Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

2 minutes ago, fohatadri said:

But wouldn't such a big controversy affect everything in LMG negatively because of how Steve's handled it? Revenue is definitely going down, necessary changes won't be made as quickly as everyone wants or expects them.
And again, what would a very big "sorry guys" change? It's not going to undo anything. The fact that it is such a big deal now is only because of Steve and how he knew it would definitely do a lot of harm to LMG and it's employees. If he had at least one minute to think about how it will affect people actually working there, he would have changed his approach to this but since Steve doesn't actually care, he did what he thought would harm LMG the most. 

Yes it will affect them negatively and thats the point, everyone should be held accountable to there mistakes and nobody is above that it would be the same if LTT had done a video about steve if the situation was the other way around.

You are right a sorry doesnt fix anything however its what you do when you are in the wrong or made a mistake however big or small it is. The bigger point is that you dont have to just say sorry you can work on fixing what the issue was, such as putting things in place so those issues dont happen again or if they are in place look at them again as clearly they arent working. Sorry is the first step but whats important is what your doing to make sure it doesnt happen again and trying to make right what is wrong.

Steve didnt make the video out of bad intent and its clear to see from watching so im not really sure what you are getting at when you say he is trying to hurt the people that work at LMG as they have nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, redf5 said:

Where did GN assume they are the sole person responsible for holding others accountable? Where is the arrogance? They published a well researched video with warranted criticism. That's it.

No, they published a opinion piece. Again. You're confusing opinion with journalism. That's a mistake that Steve has been making for the last year and a half. Your opinion is not journalism. Real journalist don't report exposés as matter of fact, well simultaneously not reaching out for comment. That's the kind of stuff you find in the tabloids you know what this gamers Nexus video reminds me of those old court TV shows where the prosecutor stands up and says let's talk about the facts folks and then goes on a 5 minute tirade disassembling the defense only to be thrown out by the judge later in the show

13 minutes ago, vong said:

Imagine these 2 arguing on this week's WAN show.

Not that this will ever happen, but if it did, I think we'd see a different, more petulant side to Linus than we've ever seen before. I don't think he has the chops, or maturity, to stand up to Steve's kind of in depth scrutiny in real time. Linus would end up either moping or rage quitting.

The LTT fan for a long time, this has definitely make me realize just because they make entertaining tech videos doesn't mean I can take their information as an accurate source of information. They seriously need to come out with a proper, mature response and take big corrections to their testing procedures if not they will have forever tarnished their image as a trustworthy tech channel. 

The whole water block prototype debacle is completely unacceptable, probably borderline illegal. I'm now working on a startup project and if I were to have my best built prototype sent to a tech reviewer only to have it auctioned off without my consent would be put us in instant financial ruins, let alone the reputational damage caused by the misinformed review and data because the reviewer refuse to use the intended component it was designed for.

I had a lot of trust in LTT, Linus either has a better explanation or the LTT team needs to seriously rethink their release tempo and quality standards of their videos.

2 minutes ago, the_real_ch3 said:

If the New York Times discovers impropriety and faked stories at the Washington Post would it be unethical to publish that story?

What kind of comparison is that? Are you on crack? It's more like, do you think a Coca Cola major shareholder should be reviewing Pepsi's products?

Just now, MotherboardsInThePark said:

How could two different statements about time both be true at the same time? Is your brain functioning today, darling?

I would argue that Linus is absolutely telling the truth. Linus said they reached out to pay back for the prototype, which is true! He just conveniently left out the part where he didn't do that until after everyone got upset.

nah dude someone else fucked up.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, AlphaQ214 said:

They address some of the things Steve called out in his original video there.

There's "addressing" and then there's DOING. It's what they are actively DOING that Steve is calling out here. You can "address" things all you want but actions, as we've all heard, speak louder than words.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 minute ago, fohatadri said:

Saying "sorry" to these GN fanboys is not enough. It was clear from the start it wouldn't be enough. Every comment on the first GN's video showed that people will judge this solely based on Steve's opinion and so whatever the opinion was - was also theirs.

I am subbed to LTT and not Gamers Nexus so I really didnt have a reason to pick him over Linus in some sort of bias. However I think what you have just said sums up exactly what your doing but with linus just taking his side without looking at it objectively

18 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

I'm sorry you feel bad for a two guy garage that got slammed but the product is the product and the product sucked regardless of any problems with the review. 

Their product did not suck. Their price for the block is not that far aways from the cost of GPU+CPU waterblock and extra fittings combined. Depending on where you live, it might even cost effective to get the copper block. If any product that is a bit more expensive than what a normal person would get is automatically a product that "sucks" and shouldn't exist, 90% of the hardware you see in LTT videos also shouldn't exist (fancy cases, rgb, high end gpus, 600$ motherboards, gaming chairs, the cars linus buys, etc.). Anything related to water-cooling in the first place is generally considered a giant waste of money if what you value is the price to performance ratio

1 minute ago, Cl0udK1ller said:

It is meaningless when Linus refuses to slow down making new content to improve accuracy.

If we find more inaccuracies and LTT is still pumping out daily videos than no one will believe they have change. 

Fact-checking doesn't have to reduce video frequency, it just might increase video production times and work hours required. And those extra work hours can in turn come from additional staff and/or community efforts. Of course, there may also be monetary and management costs associated with that.

The point is, there are more solutions than just reducing the number of videos created because we aren't talking about a person making videos on their own. We're talking about a company with over a hundred employees here. Companies have a lot more resources to move around than an individual, but doing so takes more time.

8 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Feels like there's no coming back from this for these two...

I guess we will see. 😄

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

I would argue that Linus is absolutely telling the truth. Linus said they reached out to pay back for the prototype, which is true! He just conveniently left out the part where he didn't do that until after everyone got upset.

So that means the GN/Billet timeline is correct while the Lienus timeline is not correct. They can't both be true at the same time, therefore Lienus is lying.

18 minutes ago, Agall said:

Yes, however, both are businessmen who got to the positions they're in probably because of a certain level of extreme work ethic, innovation, and competition. GNs been around as long as LTT, LTT's channel only being 6 months older but with 8x the subscribers. LTT's tech youtuber model has been financially more successful than GN's, objectively.

GN would be stupid to not capitalize on a solid way to publicly spit on their competition. Intel/AMD/Nvidia all do it regularly because this is a competitive marketplace. More people buying GN's merch than LTT's, the better it is for GN.

We can all wish that Steve and Linus are DMing each other every night with hearts and kissy emojis, but that's not how business works.

This doesn't seem like its done as a business decision at all, Linus has been getting away with stupid crap for a while now, like the backpack warranty incident, he tried to gaslight his audience then, and now he's doing it again by not accepting any blame or publicly apologizing to Billet, or at the least taking down the water block video. LMG needs to focus on video quality and fix the errors before rushing to put up videos, if Linus wants his company to be taken seriously then he needs to take the data in the content seriously.

GN says himself in the first video about this, there aren't any friends to be made by being objective other companies, and the risk is upsetting other companies close to LMG and causing them to not want to work with GN. There isn't anything to win and Steve clearly pissed off a lot of fanboys, those fans that might have bought GN merch might not now and defend LMG instead.

9 minutes ago, Agall said:

Keep in mind too that LTT is going through a restructuring, and as someone who's seen a fair share of those in my relatively short professional life already, they can be very difficult.

Then IMO LTT needs to slow down on videos if they can't handle a restructuring while making daily content, I'm sure they can do it as they still have merch sales and other tech channels.

1 minute ago, Legitsu said:

No, they published a opinion piece. Again. You're confusing opinion with journalism. That's a mistake that Steve has been making for the last year and a half. Your opinion is not journalism. Real journalist don't report exposés as matter of fact, well simultaneously not reaching out for comment. That's the kind of stuff you find in the tabloids you know what this gamers Nexus video reminds me of those old court TV shows where the prosecutor stands up and says let's talk about the facts folks and then goes on a 5 minute tirade disassembling the defense only to be thrown out by the judge later in the show

Well that is your opinion. He pointed out factual inaccurate data in their own videos and things they have done wrong when Linus is trying to portray the company as the arbiter of facts. 

If Linus wants to do that with the labs, he needs to make sure that he had the processes in place to make sure they are correct. 

1 minute ago, Legitsu said:

Agree with you there. But, then again, GN is not a journalistic channel. If it was idk, Polygon doing that piece or something I would def think its horrible that he didn't reach out for LMG for comments. But he's not a journalist or perceived to be.

Just now, MotherboardsInThePark said:

So that means the GN/Billet timeline is correct while the Lienus timeline is not correct. They can't both be true at the same time, therefore Lienus is lying.

Unless I missed something, Linus said nothing that wasn't the truth, he just left out the parts where it makes him look bad.

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

Already posted hours ago

Ah yea. Someone did pointed it out to me after.
I tried to search for the link of the video I posted and found none so I thought no one posted it yet.

Turns out the version I found is the cutted 12min version instead of the full 1hr+ podcast.

(Hence why searching for the YT link found none)

Anyway, thanks for calling it out. 👍

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

nah dude someone else fucked up.

I heard it was deez

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

7 minutes ago, Orthusaku said:

"We made the mistake of auctioning the block that we did not own. We are going to work to get the block back to the rightful owner, and return the money from the auction. We did not accurately review the prototype and will be deleting the video about it. We will be making a video going out the changes we will be making to ensure our data is both accurate, valid, and not used incorrectly."

How hard would that have been?

4 minutes ago, AlphaQ214 said:

My biggest complaint with everything is both are taken out of context. Listen to ALL of last weeks WAN Show. They address some of the things Steve called out in his original video there.

Hell he  mentions how accessible he is to Steve. Steve was one of the fist ones to contact him, trough personal channels about the hack. It's getting lost in the noise. But Steve has pretty much ghosted Linus since 'Trust me Bro' How do you do a piece like that and not reach out for comment? Then to do it again in what was clearly revenge after that wan show. What ever points Steve made went down the drain with his integrity when he did that IMO. And No one is talking about that. Steve calls himself a journalist? He's proving to be nothing more than another petty you-tuber.

25 minutes ago, JorjXMcKie said:

Linus' response calling out the difference between a sale and auction is even crazier when you realize at no point did GN accuse them of selling the block - they just accurately reported it was put up for auction.

It's sad to see this going down like this.

And the fanboys defending that is just fucken insane.

AUCTIONING IT OR SELLING IT MAKES NO DAMN DIFFERENCE. WHAT THEY STILL DID WAS STEALING SOMETHING THAT DID NOT BELONG TO THEM.

If I were to take another companies hardware and without permission sell it at auction my ass would be in jail within minutes.

What @LinusTech did and by extension his company was intellectual property theft.

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

Unless I missed something, Linus said nothing that wasn't the truth, he just left out the parts where it makes him look bad.

This is what's referred to as a "lie by omission."

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

The only I really says that is concern for me is billet lab video card block.  LTT should responded to that.  That should be own video on main channel.  Not just WAN show.  Using 4090 when another card should be used. They could still ran 4090. Then in follow up video that should test it with correct card. Maybe have billet lab if still willing come on show how should it be mounted.  This would serve as way for LTT show that have made thing correct with vendor. If they have actioned off the part that was not part of the original deal. They should get that back. See if there something else they can give person won.  I would just make the video not necessarily call out community said we should to do it.

As far the other review mistakes. LTT really just needs makes sure the mistakes are looked policy changed or corrected to lessen the risk of that happening