Lapsus$ 2: Samsung Boogaloo, encyption keys and knox source code apparently stolen and leaked

Master Disaster

According to Android Police the group behind the recent Nvidia hack have struck again and its another massive hit, this time to Samsung. Just like with Nvidia its another massive haul, encryption keys, source code to knox, biometric unlocking algorithms and source code to samsung account authorisation.

The hacking group Lapsus$ recently targeted Nvidia, demanding the chipmaker eliminate a feature in some GPUs that limits hash rates while mining Ethereum cryptocurrency. The hackers made it clear they had the goods by first leaking internal Nvidia email handles and cryptographically hashed passwords, then setting a deadline of March 4. Lapsus$ isn't stopping there — now Samsung is under the gun, and valuable source code is once again at stake.

The new leak is detailed in a report from Bleeping Computer, which calls Lapsus$ an "extortion gang" and says the group initially posted a screenshot of code for Samsung software, then detailed what has been exfiltrated from the South Korean electronics giant's servers. The stolen info appears to include vital information, including algorithms for all biometric unlocking operations, the source code for the bootloader for newer Samsung products, and all the source code behind the process of authorizing and authenticating Samsung accounts.

Unlike with Nvidia, this time the group have dumped a 190GB torrent for anyone to go grab.

It is a bad breach if all the claims are true. The data is allegedly available to torrent, with Lapsus$ packing it into compressed files that total nearly 190GB. According to Bleeping Computer, the hack isn't a kidnapping as with Nvidia, because as of Saturday there wasn't any evidence of a ransom demand. The cat is out of the bag, too, as over 400 peers are reportedly sharing the information and the hackers indicated plans to boost download speeds with additional servers.

Source - https://www.androidpolice.com/hackers-leak-190-gb-of-samsung-data-including-source-code/

This is getting silly now. Either these guys are literally the best hackers on the planet or these large corporations seem to be using piss poor security.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Can't say im really bothered by them big companies secrets being revealed.
What i don't like is that it will just fall on the customer if anything bad happens.

So for now, i say, hack the shit out of those awful companies.

Change this up, hold them accountable etc.

Just hope Apple and Sony are next. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is getting silly now. Either these guys are literally the best hackers on the planet or these large corporations seem to be using piss poor security.

WEEEELLLLllllllll I mean you're not wrong

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Either these guys are literally the best hackers on the planet or these large corporations seem to be using piss poor security.

I'd better change the combination on my luggage...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Sooooooo without saying too muchhhhhhhh after having worked at a big boi. Getting the wifi password from a rando laptop would basically give you everything.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

They're still yet to figure out how to seed torrents properly and use make so I'd hold your horses with this statement.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It's a grey hat group,What are they going after?

What is the motive this time?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

14 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

They're still yet to figure out how to seed torrents properly and use make so I'd hold your horses with this statement.

Says a lot about the security of these companies... 😄

So does this mean all Samsung accounts are comprised no matter how well you secure them ie 2fa?

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Says a lot about the security of these companies... 😄

Short term profit is far more important than long term investments in security for a lot of them sadly.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

9 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

So does this mean all Samsung accounts are comprised no matter how well you secure them ie 2fa?

If what they claim is correct, yes... and they haven't lied about the nvidia leaks so far. Found this in a reddit post that outlines most of it:

0fbHohD.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Good good good.
Hope the rooting comes back for Sammy's tho. (Yes im still a Samsung user 😄)

Its absolutely fucking awful i cant even record my own damn phone conversations.
Who are they to decide! 😠

Why are you people excited about this? Y'all need help. This is a serious exploit that's going to affect millions. Imagine if this happens to Apple, Google, or Amazon. Will you be happy when everyone's accounts are exploited and bank accounts drained?

Just now, SlidewaysZ said:

Why are you people excited about this? Y'all need help. This is a serious exploit that's going to affect millions. Imagine if this happens to Apple, Google, or Amazon. Will you be happy when everyone's accounts are exploited and bank accounts drained?

If it was Apple this thread would of been posted at the time of the leak and have 50 pages by now, even after being locked and cleaned 3 times by mods.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Why are you people excited about this?

Because these incidents show the true face of a company. Many manufacturers lock their phones down under the false pretense of security, well they just got busted.

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Because these incidents show the true face of a company. Many manufacturers lock their phones down under the false pretense of security, well they just got busted.

What your insane. False pretenses my butt you lock something down to secure it. Please tell me why a phone company shouldn't try and secure their devices? Also the bootloader has nothing to do with the reckless release of biometric security code and account authentication systems. These people are criminals period!

46 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Its OK to not understand our excitement, but that excitement is definitely not about user data, as i'm one of those users.
Its the other stuff, they sneaked in over the years. I'm a huge proponent of letting the end-user have the say.
Why i always rooted my phones and put custom firmware on it. Because in my experience a single 'customer' can do what those great companies CANNOT.
Make a worth while operating system. etc.

20 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

What your insane. False pretenses my butt you lock something down to secure it. Please tell me why a phone company shouldn't try and secure their devices? Also the bootloader has nothing to do with the reckless release of biometric security code and account authentication systems. These people are criminals period!

You dont have to resort to name-calling if people do not agree with you.
Better come with proper arguments. Better luck next time.

36 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

False pretenses my butt

Yup, especially when it comes to BS practices like serializing parts and whatnot..... Oh and did i mention that their idea about security and the record short support phones get is a dead giveaway? 🤣

You clearly lack a lot of knowledge on this subject. Having your source code exposed wont matter much as long as your dev team wrote an actually secure code. If they werent then thats on the company/dev team not the hackers exposing their bad practices.

I'm guessing piss poor security because the best hackers on the planet won't waste their time and effort hacking such silly companies like Scamsung.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

It really wont, at least not in the way you are talking about. Its not like the data contains any actual passwords (or any PII at all).

These are low level encryption keys used by the phone on the back end. Nobody is in any danger of getting their details leaked, it just means hackers can look for ways to access Samsung devices without the need for anybodies info at all.

The way these guys are carrying on they will be caught soon, I imagine right now the FBI, Interpol and multiple other security agencies around the globe are all information pooling. They caught the LulzSec guys and they were simply trolling, these guys are dumping trade secrets onto the clearweb.

Edit - Well at least for now there's no indication anyone PII is in danger. Nothing to say they won't do another dump in a few days.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So did this group actually managed to get a hold of Samsung's IP?

I like it when these groups find flaws in companies (and their devices) security so they can be patched. However leaking lots and lots of actual user data and making the user vulnerable kinda sucks. 

Remember: With great power comes great responsibility. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So did this group actually managed to get a hold of Samsung's IP?

I'd be willing to bet, what was actually hacked was a cloud-storage system. Because these big companies have been moving to cloud storage (so employees can work at home/remotely) instead of having file servers in their offices.

Like that's pretty much how the Nintendo gigaleak happened. It wasn't "Nintendo" it was a third party connected to Nintendo that for some reason had all this stuff. 

So it would surprise me if nvidia or samsung has any new stuff leaked. It's far more likely that if anyone actually thought there would be value in having the leaked data, it would only be useful for someone trying to turn their consumer products into zombie bitcoin miners or something, or finding the root keys for the device to replace the OS entirely.