General shelf life of unused PC components

Was building my first desktop when the whole graphics card issue surfaced … now that I’m stuck without one, how long can my components last? Considering that I have not remove them from their boxes. 

Also, over at my side, 1650s and 1660s are widely available but I don’t know if they can outperform my laptop with a 2060 super.

My setup consists of a X570 Aorus Elite Wifi and Ryzen 5 5600x

They can last for years.  You have time to wait out the GPU shortage, though you may be a generation behind when all is said and done.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Anything with wet capacitors will fail over a long period of time, though even this depends on the quality of the capacitors.

Some ROM chips will suffer a sort of bit rot over a long, long time. This can lead to things like bios corruption in hardware that’s left alone for too long.

I have a large variety of old hardware, some which has and most which hasn’t suffered any form of failure related to age. Everything from new in box 20 year old power supplies to motherboards that weren’t turned off from 1991 to 2019, gpus from basically every year since the mid 80’s, etc

3BC553A0-C76C-454D-AB5A-B1CC22A2C21E.thumb.jpeg.6006c8176fa551e30692a5ea7f458ac8.jpeg

Hardware can last a LONG time provided it’s stored respectably.

25 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

There is no shelf life for components. They are not perishable like fresh food. 😆

Ignore this as it isn't true. Capacitors have a shelf life and contain chemicals that eventually break down their casings and leak.

Almost all modern computer components should last 10+ years in storage. Most of the wear and tear on pc hardware is from power/thermal cycling

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

@Wu Jie they will last a long time BUT I would suggest getting some sort of display adapter and build the machine so that you can test that every part is working while you are still in the warranty period. It would really suck to be outside the warranty and find out that you have a dead motherboard or ram. 

i mean if their in the boxes why dont you return them?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

9 minutes ago, adarw said:

i mean if their in the boxes why dont you return them?

Perfectly valid point. Though electronics can usually sit for a decade or two before needing serviced, and that's usually involves capacitors and batteries, the state of the art may have moved on enough so that your build is equivalent to a launch edition Nintendo NX. It may be better to free the cash, then order all your parts when you can actually get everything.

...though if the OP is mostly just waiting on a successful hit auction, or similar, it makes sense to hang onto everything.

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

@Wu Jie they will last a long time BUT I would suggest getting some sort of display adapter and build the machine so that you can test that every part is working while you are still in the warranty period. It would really suck to be outside the warranty and find out that you have a dead motherboard or ram. 

Any suggestions? I’m quite new to these so it would be awesome if you have any in mind

10 hours ago, Rusty Proto said:

Perfectly valid point. Though electronics can usually sit for a decade or two before needing serviced, and that's usually involves capacitors and batteries, the state of the art may have moved on enough so that your build is equivalent to a launch edition Nintendo NX. It may be better to free the cash, then order all your parts when you can actually get everything.

...though if the OP is mostly just waiting on a successful hit auction, or similar, it makes sense to hang onto everything.

Well yes I have thought of returning them but it would be quite a hassle as most of my components come from overseas

1 hour ago, Wu Jie said:

Any suggestions? I’m quite new to these so it would be awesome if you have any in mind

You may have to just choose another graphics card until you can get the one you want, even if it isn't but a 1080p card.. Is that all you're waiting on?

12 minutes ago, Rusty Proto said:

You may have to just choose another graphics card until you can get the one you want, even if it isn't but a 1080p card.. Is that all you're waiting on?

Yes indeed, the card is all I'm waiting on. I've got a few choices in my local market such as the 1650 and 1660

11 minutes ago, Wu Jie said:

Yes indeed, the card is all I'm waiting on. I've got a few choices in my local market such as the 1650 and 1660

I'd say pick one up and build as soon as you can, then you can go back and get the card you are wanting once it becomes readily available. There are a LOT of people doing that with our current graphics card shortage.

2 hours ago, Wu Jie said:

Where are you located? That will help narrow down what is available locally.

Technically forever. With the use of solid state caps, and with no power flowing through anything, nothing can break (if it's not too hot, humid, or dry in the storage area). However with older stuff, caps and batteries can leak and render things unoperational. 

On 8/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, Wu Jie said:

Also, over at my side, 1650s and 1660s are widely available but I don’t know if they can outperform my laptop with a 2060 super.

My desktop GTX 1660 outperforms the RTX 2070 Super laptop of my brother...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 8/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, Wu Jie said:

Was building my first desktop when the whole graphics card issue surfaced … now that I’m stuck without one, how long can my components last? Considering that I have not remove them from their boxes. 

cmos and laptop batteries tend not to last that long, switches and USB slots also can die and need replacing, but we are talking years

31 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Your "new" hardware becomes obsolete before it becomes dead.

actually that isn't always true. Sometimes peripherals will only work with an OS of that PC's generation. For instance a printer only fit for my DOS based 386, printer that only works in Win95/98ME so that's the Pentium era as well as a MS slider controller, a vibrating joystick and scanner. Same with certain components, be it hardware or software, if you want to play/use them you have to use the older PC.

I wonder how many items Win11 might break?

its not like computer hardware is milk and it'll go bad if you leave it too long. Just store your stuff in a room temp area and avoid large swings in temps, (although even from 50f to 100f isn't much a swing for stuff that is just sitting on a shelf not in use).

On 8/30/2021 at 2:28 PM, Wu Jie said:

Realistically, if left in good storage conditions? Years. Literal years. Decades even for most of the components.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

capacitors will generally fail over years , and if there's any battery for cmos etc that will fail and damage the mainboard. also CDs and tape disks have a finite life as they will eventually degrade

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

The only things you have to be concerns moving parts as the lubricants for them breakdown and capacitors.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:59 PM, emosun said:

Capacitors have a shelf life and contain chemicals that eventually break down their casings and leak.

Don't solid Caps last longer? its been awhile since I remember.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

capacitors will generally fail over years ,

True - how quickly will depend on a ton of factors, including their original quality. It also depends on the specific type of Capacitor as well, as some fare worse than others.

and if there's any battery for cmos etc that will fail and damage the mainboard.

What are you talking about here? A CMOS battery, in almost every case, is a standard CR2032 coin battery. If these fail, you just replace them. A failed CMOS battery will not damage the motherboard (mainboard) unless something else is going on.

also CDs and tape disks have a finite life as they will eventually degrade

This is definitely true - but it varies wildly, and in most cases will be outside of the scope of the OP's timeframe waiting for a new GPU.

You can also purchase CD's, DVD's, Blu-Rays and Tapes that are rated for specific timeframes (example: archival grade CD's that will last around 100+ years).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)