Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

13 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Some people don't take correction well no matter how politely it is offered.  To be corrected feels like an attack.  In short his reaction to being corrected when he thinks he is right is very common and very ... human.   Aren't we all jerks sometimes? 

Everyone's jerks sometimes, and it's okay to initially have a knee jerk reaction; but Linus conduct before and after really has shown how he can lack empathy or even levelheaded ness.

GN didn't really even enter into the whole labs vs GN until after Linus was the one who essentially called GN out for journalistic integrity.  The whole "trust me bro" stuff had happened months earlier; so at that point Linus really was just calling out GN for something that had no point in being talked about (trying to almost drag GN into this type of debate).

Not really related either, but the way LMG conducts themselves is sometimes just disturbing that they think it's somehow right.

Rants about bad painters, from everything he has described it sounds like he is "one of those clients".  One who looks over your shoulder and questions them saying they are doing it wrong (there was a professional painter who broke down things that Linus said were wrong)

During the whole OceanGate stuff; they literally made a joke about using a controller to operate (a clear jab at OceanGate).  With the lack of respect that people lost their lives, it's not something to make jokes about (iirc it was released within like a week of announcing that the people died)

Stated a product was < $1000, even though it was $5000+; and still hasn't corrected the video

The whole playstation rant (one where I suspect legal might have been involved by Sony in regards to his essential apology video)

The WAN show commentary of the Billet; that to me is disgusting

The gliders on the mouse; and yet he somehow thinks he shouldn't have to disclose who gives him products and relationship with those companies with is quote "anyone with a functioning brainstem" can tell.  Yet his presenters can't figure out a plastic sticker.

Made incorrect statements about Musk, only to have to correct it the week after and then go on another rant using more incorrect information

Overall, Linus has shown that he is not someone to be trusted, and for the better part he lets his ego and thinking he's above the law essentially prevail.

23 hours ago, ShardsSuperior said:

My recommendation is to ignore IKWMTY and let this thread die. In fact, ignore anyone who has that red hand on their profile picture - most of them clearly just joined this forum to fan flames.

Letting the past be forgotten can lead to no changes being done and no accountability.  Until LMG has proven to change, I think it's important to keep it very on the minds of people and to keep calling out LMG until they decide to change.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Linus is simply person of LMG. Founder, main host, CVO, former CEO, shareholder. But he's not the whole LMG.

LMG lacked in professionality, quality control, respect for companies which provided the products... for "supposed unboxings" (yet too much shortreview) or for "supposed reviews" (Billet Labs waterblock might also be total trash, but this kind of test is simply unaceptable).

No apologies. Yet, no pulldown for videos, yet joking during "What we do now?" video, with only the CFO speaking about "errors". Not CVO, not the host. No apologies..

This won't go under the rug.

About errors during the reviews or the unboxings, might happen. It's not fine, but again... might happen. Improptu frase from Jake Tivy about supposed quality of ASUS GPUs definitely should not happen, even in sponsored content. Because assuming what did you not tested is quite close to a lie. As sponsored content, you need to talk about the true advantages of the product. If a company or a host "lie" for a sponsor it's generating a strong loss of credibility.

(FWIW, i think that Asus gamecards are just fine, but i'm not an host about products!)

About "LMG screws up big time, sometimes"... dishwasher keyboard cleanup. Yep. How many keyboards make that video die?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Everyone's jerks sometimes, and it's okay to initially have a knee jerk reaction; but Linus conduct before and after really has shown how he can lack empathy or even levelheaded ness.

You make him sound thoroughly mad, bad, and dangerous to know.  Like he's Caligula. Overseeing a min empire of debauchery  

Speaking of whom.  Give a great deal of influence, an a reasonable measure of money and power to someone .... on the young side... and you get Linus 9 times out of 10.   Everything you said is true and it would make sense to be done with Linus.  

I hope the recent events lead him to think things over and try to do better. 

(I should talk.  I've compared him to Hank Scorpio a bod villain like character from a Simpsosn episode.) 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

You make him sound thoroughly mad, bad, and dangerous to know.  Like he's Caligula. Overseeing a min empire of debauchery  

Speaking of whom.  Give a great deal of influence, an a reasonable measure of money and power to someone .... on the young side... and you get Linus 9 times out of 10.   Everything you said is true and it would make sense to be done with Linus.  

I hope the recent events lead him to think things over and try to do better. 

(I should talk.  I've compared him to Hank Scorpio a bod villain like character from a Simpsosn episode.) 

Are you really saying that Linus and the way he does business is 9 out of 10 youtubers?

Guys, get a grip of the reality. LMG has more integrity than 90% of the youtube space, if not more. Linus Media Group, Gamers Nexus, Jay Z and all of the others are the top 10% of the creators and if you want to be unfair you can put LMG on the botton of this top 10%. But, don't be crazy, they are not even close to the other 90%.

wow this is still going? 374 pages of this?!! This is like some kind of weird obsession.  I mean, it's been weeks at this point. Imagine if you were this passionate about something ACTUALLY important...

16 minutes ago, Kresnik-02 said:

Are you really saying that Linus and the way he does business is 9 out of 10 youtubers?

Guys, get a grip of the reality. LMG has more integrity than 90% of the youtube space, if not more. Linus Media Group, Gamers Nexus, Jay Z and all of the others are the top 10% of the creators and if you want to be unfair you can put LMG on the botton of this top 10%. But, don't be crazy, they are not even close to the other 90%.

9/10 youtubers aren't running an operation the size of LMG.  Money and power change people.  He has / had at a relatively young age a high degree of both.  

99/100 youtube channels are 1 person operations.  Maybe they hire a freelancer here or there. 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

9/10 youtubers aren't running an operation the size of LMG.  Money and power change people.  He has / had at a relatively young age a high degree of both.  

99/100 youtube channels are 1 person operations.  Maybe they hire a freelancer here or there. 

I'm not going to argue with you if your point is that 9 out of 10 people on Linus position would act the same way because this is so wrong that I don't know how to start. If it is pointing that the average tech youtuber sells itself for china crap, the biggest youtuber sold himself for a virtual burger chain and it's finally getting to him.

Anyway, good luck.

2 hours ago, Kresnik-02 said:

I'm not going to argue with you if your point is that 9 out of 10 people on Linus position would act the same way because this is so wrong that I don't know how to start. If it is pointing that the average tech youtuber sells itself for china crap, the biggest youtuber sold himself for a virtual burger chain and it's finally getting to him.

Anyway, good luck.

Yeah you're right.  Power does not corrupt, and money never changes people. 🙂 

8 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Not really like that; but his whole response and prior actions does seem to show how he lacks empathy or just how he lacks the levelheadedness to be the owner of a company like LMG.  Making jokes about sponsor spots, etc on an apology video is almost as bad as singing the apology; it just shows that he's not aware of how people would react.

Although, the server room fire was caused by not reading the instructions (even though it wasn't a LMG employee, makes you think how much was caused by the same mentality)

As someone else also pointed out in the laser short circuit video; the went against the recommended installation of the fire suppression system.

17 hours ago, Kresnik-02 said:

While ultimately I support Linus, I think he has the intelligence to demonstrate integrity but I don't think he necessarily has more integrity than others. I have seen many examples where he has wavered on his expressed principles, even if he never actually broke his principles. For example with the screwdriver released he seriously considered breaking his no preorder rule. He ultimately found a way to do an in person event so that people could try and review it before making it available as "backorders" but he seriously almost broke his rule cause he needed the money.

Overall I think the difference between him having integrity and him having the intelligence to demonstrate integrity is more or less just how his priorities are ordered though. In the end he is gonna do the right thing, but he may prioritize his business over the community from time to time and we need to stay vigilant on that.

Edit:
To be clear, I don't think he lacks integrity, I do think he overall has pretty strong integrity, I just don't think it's as strong as it could be. It just appears so strong because it's boosted by the fact that he is incredibly knowledgeable on how to manage a community and keep that community happy.

3 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

While ultimately I support Linus, I think he has the intelligence to demonstrate integrity but I don't think he necessarily has more integrity than others. I have seen many examples where he has wavered on his expressed principles, even if he never actually broke his principles. For example with the screwdriver released he seriously considered breaking his no preorder rule. He ultimately found a way to do an in person event so that people could try and review it before making it available as "backorders" but he seriously almost broke his rule cause he needed the money.

Overall I think the difference between him having integrity and him having the intelligence to demonstrate integrity is more or less just how his priorities are ordered though. In the end he is gonna do the right thing, but he may prioritize his business over the community from time to time and we need to stay vigilant on that.

Edit:
To be clear, I don't think he lacks integrity, I do think he overall has pretty strong integrity, I just don't think it's as strong as it could be. It just appears so strong because it's boosted by the fact that he is incredibly knowledgeable on how to manage a community and keep that community happy.

I do agree with everything that you said. He is not perfect and not as good as he claim to be. He just isn't on the botton 90% of the youtubers/internet influencers at all. Like I said, at worst, he is the botton of the 90%.

There is some mental gimnastics with floatplane exclusive content, with the preorder, even the trust me bro he was blind to how important was to the community to have that piece of paper.

15 minutes ago, Kresnik-02 said:

I do agree with everything that you said. He is not perfect and not as good as he claim to be. He just isn't on the botton 90% of the youtubers/internet influencers at all. Like I said, at worst, he is the botton of the 90%.

There is some mental gimnastics with floatplane exclusive content, with the preorder, even the trust me bro he was blind to how important was to the community to have that piece of paper.

Agreed. I also have an issue how he constantly bashes the idea of being a fan of a company due to the inherent fact that a company exists for the sole purpose of making money, yet he never really calls himself out for also having similar motives. I don't think he does it maliciously, but I feel he is somewhat blind to the idea that he could do evil simply because he knows deep down he intends not to do evil. He says we're the boss and that he has us covered, but at the end of the day priority number 1 is actually his employees and the business, which is how all the quality control issues even manifested to begin with, and how he could think it was a good idea to not retest the water block to save a few hundred bucks and employee time.

I don't think this makes him a selfish person. He clearly cares about his employees to the point he is always late for WAN Show because he doesn't want his employees to fall behind because of him. But the motivating factor is the employees and making us happy is just the means by which he is able to support his employees.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:12 AM, wanderingfool2 said:

GN didn't really even enter into the whole labs vs GN until after Linus was the one who essentially called GN out for journalistic integrity.  The whole "trust me bro" stuff had happened months earlier; so at that point Linus really was just calling out GN for something that had no point in being talked about (trying to almost drag GN into this type of debate).

Not really related either, but the way LMG conducts themselves is sometimes just disturbing that they think it's somehow right.

Rants about bad painters, from everything he has described it sounds like he is "one of those clients".  One who looks over your shoulder and questions them saying they are doing it wrong (there was a professional painter who broke down things that Linus said were wrong)

During the whole OceanGate stuff; they literally made a joke about using a controller to operate (a clear jab at OceanGate).  With the lack of respect that people lost their lives, it's not something to make jokes about (iirc it was released within like a week of announcing that the people died)

Stated a product was < $1000, even though it was $5000+; and still hasn't corrected the video

The whole playstation rant (one where I suspect legal might have been involved by Sony in regards to his essential apology video)

The WAN show commentary of the Billet; that to me is disgusting

The gliders on the mouse; and yet he somehow thinks he shouldn't have to disclose who gives him products and relationship with those companies with is quote "anyone with a functioning brainstem" can tell.  Yet his presenters can't figure out a plastic sticker.

Made incorrect statements about Musk, only to have to correct it the week after and then go on another rant using more incorrect information

Overall, Linus has shown that he is not someone to be trusted, and for the better part he lets his ego and thinking he's above the law essentially prevail.

Letting the past be forgotten can lead to no changes being done and no accountability.  Until LMG has proven to change, I think it's important to keep it very on the minds of people and to keep calling out LMG until they decide to change.

This is just stupid.

Linus did not called GN out of journalistic integrity.

He is asking people that is upset about Tim statement they can complaint directly to him.

GN got called out by many people on journalistic integriry because of the video about Linus.

And I disagree with people statement that GN mention about previous incident not resolved is about 'trust me bro' issue as it was resolved months ago.

I think the issue that was never resolved is the issue abiut Asus that GN campaign hard to other influencer to follow his lead and he migbt be one of the person to push Linus to drop Asus for LTX.

For me this explain a lot about why Steve choose to minimize Gary as just Asus lackek and his focus on Asus sponsorship on LTX.

Steve clearly unhappy that Linus does not follow his bandwagon to cancel Asus to the issue he raised.

Heck Linus even did an explation on the driver issue and get a feedback from Asus about the waranty issue. Indireclt discounting Steve effort.

And as you know the issue with the Ryzen CPU also experienced by other brand like MSI but Steve choose to focus to Asus. Maybe he have some other issue with Asus on the background?

With Steve have issue with Asus and Linus somewhat twathed his previus attempt to attack Asus, he clearly see Linus is a conveniece target to hit.

I think Linus is relatively good and ethical person. The problem for his that he is too open so he is very easy to attack. And the other thing he put a higher standard on himself and openly state abiut it so people have higher expectations on him. So no one even blink an eye when Steve put standards that even Steve might not follow.

framework is an example, Linus is very open about his investment and put himself on journalism standard of disclosure. There should not been any issue in the normal journalism ethical standard in regards to Bias. But when Steve put much higher standard of bias where no one follow, as it is stupid, no one blink am eyes as everone think Linus should have higher standard. That is BS as the standard Steve require on his video is something that even Steve does not follow. As an ex Dell worker, he still review Dell (without disclosure). Working there can be positively or negatively impact Steve perception on Dell. We do not know for sure as he did not openly talk about the experience nor he disclose it. In addition, he did not openly disclose his investment. If he using the standard himself he should disclose that information as he could profit from his investment from his video reviewing or attacking a brand

11 hours ago, Cooldoe said:

This is just stupid.

Linus did not called GN out of journalistic integrity.

He is asking people that is upset about Tim statement they can complaint directly to him.

GN got called out by many people on journalistic integriry because of the video about Linus.

And I disagree with people statement that GN mention about previous incident not resolved is about 'trust me bro' issue as it was resolved months ago.

I think the issue that was never resolved is the issue abiut Asus that GN campaign hard to other influencer to follow his lead and he migbt be one of the person to push Linus to drop Asus for LTX.

He did though; just not specifically by name, but anyone who watched it that knew about the whole "Trust me Bro" drama knows who he's talking about.  The whole lets be a community rant, followed by him throwing shade at GN without directly mentioning them is pretty much towing the line of being hypocritical.

I think at the time of the Trust me Bro Linus had talked about how he wasn't reached out to.

framework is an example, Linus is very open about his investment and put himself on journalism standard of disclosure.

Framework is an example of Linus trying to hold himself as an neutral party and following disclosure...and yet he's in violation of some of the laws.

He has a material stake in Framework, yet on the most of the last laptop videos (when Framework wasn't the highlight) no mention of Framework.  Even on the video that essentially talked about repair-ability and effectively the modularity of laptops...no mention of Framework (despite there being strong comments in pushing for modularity...).  So no, Framework isn't a good example of Linus being open.

I think Linus is relatively good and ethical person. The problem for his that he is too open so he is very easy to attack. And the other thing he put a higher standard on himself and openly state abiut it so people have higher expectations on him. So no one even blink an eye when Steve put standards that even Steve might not follow.

Good and ethical...does an ethical person leak critical information multiple times?  (He literally leaked employee salaries/etc before)...at a certain point it's unethical to use your same laptop for a show where you are going to share your screen...especially when there are tons of laptops in your office.

Does an ethical person call out a company for a mistake your employee should catch .

Does an ethical person refuse to mention who provides what products when the products are the highlight of the video; and does an ethical person leave up a video where they state a product was cheap under $1000 when in reality it was over $5000

An ethical person doesn't tell his employees to post a video where they want to retest just for the sake of posting.

10 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

He did though; just not specifically by name, but anyone who watched it that knew about the whole "Trust me Bro" drama knows who he's talking about.  The whole lets be a community rant, followed by him throwing shade at GN without directly mentioning them is pretty much towing the line of being hypocritical.

I think at the time of the Trust me Bro Linus had talked about how he wasn't reached out to.

Framework is an example of Linus trying to hold himself as an neutral party and following disclosure...and yet he's in violation of some of the laws.

He has a material stake in Framework, yet on the most of the last laptop videos (when Framework wasn't the highlight) no mention of Framework.  Even on the video that essentially talked about repair-ability and effectively the modularity of laptops...no mention of Framework (despite there being strong comments in pushing for modularity...).  So no, Framework isn't a good example of Linus being open.

Good and ethical...does an ethical person leak critical information multiple times?  (He literally leaked employee salaries/etc before)...at a certain point it's unethical to use your same laptop for a show where you are going to share your screen...especially when there are tons of laptops in your office.

Does an ethical person call out a company for a mistake your employee should catch .

Does an ethical person refuse to mention who provides what products when the products are the highlight of the video; and does an ethical person leave up a video where they state a product was cheap under $1000 when in reality it was over $5000

An ethical person doesn't tell his employees to post a video where they want to retest just for the sake of posting.

anyone who watched it that knew about the whole "Trust me Bro" drama knows who he's talking about.

1. So basically it is just an assumption. And not everyone ties it to Steve, many others call Linus out on that instance.

2. Again another assumption. And this is actuallt counter point your reasonling that Steve does not call Linus before making the video because he called during the trust me bro issue and there is no resolution. If Linus is talking about Steve not calling him on the trust me bro then there is no reason for Steve not to follow ethical journalist standard to hear the other side if the story right? See how flawed your logic is?

3. What law are you talking about? Your law Steve always right? 😂

He has a material stake in Framework, yet on the most of the last laptop videos (when Framework wasn't the highlight) no mention of Framework.  Even on the video that essentially talked about repair-ability and effectively the modularity of laptops...

4. What do you define material stake? Linus own less than 10% of the framework is many definition of stock ownership it is not material.

5. Are you dumb or pretent to be dumb? The need to disclosure is to highlight he own a stake in laptop company. If he bring out framework in reviews of product that does not include frame work or always compare it to framework it is actually unethical.

6. Back to your tech Jesus. Have Steve disclose in every Dell video that he used to work for Dell? Have he stop reviewing Dell products or even,using his definition of bias for Linus, stop reviewing product that in competition with Dell?

7. Have Steve disclose his investment?

Good and ethical...does an ethical person leak critical information multiple times? 

8. Whose information that he leaked? Most of the time is his own company information that he have the right to disclose.

9. If other people information he is wrong of course but I do not see him doing it deliberately.

certain point it's unethical to use your same laptop for a show where you are going to share your screen...especially when there are tons of laptops in your office.

10. Again you are playing dumb here. It is never unethical to do that if you believe that you are truly helpless. When you are doing presentation in a meeting whose laptop do you think most people use? Most of the time is their own unless if there is an assistant who run the powerpoint slide.

11. You are talking about pwned mouse? People keep saying if someone look at the bottom they can see there is plastic film on the feet. Well the host did that on the video and he did not notice it. Maybe he should look closely but definately it is not clear for him. And normal user might not notice it as well. There should be some marking on it to help customers to see that. It is actully will help the mouse customer experience

12. Clearly you have a very biased definition of what is ethical or lack of understanding what is ethics.

13. What I see is Steve is a hypocrite as he talk about ethics but he did not even follow the normal ethical rule. He is following whatever convinience to him. I do not see him as ethical at all.

On 9/10/2023 at 5:36 AM, Cooldoe said:

-snip-

i already said this early in this thread, the irony "Steve" calling someone out on integrity is not lost on me.

The difference between him and ltt is, he hides it better. 

both are not objective and never will be, they're salesmen nothing else nothing more (just need to look at their background what they did before "youtube")

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/25/2023 at 6:08 PM, NubCak said:

Unions keep the lazy fed by docking the hardworkers.

This is not true.

Management has no incentive to pay you more.

Just because you might be good at your job does not mean you will be good at negotiating.

There is a power imbalance and information asymmetry in any negotiation between employer and employee.