Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger Declares 'AMD's Lead Is Over' After Alder Lake, Sapphire Rapids

Lightwreather

Summary

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger declared that his company is back in an interview with CRN.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger

Quotes

In his own words:

"So this period of time when people could say, 'Hey, [AMD] is leading,' that's over. We are back with a very defined view of what it requires to be leadership in every dimension: leadership product, leadership [chip] packaging, leadership process, leadership software, unquestioned leadership on critical new workloads like AI, graphics, media, power-performance, enabling again the ecosystem. This is what we will be doing with aggressive actions and programs over the next couple of years."

Aggressive might be an understatement. Intel hasn't just talked up the performance of upcoming processors—it's also committed to building custom x86 CPUs via IDM 2.0, pursued leading RISC-V chip designer SiFive, and revealed plans to build massive fabs in Europe and the U.S. as the regions look to improve their supply chains.

"We're not 80-ish percent share because we don't satisfy the customers and satisfy the market and enable the partners as well," Gelsinger said. "And yeah, AMD has done a solid job over the last couple of years. We won't dismiss them of the good work that they've done, but that's over with Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids."

"Intel is back," Gelsinger told CRN. "These are the best products in their category. We have the best supply situation. We have the best quality software assets. The most respected, venerable technology brand in the industry. Yeah, that's what your channel readers need to be delivering to their customers."

My thoughts

The whole interview is linked below incase you're interested (second source), but based on this I'm starting to like Pat a lot more. For one, He mentioned "The competition" by their name (in this case AMD). But apart from that, It does take a lot of confidence to declare that "Intel is back" (but then again, it is sort of part of his job as the CEO). But well, we'll have to wait to see if his claims hold up or not (and for their sakes and for the sake of competition, I hope He's right)

Sources

Tom's Hardware

CRN

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

doubt-intensifies.gif

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

So I guess this is the time when Intel takes back over and we'll have to wait another 8 years for a new or leading CPU from AMD again!

I hope not

(I look down upon you for even thinking so.... /s)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

If Alder Lake can back up his claims I'd be down for a few years of Intel and AMD leapfrogging each other for the performance crown. Intel 3rd-7th gen showed what happens when one of them gets too dominant.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Gelsinger wants the smoke! Let's see what type time he really on come Nov 4th.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Hope the 12th gen is successful and without small bugs that plagues the AMD platform

I'm sick of instability of my x570 platform

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Alder Lake in leaks shows that it is equal or higher than Ryzen 5000, but that is also a pretty old (1yr+) arch. 

When is AMD expected to release their next gen? And do we have any clue which improvements over 5000 to expect?

I could see this being true if AMD has trouble producing chips due to shortages and competition for fab space.

I wonder if this has to do with them getting away from traditional benchmarks, and wanting us to not use benchmarks to compare them to AMD...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just read the source article, since short quotes can put things out of context. My read of it is that he's not saying leadership in the sense of product X will beat product Y in a specific measure. He's looking at leadership from a higher viewpoint. Platform level delivery. Driving the industry forwards. Of course, that does imply good products also, but isn't the sole focus.

If we take what is currently known about Alder Lake, architecturally they should have a good shot at overtaking Zen 3, give or take the inevitably arguments on what should be compared to what. Focusing on P-cores alone, based on the often loved if irrelevant to most people Cinebench, Rocket Lake's IPC is about 6% down on Zen 3. I forget the exact number claimed, but Alder Lake's IPC further increase is claimed to be 18 or 19% on average. That should put it clear past Zen 3, and peak clock should also easily exceed Zen 3, at the cost of efficiency. The balance between performance and efficiency is a choice for the system builder. Yes, Zen 3 has been out for around a year. Yes, Intel is late to reach parity with TSMC 7nm, but that is coming together now. Big cache Zen 3 might help counter in come cases but it isn't likely to make any significant difference to Cinebench like workloads. Zen 4 may or may not recapture the lead, but that is probably quite a way after Alder Lake and we may see some leapfrogging.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Who really cares anyway? They all know X86 is heading the way of southbridges, IDE and ISA which is why they're all scrambling to jump on the ARM/RISC train as fast as possible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I dunno.  I mean he, or Intel at least, has been making this sorta claim for the past few iterations and yet they haven't been able to compete.  I'd prefer if they competed, don't get me wrong, but it does feel like marketing bs.

How do you define compete? In logically comparable cases, they may be a bit behind but not so much so to make the product worthless. Put it another way, performance wise IMO Intel are less behind AMD in the CPU space, than AMD are behind nvidia in the GPU space. Are AMD not competing in GPUs?

On the desktop, which seems to be most important for this forum's audience, Intel has both an updated process that should be competitive against TSMC 7nm on both performance and power, and a significant architecture update. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm genuinely excited about Intel ARC. Not so much about their CPU's.

Intel needs to back up their claims, this is just PR talk to hype up shareholders. But I think the more important news of this is Intel possibly admitting Alder Lake won't be competitive with AMD.

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

but that's kind of up to interpretation.

Looking forward to the "interpretation" on this forum when it releases then? 😄 It will be interesting to see how it performs, if we ever get past the endless argument of what to compare and how. 

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Intel needs to back up their claims, this is just PR talk to hype up shareholders. But I think the more important news of this is Intel possibly admitting Alder Lake won't be competitive with AMD.

It will be very competitive.  Haven't you seen the leaks?

Or are you talking about power consumption?

Gaming performance seems to be under as much NDA as USA's nuclear codes.

It's obvious the techtubers already know but can't say anything until the embargo lifts.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

It will be very competitive.  Haven't you seen the leaks?

Or are you talking about power consumption?

Gaming performance seems to be under as much NDA as USA's nuclear codes.

It's obvious the techtubers already know but can't say anything until the embargo lifts.

Some of the leaks could be true, but its probably more of assumptions based on rumored performance gains. I take leaks with a lot of salt until a product is actually released.

I've seen power consumption "leaks" that still look high compared to AMD, but modern GPU's still consume much more power.

Gaming performance I would be interested in, but games would have to be optimized for Alder Lake. Price is another factor, leaked prices so far of CPU's and boards seems like Alder Lake is going to be a more expensive platform.