Steam decks used to control machine guns

sgreenberg

Summary

A facebook account showed images and the background of a machine gun, called Sablya, being remotely opperated via steam deck.

Quotes

Images shared on ТРО Меdia's Facebook account (h/t GamingOnLinux) show various aspects of the turret design and soldiers deploying it for testing in a field. In one of the seven images, a remote operator is seen clearly holding a shiny Steam Deck, with the machine gun turret in the background. It would be even more interesting to see what the remote control interface looks like, but perhaps the interface/UI is a military secret.

TPO Media shared some brief background information on the remote machine gun turret alongside the photos. Called 'Sablya,' the turret is an "automated remote controlled" device, which suggests that the turret might operate with some degree of autonomy. It's possible that, as well as manual remote monitoring, aiming, and firing, the Sablya may be able to be programmed with the Steam Deck to mark targets and let the gun do its job as quickly and efficiently as possible. 

My thoughts

What are the chances that the steam deck runs steam games when it is on break?

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-deck-controls-a-real-ukrainian-army-machine-gun-turret-report 

Asus ROG Ally is 2x faster so they gonna add more and better machine guns. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I have two thoughts.

First, they've been using Xbox Controllers on remote weapon systems for over a decade because military personnel are used to the command interface. (Heck, professional sport leagues use them for replay stuff, haha.) So, nothing is really surprising about that.

Second, of course a Valve product will be at the heart of the Robot Apocalypse. At what point in the last 15 years wasn't that obvious? The Gaben is Eternal.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

omg, a computer is used to control things a computer would control!

it's not like general atomic invented a weapon in 1995 that had fpv camera and equipped with weapons and that could be remote controlled.

Remember Apple invented the cellphone and Kim Jong-Un invented the wheel.

Let me controll it with a mouse to see what happens.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

"Computerized targeting system put on different computer." 🥱

On the other hand, having the Steam deck operate a machine gun sounds like the most Valve thing ever. 😂

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

10 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Let me controll it with a mouse to see what happens.

Some drone systems have mouse and keyboard:

image.thumb.png.f98042793aad0680751a9ab5ebc1fcef.png

And there was the time when the US Army used the Playstation 3 in their server farm:

image.thumb.png.6c2a20e544c7bb22cca1676e80fd2bd8.png

image.png.c434416c9d996ecda347582ab20eb9d2.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

54 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Some drone systems have mouse and keyboard:

image.thumb.png.f98042793aad0680751a9ab5ebc1fcef.png

And there was the time when the US Army used the Playstation 3 in their server farm:

image.thumb.png.6c2a20e544c7bb22cca1676e80fd2bd8.png

image.png.c434416c9d996ecda347582ab20eb9d2.png

I still game with a trac ball ^^

1 hour ago, Why_Me said:

I still game with a trac ball ^^

I used that exact mouse model for at least a decade and only upgraded to it's wireless version when it stopped being produced, (i went through 2 of the wired version,in both cases the left click broke). Still using the wireless one.

40 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I used that exact mouse model for at least a decade and only upgraded to it's wireless version when it stopped being produced, (i went through 2 of the wired version,in both cases the left click broke). Still using the wireless one.

Tough to beat a trac ball imo for those who play first person shooter games.

Remote systems for machine guns/rifles have existed for a long time, with similar utility as a Steam Deck (screen and analog controls). Only natural that some applications would make use of the hardware. 

Other systems are moving to VR-like setups as well.

On 4/28/2023 at 6:59 AM, Franck said:

it's not like general atomic invented a weapon in 1995 that had fpv camera and equipped with weapons and that could be remote controlled.

I had fun with that weapon in UT3; it was called the "Redeemer". I miss that game.

1) Why was this never mentioned at Teched Linked?!

2) I doubt that there is a big point in using such a powerful device for this job and I think there could be simpler chipper alternative. Especially considering that the device does not possess any military level specification, like water resistance, impact resistance, high working temperatures range, etc. l think it was chosen primarily due to its popularity.

3) Though it is a top gaming device, it is much cheaper than any special military alternative, much more accessible, and gives much more flexibility for developers. The same situation is with consumer drones, like Mavic and others, that became primary weapons in today's war and give much more flexibility for such price than any "real" military drone.

4) What many ordinary people in the "West" do not understand, is that Ukrainian soldiers today are in majority just boys of 18-35 years of age, who are protecting their homes and families. They all grew up playing CS, CoD, WoT, WoW, etc., they are very tech-savvy at сonsumer level and higher. Ukraine has one of the highest percentages of population with high educational levels in the world, and is one of the leading countries in programmers. So, it can't be surprising that, combined with high motivation due to the need in survival, such experiments are pretty common at low and mid levels, and many of them, if effective, result later in mass production, primarily financed by different charity/donation programs by Ukrainians and people from other countries.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:59 AM, Arika S said:

omg, a computer is used to control things a computer would control!

Don't you know? The deck is not a computer cause it has a touchscreen and doesn't come with a keyboard and windows

/S

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I wonder if the Steam Deck's gyros and touch enabled joysticks play a role in this. They might be the reason why they chose this over any other device. This is actually a lot more interesting than you guys think. 

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I wonder if the Steam Deck's gyros and touch enabled joysticks play a role in this. They might be the reason why they chose this over any other device. This is actually a lot more interesting than you guys think. 

Realistically, they probably tried a Switch first, but as soon as it connected to the internet they got banned and Nintendo sued them. 

Mostly /s

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 5/5/2023 at 6:43 AM, IkeaGnome said:

Realistically, they probably tried a Switch first, but as soon as it connected to the internet they got banned and Nintendo sued them. 

Mostly /s

Nintendo suing a military for using their products in a war because it doesn't fit their "Family-Friendly" image would be the most Nintendo thing ever.

the more I think about it, the more plausible it sounds

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

On 5/5/2023 at 6:43 AM, IkeaGnome said:

Mostly /s

They also weren't keen on using 7-year-old hardware. What games would they play after a nice day of defending the country? Smash Bros. ew no thanks

Boot up COD on the Steam Deck and pwn russian blyats after pwning them IRL

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

6 minutes ago, Hassan170 said:

Nintendo suing a military for using their products in a war because it doesn't fit their "Family-Friendly" image would be the most Nintendo thing ever.

in current year that would more of a Sony thing that Nintendo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>