[Mini] Youtube testing 5 unskippable ads

rcmaehl
42 minutes ago, wamred said:

That's a good idea, but it would require paying for a VPN lol.

I mean, there's Windscribe and ProtonVPN which are free. And afaik, You'd just need to change your billing location once and that should be it.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Already do, its the youtube app that drives me nuts.

Why not just pay for the premium? You get no ads, also music. By the amount of YouTube I consume I consider premium to be extremely cheap.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Hope you all aren't using a Chromium based browser or Firefox, or your ad blockers are going to be broke a couple months when Manifest V2 is discontinued.

pfblocker-ng...

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Why not just pay for the premium? You get no ads, also music. By the amount of YouTube I consume I consider premium to be extremely cheap.

The main thing that pushed me towards Premium was that I use the app on my Smart TV and other than using something like Pihole there's no way to block them!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

34 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

The main thing that pushed me towards Premium was that I use the app on my Smart TV and other than using something like Pihole there's no way to block them!

Depends on the OS the smart TV is running, if it is Android TV then SmartTubeNext is an option.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

48 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

pfblocker-ng...

Yep I love it so much doesn't matter what YouTube throws my way.

3 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Already do, its the youtube app that drives me nuts.

This is why I got youtube premium. I spend so much time on youtube on my phone that it makes sense to just pay for premium and not have to deal with ads. Also nice to know that some of that money goes to the creators I watch as well. 

1 hour ago, ZetZet said:

20 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This is why I got youtube premium. I spend so much time on youtube on my phone that it makes sense to just pay for premium and not have to deal with ads. Also nice to know that some of that money goes to the creators I watch as well. 

Yeah ive considered that for a while, still thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

I mean, there's Windscribe and ProtonVPN which are free. And afaik, You'd just need to change your billing location once and that should be it.

Oh snap, I didn't know that.

*happy adblock noises*

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, OddOod said:

Meh, PiHole

Last I checked, it doesn't work on YouTube anymore, at least not as effectively.

5 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Also might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, YouTube loses money because people are using ad blockers, so they add more ads, making more people use ad blockers. Idiots. 

well yea, 

Youtube needs more revenue as they dont make money, and when its an ad driven business, thats really the only solution.

People need to stop treating media like its free to serve. Like its not even greed, YouTube doesn't make money. 
Youtube premium is cheap.

Its not like they have not tried other methods to turn a profit with youtube, be that with paid subscriptions to channels, premium, or super chats. 
The other way they could do it is change the split, but thats an even worse option

2 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Yeah ive considered that for a while, still thinking about it.

I would say if you use YouTube on your phone alot then it's worth it to get premium. I hate ads so I would much rather pay a little more and not have to deal with them. Also the content creators I watch get a part of the subscription money so it is like supporting the content creators you watch without having to watch ads. 

6 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Hope you all aren't using a Chromium based browser or Firefox, or your ad blockers are going to be broke a couple months when Manifest V2 is discontinued.

Firefox's statement about it

declarativeNetRequest

Google has introduced declarativeNetRequest (DNR) to replace the blocking webRequest API. This impacts the capabilities of extensions that process network requests (including but not limited to content blockers) by limiting the number of rules an extension can use, as well as available filters and actions.

After discussing this with several content blocking extension developers, we have decided to implement DNR and continue maintaining support for blocking webRequest. Our initial goal for implementing DNR is to provide compatibility with Chrome so developers do not have to support multiple code bases if they do not want to. With both APIs supported in Firefox, developers can choose the approach that works best for them and their users.

We will support blocking webRequest until there’s a better solution which covers all use cases we consider important, since DNR as currently implemented by Chrome does not yet meet the needs of extension developers.

You can follow our progress on implementing DNR in bug 1687755.

So Firefox will work as normal one manifest v3 is out.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Vanced still running gr8 😜

ReVanced is active. Isn't as stable as Vanced yet, but its getting updates.

Just now, Forbidden Wafer said:

ReVanced is active. Isn't as stable as Vanced yet, but its getting updates.

will consider it when vanced completely stops working

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

32 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Can't wait for Linus to try and explain why being subjected to more ad than video is a good thing and not wanting to deal with that makes you a bad person.

Ill do it for you, there are two ways to pay for a piece of media. 
direct compensation (YouTube premium, subscriptions, super chat)
Time compensation (ads)

Not wanting to pay for it doesn't make you a bad person, Balking is something everyone should do when costs are to high, but you have to be honest about it.
If the platform is not breaking even, then they need to raise the costs for what they are offering. They are not raising the cost of premium as they made a judgement that would cost more subs then the revenue brought in, so they are increasing the time cost to those who are unable or unwilling to directly compensate.

4 hours ago, starsmine said:

well yea, 

Youtube needs more revenue as they dont make money, and when its an ad driven business, thats really the only solution.

People need to stop treating media like its free to serve. Like its not even greed, YouTube doesn't make money. 
Youtube premium is cheap.

Its not like they have not tried other methods to turn a profit with youtube, be that with paid subscriptions to channels, premium, or super chats. 
The other way they could do it is change the split, but thats an even worse option

The problem is that youtube's model doesn't work to pay for. It's not like Netflix where you only need one account to watch things.

If you are a youtube creator, you may have several accounts, and you're not going to pay for each and every one. Heck, I pay for Stadia, and in google's inability to develop a proper business model, hasn't seen fit to make all youtube accounts also stadia accounts, because that would instantly give people a reason to pay for youtube, and share their streams with their friends. No, instead, you need an additional youtube account if you're going to do that, and you have to do it in an ultra-inconvenient way.

Here's a freebie Google/Youtube/Stadia... If I pay for one google service, be that gsuite, Youtube, or Stadia, make that your "amazon prime" carrot. Because Amazon has already figured that out. Amazon prime gives you free shipping, access to free movie rentals, a twitch prime sub, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Nobody wants to pay for multiple alphabet-connected accounts. Like you need a gmail account to use an Android phone, and that's the acocunt that you have to have all your payment stuff attached to, and what if that's not what you use on your desktop? It's just ultra-inconvenient how google has things setup, and if you accidently get an account suspended for whatever reason, suddenly you're locked out of bloody everything. Which is why people do not want their personal gmail account intermingled with their youtube accounts.

Google itself created this problem back with "Google+"  when it tried to make a SSO+social media thing, and thus far only the SSO part survived, and is now responsible for more problems that it solves. 

So pardon me if google gives the impression that they keep shuffling deck chairs on services they're about to sink. https://killedbygoogle.com/ , there 13 services branded "youtube (something)" that google has killed off. 

Google does not commit to anything, so paying for any google product seems like a bad value, and hence it perpetuates a cycle of "google product bad"

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

If the platform is not breaking even, then they need to raise the costs for what they are offering

If ads aren't getting them enough money, then they need to charge advertisers more, not make their users suffer with ad density high enough to make an early 2000's filesharing site jealous.

2 hours ago, starsmine said:

Ill do it for you, there are two ways to pay for a piece of media. 
direct compensation (YouTube premium, subscriptions, super chat)
Time compensation (ads)

Not wanting to pay for it doesn't make you a bad person, Balking is something everyone should do when costs are to high, but you have to be honest about it.
If the platform is not breaking even, then they need to raise the costs for what they are offering. They are not raising the cost of premium as they made a judgement that would cost more subs then the revenue brought in, so they are increasing the time cost to those who are unable or unwilling to directly compensate.

There is another way to pay for media, which is data harvesting and analytics collection, which is what Youtube does.

If the ads aren't paying Youtube enough then that is their issue, forcing annoying un-skippable ads only makes people want to find ways to block ads.

Youtube has ads?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Also might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, YouTube loses money because people are using ad blockers, so they add more ads, making more people use ad blockers. Idiots. 

I've never used Ad Blockers in the past. I've finally caved in not that long ago because every type of advertisement was getting out of hand. From 2x 15 second un-skippable ads at the beginning, middle, and end of a 10 minute video, to news websites absolutely flooding 90% of the page with ads. And let's not forget the those weird ones you get like on MSN.com you have a trypophobic image... not sure who they think those are pleasant for. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy because they're just pushing those who did have higher than average morals beyond the limit. They're actively punishing those who didn't have Ad Block for the longest time by giving them even more ads and ones they cannot skip, so now this is the price platforms pay. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

Google does not commit to anything, so paying for any google product seems like a bad value, and hence it perpetuates a cycle of "google product bad"

But it's a monthly service, if they kill it or make it cost 10x you can cancel? I've had it for a couple years now and it's been great. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.