The BEST GPUs NVIDIA Ever Made… and the WORST

HC_writes

It’s no surprise that Nvidia’s latest RTX 40 series GPUs are also the fastest. But how does this generation as a whole compare to its long list of predecessors? We’re going back over 10 years to rank every NVIDIA GPU generation! How does your card fare?

Buy a GIGABYTE Eagle GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC: https://geni.us/w2ZQ
Buy a ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Edition: https://geni.us/PGpBi
Buy a ZOTAC GeForce RTX 4070 TI Trinity OC: https://geni.us/nvlny
Buy a MSI GeForce RTX 4080 Ventus 3X OC: https://geni.us/D4ZkXxf
Buy a PNY GeForce RTX 4090: https://geni.us/Z25C
Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Make your own tier list here: https://tiermaker.com/create/nvidia-geforce-gpu-generations--15555726

Personally I wouldn't rate the 700 series that highly because it didn't age very well thanks to its limited VRAM. That 3GB in the 780 simply wasn't enough a few short years down the line.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Haven't watched the video yet but wasn't the GTX 275 virtually impossible to run cool?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The tier list was a nice instrument for ranking GPUs in this video.

3xxx series S tier? YES!

I'm one of the lucky few that got a 3080 10GB at MSRP at launch. It has served me well for two years, and I'll keep using it. Though the 10GB vram is getting small.

Jensen's presentation was really great. At the launch of the 3xxx series, the general advice was to withold buying until AMD revealed its offering, which normally is a good advice, but the signs of humongous scalping and shortages were there. I had learned my lesson after I had to pay ETH mining premium for my 1070, so I prepared well in advance researching the shops and the minute to press F5 and place the order, I got lucky, and it worked! Best buy I ever made!

It was crazy... Friends advised me to sell that card for up to 3000€ on the used market at the height of ETH mining. I didn't do it, I bought that GPU to play games, not to earn 2300€ in profit. ☠️ I also sold my old 1070 to a friend for 150€ when scalpers were asking for up to 700€ for that card. More than I paid for it! Crazy times indeed... Hopefully with ETH no longer using GPUs as expensive random number generators, we won't get 250% scalped prices again. Well, as long as TSMC doesn't get "acquired" if China and USA fight for Taiwan.

Turing C Tier? How the hell when it jacked flagship price up from $700 to $1200 and gave a 2080 that was $100 more than the 1080 Ti while only offering single digit performance gains? That shit is F Tier.

47 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Best value would be the 10 series. Hands down. I bet that's what he said in the video too. I haven't even seen it yet lol.

Don't forget the 1660Super, which basically killed off both 1660 and 1660ti. 

46 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Best value would be the 10 series. Hands down. I bet that's what he said in the video too. I haven't even seen it yet lol.

AdoredTV was right in calling it Maxwell on steroids. Pascal was an amazing generation.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Apart from the obvious suggestion to make a similar video about AMD, how about a video that talks about all the confusion both brands (nvidia and AMD) did with their naming?

A few got mentioned like the 970 "4GB" and the 1060 3GB vs 6GB, but we all know they did this a LOT more often.

The RX 480 for example is actually quite a mess. The 4GB ones had slower memory speeds compared to 8GB ones and the 2048SP editions also exist (which means it's basically a RX 470 even tho they are called RX 480). I found this surprisingly relevant recently (few days ago actually) when shopping for an rx 480 on aliexpress, a bunch of them are actually 2048SP cards but it's not always mentioned very clearly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

The tier list was a nice instrument for ranking GPUs in this video.

3xxx series S tier? YES!

I'm one of the lucky few that got a 3080 10GB at MSRP at launch. It has served me well for two years, and I'll keep using it. Though the 10GB vram is getting small.

Jensen's presentation was really great. At the launch of the 3xxx series, the general advice was to withold buying until AMD revealed its offering, which normally is a good advice, but the signs of humongous scalping and shortages were there. I had learned my lesson after I had to pay ETH mining premium for my 1070, so I prepared well in advance researching the shops and the minute to press F5 and place the order, I got lucky, and it worked! Best buy I ever made!

It was crazy... Friends advised me to sell that card for up to 3000€ on the used market at the height of ETH mining. I didn't do it, I bought that GPU to play games, not to earn 2300€ in profit. ☠️ I also sold my old 1070 to a friend for 150€ when scalpers were asking for up to 700€ for that card. More than I paid for it! Crazy times indeed... Hopefully with ETH no longer using GPUs as expensive random number generators, we won't get 250% scalped prices again. Well, as long as TSMC doesn't get "acquired" if China and USA fight for Taiwan.

I never intended on upgrading, since I had my RX 580 holding me very well since 2019 when the first crypto wave settled down, and I later sold it in 2021 for a profit which paid 75% of the price of my current 6700 XT which I got for $400 back in November 2022.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, samcool55 said:

Apart from the obvious suggestion to make a similar video about AMD, how about a video that talks about all the confusion both brands (nvidia and AMD) did with their naming?

A few got mentioned like the 970 "4GB" and the 1060 3GB vs 6GB, but we all know they did this a LOT more often.

The RX 480 for example is actually quite a mess. The 4GB ones had slower memory speeds compared to 8GB ones and the 2048SP editions also exist (which means it's basically a RX 470 even tho they are called RX 480). I found this surprisingly relevant recently (few days ago actually) when shopping for an rx 480 on aliexpress, a bunch of them are actually 2048SP cards but it's not always mentioned very clearly.

The 2048 SP isn't an issue, as it's right there in the name, there's no way to confuse it with a regular 480.

The GTX 1060 thing is so much worse though, as the 3GB was basically a 1050 TI they wanted to sell at 1060 prices. The 1050 ti they actually gave us would be considered a "1050 super" by today's naming scheme.

12 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Turing C Tier? How the hell when it jacked flagship price up from $700 to $1200 and gave a 2080 that was $100 more than the 1080 Ti while only offering single digit performance gains? That shit is F Tier.

Turing will be viewed as important historically for introducing some features but that's all it has going for it. On the negative side:

Those features weren't ready for prime time at release and to some extent still aren't years later 

Hiked prices

Reliability issues (space invaders)

Bloated confusing lineup with the "Super" models

Absolute dog shit cards at the low end like the 1650 and 1660 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

So I guess I shouldn't feel too bad abut picking a GTX 260 Core 216, then a GTX 960, then an RTX 3060 ti?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Lol, there was this one guy shitting on me for saying GPUs were just GPGPUs over here somewhere...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You missed some of the earliest ones that had to bee S or A tier or else Nvidia would not exist.   The Nvidia NV1 the GPU that started it all A tier.  If it had failed utterly there would not be an Nvidia.   It is the reason the others exist but it could be improved on.  The first one I got to own and for a good part of the early 2000s was the Nvidia Riva TNT2.   I don't know if it was S their but it also would be A Tier.   

Shortly after that I stopped building my own PC's and just went with laptops of the time because they were easier to move and I could take them to class.  That's about when I went with Mobile GPU's and though I had preferred AMD GPU's I'd not given their GPU's a chance until then.   Only started building computers for myself again during the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, emanresu2 said:

Can't wait to buy a RTX 4050 for just $600.

It's cheaper than badminton!

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

54 minutes ago, plurus said:

Don't forget the 1660Super, which basically killed off both 1660 and 1660ti. 

A used 1070 base model performs the same as the 1660ti, and costs less, while having more VRAM. I don't pay any attention to the 16 series because it seems every card can easily be destroyed by a used card in terms of performance at the same price point.

53 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

The Nvidia NV1 the GPU that started it all A tier.  If it had failed utterly there would not be an Nvidia. 

This is wrong, and I can prove that by the simple fact that it failed utterly. Weirdly enough, not a lot of demand for a graphics card with an integrated Sega Saturn controller port.

For desktops, I have only had AMD GPUs.

First was an Xpert2000 when I played Rainbow 6 sniping elbows around corners.

then two cards from the AGP 9xxx series (one card died when I tried to watercool my CPU)

And now I have a 6800XT.

AMD tierlist coming soon?

My vote goes to the ""asus v3800 tnt2""

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Levent said:

Lol, there was this one guy shitting on me for saying GPUs were just GPGPUs over here somewhere...

I'm glad he also brought to light that the x80 cards use their midrange chips, I was shat on too for pointing out the 1080, 2080 etc are actually midrange cards.

The GTX 900 series deserves S tier - it was the last iteration to do 4-way SLI (officially) making it the 4K gaming choice if you were also ironically dumb enough to invest in first gen 4K panels back in 2015. Then take a look at the SLI performance scaling - it was LINEAR across 1-2-3-4 cards!!! - something that had never been seen previously. I ran my four EVGA  HydroCopper 980Ti's in 4-way SLI on a 34 inch ultrawide, and boy was it fun playing those 1hr+ missions on The Crew with all the details cranked on max.

This is special for me too as I was invited to the GTX 900 series launch event that they did in LA, something that I had never been to before. Not only did I get to see Jensen on stage and mingle with other gamers but got to try out the stuff and play some games on the systems they had set up. It was an awesome experience and something I wish I could do again.

Today I am rocking four EVGA HydroCopper 3080Ti's after upgrading my system last year when prices FINALLY came down to more sane levels. Just a single card is great for gaming, leaving the other three for doing F@H.

2 hours ago, Error 52 said:

This is wrong, and I can prove that by the simple fact that it failed utterly. Weirdly enough, not a lot of demand for a graphics card with an integrated Sega Saturn controller port.

The first Nvidia card I remember hearing about was the RIVA TNT, around the time the ATI Rage 128 was making headlines and 3Dfx was flinging out Voodoo x000 cards in a blind panic.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.