[Mini] Youtube testing 5 unskippable ads

rcmaehl
10 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

ReVanced is active. Isn't as stable as Vanced yet, but its getting updates.

dude after what happened to Vanced itself i'm gonna stay away from modded apps. not that i have anything against ReVanced, i just don't wanna end up using an outdated app again. VueTube is trying to be Vanced but without relying on the youtube base and instead it's being written from the ground up, hell currently you can't even log in to your account and relies on invidious for anything backend for now, but it's very promising. (and it even has an ios version for the apple lads)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Choice: wait 3sec for the video to load with even the slowest of adblockers vs 30sec of ads before the video plays....

Maybe if the profit from the ads went directly to the content creators because the platform is generating billions from selling tracking data already.

Or if the "platform" was just a platform instead of a revenue generation algorithm which doesn't even take the viewer's interest over whatever video generates the most ad views.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 9/15/2022 at 9:38 AM, Murasaki said:

Already do, its the youtube app that drives me nuts.

All their apps exist not to give you easier access, but to provide an unskippable medium via which to beam ads to users.  Ditch that crap.  Save a bookmark/favorite on your browser to youtube.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:08 AM, wamred said:

Yeah, I get closer and closer to getting YouTube Premium every day. I don't really want to spend the money for it, but the ads are so annoying and YouTube is my primary source of entertainment.

Spoken like someone who's never used any adblocking service at all.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, yolosnail said:

The main thing that pushed me towards Premium was that I use the app on my Smart TV and other than using something like Pihole there's no way to block them!

A hotlink/favorite on a browser isn't really that hard to use--vice some fluff app.

21 hours ago, starsmine said:

well yea, 

Youtube needs more revenue as they dont make money, and when its an ad driven business, thats really the only solution.

People need to stop treating media like its free to serve. Like its not even greed, YouTube doesn't make money. 
Youtube premium is cheap.

Its not like they have not tried other methods to turn a profit with youtube, be that with paid subscriptions to channels, premium, or super chats. 
The other way they could do it is change the split, but thats an even worse option

The main argument I have against that is that YT (and Alphabet at large) aren't an unbiased platform.  Instead, they censor, ban, deplatform and demonitize content/creators that they take issue with.  The rules are arbitrary and capricious.  I don't care if 99% of the profit is going to creators.  1% of my subscription going to YT is still more than I'm willing to spend--as I do not sanction or approve of their policies in this vein.

p.s.

Rumble exists.  Sure it's not quite as feature laden.  Sure, you won't find every creator on there.  But there is quite a lot, more than enough to make you forget about YT.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, ZetZet said:

Why not just pay for the premium? You get no ads, also music. By the amount of YouTube I consume I consider premium to be extremely cheap.

I'm in no way opposed to paying for premium, however I've learned from cable TV and streaming that they will milk you whatever way they can, even if you're paying.

The only subscription service that is really worth it is Office 365, but it comes with Microsoft bugged software which can fail you when you least expect it.

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

I'm in no way opposed to paying for premium, however I've learned from cable TV and streaming that they will milk you whatever way they can, even if you're paying.

The only subscription service that is really worth it is Office 365, but it comes with Microsoft bugged software which can fail you when you least expect it.

I've had Youtube Premium for a long time now and there has been no milking happening, no ads, no increasing prices. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Also worth noting; google doesn't "test" anything. They roll out anything controversial slowly to tet and mitigate the backlash.

Make no mistake, this IS happening.

Yoinked. TY

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 9/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, ZetZet said:

But it's a monthly service, if they kill it or make it cost 10x you can cancel? I've had it for a couple years now and it's been great. 

Have you ever tried to cancel a service from anyone?

Try and cancel a credit monitoring service. You can't. Sure, you could sign up absolutely easily, but if you want to cancel it, you have to call some long distance number in some other country. You can't just login and go "cancel service"

This is the same, recurring, problem. Cancel your AWS (Amazon Web Services)? Well they then kill ALL your access, even to the free tier. You can never Use AWS again.

When you cancel services with companies today, they make it very hard to do so, and they retaliate on the cancelation by blocking you from ever having the service again. And what if your credit card expires? That's a blocking.

It's almost safer to never pay for services you aren't going to commit to forever.

50 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Try and cancel a credit monitoring service. You can't. Sure, you could sign up absolutely easily, but if you want to cancel it, you have to call some long distance number in some other country. You can't just login and go "cancel service"

This is the same, recurring, problem. Cancel your AWS (Amazon Web Services)? Well they then kill ALL your access, even to the free tier. You can never Use AWS again.

When you cancel services with companies today, they make it very hard to do so, and they retaliate on the cancelation by blocking you from ever having the service again. And what if your credit card expires? That's a blocking.

It's almost safer to never pay for services you aren't going to commit to forever.

Sorry I am not American, doesn't feel like it applies to me. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

53 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And why exactly authorities and regulatory bodies allowing this? 🤔  Anyway, there are many alternatives thankfully so they just cutting the tree under themselves.

Pretty crazy people pay YouTube money to make them stop harassing and annoying you. 

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

32 minutes ago, Shzzit said:

Pretty crazy people pay YouTube money to make them stop harassing and annoying you. 

Or you could look at it as paying YouTube money for providing their services. But of course that would be crazy too... 🤣

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Or you could look at it as paying YouTube money for providing their services. But of course that would be crazy too... 🤣

Paying for a service is one thing. But in this case we are talking about forcing ppl into paying via dirty and underhanded means, not to mention even if you pay they still data-mine you. Double dipping scumbags.....

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Paying for a service is one thing. But in this case we are talking about forcing ppl into paying via dirty and underhanded means, not to mention even if you pay they still data-mine you. Double dipping scumbags.....

What part of ads is dirty and underhanded? If anything YouTube has been one of the nicest companies on the planet when it came to ads, when they finally started acting like everyone else people start freaking out. And they still offer a CHEAP way to avoid all of it. 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

What part of ads is dirty and underhanded?

Quantity, especially the rising number of long unskippables......  Pretty much a "beat 'em until they cave in" scheme.

14 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Quantity, especially the rising number of long unskippables......  Pretty much a "beat 'em until they cave in" scheme.

That's not underhanded, that's just what happens. Reality is ads pay the bills or users do. Like I said, YouTube has been exceptionally ad free for the service their provided already so now it just looks "bad". But it's still not nearly as bad as everything else that existed before it or exists alongside it. 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

That's not underhanded

Making a free service practically useless to force users to pay is pretty much underhanded. If they have cost issues they should charge more for the advertisement like any other company would do....

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Making a free service practically useless to force users to pay is pretty much underhanded. If they have cost issues they should charge more for the advertisement like any other company would do....

5 bumper adds on a 15 minute video is hardly practically useless. So long as they stay bumper ads. 

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

My man it seems like you were born after the time of TV or radio. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ZetZet said:

I think many people these days either don;t remember FTA tv from the 80's or are too young to appreciate it.

I can't speak for other countries, but in Australia the quality of tv programming in the 80's was very high, Ads were largely not in your face and the ratio of ad time to program time was reasonable.  Balance was just about right for everyone to make a dollar and the viewers to get good quality content.  Fast forward to today and the ads are atrocious, the quality of content is abysmal and the ratio is nearly 50/50 in some cases. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

I think many people these days either don;t remember FTA tv from the 80's or are too young to appreciate it.

I can't speak for other countries, but in Australia the quality of tv programming in the 80's was very high, Ads were largely not in your face and the ratio of ad time to program time was reasonable.  Balance was just about right for everyone to make a dollar and the viewers to get good quality content.  Fast forward to today and the ads are atrocious, the quality of content is abysmal and the ratio is nearly 50/50 in some cases. 

That's also why the length of a 1 hour episode has gone down so much.  A Star Trek TOS episode will run 51 minutes or so.  By the time you get to discovery, it's <42.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Only in the US. In the US they used to use a device called "the time machine" that shaved like 1-2 minutes off live broadcasts (NFL got pissed off that this was done to NFL broadcasts because they are required to be aired unaltered live) and that was done by dropping every nth frame. The average person didn't realize it on pre-recorded broadcasts. Done entirely to fit an extra commercial or two.

There's also shrinking the video and showing a banner ad on the bottom, yes on a live broadcast. Or popping it over the bottom 20% of the image. US tv shows would also truncate openings and endings to fit more commercials in, which is why nearly everything is a cold-open now, and the opening is somewhere later in the video.

One of the things that shows the stark difference between US and Canada is that Canada actually has limits imposed on advertising. 

https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/vision/governance/programming-policies/advertising/limits

Section 11 of the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987 (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/legal/tvregs.htm), makes it a condition of licence that no one is permitted to broadcast more than 12 minutes of ''advertising material'' in any ''clock hour'' in a ''broadcast day.'' Some exceptions are permitted, such as when a program occupies time in two or more consecutive clock hours. In those circumstances a broadcaster may exceed the maximum hourly limit, so long as the average number of minutes of advertising material broadcast during the clock hours occupied by the program does not exceed 12 minutes.

So a 30 minute show, is legally required to be 24 minutes long. Guess what happens when you import a show from the US? Some shows are 20. Back in the 90's, I had recordings of the same show from USA network via C-band satellite and from YTV on cable in Canada, and the YTV version not only had a opening and ending, but it also had like another 2 minutes of footage that had been cut from it for the USA network.

US Television OTA, is absolutely ruthless about trying to stuff commercials in. 

Australia is more strict than Canada, but also allows up to 16 minutes per hour under some conditions:

https://www.acma.gov.au/ad-time-limits

image.png.b89361840907ae5c3f12cd49e4fd5df5.png

Australia is 13-16 minutes per hour depending if there is an election or not.

The US however only limits CABLE, and only when it's childrens programming www.fcc.gov/guides/program-content-regulations

Q:  How much advertising can a cable system transmit during children's programming?

A:  Cable operators can transmit no more than 10.5 minutes of commercial matter per hour during children's programming on weekends, and no more than 12 minutes of commercial matter per hour on weekdays.  These limits were imposed pursuant to the Children's Television Act of 1990, which restricted the amount of commercial matter that both television broadcasters and cable operators can air on programs originally produced and broadcast primarily for children 12 years old and younger. 

9 hours ago, ZetZet said:

I was born in 1991, and precisely those things drove me to adblockers and completely dropping TV and radio...

On 9/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, Murasaki said:

Let em nudge and they take a mile. The curse of television will never end. I hate ads and they put more ads. How am I supposed to not hate ads?

TV ads are absolutely terrible.
Twice in the past 5 years Ive tried to give television a second chance, and I could not stand it.

About a year ago I was up at like 4 AM, Bored, try to watch TV, some channel has a marathon of Star Trek TNG on. "Sounds fun".
The first Adbreak I just go "frig this", Cold boot my laptop, searched and found a site that shows Star Trek TNG, find the exact episode, fast forward to the exact place in the episode. - All before the adbreak even finished.

Similar story with 'Toonami', I remember as a kid after my parents went to bed sneaking downstairs, turning the TV down really low, and watching these 'Cool shows none of my friends have ever heard of!' (Ghost in the Shell, Detective Conan, Big O exc) 
... The lineup was all shows I had already watched years ago. Kinda a disappointment and even if I did want to watch then again I couldn't even make it past a single adbreak before going. "I could probably find and download a torrent of this show before it gets back if I really wanted to watch it again."  - I decided to play a game instead.

8 hours ago, DeScruff said:

snip

Yeah I stopped watching TV more than a decade ago. I remember watching nothing but Discovery Science and some other channel I forgot.

Also ever notice how ads are EXTREMELY amped up in volume? Whatever programme is on seems like at normal volume but when the ads come up.... get that remote..