New Exploit allows Android Lock Screen Bypass

rcmaehl
On 11/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

=Buying a new phone every 3 years is tho (end of Google's support for their own phones) 💀

And let's not forget: 

That doesn't happen with Apple.

LOL dude I'm posting from in my hot tub on my (waterproof) Note 8 that is 5.4 years old, works fine and this bypass is not working on it as far as i have tried. It just got and update a few months ago too.

Meanwhile my sister's family sends me all her "old" iphones to backup the data when they slow to unusable because of "support updates" or just plain fail and die. I have every iphone from the last 10 years she sent me. More than half of them need parts from minor damage like rain water or two of them need screen backlit filters that just randomly went out.

Apple's support is DOA to me because of how fragile the hardware is and how impossible it is to repair them. And it boggles my mind they have the best 1 piece frames of any phone maker, one would think that would make them more durable. She sent me a iphone from like 3+ years ago it was a nice red rose color and mint so I wanted to save it. It suffered a low drop into the (clean) toilet, needed a screen backlit filter. The whole PCB was covered in black tar. Ended up not being worth my time I tossed it. I believe brand loyalty is making you blind.

59 minutes ago, staticpage said:

LOL dude I'm posting from in my hot tub on my (waterproof) Note 8 that is 5.4 years old, works fine and this bypass is not working on it as far as i have tried. It just got and update a few months ago too.

Meanwhile my sister's family sends me all her "old" iphones to backup the data when they slow to unusable because of "support updates" or just plain fail and die. I have every iphone from the last 10 years she sent me. More than half of them need parts from minor damage like rain water or two of them need screen backlit filters that just randomly went out.

Apple's support is DOA to me because of how fragile the hardware is and how impossible it is to repair them. And it boggles my mind they have the best 1 piece frames of any phone maker, one would think that would make them more durable. She sent me a iphone from like 3+ years ago it was a nice red rose color and mint so I wanted to save it. It suffered a low drop into the (clean) toilet, needed a screen backlit filter. The whole PCB was covered in black tar. Ended up not being worth my time I tossed it. I believe brand loyalty is making you blind.

Watch A Full-Length Version Of The “Why You Always Lying” Video | Riverdale  memes, Riverdale, Bible humor

great, another shit phone experience from one of the only two options 99% of consumers have.

So glad the internet shit canned MS for trying again,  at least if they had of succeeded most of us would have had a 3rd option.

Also glad to see we can't even hold android to account for anything without also being told we are being unfair on apple. 🙄

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So this wouldn't work if the SIM is not locked then?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

52 minutes ago, williamcll said:

So this wouldn't work if the SIM is not locked then?

It can still work, you'll just need to bring your own locked "attacker" SIM

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 11/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, staticpage said:

Hm, this seems like PEBCAK to me. I have iPhones from 2009-2016 and all are in perfect working condition, aside from the one that got found at the Fort Lauderdale airport. They're used too.

Also, I love how people bring up the "updates make your iPhone slower" thing. Yes. Hardware gets slower as it ages. Did you know your computer does that too? That's why you upgrade it.

Bet this post will get disregarded under the umbrella of the "apple shill" though.

elephants

17 hours ago, mr moose said:

Also glad to see we can't even hold android to account for anything without also being told we are being unfair on apple. 🙄

gotta love the internet age tribalism. see it all the time with different things, not just apple:

person1: "x is bad"

person2: "no it's not!"

something: "y is bad"

person2: "see! y is just as bad as x, maybe more!!"

person1: "but i thought you said x wasn't bad?"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

gotta love the internet age tribalism. see it all the time with different things, not just apple:

person1: "x is bad"

person2: "no it's not!"

something: "y is bad"

person2: "see! y is just as bad as x, maybe more!!"

person1: "but i thought you said x wasn't bad?"

Yep, apparently shit canning apple for doing shit things = defending android for being even more shit.    Not surprised 50% of the population is west of the bell curve.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 11/12/2022 at 12:11 PM, mr moose said:

at least if they had of succeeded most of us would have had a 3rd option.

Having a 3rd bad option is pretty much meaningless.....

On 11/12/2022 at 12:11 PM, mr moose said:

great, another shit phone experience from one of the only two options 99% of consumers have.

So glad the internet shit canned MS for trying again,  at least if they had of succeeded most of us would have had a 3rd option.

come on, ms made a low tier effort on it, was worst in every way than the competition and canned it the moment they didn't see people interested in their me too attempt.

Not the consumers fault if the product is bad. And it's not like MS can't make a usable mobile os, look at Windows Mobile 5 and 6.5, a product of their times, still way better than everything symbian back then.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Yes. Hardware gets slower as it ages. Did you know your computer does that too? That's why you upgrade it.

It doesn't? Do you think the transistors get loose and worn out? There are some effects (electromigration) degrading the silicon over time, but they are mostly noticeable on high-performance processors*. It would take a phone SoC a magnitude longer to degrade as much as desktop processors.

After 5 years you might see a few Milliwatt of addition power consumption on a phone SoC and that's it. It's not slower, the software is just more bloated.

*even on desktop processors this is basically unnoticeable after 5 years. Overclocking could accelerate this process, however.

5 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

the software is just more bloated

Thats the gist of it, phone apps nowadays pull in insane amounts of libraries for even basic functionality....

4 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

It doesn't? Do you think the transistors get loose and worn out?

Phrased this badly, meant that newer software will run slower on older hardware. iOS 16 runs much faster on an iPhone 11 vs an iPhone 8.

elephants

18 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Having a 3rd bad option is pretty much meaningless.....

And this mentality s why we will never have any decent options.

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

come on, ms made a low tier effort on it, was worst in every way than the competition and canned it the moment they didn't see people interested in their me too attempt.

I had 2 of their phones and loved them, most people I know who had them at worst didn't hate them.  All I saw all over the internet was typical band wagon hate, and clearly from people who never had one and were never going to buy one.  

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Not the consumers fault if the product is bad. And it's not like MS can't make a usable mobile os, look at Windows Mobile 5 and 6.5, a product of their times, still way better than everything symbian back then.

They did make a usable phone, but unless you get enough market saturation to get developer interest it doesn't matter how good the phone is.  There was no way they were ever going to get developer interest when every advice thread from people asking if they are any good was filled with all the tropes and useless pork chopping.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I had 2 of their phones and loved them, most people I know who had them at worst didn't hate them.  All I saw all over the internet was typical band wagon hate, and clearly from people who never had one and were never going to buy one.  

i loved my LG Optimus 7. Had that thing for 5 years before i finally retired it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

And this mentality s why we will never have any decent options.

WP was anything but decent, and it never got any better. Especially with that flat w8 ui and lackluster app support....

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

WP was anything but decent, and it never got any better. Especially with that flat w8 ui and lackluster app support....

you had one did you? or are you just repeating what everyone else said? I had two and as I said they were great phones, cheap, snappy and never crashed.  They did exactly what I needed a phone to do and for the time I had mine operating I was loving not being a part of google or apples family and the shit that entails.

The only issue with WP was app support (not for me though as every app I wanted was supported), but as I said, it does not matter how good a phone is, if no developer is supporting it because no body is buying it because everyone is saying how shit it is then it won't succeed.  Not too mention who is going to move to any new phone when all their apps, contacts, sms etc is all backed up to either apple or google.

Besides all that, my point is that when someone offers you a 3rd option, that should be something we take seriously and be honest about it, not shit on it because of who made it.   If that happens every time there is a new comer to the market then we mere consumers will never have anything other than google or apple.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

you had one did you?

Tried several at mediamarkt when i was looking for a new phone. Couldnt offer anything above android phones..... Plus AFAIK WP never really seen any unofficial ROMs so once MS/manufacturer axed a phone its dead.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Tried several at mediamarkt when i was looking for a new phone. Couldnt offer anything above android phones..... Plus AFAIK WP never really seen any unofficial ROMs so once MS/manufacturer axed a phone its dead.

So in other words you had a play in a shop and decided because you couldn't get roms for it it was a shit product for everyone on every level?

Again, that is the mentality that will cement for us the inability to get away from google or apple. 

EDIT: and also fuck MS, I know you hate them and many others do to.  If WP had of been brought to market by A smaller company with a better reputation and the OS had nothing to do with MS yet people did the same thing then it would also have died for exactly the same reason.   Linux phone coped a certain amount of shit too, there goes another option for a break to the duopoly.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So in other words you had a play in a shop and decided because you couldn't get roms for it it was a shit product for everyone on every level?

Dont put words in my mouth. This argument ended right here....

On 11/10/2022 at 7:53 PM, Senzelian said:

and they're very clear about it: It's illegal

There is a difference between violating TOS and violating the law...

The TOS is not a law,

Apple can say it's illegal as much as they would like, but it's up to the judicial system to decide that.

The mere fact that Apple claims that creating a hackintosh violates the DMCA, and that their EULA is an enfoceable contract, does not make either so.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

There is a difference between violating TOS and violating the law...

The TOS is not a law,

Apple can say it's illegal as much as they would like, but it's up to the judicial system to decide that.

I know... 

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

had 2 of their phones and loved them, most people I know who had them at worst didn't hate them.  All I saw all over the internet was typical band wagon hate, and clearly from people who never had one and were never going to buy one.  

And I had the 920, and personally the build quality of the phone was the only thing praise worthy. WP8 was nothing to be impressed about, it was functional sure, but that's about it. What made me ditch it though was MS blatant lies and take promises.

"Hope on with us and you'll get timely updates!" They said, and yet lumia 800 who came with WP7 never got WP8, my lumia 920 who lunched with WP8 never got WM10.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Again, that is the mentality that will cement for us the inability to get away from google or apple. 

EDIT: and also fuck MS, I know you hate them and many others do to.  If WP had of been brought to market by A smaller company with a better reputation and the OS had nothing to do with MS yet people did the same thing then it would also have died for exactly the same reason.   Linux phone coped a certain amount of shit too, there goes another option for a break to the duopoly.

I owned a Lumia 1020 and got to use other Windows phones for significant stretches of time (the Samsung Ativ S, for example) and... sorry, but the platform just wasn't that great. It was indeed fast, distinctive and occasionally clever, but it wasn't just the lack of apps that killed it — a lack of major advantages did, too. Live tiles just weren't that much of a draw, nor was the unified "people hub." Few people were going to jump from Android or an iPhone and marvel at all the things they'd been missing. And there were obvious shortcomings, like the belated additions of copy-paste text and a notifications tray.

With that said, I'd mainly chalk the failure down to a lack of prioritization at Microsoft under Ballmer. Apple and Google succeeded in no small part due to their willingness to completely overhaul their companies in pursuit of mobile; Microsoft stubbornly insisted that Windows PCs were the centre of the universe, and refused to give Windows Phone/Mobile the attention and urgency it needed. It responded far too late to the iPhone (Ballmer should have been panicking the moment Steve Jobs left the Macworld 2007 stage), starved the team of resources and was perpetually late with both hardware and software features. That and Microsoft clung to an outdated licensing model that virtually guaranteed Android would be more appealing to OEMs.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks that mobile has become a duopoly much like the computer world did in the 1990s. But we tend to look at Windows phones through rose-tinted glasses, and the truth is that they just didn't scratch the itch for enough people.