Is Utah safe? (travelling, night sky photography)

YellowJersey

So... I was planning on going to Nevada for a few days to photograph the Milky Way late this week or early next week, but every place in Nevada I can find that would have nice dark skies to shoot under is going to be covered in cloud (and if I'm flying from Canada, I need a fairly clear forecast to justify the cost). So, I've identified an alternative site near Hanksville, Utah.

So, my question is: Is it safe to be out in the desert at night by yourself in Utah? Am I more or less likely to end up in someone's freezer by going somewhere else?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

6 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

So... I was planning on going to Nevada for a few days to photograph the Milky Way late this week or early next week, but every place in Nevada I can find that would have nice dark skies to shoot under is going to be covered in cloud (and if I'm flying from Canada, I need a fairly clear forecast to justify the cost). So, I've identified an alternative site near Hanksville, Utah.

So, my question is: Is it safe to be out in the desert at night by yourself in Utah? Am I more or less likely to end up in someone's freezer by going somewhere else?

... what.

yes, all states are safe. There is always a risk, but even phrasing it that way is weird and makes people ask why say that. 

You’re not particularly likely to come across anything malicious in nature touristy places to begin with. 
Though do keep in mind the general safety of being out in the middle of the desert by yourself, which is pretty self explanatory. Bring water, communication, and redundancies for any plans you have.

There are a metric fuckload of coyotes in central Utah and they’d be your primary concern, especially if traveling solo. Generally speaking coyotes messing around with people is extremely rare, but most of the time it happens it’s a lot of coyotes and one person, they have higher confidence against individual people.

The chances of you even encountering coyotes would be pretty low, and lower still the chances of them doing anything other than fucking off a mile away in any other direction, but the chances are not zero.

But that’s about it, those are the only aspects to be concerned with. Death by exposure by taking no precaution for the nature of the desert, or death by coyotes by statistical anomaly and carelessness.

16 minutes ago, 8tg said:

You’re not particularly likely to come across anything malicious in nature touristy places to begin with. 
Though do keep in mind the general safety of being out in the middle of the desert by yourself, which is pretty self explanatory. Bring water, communication, and redundancies for any plans you have.

There are a metric fuckload of coyotes in central Utah and they’d be your primary concern, especially if traveling solo. Generally speaking coyotes messing around with people is extremely rare, but most of the time it happens it’s a lot of coyotes and one person, they have higher confidence against individual people.

The chances of you even encountering coyotes would be pretty low, and lower still the chances of them doing anything other than fucking off a mile away in any other direction, but the chances are not zero.

But that’s about it, those are the only aspects to be concerned with. Death by exposure by taking no precaution for the nature of the desert, or death by coyotes by statistical anomaly and carelessness.

I'm pretty experienced with the outdoors. I'm just more concerned about some wacko coming up and hacking me to pieces with a machete.

5 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I'm pretty experienced with the outdoors. I'm just more concerned about some wacko coming up and hacking me to pieces with a machete.

I don’t think that would happen pretty much anywhere. It’s Utah, not Uganda.

1 hour ago, YellowJersey said:

Thats... not a thing. 

Be sure to have some clothing that will keep you warm at night too - I know it's about Summertime but deserts are known to have extreme temp swings too, even in warmer months.
It's just known fact rocky areas don't retain heat at night as well as areas with alot of vegetation and you have basically no vegetation around in a desert to have a warming/insulating effect to the surroundings.
Rock itself tends to radiate heat readily, all that going to space like heat will do anyway and that's why temps can drop the way they do in a desert.

Up in Utah, it's not like it would be in Arizona climate-wise so even if you don't use it, better to have it with you and not use it than to need it but not have it.

As for the wildlife, take at least some precautions when out and have readily onhand whatever you may need for self protection. Again it's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.

7 hours ago, 8tg said:

Yes, Coyotes can be brave at times esp in numbers and if you're unprepared you may pay the price but normally they won't bother you, just don't have any exposed food or even food scraps around to attract them (Scent) to where you are in the first place - That way you hopefully won't attract them and have to deal with them at all.
In truth that goes for just about anywhere you are.
Tupperware and Ziplock bags are probrably your best friends towards that end because of how well they seal.

All the rest such as extra water and so on applies too.

If you go, be safe and enjoy it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

It’s sad that the US has been maligned so thoroughly in the news, that travelers have these expectations.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

41 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

It’s sad that the US has been maligned so thoroughly in the news, that travelers have these expectations.

To be fair, it's pretty well earned in many places.

@YellowJersey make sure you wear long pants. The locals might not be scary or dangerous, but rattlesnakes are a real threat. Be aware, especially in the early evening, right before, during, and after sunset.

Also, make sure you stay on public land. @atxcyclist is right that the US isn't quite as menacing and horrible as portrayed on the news, but you might end up in trouble if you stray onto private property. Public land, though, you should be fine. Just watch out for stingy or bitey critters.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

11 hours ago, 8tg said:

Generally speaking coyotes messing around with people is extremely rare, but most of the time it happens it’s a lot of coyotes and one person, they have higher confidence against individual people.

My buddy was once stalked by a pack of 6 or 7 while walking through his neighborhood in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago. As you said, chances of them messing with you are low, but not zero. I'd definitely be more concerned if I was out in the desert alone than if I was in a suburban area.

Definitely something to keep an eye out and account for.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

World is quite a puzzle, 8 billion piece of a puzzle that is.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

you're more likely to have a Mormon come and and try to convert you in the middle of the desert than have some random try and attack you

“Stargazing? Hey, while I’ve got you, can I tell you about the celestial kingdom?”

yeah all the above advice is fine. Make sure you’ve got long pants/shirt, a full tank of gas, and you’re on public land. If you’re in like, Zion National Park, even better. 

If you're not experienced with a gun, I'd suggest a shotgun if you can get one at all to have with you.
That way all you have to do is point it about where the threat is and you won't miss..... And probrably tag one or two others in the process if the barrel is a shorter one.
Normally the shot pattern stays kinda tight with a standard length barrel but the shorter it is, the more the pattern spreads out and gets other stuff/targets/coyotes....
In this case anyway.

Besides, the noise it will probrably make them want to run away.
Watch your 6 because they will try and circle behind you while you're dealing with one or two upfront - It's just their pack mentality (Instinct) at work with that.
Don't let them get too close either - When they get to within a certain distance, just let 'em have it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

On 6/12/2023 at 1:55 AM, YellowJersey said:

You’re talking the desert and not the bad part of Detroit. I’d say you will probably be fine. Like others said be aware of wild animals. 

To be frank I would have been more concerned about going to the deserts surrounding Las Vegas, as there are many bodies out there, Utah probably not that much. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, starsmine said:

... you dont need a gun.

That's up to the OP, not me or you to determine.
I'm just saying if they go that would probrably be their best option if they take one.

You could just go on Facebook or other places where people like you gather (or astronomy fans, whatever) and see if there's a bunch of you willing to get together some place in Utah to take pictures or use telescopes, whatever ... safety in numbers, some people to chat with if you feel like it.

Maybe see if there's some caravan / camper / van parking places where you could pay for a night and maybe the owners have some land around the area and will let you go away from the light sources on their land to  do your thing

8 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

That's up to the OP, not me or you to determine.
I'm just saying if they go that would probrably be their best option if they take one.

Like I said, I'm a dirty foreigner... I'm not sure I'm even eligible to buy a gun. I don't even want one!

10 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Like I said, I'm a dirty foreigner...

I seriously doubt you're "dirty"...... I mean you do shower at night right? 😁

10 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

I'm not sure I'm even eligible to buy a gun. I don't even want one!

TBH I"m not 100% sure about it myself related to if you could buy one or not.
As for just having one "Handy" under the same circumstances I know I would, but then again it is your choice after all.

*** Thread locked ***

"2nd amendment" and other gun talk don't belong in this thread. Some of it doesn't belong on the forums at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv