LTT Official Folding Month V (2022)

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,
52 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just working on the blog post now, probably will be up within the hour 

It is here, just in time! 

16 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Best alt connection to virgin where I am is 6/3 lmfao 

I would recommend in the UK, Zen & Starlink. both have worked very well for me. currently in the process of getting fttp

16 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I fold on at least three other Macs, and none of those have any issues with FAHControl. Two of them are running macOS Catalina and one is still running macOS High Sierra. The only big difference is that those Macs are Intel based (2011 iMac, 2012 Mac minis) while the problematic machines are Apple silicon based. 

My macs are all intel, and across several versions of Mac OS (I think ElCapitan through Big Sur).  It happened to all of them all at once, and was reported by others as well, so there's definitely some config/update combination that caused it at the same time as the last F@H version increase back then.  I'm just not sure what.  I've fully uninstalled (including configurations) and reinstalled F@H of various versions and that didn't solve the issue.  With my lack of time these days, I can't be bothered to figure it out, but if you do, please let us all know.  I'd definitely spin up a few of the Macs in addition to my daily driver laptop to try out something you found to fix it for you.

7 hours ago, NetoriusNick said:

I would recommend in the UK, Zen & Starlink. both have worked very well for me. currently in the process of getting fttp

Unfortunately Zen have some random issues with their GEA backhaul they seem to be struggling to sort out, fortunately they don't have GEA at my exchange so I'm using the standard BT Wholesale backhaul which works great.  At some point Cityfibre is installing here too so I will be able to upgrade Zen to symmetrical on their network.

I'd only go Starlink if there are zero other options as I strongly believe its not an economically viable service and will go bankrupt, then you're left with an expensive paperweight.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Anyone here folding on an M1 Mac? If so, how do you use FAHControl? I've got it running on both of my M1 MacBooks right now (a 13" M1 MacBook Pro (8GB RAM, 8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores) and a 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro (32GB RAM, 10 CPU cores, 32 GPU cores)), and FAHControl is basically unusable on both of them. They're both folding just fine in the background, and I can control them through the web control page, but FAHControl just keeps updating over and over. 

Also, these laptops are getting much different results. The 13" is only reporting ~21K PPD while the 16" is reporting ~127K PPD. Both are folding on 8 CPU cores (the M1 Max has 8 performance and two efficiency cores, and F@h can only use the performance cores, at least by default), so they shouldn't be this far apart. Any thoughts? 

I'm on Monterrey on a M1 MBP 2020 13" and it seems to say updating forever until I open the web client at the same time then it magically decides to work?

I'm getting like 50-60k PPD but it often drops to like 20k with cancer WUs - that's also an iffy number because I set it to only fold when it's plugged in and I'm usually working at the same time

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

4 minutes ago, Gegger said:

I'm on Monterrey on a M1 MBP 2020 13" and it seems to say updating forever until I open the web client at the same time then it magically decides to work?

I'm getting like 50-60k PPD but it often drops to like 20k with cancer WUs - that's also an iffy number because I set it to only fold when it's plugged in and I'm usually working at the same time

Did you manually change the number of threads so its exactly the same as the number of performance cores (assuming this is Apple Silicon that's 4 for the base M1)?

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you manually change the number of threads so its exactly the same as the number of performance cores (assuming this is Apple Silicon that's 4 for the base M1)?

Assuming that I can read and am using FAHControl properly, I have it set to letting the client choose (-1) because I was lazy when setting it up

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1 hour ago, Gegger said:

Assuming that I can read and am using FAHControl properly, I have it set to letting the client choose (-1) because I was lazy when setting it up

i do wise setting up core count .would be easier thru.

anyhow both TR machines will be doing wu.

am trying to get a third machine up that has 3 gpus.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

18 hours ago, Gorgon said:

50/10 here on 50 year old buried copper. Lucky if I get 32Mbps down. 10 Up is never a problem and I've never had upload issues with F@H that weren't attributable to the servers at WUSL.

Just to taunt me the ILEC here installed Fibre. Only problem is they delivered it at the front of the house and the front of the basement is the finished portion so I'd have to do some major surgery to get it where I need it.

Doen't really matter though as I'd never go with them as an ISP again so I'll have to wait until their forced to open up Fibre to competition.

Same here 1972 Copper to Cat 6EShileded when it enters the BLDG LOL…they wanted to run cat 5…i was like i want over kill i have cat 6EShileded from a job i did…they gladly pulled it with the Cat 5 next to it Just in case…

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd only go Starlink if there are zero other options as I strongly believe its not an economically viable service and will go bankrupt, then you're left with an expensive paperweight.

I think the opposite that they will put the other satellite vendors out of Business.  Once they get the Super heavy running it will put the Other Vendors to shame…oh wait it already does in most places…My parent have it for their RV and Love it.  Being spacex is vertically integrated they make their own sats and receivers and Routers it’s Highly efficient compared to what any other company does.

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

17 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

I think the opposite that they will put the other satellite vendors out of Business.  Once they get the Super heavy running it will put the Other Vendors to shame…oh wait it already does in most places…My parent have it for their RV and Love it.  Being spacex is vertically integrated they make their own sats and receivers and Routers it’s Highly efficient compared to what any other company does.

But by Musks own admission, SpaceX is on the verge of collapse.  The question is if they can survive long enough to get the costs down.

They are also relying on constantly increasing subscriber numbers, which surely will peak and fall as fibre is rolled out across the world, offering a vastly superior solution.

Sure there will still be use cases and rural users where its their only option, but is there enough of those to cover the costs?

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But by Musks own admission, SpaceX is on the verge of collapse.  The question is if they can survive long enough to get the costs down.

They are also relying on constantly increasing subscriber numbers, which surely will peak and fall as fibre is rolled out across the world, offering a vastly superior solution.

Sure there will still be use cases and rural users where its their only option, but is there enough of those to cover the costs?

I think he’s exaggerating slightly they wouldn’t be cutting launch costs as much as they have been if there was an issue esp being that Russia is out of the picture…but i think once the 1.5(currrently being launched) and ver 2(super heavy launched) get out there with the laser links and can be used for back haul as well and the cruise indistury as well as shipping industry and RVers and there are areas in the US so remote that it would be astronomical to hook them to a fiber feed for a small town.  (Alaska for instance) there are towns there that once the polar sats all get in place will be on the high speed internet for the first time…No i don’t consider Hughes net and other GSO sats as high speed.

Honorable Mentions:

13 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

I think he’s exaggerating slightly they wouldn’t be cutting launch costs as much as they have been if there was an issue esp being that Russia is out of the picture…but i think once the 1.5(currrently being launched) and ver 2(super heavy launched) get out there with the laser links and can be used for back haul as well and the cruise indistury as well as shipping industry and RVers and there are areas in the US so remote that it would be astronomical to hook them to a fiber feed for a small town.  (Alaska for instance) there are towns there that once the polar sats all get in place will be on the high speed internet for the first time…No i don’t consider Hughes net and other GSO sats as high speed.

I spent a week at Iqaluit on Frobisher Bay, Baffin Island a few years ago. I was volunteering taking pictures for an organization and had to upload low res JPEGs every evening. The single 100Mbps TeleGlobe Sat Link serving the whole community was so over subscribed I had to schedule the uploads starting at 02:00 to get the 200MB or so of the day's images through.

At work we have sites in the far north with Sat Links and I can tell you that there are a lot of communities in Canada that can benefit from Starlink and similar services. Most of Canada is only densely populated in a narrow ribbon close to the Southern Border and the Telcos are unwilling to run broadband into rural areas leaving dial-up as the only economical option.

We tend to take broadband access for granted in urban areas and moan about only having 50/10.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

54 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

At work we have sites in the far north with Sat Links and I can tell you that there are a lot of communities in Canada that can benefit from Starlink and similar services. Most of Canada is only densely populated in a narrow ribbon close to the Southern Border and the Telcos are unwilling to run broadband into rural areas leaving dial-up as the only economical option.

We tend to take broadband access for granted in urban areas and moan about only having 50/10.

Thing is, none of that means low earth orbit satellites are a more economic option to land based alternatives.

I mean I get it, they went this route to avoid the anti-competitive BS governments are allowing that prevent alt-nets, but just because its a good idea in principle, doesn't make it economically (or environmentally) viable.

There's a genuine concern that if a few do not de-orbit successfully, they could cause a chain reaction that takes out every satellite and prevents launching any new ones.  We really need a viable backup plan to deal with space junk before putting orders of magnitude more up there.

Also if Starlink lasts just long enough to build new businesses in rural places relying on it, it could be a much bigger disaster if it were to suddenly disappear.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, YoungBlade said:

I was planning on doing folding to heat my room this winter, so this should work out well for me. I'm in.

Sorry, I'm confused. How would folding heat your room?

phone out of service?

give us a call.

22 minutes ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

Sorry, I'm confused. How would folding heat your room?

Folding@home uses your GPU or CPU to do work, and it can put them at full load. Doing do creates heat, and on the kinds of components most of us use for Folding there's a lot of heat being generated. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I'm sure this is normal but i wanted to make sure.

So I threw my old 970 into my server for folding. I want to just fold with the gpu so I removed the CPU slot in the config. but now I have noticed that there is still core running at 100% all of the time, the core running at 100% bounces around. but there is always one at 100.

Capture.PNG

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

4 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

I'm sure this is normal but i wanted to make sure.

So I threw my old 970 into my server for folding. I want to just fold with the gpu so I removed the CPU slot in the config. but now I have noticed that there is still core running at 100% all of the time, the core running at 100% bounces around. but there is always one at 100.

Capture.PNG

Yes its normal. It often takes 100% of a core to feed the GPU, so much so that upgrading the CPU will sometimes increase the GPU PPD.

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yup, it often takes 100% of a core to feed the GPU, so much so upgrading the CPU will sometimes increase the GPU PPD.

I see, that makes sense. Do you think it is worth it to pin that core then? or just let it bounce around. I am assuming that feeding the GPU work is a single threaded operation, or is there a way to split that up among the cpu.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

10 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

I see, that makes sense. Do you think it is worth it to pin that core then? or just let it bounce around. I am assuming that feeding the GPU work is a single threaded operation, or is there a way to split that up among the cpu.

I don't think we've ever looked into that specifically.  I wonder if switching between cores actually lets each core boost higher?

7 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't think we've ever looked into that specifically.  I wonder if switching between cores actually lets each core boost higher?

I imagine if anything, switching between cores helps the IHS spread the heat around more effectively and probably runs a little cooler, but on the flip side, constant context switches and cache busting from switching cores may be detrimental. But that stuff is out of my league haha.

31 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Likely not. The locked core is a function of the NVIDIA driver. It forces a thread to be locked for some reason and that thread spends much of it's time idle. It is often referred to as "spin-wait."

AMD, on the other hand, does not do this so their driver just requests a thread when needed.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

4 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Likely not. The locked core is a function of the NVIDIA driver. It forces a thread to be locked for some reason and that thread spends much of it's time idle. It is often referred to as "spin-wait."

That explain why when I tried to lock CPU folding to a single CCD on Ryzen it didn't move the GPU thread off that CCD automatically, I had to make sure I used the other CCD so CPU and GPU WUs didn't clash.

It makes CPU folding really inefficient on Ryzen given every WU starts a whole new process and needs affinity pinning again.  Just leaving it bouncing between CCDs lost about 1/3 of the PPD.

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's a genuine concern that if a few do not de-orbit successfully, they could cause a chain reaction that takes out every satellite and prevents launching any new ones.  We really need a viable backup plan to deal with space junk before putting orders of magnitude more up there.

The fact they are low orbit and light weight with high surface area means they will de-orbit themselves pretty quickly. They have engines on board that are needed to keep them in orbit for any length of time. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The fact they are low orbit and light weight with high surface area means they will de-orbit themselves pretty quickly. They have engines on board that are needed to keep them in orbit for any length of time. 

But when you have the density that they are planning, "pretty quick" is not necessarily quick enough to avoid issues.

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

BINGO, passive deorbit is <8years supposed to be <4 years according to musk but with current orbits, (unless they change the sat design to create more drag) its not doable.

I had no other option really for FAST internet, (we have two). my home one the cost to upgrade to a commensurate plan was the same cost as starlink. so I said F IT and have two independent networks now. two years later fibre is now being installed but so far is not actually in the area. (pipes installed but not actual fibre).

I can see your point about relying on one supplier but amazon and one web will get operation within the next 5 years (one hopes) and knowing amazon they will run it as cheap as thy can to price everyone out. 

all of the old sat companies charge 400+ for sub 10mb down connections so I see a lot of people who had old sat internet will take one or more LEOsat internet. This removes the one provider concern.

as for Spacex going bankrupt according to musk's letter a year ago this as he even stated in a follow up letter was a prediction for a 5 year (i think) if they dont get starship working within that 5 year