Gaming is not 'fun' anymore when you hit a certain age?

mrchow19910319
Go to solution Solved by LloydLynx,

Maybe you're tired of games with goals since you now have goals to achive IRL. You might nowadays find goalless sandbox games fun because it's pure freedom and no expectations.

I think that's why BeamNG is one of my favorites. It always has been and always will be an expectationless escape from the real world. Over the years, other game modes have been added that include challenges and goals, but you need not pay any attention to them and just stick with the free roam mode that always has been there and always will be there. 

Or maybe fire up Minecraft in creative mode, pick a direction, and just walk enjoying the world. Try that whenever you're bored. I've walked hundreds of thousands of blocks in game. 

But if you have any self respect at all, DO NOT turn to social media every time you feel bored. It's a trap that I'm still working on escaping from. I find it's sometimes better to just sit still and just let yourself exist. It's nice to not be doing anything sometimes. Anything is better than bordem driven addiction. 

2 hours ago, mousesnob said:

I`ll be 22 soon and i certianly play less games than when i was younger. Before it gaming was what i did with most of my free time, but now its mroe like 1/3 of what i do with my free time, i still very much enjoy it and it is not a waste of time imo. 

I play more FPS games because i think they`re fun and it dosent require you to sit down for a long time. I rarely have the time to sit down for 4-5 hours and play these days.

you have 4-5 hours everyday to play video game? thats not bad at all.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Also I noticed gaming is more fun if you have friend/s to play with. 
I remember I was playing Terraria alone and it feels such a chore, then one of my friend decided to join and boom.. I had a blast.

It became one of my favorite game of all time. 

Also similar thing happened with Guild Wars 2, I was playing alone for like a year, it felt like having a 2nd job. Then my old time online friend decided to join and it became so much more enjoyable and we've been playing it for like 6 years now although we did take time off here and there. Currently waiting patiently for End Of Dragon expansion next year to go back at it again. 

17 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

That's why I'm limiting my LTT forum usage to only twice a day, max

Same here. Twice a day... at work and at home. kappa

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

28 minutes ago, DannyBoii said:

When I log onto my steam account I look at my games and I get stressed because I feel like I'm being forced into playing them, it's not fun any more. New games are all the same to me. Anyway; I feel you, OP. Maybe we just need to move on, I guess!

I definitely had that playing one game for a few hours then close it and went back to leage of legends syndrome. LOL

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

That's why I'm limiting my LTT forum usage to only twice a day, max

It's an endless time sink that gives cheap dopamine kicks

Used to be this way, until I find it was almost the same every time I log into this forum. Dont get me wrong, I learned so much stuff (pc buidling, programming) from this forum, but I just dont want to fantacy building a PC in my head again and again. 

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Same here. Twice a day... at work and at home. kappa

LOL 

8 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Sorry for me ranting. 🙂

Also I dont really enjoy gaming that much must have something to do with all the things that are going on in my real life. I can't and won't have more time to play games on the go, and I am not fully settled into one dedicating job, and sometimes I don't have a set routine, nor do I have a normal work life balance, plus the fact that I have health issues that almost causing me trouble on a daily basis. I do have a short term goal, and I am going for it bit by bit. But it still feels like a long journey sometimes. 

My last status was about a similar topic. But yes, I'm less excited about games and tbh that's okay. However, there is one game I'm always happy to play and it's Age of Empires. Now they just released AoE IV and I'm back at it. That's actually the only I've paid full price for (or less than 50% off lol) in over a decade. Now I've noticed a few things:

• The reason I'm so excited about this game is that I've been playing it on and off for about 20 years. I'm less interested in new games, no matter how popular they are because I don't have the time and patience to learn new game mechanics and I probably would have stopped playing the game if the mechanics had changed too much.
  • I'm less patient and can no longer play for long period. AoE is therefore a good fit because I get to play very intense online matches, but I usually stop after two matches, or one if it lasts too long. So overall I rarely play for more than 1.5 hours.
  • When I do play new games, like Star Wars Fallen Order (which I really loved), I always play in the hardest difficulty mode, but I'm also less patient so when I die too many times in a row, I just stop playing and go take a nap or get to work.

Overall, if it wasn't for AoE, I would usually spend a couple of months or so without playing a game although I have hundreds of titles on Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic. The whole situation sucks because as a child or a teenager, I would beg for my parents to buy me new games and often had to wait until Christmas or my birthday. Today I can afford any game but don't have time or willingness.

The worst thing is when you buy a game 30% off thinking you made a good deal, and by the time you launch it it's actually 80% off. Or when you download a huge game, install it, but never launch it... In two words: adulthood sucks.

21 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

you have 4-5 hours everyday to play video game? thats not bad at all.

No i dont anymore lol, i just used to. I do on the occational weekends when im not busy though.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:11 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Then I quit the game and pick up whatever stuff I needed to do, like cleaning or cooking or something, after doing so I kind of felt relaxed and even had a sense of accomplishment. LOL.

Im probably nearing me thing point.. Even if i dont want to.

I just bought a better cpu and im having the best setup to game on.. Yet the satisfaction is gone, im going more outside my house than gaming inside.. Fun changes.

Ive thought of several times of my life that this hobby is damaging and hurtful towards myself seeing as its more like a weird addiction more than anything.

I hope to never sell the pc, even if i know its un avoidable..

On 11/26/2021 at 8:11 AM, mrchow19910319 said:

Recently I've keep having this feeling where gaming was not what I remembered it was... like the whole 'sitting down in front of your PC and just dive into it' wasn't attractive anymore.

This happens to all of us, the energy and hype cannot be there forever, legends never have it 200% hype for a game.. It dies down too.

Nearly 500 games on steam and "NoTiHnG to PlAy" as they say ahhhh.. Time will tell if i delete myself from the internet or i stick to games.

Winter days are ahead and its much more fun being outside drifting a FWD car in the snow than sit inside playing car games with other people lately..

I wont lie, games arent the same.. But i still get a kick out of them when im doing 320km/h on a multiplayer server BeamMP (BeamNG multiplayer unoffical / Heavy simulation car game, planes too!) and a car sticks its nose out of a corner and theres total wreckage, its hilarious.

Recently got more online friends from the same simulation game, its really fun.. But ive noticed the flame inside my heart isnt the same.

Maybe im turning into another person or will i dont want to, even if i know change is good.

Fuck, i dont want to stop gaming when i just got the final dream rig.

Conflicting feelings are so weird, but you take the choice when you feel your done.

Make it last, because when its over.. Its hard to climb back into this hobby.

I still cant believe i played cyberpunk 2077 with ALL OF THE BUGS when it got realesed on steam for well over 12 DAMN HOURS :old-happy:

Take it slow, thats.. kind of the best advice i can think of, because the days ive "wasted" as more people say is getting darker.

Addiction or not, its gonna take a while to sell this gorgous A-RGB pc of mine, take care of yourself before the pc comes.

This reminds me that i need to wash the house, vacuum and put clothes in the cabinet, gotta fold clothes too haha.

Peace man 💟

edit:

Seeing hours being talked above, if it wasnt for my dog.. Which i love alot, i could probably play straight for 2 days haha.

Sleep is temporary, gaming further in a story game or join some friends in a 4 player game.. is truly fun.. Maybe something inside me is dying, weird feeling.

edit2: @LloydLynx

On 11/27/2021 at 8:55 PM, LloydLynx said:

I think that's why BeamNG is one of my favorites. It always has been and always will be an expectationless escape from the real world. Over the years, other game modes have been added that include challenges and goals, but you need not pay any attention to them and just stick with the free roam mode that always has been there and always will be there. 

Awww yeah BeamNG, i feel the same. I always go back to it since i found it in 2012 and buyed it on Springtree in 2013 ❤️ 😄

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

48 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

I just bought a better cpu and im having the best setup to game on.. Yet the satisfaction is gone,

yeah. It happened to a lot of us. This is just the perfect summary for everything I wanna say..

also there is a sense of commitment to a game that can be lost from your younger stage of life.

but there is also less games to really commit yourself to, from "AAA" like content. some newer games are just farming simulator for exp or some kind of nonsense.

And if you have the option between 200 to 2000 games now, compared to a few back then. Also when you might just hit some gems that you get into for one reason or another.

I would also say, some games you can get "in the moment" of things, like monster hunter world, where I felt it was a bit meh, until I found a group to play for hours with and through some of the annoying grind in it. to other MMO like games that can have some kind of community.

I've noticed that I have some core games that never really get boring, and then have games that I rotate through.

Most of my core games are mobile games, which means a lot are uninstalled because until recently I had an iPhone 6S 16GB (well I still do, but I bought a 7 256GB today), but there's other titles such as Kirby's Epic Yarn!, Minecraft Java, Undertale/Deltarune, etc.

I'm also 15 though so who knows.

elephants