Bezels be gone: Samsung's MicroLED line is now bezel-free (and 144HZ, that too)

Lightwreather
8 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

tbh, for some rather inexplicable reason, I prefer Letterboxing.

Cause it's better than Windowboxing

it looks like "baby's first mod for The Sims"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Seeing as ultrawides exist, I don't really see the huge advantage 🤷‍♂️

I prefer two monitors. It's simply easier to deal with than a ultrawide when you need to do stuff full screen on one monitor. This isn't even to mention the fact that you can have multiple different types of monitors that complement each other. For instance I have a 4k hdr monitor (yes it is real 1000 nits peak brightness local dimming HDR) and then I have a 1080p 360hz for when I want to play esports games. Granted if both of them didn't have bezels it wouldn't be as esthetically pleasing as one ultrawide so I can see why some would prefer that. Also if you are into ultrawide gaming I guess but it's not my cup of tea. I prefer a 25inch monitor specially because I can see the whole screen easily when playing games. With ultrawide I would definitely not be able to see the whole screen at once. 

Edit: Posted on wrong thread somehow

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I prefer two monitors. It's simply easier to deal with than a ultrawide when you need to do stuff full screen on one monitor. This isn't even to mention the fact that you can have multiple different types of monitors that complement each other. For instance I have a 4k hdr monitor (yes it is real 1000 nits peak brightness local dimming HDR) and then I have a 1080p 360hz for when I want to play esports games. Granted if both of them didn't have bezels it wouldn't be as esthetically pleasing as one ultrawide so I can see why some would prefer that. Also if you are into ultrawide gaming I guess but it's not my cup of tea. I prefer a 25inch monitor specially because I can see the whole screen easily when playing games. With ultrawide I would definitely not be able to see the whole screen at once. 

You could 😉 Personally I wouldn't be able to stand having 2 different monitors side by side. I am, however, probably going to go with 2 27" 144hz monitors for my ITX build. If I like the high refresh rate, then when graphics cards drop back down in price I'll grab a high refresh ultrawide, if not, then I'll just grab a cheaper 75hz one. Or maybe by then 4k gaming will be affordable on the 80 series cards and I can just get a massive 43" high refresh 4k monitor and call it a day 😂

Have you ever used an ultrawide? I can definitely see the whole screen at once..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Regarding all the "bezels are thin enough already".

I am a pretty big fan of Philip's "Ambilight". It's LED strips on the back of the TV that matches the color of the screen's content. One problem of that is that you are basically lighting everything but the bezels, so the larger they are the worse it looks. Having smaller bezels makes the effect better. I remember reading somewhere that Philip's patent on "dynamically adjusting bias lighting" is going to expire in a few years, so hopefully more TVs will come with it in the future. According to the Wikipedia article, Philips have been using it in their TVs since 2002, so if they patented it back then it should expire this year.

Here is what it looks like with a thick bezel:

Ambilight-1.thumb.jpg.8354922f404c0229cb236826e00ce01f.jpg

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I agree. Mostly because OLED is horrible for static images like you have on computer ALL the time as it'll burn in so quickly it's not even funny.

I'm actually wondering why is local dimming not being pushed harder on monitors, especially HiSense's approach of stacked LCD panels where one is used entirely for local dimming purposes. It should be way cheaper than OLED and still deliver great dimming without any burn in issues.

Hisense's double-layer LCD TV's have shown to have the closest-to-OLED contrast we've seen yet, but come with their own downsides. One of them is horrible response times, which is one reason it's not fitting as a PC monitor.

16 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@RejZoR That's gonna take at least a year or two xD, not even MicroLED TVs are out. I mean there's only one <$1200 miniLED Full Array Local Dimming monitor on the market (AOC Agon AG274QXM), so even that is taking a bit.

There are a few MiniLED monitors on the market, sadly all of them use an IPS panel which works against what MiniLED is supposed to do: Reduce blooming. Plus atm they also have a response time problem, being a couple generations slower than current "normal" IPS monitors.

44 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Regarding all the "bezels are thin enough already".

I am a pretty big fan of Philip's "Ambilight". It's LED strips on the back of the TV that matches the color of the screen's content. One problem of that is that you are basically lighting everything but the bezels, so the larger they are the worse it looks. Having smaller bezels makes the effect better. I remember reading somewhere that Philip's patent on "dynamically adjusting bias lighting" is going to expire in a few years, so hopefully more TVs will come with it in the future. According to the Wikipedia article, Philips have been using it in their TVs since 2002, so if they patented it back then it should expire this year.

Here is what it looks like with a thick bezel:

I agree it looks better without bezels, but here we're also at a point already where there are virtually zero bezels:

image.png.ac7885e0b3a88a3d89b3cd78e197a4d2.png

But tbh i'm not a fan of this feature either way as i prefer to watch my HDR content in a pitch black room for the most impactful experience.

My point still stands: Their older MicroLED solution already was bezel free. This "TV" is actually multiple of these panels put together:

image.thumb.png.099d40c0cb37fe8817257b7a9021b1c7.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@Stahlmann

You say that about Ambilight because you haven't experienced it yet. Once you do, I don't think you could ever go back to regular TV's. The effect is just amazing and really adds dynamic to the flat rectangular display. Especially with movies with dark scenes where shit happens like explosions and the light blows out of the display into walls. You just don't feel like action is only within the frame of a TV.

Besides, Ambilight is fully controllable by user. You can make it slower to react, you can make it less intensive in brightness, you can set a single color at any brightness or you can just turn it off entirely if you don't want it.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

@Stahlmann

You say that about Ambilight because you haven't experienced it yet. Once you do, I don't think you could ever go back to regular TV's. The effect is just amazing and really adds dynamic to the flat rectangular display. Especially with movies with dark scenes where shit happens like explosions and the light blows out of the display into walls. You just don't feel like action is only within the frame of a TV.

Besides, Ambilight is fully controllable by user. You can make it slower to react, you can make it less intensive in brightness, you can set a single color at any brightness or you can just turn it off entirely if you don't want it.

I had a similar thing in my LG 27GN950-B and i hated it. After using it for an hour or so i turned it off. It could probably be good if it's only used for explosions etc. but if i get a green underglow from a field of grass it just looks wrong.

Don't get me wrong, i'd rather include the feature than not. But i personally would probably keep it off.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.