Gaming is not 'fun' anymore when you hit a certain age?

mrchow19910319
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

Maybe you're tired of games with goals since you now have goals to achive IRL. You might nowadays find goalless sandbox games fun because it's pure freedom and no expectations.

I think that's why BeamNG is one of my favorites. It always has been and always will be an expectationless escape from the real world. Over the years, other game modes have been added that include challenges and goals, but you need not pay any attention to them and just stick with the free roam mode that always has been there and always will be there. 

Or maybe fire up Minecraft in creative mode, pick a direction, and just walk enjoying the world. Try that whenever you're bored. I've walked hundreds of thousands of blocks in game. 

But if you have any self respect at all, DO NOT turn to social media every time you feel bored. It's a trap that I'm still working on escaping from. I find it's sometimes better to just sit still and just let yourself exist. It's nice to not be doing anything sometimes. Anything is better than bordem driven addiction. 

Maybe watch this video, see if it applies to you

For me it's not just games, it's literally everything I do from anime to games to reading manga, I can't keep focus on it for more than a few minutes unless I truly enjoy it, which is getting rarer these days

take care of your mental health, fellow gamer

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I've pretty much stopped playing games as well. At first it was a temporary break to do work, but then I came back after a few days and games just didn't seem... fun anymore. 

same here. sometimes I wanted to game, but ending up taking out cellphone and mindlessly scrolling through a bunch of stuff then fall asleep...

17 hours ago, tankyx said:

I feel the same, but not for the same reasons.

I changed continents, and so I changed timezones too. And now I am unable to play with my friends, and playing alone isn't fun.

I usually pickup an online game, play for 20-30 hours, get bored and I just stop. I miss gaming with my friends.

yeah,,, me too. I went back to my home country after living overseas for a while. and... yeah. the whole thing was a struggle.

16 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Games that recently accomplished that were Dark Souls Remastered, Dark Souls 3, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Final Fanstasy 15 and Terraria.

holy shit. thats still a lot!

16 hours ago, Montana16 said:

I usually play games in the evening / night after dinner and after I did everything I wanted to do that day. Which keeps me from having guilt for not doing what I need to do and therefore I can relax and play without thinking constantly about shit I have to do.

I also have these periods where I'm not really interested in gaming and every game gets boring or annoying after a short time. I don't know why but going back to older games often does the trick for me. Just had one of these periods and after seeing BF2042 game-play I wanted to play battlefield again. So I installed BF3 a few weeks ago and been playing it every evening since then and having a blast doing it.

I can play battlefiled 4 to my deathbed. too bad I live in Asia where you cant find a server that has a decent ping... also most of the servers dont have any people in it..... 

16 hours ago, Jerry Mouse said:

I don't get into FPS games at all anymore. My reflexes aren't what they used to be and you only get in older terms "fragged" so many times in a row until you either quit or break something and quit. I've had a couple of mini strokes and I am not what I used to be.
 I still play driving games and do okay. Not for long at a time though. I am guilty of point and click gaming...for shame.

take care dude. you can always watch streams or youtube and just chill

16 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I'm 33 and I still like to play games. Mostly GTA tho because they never gets boring to me. And sometimes The Crew 2 but unfortunately that game has gone trash lately.

And games these days have gone full retard by greedy publishers with horrible managements and lazy and idiotic devs. See BF2042 and GTA Trollogy Defective Edition as examples. See Cyberprank 2077 and a lot of ("new") games are filled with bugs and glitches and are unfinished too.

Games in the 90s and 2000s used to be very fun and didn't need a lot of patches and also no microtransactions. It's the gaming industry has gone toxic by stupid fucks in tight suits.

release an unfinished game 

money grab from the hype

apologize

profit??? 

16 hours ago, rrats said:

I don't know why, but most games became boring to me at that age.

oh wow. then you must have other form of entertainment then, when I was that age gaming was all I wanted and all I had LOL

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Depends. Usually I get sidetracked and want to do something else like watch sports. Most open world games/souls-borne games are incredibly boring to me. Feels like they follow the same exact formula and after you play one, you've played them all. Story usually isn't enough to detract from that.

Shooters, I can't keep up with the zoomers or people that play all day anymore. I play a few matches in Halo Infinite, get my ass kicked, log off. I try not to get frustrated, but its hard because I enjoy the game and used to be good at shooters. After 10+ years of playing MMOs its completely ruined what aiming skill I had.

Recently played through Guardians of the Galaxy though, it was a really fun play through. The fully customizable difficulty was really nice rather than your typical easy/medium/hard. Story is great, combat is meh. The linear story and world reminded me of older games which was refreshing.

a few years ago stopped playing leage of legends for half a year, after that cant get into it anymore.. you have to play a certain amount of time just to have the same reflexes as you used to be... then theres many new champoin came out that i have to learn,,,, feels like too much work for me.

14 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'll start this with, I'm not that old yet. I'm 28. I definitely can't sit and play the games that I used to play for long periods of time. 12-16 hour sessions on OSRS? 12 year old me did it. Now, I touch that game two or three times a year, feel the nostalgia and close it out in a couple hours. 

I still play enough FPS games that reaction times and all that aren't really an issue (I'm routinely T500 in Overwatch if I did more than my 15 placement matches and linked my phone to my account). That being said, OW is a lot more than shooting. Map control, thinking about what the other team is going to be doing etc. Valorant, CS:GO, R6S, I can't play. I suck at them and they make me angry which gets expensive.

I've pivoted more towards story games, or more relaxed multiplayer and even driving, flying and farming simulators. RDR2, CP2077, FC5 and 6 etc. I still find racing games a lot of fun. A group of people I work with and I play Farming Sim somewhat regularly, and FS2022 was the game I was most excited about this year. I still find Pokemon fun, but that was what got me into playing games. I got Pokemon Red and a GBC the year they came out for Christmas. 

Priorities and how you get enjoyment out of games shifts, there's nothing wrong with that. 

recently I find Wolcen pretty enjoyable to be honest, yes the game is still buggy, but I can just zoom out and farm and grind new gears, then keep killing monsters.. I felt it was quite chilling just to grind out some gears for  my character. Also I can check out new build on youtube and modify my old build as well. Really relaxing experience. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

11 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

holy shit. thats still a lot!

I'm talking about the last few years. In that context recently was the wrong word. And in that context it's not that many games.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It's much harder for me to want to play games. But on rare occasions a game will suck me in like they used to and it feels magical.

I used to play single player games quite a lot. Now I'll get bored even on multiplayer type games if I'm not on discord with any of my friends.

12 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

a few years ago stopped playing leage of legends for half a year, after that cant get into it anymore.. you have to play a certain amount of time just to have the same reflexes as you used to be... then theres many new champoin came out that i have to learn,,,, feels like too much work for me.

Thats a really good point. If a game has some sort of dominating meta that everyone attaches to the game becomes very boring to me. I don't have time to research builds and strats to just play the game effectively and not waste others time.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I found the strange correlation between being inebriated and not playing games.  Don't want to play computer games when inebriated.

Also yeah, getting older by the minute.

I edit my posts more often than not

8 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

It's much harder for me to want to play games. But on rare occasions a game will suck me in like they used to and it feels magical.

it is exactly the same for me

4 minutes ago, EL02 said:

I used to play single player games quite a lot. Now I'll get bored even on multiplayer type games if I'm not on discord with any of my friends.

same same

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

I found the strange correlation between being inebriated and not playing games.  Don't want to play computer games when inebriated.

Also yeah, getting older by the minute.

yeah I was definitely surprised that I get a high doing daily day chores than gaming LOL

Also I dont eat as much as I used to, went to buffet and wanted to have a blast just eat a ton end up realizing that I am kind of full after 30 minutes. LOL

from age to difference in gaming and more.

there will be some big hits that some people just want to complete.

But a lot of games today also has a different focus, both in keeping you in the game or engaged in the content.

Sadly a lot of bad practices that can sour someones experience, either from a point of balance or paid content or restrictions.

Also that a linear path in a lot of games have gone away, with some that are just bigger than what they need to be.

as seen with older shooters like halo or other BF or COD and so on. Where most chaptered content is gone. also the pace being more and more "too much" at times. in the same way if an action movie was just action for 4-10 or so hours in a game, that can be draining. or if the game only used cutscenes and so on.

then there is also information pressure, knowing the "META" in some games where it's maybe a cheap way of saying "gotta learn this to win if not, don't enjoy it" and has to be up to date on it, as it goes for some SP but mostly in MP aspects.

Maybe you're tired of games with goals since you now have goals to achive IRL. You might nowadays find goalless sandbox games fun because it's pure freedom and no expectations.

I think that's why BeamNG is one of my favorites. It always has been and always will be an expectationless escape from the real world. Over the years, other game modes have been added that include challenges and goals, but you need not pay any attention to them and just stick with the free roam mode that always has been there and always will be there. 

Or maybe fire up Minecraft in creative mode, pick a direction, and just walk enjoying the world. Try that whenever you're bored. I've walked hundreds of thousands of blocks in game. 

But if you have any self respect at all, DO NOT turn to social media every time you feel bored. It's a trap that I'm still working on escaping from. I find it's sometimes better to just sit still and just let yourself exist. It's nice to not be doing anything sometimes. Anything is better than bordem driven addiction. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

It's more priorities in life than your age, I'd say.

I'm recently married. Making my wife smile means far more to me than anything I can do in a game. Throw in house maintenance and... yeah, gaming should take a backseat.

That and experience simply puts games in a broader context. You start to realize that you're pouring tons of energy into a game with little to show for it. For some games the very act of playing is the thing (I love Destiny 2 for the mechanics), but I've seen enough in life that I ask why I'd play for achievements/trophies or multiplayer dominance if I wasn't a competitive player. I'd rather hike, or travel, or otherwise see the world around me. Life is too short to not explore as much as you can before you're gone.

3 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I do have goals aligned for myself in real life. And I am preparing for it, waiting for the opportunity to go for it. I think you nailed this one. 

6 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Hmmm. I think social media is fine. I find browing reddit and chatting with people and getting things off my chest really relaxing. I think if you can actually sit still and just chill, that's awesome dude. 

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Life is too short to not explore as much as you can before you're gone.

true that.

Though I have to say, one game gave me another perspective of life - What Remains of Edith Finch.

Very rare occasion. 

If anyone's played it i hope they agree...

The "Game of life" is superior to any digital one. It might even been one to consider my goals in life. How often a game does that?

I edit my posts more often than not

I still play games but usually it was after 10pm because I don't have anything else to do around that time period. 

New games nowadays doesn't give me similar excitement anymore. The only new-ish one that i somewhat enjoy playing nowadays is Last Epoch, Hades and Satisfactory. I tried Halo Infinite recently. I was kinda enjoying it early on and then slowly questioning my existence. I quickly went to sleep and removed the game the next day.

I used to hate turn based games but as i grew older i starting to like them. I discovered Divinity: Original Sin 2 last year and blown away at the game quality and how much i enjoyed the game mechanics and story at my own pace.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

12 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I used to hate turn based games but as i grew older i starting to like them. I discovered Divinity: Original Sin 2 last year and blown away at the game quality and how much i enjoyed the game mechanics and story at my own pace.

you probably should try some of the older divinity games too or I mean the first one "Divnity original sin 1".

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I was kinda enjoying it early on and then slowly questioning my existence.

me with pvp games.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I find I'm no longer interested in new release games. I think I've only purchased one new game this year. Modern games just don't seem rewarding to play. It's also much harder for me to find the motivation to learn a new game so if I do play games I'm more likely to just go back to the same old games that I've been playing for the last few years.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I try and get other things done before I game or I use it as a break from other things

I'm about to be 21, so certainly not old

my game choice has changed a lot over the years, I really don't play any competitive FPS games anymore I'm mostly back on the strategy and sim genres again.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I`ll be 22 soon and i certianly play less games than when i was younger. Before it gaming was what i did with most of my free time, but now its mroe like 1/3 of what i do with my free time, i still very much enjoy it and it is not a waste of time imo. 

I play more FPS games because i think they`re fun and it dosent require you to sit down for a long time. I rarely have the time to sit down for 4-5 hours and play these days.

I played WoW since TBC and quit during BFA after they basically started handing away high level characters. It wasn't any fun to experience the new characters because all I was doing was "studying" their movesets. (That and gold was like water, there was no reason to even farm any more.) It wasn't attractive in the sense I wasn't "becoming" a new archetype to play with. I play FF XIV with a friend of mine now and it's basically the same feeling because it's a new skin for the same old stuff. I want to go to school or get an IT job but for personal reasons it's proving harder than I want it to be. When I log onto my steam account I look at my games and I get stressed because I feel like I'm being forced into playing them, it's not fun any more. New games are all the same to me. Anyway; I feel you, OP. Maybe we just need to move on, I guess!

19 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

DO NOT turn to social media every time you feel bored. It's a trap that I'm still working on escaping from

That's why I'm limiting my LTT forum usage to only twice a day, max

It's an endless time sink that gives cheap dopamine kicks

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Todays games arent as awesome as back in the day.

Game-developers either are higly incompetent or they just dont wanna waste the money.

(I mean just compare what indie-game developers can do, and the vile stuff the big companies put out. Fucking shamefull!)

I used to game 8 hours a day, now if i even game 4 hours of 1 day in the week its a lot.

I just can be bothered anymore, gameplay is totally a thing of the past.

Games are so badly optimized that changing from low to high graphic settings matters almost nothing.

Let alone the need for insane hardware on some games, and lets be honest they dont look that much better.

Games arent made to be played anymore, but just to be payed. (excluding the many indie-dev's that seem to be able to push out some gems!)

All in all, im sick of the gaming community as it is, i feel the console masses ruined everything good on games.

Quality is lower prices are higher, and lacking performance cus its was made for that limited console...

Sorry for me ranting. 🙂

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!