Apple prematurely ends IOS 14 updates and claims it never promised to support IOS 14 in the long term

AlTech
8 hours ago, Commodus said:

The whole point of the CPU throttling was to prevent phones from suddenly shutting down and to... y'know, help you use your phone longer.

Yes i KNOW THE REASON Apple gave, and i understand it, however i have an issue with HOW THEY HID IT.

let me quote myself

So why didn't they tell anyone the reason for it until it blew up across the internet? Could it be they were hoping that people just thought something was wrong with their phones and that it was time to get a new one?

It was the same conclusion, actual planned obsoleneces and hiding the truth ends with people buying new phones

The issue was a lack of communication stemming from Apple's "we know what's best" mindset, not a sinister plot to force early upgrades. 

But to me it IS a "sinister plot", or as i would more prefer to call it "malicious" because of the above bolded quote from myself, these things don't just happen at a company with as much control over it's own products as Apple and hide behind "whoops we forgot to tell people".

If the end result is people thinking "my phone is old and slow" and the only way people know to "fix it" is to buy a new phone, because again, however many people would think "oh i just need to replace my battery to get my performance back" (before apple told everyone why they did it), then it doesn't matter WHY it happened; Malicious or not, Intentional or not, Apple or not, Contempt for their customers or not. Phones slows down with NO explanation until they were called out.

I'm just going to take a page out of @emosun's book and just laugh because it's clear to me there is no point in continuing this, because no matter how many times i've had to explain the above on this forum, people just seem to think "nah, apple is good, i don't care about they're sketchy practices, just consume product" and like to argue "it was years ago" while also being the same people that bring up other company's sketchy pasts from even longer ago. Some people's minds just can't be changed.

so thats a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from me.

If you're happy defending Apple for it's big middle finger(s, because there's been a LOT) to it's customers, more power to you, but don't be surprised when other people look at the same situation and think "what the fuck".

All i can do now is laugh.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

If you think having a phone that runs at full speed but suddenly turns off is better than a throttled but reliable phone - well then you have every right to your own, strange opinion. Ignoring once again the fact that this is really, really, really old news and gets a vastly disproportionate amount of attention compared to the doo-doos of other brands.

If the phone would suddenly turn off that would at least tell the user something is seriously wrong with their phone. The throttling to the point of it feeling slow and old only tells the average user to buy a new phone. And that doesn't even get into the other problems the iphone 6 had, like the touch IC failing, error 53, or the phones bending in half.

And if the iphone 6 is so old and irrelevant then can people stop bringing it up in the first place while crapping on android phones?

If true, even more kudos for Apple that they go all the way to continue supporting platforms that have a small user base only.

That isn't the reason, its because apple has complete control over hardware and software, which isn't always a good thing if you want to keep a phone for more than a few years in terms of software and hardware, apple just ditches support entirely, and you get no updates for apps at all, and with hardware you have no way of getting a decent replacement screen or battery unless you go to an apple store.

Wow, what a bunch of random, ultra-cheapo stereotype prejudices without any factual backup. Really, you are going to pull that card? This is the type of stuff that usually 13yo comment on 9gag. On this basis any discussion with you is completely pointless. I really wonder what drives people like you to try so hard to crap on a brand.

If it isn't true then please feel free to prove me wrong instead of getting upset at me and calling names.

9 hours ago, Dracarris said:

yeah the argumentation lines some people on this forum employ to push their "Apple universally bad" agenda/narrative are totally ridiculous

Nah the argumentation from the "android universally bad" people is the most ridiculous things I see on this forum, it's like the r/apple subreddit, they choose to ignore any flaws something has,even defending apple for it, while crapping on anything from any other brand.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

That isn't the reason, its because apple has complete control over hardware and software, which isn't always a good thing if you want to keep a phone for more than a few years in terms of software and hardware, apple just ditches support entirely, and you get no updates for apps at all, and with hardware you have no way of getting a decent replacement screen or battery unless you go to an apple store.

That makes no sense at all. So far you could keep every single iphone for a good more than "a few years" with full support. Apple "ditches support entirely" only on very old phones, currently up to the 5.

Also the last part about replacement parts is completely wrong, especially with the older phones that you are talking about - ever visited ifixit.com? Repaired both screen and battery myself on a range of iphones, the youngest so far was an iphone X.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If it isn't true then please feel free to prove me wrong instead of getting butthurt and calling names.

No no no. This is not how this works. You came up with those random claims - it is your job to come up with proof/factual backup, and not my job to prove you wrong. I'm baffled I even have to say this.

Meh. As far as I concern, these upgrades are pretty much forced upon. These tech giants can make billions, so why can't they spend a million to keep the old OS alive for just a few more years? We know that eventually the OS got so old that it is not worth pouring resources to update it, but still, many of the times we like the old interfaces better, because we get used to it.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

42 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Never did I claim that.

Not at all. Simply a reaction to the statement you cited before.

Again, not at all what I am doing. Just because I am not beating this already 1000x dead horse again to death does not mean I am ignoring it. I moved on from an issue that happened several years ago. That's it. And when you claim Apple treat their customers (today) like shit I bring valid points that contradict that. Now you can continue to rant about a company/brand that you could as well just ignore, I'll leave it here.

Can you admit that the whole saga started with an under spec'd battery?  Can you admit that they tried to hide it?  can you admit that the problem would not be a problem if they had of just taken ownership of the issue off the bat instead of sneaking a shit update onto consumers? 

Until you can say yes, then you are dodging what happened and engaging in deflection by pointing to shit android phones/tablets.   Which by the way I hate equally as much. 

I won't buy a samsung because of exploding batteries and I won't pretend that never happened, just like I won't buy apple until they sort out their anti consumer practices (which I have experienced first hand because they are not constrained to one phone/event years ago).   Hell they are still trying to fight right to repair with some of the most ridiculous arguments I have every heard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

41 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

And when you claim Apple treat their customers (today) like shit I bring valid points that contradict that. Now you can continue to rant about a company/brand that you could as well just ignore, I'll leave it here.

I'm sorry, I skimmed a lot of things, but I believe the only thing you can point to that says "Apple cares!" is that they "support" their older phones. 

Here's a few counter-points to this notion 🙂

Apple -
"You can't have Google Voice on your iPhones! It'll completely ruin the experience! I recognize it's an app you go out of your way to download, but.... THINK OF THE EXPERIENCE!"
"The reports of suicide nets in our warehouses are.... somewhat overblown"
"Go green, unless it's offering parts for systems!" 
"Yes, our employees used hexane (a toxic chemical) in the factories. No, we didn't feel like giving them proper ventilation or masks, that costs money!"
"We care about our end users so much we lock down available parts!"
"Swapping like-for-like Apple parts? You'll need a special tool that we won't give you. If you don't have it, big errors, no camera, no faceID. You must repair it where we say-so."
"Bad RAM stick? Replace the whole motherboard. I don't care if the RAM isn't soldered. Just toss the old board, charge him, and get it out of here."
"Your Macbook is 'vintage?' Sorry, we don't offer replacement parts anymore. Also, you can't get replacement parts elsewhere because we say so."
"You made replacement parts available for our customers? Well, we shall see you in court!"

I came back to this thread for the typical "Apple bad!" 

I was not disappointed. Yall are nuts sometimes. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Congratulations for turning yet another thread into Apple hating circlejerk of whining over a 7 years old problem...

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Congratulations for turning yet another thread into Apple hating circlejerk of whining over a 7 years old problem...

I don't want to be that guy, but this wouldn't have happened if you just acknowledged the issue instead of trying to defend Apple on what is largely seen as an indefensible act. It would have been two or three posts, not multiple pages. 

Since iOS 15 supports all iOS 14 devices, this problem is the same as Microsoft not giving further updates to Windows 11 build 2220000 and will only continue to update Windows 11 build 2220020.

But, yeah, of it's Apple here. So they're evil. And you can totally rely upon the members of this forum to whip up any Apple related thread into a massive deep state level conspiracy theory

All they did was graciously support people who chose to stay on iOS 14 for half a year more till iOS 15 got even more polished. Looks like that went to bite them in the back!

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

What's that got to do with the post in question?     The post you quoted of mine has nothing to do with updates for iphone or their validity, it is solely about people not being able to deal with the fact some people don't care about them and have experiences that are different.

Personal I think security updates are important, but trying to separate them from the ones that have adverse effects can be difficult,  and that is for all phones not just android.   So some people just don't use their phone for security sensitive things and don't bother updating.  It's not a particular hard concept to understand.

You’re not getting the point. 

Most people actually do, the majority of people use online banking now for example, they order stuff online where they put in their name, address and payment info. There’s also no reason not to update 

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

I won't buy a samsung because of exploding batteries and I won't pretend that never happened, just like I won't buy apple

Rest assured every other brand has "issues" just as big in the past only difference noone really cared for what goes on with the "also ran"s.

32 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

You’re not getting the point. 

Most people actually do, the majority of people use online banking now for example, they order stuff online where they put in their name, address and payment info. There’s also no reason not to update 

The discussion is not about most people, it's about one particular person who doesn't care.  You can't tell someone who doesn't care about updates that they are wrong and should care because you think or decided that most other people do.

5 minutes ago, Kronoton said:

Rest assured every other brand has "issues" just as big in the past only difference noone really cared for what goes on with the "also ran"s.

"also ran" ??

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

"also ran"

Everything that isn't iPhone,Galaxy or Pixel as those are the only one worth writing about (making up) a scandal over any issue.

4 minutes ago, Kronoton said:

Everything that isn't iPhone,Galaxy or Pixel as those are the only one worth writing about (making up) a scandal over any issue.

Oh, yes, I agree with that.  I have had plenty of shit phones that are rarely in the news.  Mind you I've also had some gems that should be talked up more.  The only problem with that though is when those gem products become popular the company starts making more money then becomes assholes like rest of the big boys. 

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

A meerkat understands English better than some humans whose primary language is allegedly English...

@rikitikitaviwould be a mongoose, not a meerkat. (Though the picture does remind me of russian speaking meerkats that brits may be familiar with).

@RejZoRyou should know by now to just not engage moose in these threads. Here's the hint...he rails against corporations with an avatar owned by Warners, shown by Disney, and was used to shill Coca-Cola.

And, I don't believe this has to be explained to anyone who's old enough to turn on a computer...NO COMPANY CARES ABOUT YOU! Not Apple, Not Samsung, not Sony, not LG, not whatever laptop company Linus has invested in, not LMG or Floatplane or Sears or 7-11 or Manscape or those wallet guys or the people who make those weird shoes.

NONE OF THEM!

image.jpeg.e115d27d7cd4956c26b58839b73cb3b4.jpeg

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

NO COMPANY CARES ABOUT YOU! Not Apple, Not Samsung, not Sony, not LG, not whatever laptop company Linus has invested in, not LMG or Floatplane or Sears or 7-11 or Manscape or those wallet guys or the people who make those weird

This is another statement that gets thrown around so much but doesn't actually carry the value the sentence tries to convince you.

A relationship between a company and a customer is a mutual agreement. Company makes products customers care about, and they get money - to further improve their products and position - to serve the customer better. It's a symbiotic relationship and not a parasitic relationship you make it out to  be. If company starts ignoring their customers long enough, they will be doomed and we have many examples of that already (and IMO, OnePlus is dangerously going down that path).

All companies including Apple are made of people. So rather than villainizing a the term "company", if you remove the abstraction, at the end of the day its people, and specifically a small group of people. Vast majority of the people working for these companies are indeed passionate about making a positive difference. I work in a company and I get inspired to work hard knowing that it is going to help somebody - even though my paycheck will be the same at the end of the month. One example, specifically where Apple invests at a complete loss is adding accessibility features onto all their products. They don't have to waste engineering resources and consultants on it, but they do it anyways

15 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

@RejZoRyou should know by now to just not engage moose in these threads. Here's the hint...he rails against corporations with an avatar owned by Warners, shown by Disney, and was used to shill Coca-Cola.

I call out any company who does shit things to their consumers,  I didn't know this was a bad thing to do, but  apparently I turn people into victims simply by pointing out what has been evidentially established as fact.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The discussion is not about most people, it's about one particular person who doesn't care.  You can't tell someone who doesn't care about updates that they are wrong and should care because you think or decided that most other people do.

"also ran" ??

Don’t care that’s not my point. You haven’t read my point you just want to go on the “well x doesn’t care so no one else should”

6 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Don’t care that’s not my point. You haven’t read my point you just want to go on the “well x doesn’t care so no one else should”

For the last time,  my post had nothing to do with the validity of updates.   If you don't care what I was talking about then don't quote me and start some tangential discussion that misses the point. 

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

For the last time,  my post had nothing to do with the validity of updates.   If you don't care what I was talking about then don't quote me and start some tangential discussion that misses the point. 

Again I do not give a shit. Just because one person doesn’t care about updates, they’re wrong by the way, doesn’t mean it’s fine for people to charge over 1K for a device and support it for 24 months. 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:05 PM, RejZoR said:

Oh yes, I'm again the "problematic one" for not encouraging idiocy and being vocal against it...

Had you not been so aggressive and not filled your post with expletives the responses may have been more positive. You are more than capable of a well reasoned debate, but when the grumpy you kicks in the responses take a wrong turn. We’ve all done it, so I do understand. Sometimes it is better to take a step back before responding and re-read, calm down, then make a far better post than an expletive filled knee jerk reactionary one. It is beneath your abilities.

1 hour ago, Imbadatnames said:

Again I do not give a shit. Just because one person doesn’t care about updates, they’re wrong by the way, doesn’t mean it’s fine for people to charge over 1K for a device and support it for 24 months. 

Of course it is wrong to only support a device for less than the warranty lasts in many regions. We all agree on that. We are also consumers so have a choice. We do not have to buy such products, and should refuse to do so. I certainly would not knowing that I would be forced to replace it just because I want to use it as intended and it is now no longer safe to do so.