The BEST GPUs NVIDIA Ever Made… and the WORST

HC_writes

1060 6GB will forever be the best GPU ever made. S+ tier. Fight me 

-Healthcare IT Professional, Aspiring Security Analyst & Data Hoarder 🙂

A+/Net+/Sec+

I would've liked to see more discussion on efficiency as mentioned at the start of the video. Something notable is the gap between laptop and desktop cards until the 10 series bridged that gap...for a gen and a half or so until Max Q and eventually the 3000 series onwards "broke" it (A laptop 3080Ti is under a desktop 3070 iirc, and it only gets worse with the 4000 series?).

I guess it's not as much of an efficiency problem as is it is a "we put ~40% more power for no reason onto our desktop cards but we have to market our laptops as the best" reason. A desktop 3080 running at 200W could've worked in some desktop replacement laptops (and MXM got killed too), at a minimal loss to performance if undervolted properly.

Could you guys do a VRAM comparison video? You could use a 4090 and limit VRAM artificially by using a VRAM disk and running games / benchmarks and seeing the performance difference (make sure to test RT) on the same card.

13 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Personally I wouldn't rate the 700 series that highly because it didn't age very well thanks to its limited VRAM. That 3GB in the 780 simply wasn't enough a few short years down the line.

It's enough for what you need it for. I've stayed with 780ti for what felt like forever (upgrade to 1070ti at the onset of GTX 2000) and it play every games I have until then just fine. 

Pascal last me a lot less year, upgrade to the 3080 just a couple of years after that. Granted the game it absolutely can't handle even at 1440p is Cyberpunk (solid single digit fps) which is kinda an outlier

Thanks, this video gave me a different perspective. None of this information is new or at least I should know most of it, but I've always narrowed my view to the "nearest" products (meaning the current vs previous chip, across the two manifacturers, in a reasonable price bracket), seeing it all in one place does make a difference.

Even if this video is focused on nvidia, the thing that stuck to me at the end is that (to me) it looks like amd's gpu division is alive by miracle.

I've had a range of NVIDIA cards over the last 25 years...

• Riva TNT 2,
  • GeForce2 MX400,
  • GeForce 6800 GT (died after 4 days and got a full refund),
  • 6800 Ultra ($100 cheaper than I'd paid for the 6800 GT),
  • 7800 GTX,
  • 2 x 7900 GT (my first foray into SLI and water cooling),
  • 3 x GTX 260,
  • GTX 280,
  • 2 x GTX 295 (Mmm - quad SLI),
  • GTX 1080,
  • 2 x GTX 1080 TI (my last hurrah for SLI, water cooled),
  • RTX 3090 (water cooled), and lastly...
  • RTX 4090 (water cooled).

On 2/15/2023 at 11:47 PM, Needfuldoer said:

The first Nvidia card I remember hearing about was the RIVA TNT, around the time the ATI Rage 128 was making headlines and 3Dfx was flinging out Voodoo x000 cards in a blind panic.

805753958_2020-09-02NvidiaGPUsLabels.thumb.jpg.a42758d048481299b6123f13156307ff.jpg

My first GPU was the Geforce 256. I was bad at building PC back then, I bought an overpriced Pentium 3 533MHz. I have fond memories of that PC. A tier.
My second card was the Ti 4600. The driver was terrible on that card, I remember it crashing constantly. And those fans were whiny. C tier.
My GeForce 7600 I use it to this day as a video output card whenever a system has problems. I was broke and I used it until I had money for. B tier.

My 1070 turbo. The card was a blower design, that run hot, and was noisy. I was never happy about the card. I paid a significant mining premium on that, I think I paid 600€. B tier.

The 3080 I already talked about. Easily S tier. The one thing I would have liked, is if Nvidia made it at least 12GB. I'll have to tune down settings going forward because of VRAM limit.

Pretty solid tier list I'd say, didn't really find myself disagreeing anywhere.

My first "real" gaming GPU (after using whatever hand-me-downs I could get in my Pentium III system, the last of those being a GeForce4 Ti 4200) was a GeForce 9600GT. I upgraded that one to a Radeon HD 4890 about 2.5 years later, which I got for €20 from a friend, which to this day probably remains the best deal I've ever gotten on a piece of hardware. After that my mighty X79 build that only got retired weeks ago saw first a GTX 770 4GB (actual 4GB of VRAM, take that GTX 970), then a GTX 1060 6GB, then a GTX 1080 and finally an RX 6800XT.

Out of my Nvidia cards I remember the GTX1080 the most fondly, it was the entry-level EVGA ACX 3.0 one and honestly a lot quieter than the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 it replaced. It also only needed a single 8-pin connector, which goes to show how efficient this generation of GPUs was. The GTX 770 was a good card as well, but I don't think going for the 4GB version (and in the EVGA FTW variant) ever actually paid off. Wasn't really quiet either, although it was a lot more quiet than the HD 4890 blower in the previous PC 😄 At least I was smart enough not to buy a second one for SLI, because my initial upgrade plan for that system was to later add a second GPU to it - that was before it was starting to show that SLI was dying a slow but certain death.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4