Do you Americans/Canadians ever drive manual cars?

Actual_Criminal
7 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

is my instructor right

No, thats bad advice. There are still plenty of manual cars being produced and while automatic cars may be more popular in cities like London, everywhere else the majority are manual still.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

They’ll be banned in the uk in 2030, at least new, then be taxed into the ground after that to disincentivise the used market.

Now that's just shitty.
Doesn't make sense to me to outlaw a transmisssion type that's been around since the beginning. And when you say "Banned" I hope that only means for production, not for just taking them off the road regardless.

I'll just say it - People in general have gotten lazy over the years about their cars and the shift towards automatics is but one symptom/outcome because of it. I understand why some if not many prefer them - In some cases it's even a necessity (Disabled/Handicapped) so no arguement there but at the same time to ban manuals is just beyond shitty.
This shift has also been fueled by production costs, newer designs, sales of auto equipped vs manual equipped and so on, that I get but to fully eliminate them (To me) just sounds crazy.

But at the same time I guess it's expected too as past and current trends show.

I happen to have both here and can go either way, love the control I've got with my pickup's 5-speed along with the feel of it too, however it's not a convenient as an auto for those mornings in traffic when holding a latte while trying to merge into traffic that's largely stop and go. My daily is an auto and it's fine, what I don't like about an auto is if it has a problem it costs some big $$ in nearly every case to fix plus not everyone can fix it themselves. With a manual, with normal use the clutch is about all you'd need worry about and those are usually not that bad or hard to do yourself - I've done it a few times myself.

Some of the trend towards it has been fueled by the auto industry itself for profit reasons as in the service dept can really stick it to you over any problems you may have.
Some may scream "Warranty" but you'd be suprised how much isn't covered under warranty and must admit alot of things that goes wrong with a manual (Mostly clutch-related) is due to abuse and those guys try and pass it off as being under warranty, in which abuse is not.
Warranty issues like this are one of the biggies why the industry has been slowly moving away from manuals in vehicles. I used to work in a Ford dealership's service dept and yes, I've seen a few Mustangs come in with bad clutches and you don't have to guess how it happened or how happy the dealer wasn't.

My thoughts:
If you want to drive a manual, get it and drive it and if you don't get an automatic instead - Everyone's happy (I guess).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Colty said:

Some dual clutches may offer better fuel economy, but they also have taller gearing so it's not a 1:1 comparison. I haven't yet looked into same gearing DCT vs manual, but I imagine it'd be fairly similar. The issue is how you drive, not what you drive. And if fuel economy is important, you probably care about cost. DCTs need fluid/filter changes often (every 40k-60k iirc). That's not cheap, even if you DIY it. And CTVs are (at this point) not very reliable. Once that's figured out though, and you can put 300k miles on a CVT, the CVT might be cheaper, despite also needing fluid/filters like the DCT.

Yes, car alarms and all that are important, but if someone gets your keys, the only thing that can stop them is them not knowing how to operate a clutch. 

Other than cost, I would say it's still good to have an understanding of a manual transmission. Like I said up above, if I was hiking, broke my legs and we had driven out in my car, I would hope one of my passengers would be able to row some gears and get me somewhere. 

Funny you mention "needless complexity" when it's really the CVT's and DCT's that are overly complex when we've had something that "just works" for over 100 years.

For me, it's a fight to have more control over a car, drive cheaper, have more fun. Especially living in an area with snow (Minnesota), I'm able to get moving a lot easier than an auto-box. A seasoned driver can do better than a computer trying to control the tire slip. And of course, in a modern car you can still have the computer assist and the proper technique. But in an auto box? I see people end up needing to turn off traction control to let the tires spin and hopefully get up a driveway/hill.

On efficiency: driving habits certainly matter. I'm just pointing out that the days of autos being inherently less efficient than manuals are over. There's now a big "it depends."

And while you're right about getting keys... if a thief has your keys, you have much bigger things to worry about than whether or not they'll stall at the intersection! It's a bit like those security reports that warn about a major OS exploit that requires the attacker already have access to your machine.

It's not so much that knowledge of manual transmissions isn't useful, it's that this usefulness is already limited and won't get better. Cars.com determined that 1.6 percent of new cars in the US were manuals last year. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped further. Also, manuals most recently peaked at 34 percent of new US cars... in 1980; statistically, it's extremely unlikely someone in the region will need to know how to stick shift.

When I talk about complexity, I'm talking about the end user. Manuals are relatively simple behind the scenes, but they only really exist because the technology to automate gear shifts (or to eliminate that gearing altogether) wasn't viable for a long time. Current autos have their own issues, but ultimately they reflect where cars are (and arguably should be) going — drivers generally focus more on the road and less on their RPM. I mean, the ultimate goal is self-driving electric vehicles where you don't have to drive unless you really need/want to, but that's another story.

10 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

My driving instructor even said there is no point going for manual these days and I should just go for automatic

This is terrible advice. 

There's no reason to not get a manual license, even if you plan only only buying automatic cars. With a manual license you can drive both manual and automatic cars, so there's really no point in limiting yourself to just automatics for no reason, it's not like the lessons or license are any cheaper. 

I personally prefer manual, but it's really not difficult, once you're used to it, you don't even think about it anymore and it becomes basically muscle memory.

I don't have much experience driving a manual, but I can do it if needed. I've never owned one for my own vehicle though (which is why I haven't driven them much). Both of my current vehicles are automatic, but I do definitely still see a point in knowing how to drive a manual. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I live in the US and currently only know automatic, but I also only have a drivers' permit (and for only 5 months at that), not a full license. I do plan to learn manual though as it could be handy.

elephants

Manual transmissions promote the best driving spirit! Here is me at my local twisties (Palomar Mountain).

58386183-20150201_Palomar+Mountain_1852.jpg

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

10 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Hmm but why? Curious

If you can drive an automatic transmission equipped car, then you can drive an automatic transmission car.

If you can drive a stick shift, then you can drive any car.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Well, it's not that hard to learn and you never know when you might need to drive manual. In the US that may be an extremely rare occurrence, but where I live manual cars are still very common (and I personally prefer them).

If we actually end up transitioning to electric cars in the semi-near future then it may truly become a pointless skill.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

The real question is, why does Europe have a manual license to begin with? Do the laws of the road suddenly change? Seems like if you don't know how to drive stick you just wouldn't do it.

Except a driver's license exists specifically so you can't drive cars if you don't know how. We don't just let people try their luck with potentially deadly vehicles. If you learn how to drive with an automatic car then there's no guarantee you'll know how to drive a manual. For a while I didn't even know you could get an automatic-only license because everyone here just takes the manual test, which is valid for both.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

with manual taking 10 hours.

Can you just, like... read the op before you type out a rant? They said they need to drive 10 hours a week for work, not to get a license. The learning time is the same regardless of whether you get a "full" license or the automatic-only one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The learning time is the same regardless of whether you get a "full" license or the automatic-only one.

Yeah, well apparently it is roughly 20-30 hours lesson time for automatics and 30-40 hours lesson time for manuals (on average).

Only had 5 hours so far all in a manual (diesels are soo much stiffer to drive than petrols)... I plan to hopefully do 30 hours and then take my test and pass. Then after I pass, take another 2-4 extra hour lessons on the motorway.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

11 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

My driving instructor even said there is no point going for manual these days and I should just go for automatic.

You should change your driving instructor. Don't make a transmission a limiting factor, when you have to drive a manual for whatever reason.

Can't say how many times I sweated over giving my keys to a valet or service representative (Canada). I had an occasion, when a bunch of young valets grouped by my car to figure out who would "risk it", with the "brave" one starting to burn through my clutch, as I finally got to them and parked it myself... I didn't realize what was going on until it was too late (when he started revving) 😕

to answer the original question, I've tried, but not in a formal setting. I once tried manual driving my grandpas farm truck. I sucked at it. I've also worked at a car auction once and there was a lot of moving cars, so one of the guys tried to teach me, and I could kind of do it, but I still mostly sucked at it. I would never choose manual over automatic. Manual does provide better mileage, but that difference is lessened or negligent when it comes to EV's
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/yes-an-ev-can-have-a-manual-transmission/ (interesting read if you like cars)
As I plan for a future of environmental action and assume a slow but eventual switch to EV's, the manual transmission just doesn't have much of a chance of being mainstream in the future, so I don't feel it necessary to learn it now when i never plan to drive a manual again

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Short answer, yes.

IMG_20190119_201048.jpg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Now that's just shitty.
Doesn't make sense to me to outlaw a transmisssion type that's been around since the beginning. And when you say "Banned" I hope that only means for production, not for just taking them off the road regardless.

I'll just say it - People in general have gotten lazy over the years about their cars and the shift towards automatics is but one symptom/outcome because of it. I understand why some if not many prefer them - In some cases it's even a necessity (Disabled/Handicapped) so no arguement there but at the same time to ban manuals is just beyond shitty.
This shift has also been fueled by production costs, newer designs, sales of auto equipped vs manual equipped and so on, that I get but to fully eliminate them (To me) just sounds crazy.

But at the same time I guess it's expected too as past and current trends show.

I happen to have both here and can go either way, love the control I've got with my pickup's 5-speed along with the feel of it too, however it's not a convenient as an auto for those mornings in traffic when holding a latte while trying to merge into traffic that's largely stop and go. My daily is an auto and it's fine, what I don't like about an auto is if it has a problem it costs some big $$ in nearly every case to fix plus not everyone can fix it themselves. With a manual, with normal use the clutch is about all you'd need worry about and those are usually not that bad or hard to do yourself - I've done it a few times myself.

Some of the trend towards it has been fueled by the auto industry itself for profit reasons as in the service dept can really stick it to you over any problems you may have.
Some may scream "Warranty" but you'd be suprised how much isn't covered under warranty and must admit alot of things that goes wrong with a manual (Mostly clutch-related) is due to abuse and those guys try and pass it off as being under warranty, in which abuse is not.
Warranty issues like this are one of the biggies why the industry has been slowly moving away from manuals in vehicles. I used to work in a Ford dealership's service dept and yes, I've seen a few Mustangs come in with bad clutches and you don't have to guess how it happened or how happy the dealer wasn't.

My thoughts:
If you want to drive a manual, get it and drive it and if you don't get an automatic instead - Everyone's happy (I guess).

They’re effectively banning it as all new vehicles must be electric from 2030 with hybrids getting a stay of execution till 35 and EV don’t have gears of a clutch. After that ICE will likely be taxed HEAVILY along with skyrocketing fuel prices will make them just not economical to run.

12 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

I am learning to drive in the UK where most people use manual cars. However, automatic-only licences are becoming more common because more and more people are just using automatic cars, like the States where I believe automatic is really popular.

My driving instructor even said there is no point going for manual these days and I should just go for automatic.

I am doing manual lessons because my new job soon will require driving around 10 hours or so per week and might be driving different cars.

Still, is my instructor right and is there really any point in doing manual lessons these days? 

If manual is still pretty prevalent and there's a significant chance that your new job will require you to be in lots of different cars, then it's probably a good idea to learn manual. I'm Canadian and have only ever driven automatics. Manual transmission cars here are more for car enthusiasts. 

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On my end coming from an automatic car to manual motorcycles and finally getting a manual car, in terms of the engaging driving experience, it's just not the same but for daily commuting I'll likely get an automatic with a decent manual mode.

I am still glad I learned to drive stick, it keeps me pretty flexible from knowing what a wet motorcycle clutch to car clutches and learning why people do weird to me things on the road before I drove manual lol 

Another thing, at least for the older 09 civic I am driving, cruise control and hills ain't your friend, you gotta shift gears, keeps you thinking on longer roads but annoying lol 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

8 minutes ago, Sharif said:

On my end coming from an automatic car to manual motorcycles and finally getting a manual car, in terms of the engaging driving experience, it's just not the same but for daily commuting I'll likely get an automatic with a decent manual mode.

I am still glad I learned to drive stick, it keeps me pretty flexible from knowing what a wet motorcycle clutch to car clutches and learning why people do weird to me things on the road before I drove manual lol 

Another thing, at least for the older 09 civic I am driving, cruise control and hills ain't your friend, you gotta shift gears, keeps you thinking on longer roads but annoying lol 

Idiotic drivers are enough to keep me thinking tbh 😉

Also, given you are a new driver, I would like to give you a tip. If you can, choose a good driving instructor - check reviews, to get the most hard-ass, the one who takes you to ridiculously bad/hard places, don't go for "great instructor, not intrusive, always so nice" etc. I had mine for a month, after getting my first DL - she taught me more than the driving school and all the testing. It is bad enough that it is a breeze to get a driving licence, in my experience with getting one internationally, another two in Canada (car and moto) - so no wonder I encounter so many clueless drivers on daily basis.

12 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Standard usually also gets better gas mileage compared to automatic counterpart

thats been a myth, sure with early autos that didn't shift at the right time thats true but its hard for a 4-6 speed manual to compete with 8-10 speed auto

its on my list to learn but the house doesn't have one right now for me and my sister to learn on. At some point I'll also learn on tractors given theres a few in the family.

6 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Considering by 2030 no new manual cars will be sold there’s no point unless you need it for work. Electric cars are the future and they don’t have gears 

I won't start my rant on why just trying to move everyone to electric cars can't work.

they can have gears

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

Also, given you are a new driver, I would like to give you a tip. If you can, choose a good driving instructor - check reviews, to get the most hard-ass, the one who takes you to ridiculously bad/hard places, don't go for "great instructor, not intrusive, always so nice" etc. I had mine for a month, after getting my first DL - she taught me more than the driving school and all the testing. It is bad enough that it is a breeze to get a driving licence, in my experience with getting one internationally, another two in Canada (car and moto) - so no wonder I encounter so many clueless drivers on daily basis.

Oh really?

I might have fucked up then because I have only tried 2 instructors so far (the best in my area) and the first one was a lot more strict and less forgiving when I made mistakes lol, so I told him I didn't need anymore lessons... The other one is much more calm when I make mistakes and let's me do what I want haha; he is more experienced though and uses a petrol car which feels much easier to drive than a diesel which the strict instructor had.

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I won't start my rant on why just trying to move everyone to electric cars can't work.

they can have gears

As long as all electric cars can be charged fully at home, then I think it's possible. 

Just now, Actual_Criminal said:

As long as all electric cars can be charged fully at home, then I think it's possible. 

materials is part of the issue, the other is building more roads doesn't result in less traffic. 16 lane freeways don't carry that much more than 12 lane and both carry nothing compared to transit

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

57 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Oh really?

I might have fucked up then because I have only tried 2 instructors so far (the best in my area) and the first one was a lot more strict and less forgiving when I made mistakes lol, so I told him I didn't need anymore lessons... The other one is much more calm when I make mistakes and let's me do what I want haha; he is more experienced though and uses a petrol car which feels much easier to drive than a diesel which the strict instructor had.

Doesn't matter what car you are driving/taught on as long as you are getting better education.

I have no idea what kind of mistakes you are talking about: parallel parking that is off by a couple degrees or stopping in the middle of intersection with a panic attack?!

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Except a driver's license exists specifically so you can't drive cars if you don't know how. We don't just let people try their luck with potentially deadly vehicles. If you learn how to drive with an automatic car then there's no guarantee you'll know how to drive a manual. For a while I didn't even know you could get an automatic-only license because everyone here just takes the manual test, which is valid for both.

But if you can't drive a manual, you just wouldn't drive it. A drivers license is more proof that you know how to drive on the road and obey the laws. Anyone learning to drive a manual, just like an automatic, is going to take it slow and practice in their neighborhood or in a parking lot. Ooh! Super scary!

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Can you just, like... read the op before you type out a rant? They said they need to drive 10 hours a week for work, not to get a license. The learning time is the same regardless of whether you get a "full" license or the automatic-only one.

Can you just, like... not exaggerate shit and read other posts before you type out a dumb comment? Since when did a single sentence constitute "typing out a rant?"

For the record;

14 hours ago, James Evens said:

Looking at it you now need (after getting the licence) another 10 hours and 15 minute test drive on manual to get it removed. Not sure how much this actually changed. If the parents/you only drive automatic then there is no reason todo the manual anymore as you can easily upgrade to manual later on if needed.

So I'll take that apology now. Not you James, I assume confusion will happen.

#Muricaparrotgang

I would still go with manual transmission license just because it allows you to drive both transmission types of cars. I was in the similar situation several years ago when I was taking a new license in the another country. Although there 95+ percent of cars have automatic transmission I took manual transmission license just because it is more versatile.