[Mini] Youtube testing 5 unskippable ads

rcmaehl

Summary

Youtube users have recently taken to twitter and reddit to show their frustrations at youtube's newest testing of 5 unskippable pre-roll ads

Media

Quotes

YouTube...has... silently implemented a new ad format. Users...will now receive up to 5 advertisements to be watched before your video starts. YouTube... issued an official reply on Twitter acknowledging... the new 5-ad phenomenon... called bumper ads.These bumper ads are short-form ads on the platform that are typically 6 seconds long, and unskippable. YouTube is currently testing out the waters among selected... users. As of now, most users... are only receiving up to 2 ads

My thoughts

YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! It was said you would destroy the Cable Networks, not join them; Bring balance to media consumption, not leave it in ad breaks! On one side, the ads are only 6 seconds long each, making the ad break only 30 seconds total. On the other, this is yet more of the slippery slope of ads youtube is slowly making it's users experience. I'm sure 5 10 second ads are just righ around the corner.

Sources

First Post

Reddit Post

Gizmochina (quote source)

Edited by rcmaehl
rm -rf A/B

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

10 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Let em nudge and they take a mile. The curse of television will never end. I hate ads and they put more ads. How am I supposed to not hate ads?

Greed, I'm afraid. Everyone hates greed. Get an ad blocker, protest the patriarchy!/s

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Greed, I'm afraid. Everyone hates greed. Get an ad blocker, protest the patriarchy!/s

Already do, its the youtube app that drives me nuts.

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

Also might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, YouTube loses money because people are using ad blockers, so they add more ads, making more people use ad blockers. Idiots. 

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Cool, more ads I'll never see

22 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

*cranks up the ad blocker*

21 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Just now, jagdtigger said:

*laughs in ublock origin*

Hope you all aren't using a Chromium based browser or Firefox, or your ad blockers are going to be broke a couple months when Manifest V2 is discontinued.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

hmm? there are ads on youtube?

Spoiler

uBlock Origin

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Hope you all aren't using a Chromium based browser or Firefox, or your ad blockers are going to be broke a couple months when Manifest V2 is discontinued.

Not entirely, but the performance is gonna suck balls, as dynamic ad blocking is gonna be broken. So they have to use a list of every ad host ever, and block access to them.

Ad blocking DNS companies are going to see massive upticks in clientele. 

1 minute ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Not entirely, but the performance is gonna suck balls, as dynamic ad blocking is gonna be broken. So they have to use a list of every ad host ever, and block access to them.

Ad blocking DNS companies are going to see massive upticks in clientele. 

Firefox is maintaining blocking webrequest so adblockers and other privacy extensions should continue to work as intended on it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Summary

Youtube users have recently taken to twitter and reddit to show their frustrations at youtube's newest A/B testing of 5 unskippable pre-roll ads

Media

Quotes

My thoughts

YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! It was said you would destroy the Cable Networks, not join them; Bring balance to media consumption, not leave it in ad breaks! On one side, the ads are only 6 seconds long each, making the ad break only 30 seconds total. On the other, this is yet more of the slippery slope of ads youtube is slowly making it's users experience. I'm sure 5 10 second ads are just righ around the corner.

Sources

First Post

Reddit Post

Gizmochina (quote source)

Yeah, I get closer and closer to getting YouTube Premium every day. I don't really want to spend the money for it, but the ads are so annoying and YouTube is my primary source of entertainment.

This is something new? I remember years ago for a short period of time YouTube had ads that were 5 after one another each 5 seconds long, unskippable of course but hey, maximum 25 seconds.

Then there was a bug where any video could be an ad and the amount of times youtube for some reason gave 5 5 minute long ads in a row... worst part is they were unskippable, 25 minutes of ads 💀💀💀

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Well, it's a good thing I've basically given up video-based entertainment, books and graphic novels don't have as many ads.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

2 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Well, it's a good thing I've basically given up video-based entertainment, books and graphic novels don't have as many ads.

Don't give them ideas. Have you SEEN magazines?

17 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Meh, PiHole

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

5 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Brave is chrome based, and it won't be affected since brave shields is native to the browser rather than an external extension.
Also they mentioned they will continue to support V2 manifest for as long as they can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/rdab12/how_will_manifest_v3_affect_adblocking_on_brave/

41 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

On Android? Get Brave, use ADB shell to remove the YT app from your smartphone:

Spoiler

adb shell
pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.youtube

If the user ID isn't 0, run:
pm list users

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

58 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

*cranks up the ad blocker*

I run two ad blockers!!!! To hell with ads. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Murasaki said:

Vanced still running gr8 😜

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Vanced still running gr8 😜

to tell you the truth ill always have a low-key fear of logging in to a 3rd party app with my google account

38 minutes ago, wamred said:

Yeah, I get closer and closer to getting YouTube Premium every day. I don't really want to spend the money for it, but the ads are so annoying and YouTube is my primary source of entertainment.

That is how I accept the cost. I watch a TON of YT so I’m glad to pay it and not have to worry about buggy blockers. 

55 minutes ago, wamred said:

VPN yourself to somewhere like Argentina, that's what I did and I'm paying less than £2 a month for the family plan!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

VPN yourself to somewhere like Argentina, that's what I did and I'm paying less than £2 a month for the family plan!

That's a good idea, but it would require paying for a VPN lol.

I assure you on PC there will always be a way to block.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |