See ya Windows Mail

thealmightyderpybird
5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am pretty sure this is not the Outlook you are all thinking of. This seems to be a newly developed program that for some reason is also called Outlook. 

It's based on the web app that runs outlook.com. 

But I don't think including Outlook, the fully fledged client, as the default email app in Windows would be a good idea. That program is far too bloated and heavy for most users. 

I'd argue the new app is even worse than the old one, sadly. 

Last time I tried this new app, or leaked features like:

Downloading attachments to any folder other than "downloads". 

I am fairly sure it couldn't store emails offline (or maybe that was the PWA version). 

It had a bunch of ads in it. The ads were designed to look like emails inside your inbox. 

If recall correctly, the new app doesn't support POP3 and IMAP. It uses web APIs to access the mail boxes instead and as a result, you are limited to basically just two providers, Gmail and Outlook. Last time I used it, I want able to add a regular email using IMAP. 

Honestly I think it should be crime to name two things the same thing as its tantamount to false advertising. I mean I was expecting the full fledged outlook I use for work based on how they worded this move and yet we get a outlook lite? Also I am a bit confused why Microsoft would even have another email manager in the first place if they already had outlook. I mean what benefits does having a crap one built into windows realistically give? It's not like anyone would buy windows because they wanted a garbage email app. Maybe now that they are changing it to a slightly better one it will make sense? 

Dreading the day this nerfed version of Outlook gets forced onto enterprise... Actually hate the oversimplification (which it isn't in the grand scheme of things because everything is hidden behind miles of submenus). 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

Bullshit

Yeah sure.... /s They dont really break themselves exactly to fix security issues....

I use it. I have been using the desktop Outlook as a release and my only gripe with it is that it's slow and does not have linked inboxes like the old previous mail app.

Also, side note - why is everyone just assuming that no one uses the desktop mail client? It is so much more convenient than visiting the website all the time especially considering desktop notifications.

To people, including Luke from one WAN show long back who thinks no one should use it - I know its old school to keep using web browsers, but move on with the times guys

This is concerning the mail client that virtually nobody uses, and now it's being phased out.

From my personal experience this mail client is used a lot by a lot of older people, cirtainly not "nobody".

still going to hate this, wish it could be like on the phone apps but more neutral and better to use.

Wouldn't want to touch most microsoft products, unless needed. to the online nature and whatever else is done.

i honestly never understood why people need a mail "app" since ca. 2000. Do you not have google (was called yahoo back then)?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/23/2023 at 9:07 AM, Mark Kaine said:

i honestly never understood why people need a mail "app" since ca. 2000. Do you not have google (was called yahoo back then)?

An email app has some benefits over the browser based version. At least if it's written properly. 

Letting you access multiple email addresses from one GUI for example is great. This is probably the biggest benefit. 

Being able to view and write things while offline is another benefit. Maybe not super relevant for most people, but as someone who often is in places without internet access, being able to view old emails can be a life saver. 

Performance (should) be better as well although with Microsoft's software quality I kind of doubt it will be. But a good email program should perform better than a website. This can especially be relevant if you got multiple big email accounts. It also saves a few clicks compared to opening your browser and then going to the website. 

Probably not relevant or big benefits for most people, but they certainly have their place. 

Some says that last good email client was eudora.

Anyway, since Internet News and Mail, Microsot did not deliver any memorable piece of software.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 8/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, duncannah said:

Any way to force the new Outlook? I've just reinstalled Windows on my laptop and I don't have the "New Outlook" button, it seems.

EDIT: Is this different from the macOS version? 

The toggle should come in an update to Mail and Calendar or the Microsoft 365 version of Outlook.

There might be a version of this for Macs, but the Windows version is essentially a UWP skin for the web version.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:07 AM, Mark Kaine said:

You OBVIOUSLY don't work in, or interact with other corporations. Email is the primary formal method of communication.

There is MS Teams to IM both internally and externally (external requires additional technical coordination to setup), but that's typically reserved as for small talk and more advantageous than walking down the hall to the next office.

Lemme guess, the new app requires a Microsoft account attached to Windows. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I personally use the WIndows Mail app all the time, it's simple and it just works!

Haven't tried the new Outlook app yet, but as long as they don't add any advanced features that always manage to ruin everything, I'll be happy!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I've used it for years, does everything I need it to do. I'm fine with something with more functions, but since I only use it for standard stuff, I don't really care.

Used to use the old mail app, now been using the new outlook for a while now and I believe it’s much better.

23 hours ago, StDragon said:

You OBVIOUSLY don't work in, or interact with other corporations. Email is the primary formal method of communication.

There is MS Teams to IM both internally and externally (external requires additional technical coordination to setup), but that's typically reserved as for small talk and more advantageous than walking down the hall to the next office.

how does that explain the need for an app, why cant you just use yahoo,  google , proton? (recommend proton btw)

ps: me, personally,  i very much distrust apps, so for something security relevant like email, never. and nah, i never worked anywhere where the use of an app or a certain email client was required (not to my knowledge)  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/21/2023 at 1:32 PM, Franck said:

works #1 for me. No bug no issue, low ram usage, responsive

I was gonna say what the heck am I the only one on the planet that actually likes the buit in mail client. I've never had any issues and I actually think the outlook app is worse than the built in one. It's just too much going on with it.

On 8/21/2023 at 7:32 PM, Franck said:

works #1 for me. No bug no issue, low ram usage, responsive

great for your experience. When you're ready to test something a bit more powerful and functional, you could still try Thunderbird.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

how does that explain the need for an app, why cant you just use yahoo,  google , proton? (recommend proton btw)

Because webapps are limited in functionality; they're often slow and lack refined granular features that power users rely upon. That includes all of the above you mentioned including OWA for Exchange

Outlook (the MS app installed locally) is the enterprise standard for how to communicate and coordinate. It's the one app that is used the most often due to the integration with mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks.

Two big functions that Outlook leverages as a local app is the ability to cache email offline which also aids in performance reviewing old message. Also it allows the Windows Search service to index the content for ease of looking up old content. Having local SSD storage is a godsend for that; specifically when you have 10+GB of email which is not uncommon.

BTW, I loath the GMail paradigm. Mail shouldn't be flat only to be sorted by tagging. Having real folders and sub-folders is extremely useful. Also the chain of conversations that go back and forth can be confusing compared to how everyone else does it.

42 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Because webapps are limited in functionality; they're often slow and lack refined granular features that power users rely upon. That includes all of the above you mentioned including OWA for Exchange

Outlook (the MS app installed locally) is the enterprise standard for how to communicate and coordinate. It's the one app that is used the most often due to the integration with mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks.

Two big functions that Outlook leverages as a local app is the ability to cache email offline which also aids in performance reviewing old message. Also it allows the Windows Search service to index the content for ease of looking up old content. Having local SSD storage is a godsend for that; specifically when you have 10+GB of email which is not uncommon.

BTW, I loath the GMail paradigm. Mail shouldn't be flat only to be sorted by tagging. Having real folders and sub-folders is extremely useful. Also the chain of conversations that go back and forth can be confusing compared to how everyone else does it.

good point about search functionality, with Gmail it could be very hard to find some older mails, you can fav, but there are no folders as far I can tell...

yahoo has folders though and its all relatively quick,  i suppose you could also make local backups...

but point taken for some environments these rather basic email providers might not be ideal, i was just wondering because for me the ease of use etc beats out any app (plus i obviously would not trust Microsoft with any business affairs,  i don't even have an account!  😉 )

ps: oh i love this ms launcher for my phone tho!  

its a nice Cortana alternative ig  and it makes my Samsung ui not look  like trash! (ms should never have exited phones but i digress) 

Screenshot_20230827-003858_MicrosoftLauncher.thumb.png.e60b1b530fd51d5cb32119c119e0188d.png

see, still no account ( ゚д゚)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/21/2023 at 6:28 PM, micha_vulpes said:

As a person who liked the idea of thunderbird it's execution on windows is terrible for some reason.  It has not been a viable replacement for outlook or even Windows mail for me for quite some time.

Seemingly no matter what I do. Or what service I utilize, as soon as I have about 200 emails ( not unread...not arrived, in total) across multiple computer configurations thunderbird just falls on its face. It locks up every 15-20 seconds while composing a reply.

The last version of outlook I liked was 2007/2010, but those no longer connect to most email servers due to lack of oauth. 2013 onward is click-2-run containerised web apps that I found to be crappy and in general just waste a lot of CPU recourses.

If this even gets half the functionality of actual outlook, without the mess of click2run I'll be extactic.

I use Thunderbird and have over a thousand emails in total within it. It doesn't run badly for me.

Search takes a few seconds but that's normal when you have lots of emails.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have used Windows mail when using Windows since windows 8.  It was sufficient and integrated with my calendar and played well with Google services almost from the start too.  

I've used this new outlook and NO it is not the same outlook as you get with Office 365.  It is basically a rebranding of the old app, with some styling from the outlook of office 365. 

That said, I've used that old windows mail will Office 365 for years for my job and it integrates pretty much all the core features and has for a while. 

I am hoping this will be a good thing. I do hope they don't nuke something that we use at work though. I am tired of Microsoft creating a bunch of work for me to do.

16 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

I am glad it works for you, but there are some of us it does not function well for, and never has.

I think we can put this debate to rest:
tb.png

Managing 4 gmail address. No freezing, slowdown, or crash.....

On 8/29/2023 at 1:44 AM, jagdtigger said:

I think we can put this debate to rest:
tb.png

Managing 4 gmail address. No freezing, slowdown, or crash.....

I've seen freezing and crashing even with Outlook w/ MS Exchange (cached data in OST file) and stand-alone PST files from both POP3 and archived mail.

Any mail program can suffer such afflictions because at the end of the day all mail is stored in databases. If the program or OS crashes, or system abruptly loses power (dirty shutdown), it can corrupt the local databases stored on the end-users computer. Sometimes you can repair them, sometimes not. If it's a corrupted OST file, the easiest fix is to just delete the file and relaunch Outlook to sync mail again from the server (though that can take awhile to finish)