Windows 11 Desktop Watermarks Start Appearing on Unsupported Systems or Computers Without Compatibility

Summary

Microsoft may start more aggressively blocking older CPUs from running Windows 11. As Microsoft is taking steps to encourage users running Windows 11 on unsupported hardware to upgrade their systems or downgrade to Windows 10. This change comes in the form of a watermark in the lower right corner of the desktop, displaying the message "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more." Users have reported seeing this message since the January 2023 Patch Tuesday update.

57jCrZFKtnO7vcJ8.jpg.878f8ca9e21ac365985f1dfa7c2f595f.jpg

requirements-not-met.jpg.ce7937b092561c470d7c9b28b8946e60.jpg

Quotes

Users have been circumventing Windows 11's controversial system requirements since the OS first launched, and Microsoft has held an executioner's sword over the "unsupported" PCs' heads ever since. A recent update suggests Redmond may finally bring it down soon.

Since the January 2023 Patch Tuesday update, users running the production version of Windows 11 2H22 on unsupported hardware have reported, via the Windows Feedback Hub and Microsoft's forums, seeing a watermark that says "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more" in the lower right corner of their desktop. 

"Going to settings and clicking the 'Learn more' hyperlink brings me the to the Microsoft website talking about installing 11 on devices with system requirements un-met. It also suggests reverting back to 10 and that you can only do this 10 days after upgrading," reports one user on the Microsoft Community forums. Another user on the Windows feedback hub reports they bought their PC with Windows 11 preinstalled, and are only now seeing this message. 

Windows 11's strict system requirements have faced criticism for not officially supporting CPUs older than Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake, AMD Zen+, or Zen 2. The main reason is that Microsoft wants to ensure every Windows 11 system possesses TPM 2.0 security.

Microsoft first demoed this watermark 'feature' for Windows Insider testers last March, so it's not too surprising that it's finally made its way to the production build. Not all users are seeing it, however, so Microsoft may be testing it on select accounts or rolling it out slowly (or both). 

My thoughts

This is not good for those using Windows 11 on systems that didn't originally meet the system requisites. I know there are plenty of people who installed Windows 11 on a computer that supposedly didn't meet the system requirements. What is interesting about this, is even people who have had Windows 11 pre-installed on their systems are somehow being faced with this watermark too. Regardless, it seems Microsoft is not as motivated to move people to Windows 11 compared to how they were with Windows 10; as with Windows 10 there wasn't these strict requirements. I wonder if Microsoft has some incentive with hardware manufacturers to push people to upgrade their computers to more modern hardware. Personally, I'm enjoying Windows 11 thoroughly. I have been using it since last May, and prefer it over Windows 10. However, with implementations like this, I can see why people have issues with Microsoft and the new OS. I don't get why Microsoft pesters people to upgrade to Windows 11, but then enforces these rigorous requirements. If you really wanted people to make the switch, it would make sense to be more lenient with the requirements. Lastly, adding a permanent watermark like this will deter people from using the new OS and it might not even compel those to upgrade their systems (as not everyone is in a position to do so). Apparently, there are registry editor hacks to remove this watermark, but who knows how long before those stop working. 

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/305154/installed-windows-11-with-tpm-disabled-expect-an-ugly-watermark-on-the-desktop

https://www.techspot.com/news/97683-windows-11-desktop-watermarks-start-appearing-unsupported-systems.html

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/windows-11-will-display-watermark-on-computers-without-compatibility.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-watermark-unsupported-systems

Fascinating, first time I've seen software recommending downgrade

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

24 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Lastly, adding a permanent watermark like this will deter people from using the new OS and it might not even compel those to upgrade their systems (as not everyone is in a position to do so).

You're right, it is not enough to incentivize people to upgrade. What will happen is people will just stick on Windows 10 regardless if it's supported or not (as 2025 is only around the corner). Some might give Linux a try. 

In my case Windows lost its favorite status with me. I ended up buying a MacBook Pro with some of my stimulus money. The only reason I even use Windows is for gaming. Considering the number of titles that work on the Steam Deck, Im going to say that a good portion of what I play will probably work on Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You're right, it is not enough to incentivize people to upgrade. What will happen is people will just stick on Windows 10 regardless if it's supported or not (as 2025 is only around the corner). Some might give Linux a try. 

true, but i feel 2025 comes around most people will upgrade anyways.  and people staying on 10 or go linux will be pretty niche. MS knows that, they just enjoy being annoying and there's nothing you can do about it! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thats just a big company being disconnected from the reality.

Department A comes with stupid requirements to upgrade the system expecting that it would fly because the system would sell well and people would be incentivized to migrate

Then department B that doesn't realize that adoption is very slow because that is managed by department C receive a call from PC  manufactures to "help" them sell more hardware, something that right now is being a small problem, nobody is buying computers right now and think that's a good ideia to add a watermark to compel people to upgrade.

Or maybe it's a failed attempt to avoid third party to sell computers that aren't supported with Windows 11. But then it backfires because avoid the user to upgrade altogether.

Then reality comes and people stick with Windows 10. Just look at the amount of people still running Windows 7 that ended the support 8 years ago. At the same time you don't see anyone running Windows 8 which is newer.

I love Linux even more than the next guy but regular people just want to stick to what they are used to. And they are used to Windows 10, you just give them one more reason to stick with it and they'll only upgrade once most of their software don't run anymore, and even then some people just run older versions.

When we are talking about a community like ours we want enjoy most of the hardware, then running the latests version of Windows with most technology invested is the goal you may see most people upgrading, and even then you see people resisting, looking at the average non tech guy eyes, everything is working on their Windows 10 PC and he needs to buy a new PC or jump to loads of hops to upgrade his computer with no visible advantages. What do you think he will do?

"I dont know what i'm doing here. Do you?"

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

feel 2025 comes around most people will upgrade anyways. 

My moms machine is not that old, it was only a few years old when Windows 11 was announced but not supported. I know for a fact she is not going to watch to buy a new machine if the current one still works. I think the same can be said for many old people. 

Also you're not taking the current economic conditions in to account. No one knows what's going on with the economy and how long inflation is going to last. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My moms machine is not that old, it was only a few years old when Windows 11 was announced but not supported. I know for a fact she is not going to watch to buy a new machine if the current one still works. I think the same can be said for many old people. 

Also you're not taking the current economic conditions in to account. No one knows what's going on with the economy and how long inflation is going to last. 

that's why i included that people in niche spaces will stay longer on 10, but its very insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

and i didn't mention it, but thats just experience, a bit of inflation isnt going to stop people from upgrading (again in the grand scheme of things) 

Thats the problem with quasi monopolies, there aren't viable alternatives for the masses, hence its working so well. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

, a bit of inflation isnt going to stop people from upgrading (again in the grand scheme of things) 

Not sure where you have been living but it's more than "a bit". I cringe every time I go to the grocery store or go to eat out. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats the problem with quasi monopolies, there aren't viable alternatives for the masses, hence its working so well. 

Phones, Tablets and Chromebooks are all alternatives. Microsoft has be loosing market share slowly. I recall when they had like a 96% market share, now its in the low 80% range. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I recall when they had like a 96% market share, now its in the low 80% range. 

Yep, it is bellow 80% now:
image.thumb.png.ad56a97ced38499576bf78544efbae97.png
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide/#yearly-2009-2023

It is slowly but surely trending down.
Not to mention this is Desktop OS market share only. Mobile is taking over (and MS lost that battle long time ago)...
image.png.d4c201b39462b613f3d10fa8cfcb721e.png

https://gs.statcounter.com/platform-market-share/desktop-mobile-tablet/worldwide/#yearly-2009-2023

Anyhow, on topic:
Good old MS, they couldn't even put "please" before "Go to Settings to learn more" 😆

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

When I read the thread title I was expecting Microsoft to be putting "Buy a new computer to upgrade to Windows 11" watermarks on Windows 10 PCs that weren't eligible for the Windows 11 update. I honestly would not put it past Microsoft to do that at this point when every time I get a system update it gives advertisements for Edge, Office365, and OneDrive.

Realistically this watermark is only going to affect people who forced the Windows 11 install on machines that don't support it, which I imagine is an extremely tiny portion of Windows 11 users. Anybody just buying a Windows 11 machine off the shelf isn't going to see this (or at least they shouldn't!). The enthusiasts that are forcing Windows 11 on to unsupported machines can probably figure out a way to remove the watermark if they really need to, or just go back to Windows 10. I personally don't really see much benefit in running Windows 11 on an older, unsupported system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@Spotty
I think you are missing the point there. This means MS will actually try to enforce their BS requirements (supported cpu list contains weaklings that would get eaten alive by the overclocked 4670k in my old pc) and possibly lock out machines from WU......

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

@Spotty
I think you are missing the point there. This means MS will actually try to enforce their BS requirements (supported cpu list contains weaklings that would get eaten alive by the overclocked 4670k in my old pc) and possibly lock out machines from WU......

I don't really see that as a problem. Microsoft made it pretty clear that those older systems were not supported by the operating system and that they had no plans to support them.

For all the people who went to the trouble of bypassing all the requirements and checks Microsoft put in to stop people from installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, what exactly were they expecting to happen? Were they expecting Microsoft to turn around and go "Oh, alright then you win we will provide support for your system"? Those people knew they weren't going to get proper support from Microsoft and that they might be cut off from updates but they chose to install it anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

@Spotty

It's nothing to do with how powerful the CPU is, or its age directly, it's about security features it doesn't have.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I am curious, you remember what laptop it is?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Goes without saying Windows 10 is better than Windows 11, which makes sense if you go through Microsoft's "Good" and "Bad" release cycle.

Windows 7 = Good

Windows 8 = Bad

Windows 10 = Good

Windows 11 = Bad

OS is buggy and Microsoft is pulling bull like this on hardware which otherwise can clearly run Windows 11 without any issues.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

I am curious, you remember what laptop it is?

What does a laptop have to do with this? She has a Lenovo pre built. Don’t really get your point? 

Bah, who cares, if you forcefully installed it on such an old unsupported machine it's on you. Why even do so? Yet on the other hand we have stubborn people with latest machines refusing to move one, because they are rebels or something. 

It's time to stop!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yet on the other hand we have stubborn people with latest machines refusing to move one, because they are rebels or something. 

It’s because windows 10’s launch was a cluster fuck. I think many want to make sure Windows 11 is good and ready before taking the plunge. 

They are really trying real hard to ensure no one uses Windows 11.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It’s because windows 10’s launch was a cluster fuck. I think many want to make sure Windows 11 is good and ready before taking the plunge. 

I might actually skip 11 and go right to 12, assuming it's released before 10 goes EOL on October 2025.

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I had 10 since launch, was ok and after few months it improved, over time even more. 11 is out for year+ and I'd say it's better than 10 and matured faster too. Was just saying makes no sense forcing going older OS anyone who build a machine few years old.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This makes no sense for MS to even do, if someone installs windows 11 on an unsupported system then theres no reason for an annoying watermark to appear.

They're trying really hard to get people to buy new hardware, while W11 runs fine on older Intel and AMD hardware.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

For all the people who went to the trouble of bypassing all the requirements and checks Microsoft put in to stop people from installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, what exactly were they expecting to happen?

I would expect them to not shove a watermark on those that know enough how to install Windows 11 on an unsupported system, but its just Microsoft doing stupid anti-consumer things.

And the interesting thing is MS even describes how to do the workarounds to install on unsupported hardware, so this watermark is really unnecessary.