Bezels be gone: Samsung's MicroLED line is now bezel-free (and 144HZ, that too)

Lightwreather

Summary

It wouldn't be CES without a new round of Samsung TVs, and the 2022 models promise their share of quality upgrades — plus a few new conveniences. To start, the mainstream Neo QLED sets now include what Samsung says are the first 4K and 8K sets with 144Hz inputs instead of the usual 120Hz.

Samsung MicroLED TV (2022)

Quotes

The TVs promise image quality improvements regardless of the source. All the 8K and 4K Neo QLED sets have jumped from a 12-bit backlight to 14-bit, providing more accurate brightness. They also boast a new Shape Adaptive Light Control feature that theoretically improves the mini-LED sets' quality, and an AI-driven Object Depth Enhancer can help distinguish a picture's main subject from its background.

Other sets have their own share of upgrades. Samsung's MicroLED line is now bezel-free, so your giant luxury TV should blend more seamlessly with your decor. They also tout a 10 percent wider color range, and you can buy a 'small' 89-inch preconfigured set if the 99- and 110-inch variants won't quite fit. And if the bezels are precisely what you want, 2022 The Frame sets now have more canvas-like matte displays and a fresh art store interface.

My thoughts

Well, they've done it ladies and gentleman (and others), Samsung has removed the bezels from their Neo QLED TVs. Now, usually I'd dunk on the bezel-free trend citing stuff like the inability to hold and carry the freaking thing without touch the display, but I doubt one will carry this 88" to 110" TV without hiring someone (samsung) to install and move it, but the argument does hold a bit of water. But hey, better picture quality is always welcome. But I'm personally still waiting for their QD-OLEDs (or was that LG?).

Also, these come with the NFT store update (from what I can understand)

Sources

Engadget

Samsung

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

8 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

but I doubt one will carry this 88" to 110" TV

image.jpeg.258c1e165e56e0fddf5c0b58fad6b2b3.jpeg

How To Move A Heavy TV | Step by Step

Have to say though zero bezel does look nice. I don't get the point of making already quite slim bezels slimmer as they are still there and you can see them but none at all, now that make more sense to me.

Oh fuck yes.

I was kind of tempted to get an OLED TV during this year's holiday sale, but decided to wait another year or two. If micro LED TVs (that don't cost millions of dollars) are finally starting to appear on the market then I might as well wait for that.

Not sure why you'd want 144Hz on your TV though. 120Hz is the perfect refresh rate for TV content. Once you go to 144Hz you need to do stuff like three-two pull down.

Edit:
Another neat thing I read about Samsung's new TV's is that they also introduced a remote can be charged through Wi-Fi radio waves.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/2/22860390/samsung-eco-remote-2022-solar-rf-harvesting-charging

I don't think changing or recharging batteries in a remote is a big issue we need to solve, but I think it's a fun concept. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the energy it is able to collect from radio waves is extremely small, but hopefully it's enough for a couple of button presses.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh fuck yes.

I was kind of tempted to get an OLED TV during this year's holiday sale, but decided to wait another year or two. If micro LED TVs (that don't cost millions of dollars) are finally starting to appear on the market then I might as well wait for that.

From all we know these will likely cost thousands of dollars more than current high-end offerings like the LG C1 or Samsung QN90A. My "educated guess" would be $10.000 and up. I don't want to sound too pessimistic but i highly doubt it's gonna be anything else than something millionaires put in their living rooms - at least currently.

These "slim bezels" aren't really new to MicroLED. Their current offerings like "The Wall" consist of multiple panels that are mounted together to create big displays, so zero bezels were already necessary then.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure why you'd want 144Hz on your TV though. 120Hz is the perfect refresh rate for TV content. Once you go to 144Hz you need to do stuff like three-two pull down.

Pure marketing. Then they can claim the "best gaming TV's" because everything else is 120Hz.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh fuck yes.

I'm sure if the TV is capable of doing 144hz it probably can still run at 120hz if you want to. I would agree that 144hz on a TV does seem like a pretty niche feature as not a tone of people will probably care about it. I mean the scenario where you would run 144hz would likely be when gaming on a computer which isn't super common use case for a TV. Then you have to have a powerful enough system to even run games as 4k 144hz. 

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Edit:
Another neat thing I read about Samsung's new TV's is that they also introduced a remote can be charged through Wi-Fi radio waves.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/2/22860390/samsung-eco-remote-2022-solar-rf-harvesting-charging

I don't think changing or recharging batteries in a remote is a big issue we need to solve, but I think it's a fun concept.

I also think stuff like solar charging can be interesting but is hardly necessary. My C9 remote - one of LG's "magic remotes" - has been running for over 2 years on the first (included) pair of AA batteries. 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

44 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think changing or recharging batteries in a remote is a big issue we need to solve, but I think it's a fun concept. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that the energy it is able to collect from radio waves is extremely small, but hopefully it's enough for a couple of button presses.

Ok that is kind of sweet. Why? I dunno, but it sounds awesome. Time to put in high powered APs and raise the minimum radio power?

Ok now this is amazing! I guess all of Samsung's engineering for slimmer bezels finally paid off. 

1 hour ago, PeachGr said:

Criteria for buying a TV.

1) quality

2) price

3) size

4) what will I have for dinner

5) have I left the stove on?

6) bezels. 

I hope this will make some important breakthrough, and not just have another gimmick

I have an 8 years old Philips 4K TV, it's one of first 4K TV's that were released back then and bezels are so thin you basically don't see them. And that was so long ago.

Also what's the point of ultra thin bezels when stupid movie format doesn't match the display in 99% of cases (thanks "cinema" format) so you still get massive black stripes above and below the actual movie, defeating the purpose of "no bezels" entirely.

I'm just dreaming to see MicroLED monitor though, yes it's far off but still.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I agree. Mostly because OLED is horrible for static images like you have on computer ALL the time as it'll burn in so quickly it's not even funny.

I'm actually wondering why is local dimming not being pushed harder on monitors, especially HiSense's approach of stacked LCD panels where one is used entirely for local dimming purposes. It should be way cheaper than OLED and still deliver great dimming without any burn in issues.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I agree. Mostly because OLED is horrible for static images like you have on computer ALL the time as it'll burn in so quickly it's not even funny.

I'm actually wondering why is local dimming not being pushed harder on monitors, especially HiSense's approach of stacked LCD panels where one is used entirely for local dimming purposes. It should be way cheaper than OLED and still deliver great dimming without any burn in issues.

I mean there's upcoming QD-OLED we'll see how that is though. 

Personally I dislike local dimming and really I won't care for HDR with LCD monitors. Not just TVs but freaking monitors even laptops and every other device with display don't use LCD though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Samsung really wants to be the best tv for PC gamers. I’m kind of surprised how many PC people chose LG OLEDs with PCs when you have to worry about low SDR brightness and burn in. 

45 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

"cinema" format

AMD those supporters of the "feature", advertise IMAX format as a huge discovery, even if it is the normal anywhere else 😄

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Edit:

I don't think changing or recharging batteries in a remote is a big issue we need to solve, but I think it's a fun concept.

I don't think this is capturing "wasted" RF insomuch as putting an inductive load on the AP. The increase in amplitude to generate the current needed would harm the overall WiFi SNR level within the area. So, you would only want the remote to charge at night (say 2:00am) when everyone is asleep. Hopefully it can be scheduled for such a time window.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Also what's the point of ultra thin bezels when stupid movie format doesn't match the display in 99% of cases (thanks "cinema" format) so you still get massive black stripes above and below the actual movie, defeating the purpose of "no bezels" entirely.

tbh, for some rather inexplicable reason, I prefer Letterboxing.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

@RejZoR That's gonna take at least a year or two xD, not even MicroLED TVs are out. I mean there's only one <$1200 miniLED Full Array Local Dimming monitor on the market (AOC Agon AG274QXM), so even that is taking a bit.

Cool. It'll be nice to see this trickle down in a few years. Plus maybe now that they've eliminated it, those engineers can move on to other, more interesting feats.

Worrying about touching it when. Icing it is an odd consideration. Gloves exist for a reason 😉

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Plus maybe now that they've eliminated it, those engineers can move on to other, more interesting feats.

this is pretty interesting imo, especially once this gets down to monitors, true beselless monitors for multi-monitors?

hell yeah

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

this is pretty interesting imo, especially once this gets down to monitors, true beselless monitors for multi-monitors?

hell yeah

Seeing as ultrawides exist, I don't really see the huge advantage 🤷‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Seeing as ultrawides exist, I don't really see the huge advantage 🤷‍♂️

Vertical multimonitor is a thing, plus you can’t bend a ultra wide to fit the exact angles you like

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Oh nice. Love me some non-existing bezels. The only downside is that my 55" OLED was already scary to install alone. Not sure my heart could handle having nothing to grab on to anymore 😛

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't mind them in the first place, so I'm biased, but in my room in the dark with OLED's perfect blacks the screen is completely invisible outside of what is displayed so letterboxing is even less of an issue.

49 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

tbh, for some rather inexplicable reason, I prefer Letterboxing.

Mostly because that's how it's "supposed" to look since forever. It was so weird watching Justice League in 4:3

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

8 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Vertical multimonitor is a thing, plus you can’t bend a ultra wide to fit the exact angles you like

You can mount an ultrawide vertically...

The bend one is kind of a ridiculous stretch 😂

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can mount an ultrawide vertically...

The bend one is kind of a ridiculous stretch 😂

Sure, but you’d still need more monitors to get it so be both wide up and down.., say 3x 16x9 wide, 2x 16x9 tall, wo like 2 ultra wides or 6 normal ones

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler