Do you think it is fair for social media companies to ban accounts?

Wictorian
Message added by WkdPaul,

Discussing politics isn't allowed, please keep the rules in mind when posting and interacting with others.

Isn’t it the same with a bank taking your money? Especially if you have millions of followers.

Yes.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Isn’t it the same with a bank taking your money? Especially if you have millions of followers.

100%

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Spoiler

yes

4 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

no, you lost your account for acting bad, banks don't take money if you acted bad

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Isn’t it the same with a bank taking your money? 

Yes

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no, you lost your account for acting bad, banks don't take money if you acted bad

Ditto

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Love how multiple mods are here.

Anyway, your comparison is flawed. If a bank were to ban you, then you'd get the chance to take your money with you; they won't just take the money and throw you out.

Also, money in a bank =/= followers on social media.

Every institution has rules, if you don't abide by them, then you can whine somewhere else.

Yes.  And as for the bank comparison, it's not a good one to use.

A bank is insured.  Social media isn't.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

29 minutes ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

If they really are "followers" then they can follow you to a new platform.

What if all platforms ban you?

1 minute ago, Wictorian said:

Then that's your problem, not theirs.

If it gets to that, then you gotta ask why you're getting banned in the first place.

Spoiler

'You' as in the person getting banned, not you specifically.

7 hours ago, Wictorian said:

Isn’t it the same with a bank taking your money?

No. It's the same as the bank returning your money to you and closing your account because you broke the terms of your contract.

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

Then you'd be banned from all of them... I don't see the issue. If these platforms were required to receive some sort of essential service I could see it being a problem but that's not the case. And if your revenue relies on being on these platforms then maybe you should make an effort not to break their rules. What do you think would happen to me if I broke the terms of my contract with my employer?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Answer to the question - yes. Comparison with the banks - quite stupid. Social media platforms are more like bars or pubs. If you don’t behave, prepare to be kicked out even if you are their best customer. 

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No. It's the same as the bank returning your money to you and closing your account because you broke the terms of your contract.

Then you'd be banned from all of them... I don't see the issue. If these platforms were required to receive some sort of essential service I could see it being a problem but that's not the case. And if your revenue relies on being on these platforms then maybe you should make an effort not to break their rules. What do you think would happen to me if I broke the terms of my contract with my employer?

You can’t just fire any employee with no reason. At least not in ever country.

Social media companies can ban whoever they want with no reason.

33 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

33 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Who said with no reason?

Either way since content creators are not employees of these companies, they absolutely can just ban you for no reason if they want to. If you own a theater it's your right to ban certain performers from it. It may be a dick move in some scenarios but it's not illegal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

35 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

And? I can ban you from my house for no reason. And that's probably the most apt comparison, not a bank, employer or whatever. My house, my rules. If I feel I don't want you in my house, you don't get to be in my house. How would that be unfair?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

38 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Technically they can, but practically that will have repercussions. Which would reflect badly on them and get them a lot of bad rep. Remember the Quest banning spree that Facebook went on? People didn't just accept that. If any entity, be it Facebook or LTT Forums got trigger happy banning people left and right without reason, people will get upset about it just like people would get upset a bank taking their money.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

54 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

They already tell you that they can, and will, delete your account if you break their rules. Some, like Twitter, also explicitly state that it can be for no reason.

Twitter:

Spoiler

Ending These Terms

[.....We may suspend or terminate your account or cease providing you with all or part of the Services at any time for any or no reason, including, but not limited to, if we reasonably believe: (i) you have violated these Terms or the Twitter Rules and Policies or Periscope Community Guidelines, (ii) you create risk or possible legal exposure for us; (iii) your account should be removed due to unlawful conduct, (iv) your account should be removed due to prolonged inactivity; or (v) our provision of the Services to you is no longer commercially viable......]

Facebook:

Spoiler

Account suspension or termination

[......If we determine that you have clearly, seriously or repeatedly breached our Terms or Policies, including in particular our Community Standards, we may suspend or permanently disable access to your account. We may also suspend or disable your account if you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual property rights or where we are required to do so for legal reasons......]

YouTube:

Spoiler

Terminations and Suspensions by YouTube for Cause

[.......YouTube may suspend or terminate your access, your Google account, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service if (a) you materially or repeatedly breach this Agreement; (b) we are required to do so to comply with a legal requirement or a court order; or (c) we believe there has been conduct that creates (or could create) liability or harm to any user, other third party, YouTube or our Affiliates.......]

Instagram:

Spoiler
Content Removal and Disabling or Terminating Your Account

[........We can remove any content or information you share on the Service if we believe that it violates these Terms of Use, our policies (including our Instagram Community Guidelines), or we are permitted or required to do so by law. We can refuse to provide or stop providing all or part of the Service to you (including terminating or disabling your access to the Facebook Products and Facebook Company Products) immediately to protect our community or services, or if you create risk or legal exposure for us, violate these Terms of Use or our policies (including our Instagram Community Guidelines), if you repeatedly infringe other people's intellectual property rights, or where we are permitted or required to do so by law. We can also terminate or change the Service, remove or block content or information shared on our Service, or stop providing all or part of the Service if we determine that doing so is reasonably necessary to avoid or mitigate adverse legal or regulatory impacts on us..........]

50 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

This does not apply to you if you don't work for them.

You making an account on a social media platform is not the same as you getting hired by them.

3 hours ago, Wictorian said:

That just means somehow, in some way you F'ed up big time and it's all on you......

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Wictorian said:

Your account on FB / Twitter has nothing to do with employment.  So this is a stupid analogy.

Also, there's a thing called "At Will Employment" so, they can fire you for any reason they want, barring specific reasons that the Fed has outlawed.  (But, they can still fire you for one of those reasons, as long as the stated reason is not that.  I technically can't fire you for being <Religion>, but I can fire you for being 5 minutes late to work that one day 3 months ago, so you're fired.)

2 hours ago, Wictorian said:

It means you really did something, or a lot of somethings, that were really dumb.

3 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

(v) our provision of the Services to you is no longer commercially viable

I get that they aren't essential needs or services or anything, but blanket statements like should have some justification or regulation attached I feel. Does "commercially viable" have a proper definition? Wouldn't this be akin to LTT forums banning you for never having bought a subscription?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

34 minutes ago, tikker said:

I get that they aren't essential needs or services or anything, but blanket statements like should have some justification or regulation attached I feel. Does "commercially viable" have a proper definition? Wouldn't this be akin to LTT forums banning you for never having bought a subscription?

There was some commotion about something similar but for YouTube.

The rule:

thread-18920156-8283543581157994188.jpg

Their explanation of what that means:

image.png.00afad51ce19481cabd7489a8fe78198.png

My guess is it's something similar to that.

I think my question was kinda dumb, and I have come up with an answer some have already proposed. It is fair for anyone to do anything as long as the public, government and other forces (church for instance) accept it. 

Banning accounts is a dick move, I won’t accept it, but they can do it as long as people accept it. Also this has nothing to do with LTT. Or getting other accounts banned.

1 hour ago, Wictorian said:

I think my question was kinda dumb, and I have come up with an answer some have already proposed. It is fair for anyone to do anything as long as the public, government and other forces (church for instance) accept it. 

Banning accounts is a dick move, I won’t accept it, but they can do it as long as people accept it. Also this has nothing to do with LTT. Or getting other accounts banned.

What is and is not fair game essentially boils down to what we consider normal. That's ethics for you though. There are many examples of things we used to think normal and fair that we look down on now. Generally "my game, my rules" is a fair argument, but once you start offering a public service it's no longer truly your game.