General shelf life of unused PC components

20 hours ago, James Evens said:

GPUs are like a fine wine (at the moment). The older they get the higher valued they are.

well the gpu has to have something good about it meaning its good at something there for some guy like me might want to buy to build the  ultimate windows xp pc for example.

some pc parts dont really move in price like the stupid 6600k.... but the best cpu and gpu and mb and ram for that socket or os will always hold its value and even go up... everything has gone up to inflation so its hard to tell what stuff should be worth.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 8/31/2021 at 2:17 PM, dalekphalm said:

What are you talking about here? A CMOS battery, in almost every case, is a standard CR2032 coin battery. If these fail, you just replace them. A failed CMOS battery will not damage the motherboard (mainboard) unless something else is going on.

was referring to the old school ones that were NiCd and NiMH from the 90s etc. are you guys here really too young to have had a pc with one of them ? lol 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

dont modren mb use better leak less caps? cause i haven't seen caps on mbs in a long time. ya there might still be caps on gpus and psu but still i think the bulging caps is a thing of the past?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 8/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, 8tg said:

Anything with wet capacitors will fail over a long period of time, though even this depends on the quality of the capacitors.

Some ROM chips will suffer a sort of bit rot over a long, long time. This can lead to things like bios corruption in hardware that’s left alone for too long.

I have a large variety of old hardware, some which has and most which hasn’t suffered any form of failure related to age. Everything from new in box 20 year old power supplies to motherboards that weren’t turned off from 1991 to 2019, gpus from basically every year since the mid 80’s, etc

3BC553A0-C76C-454D-AB5A-B1CC22A2C21E.thumb.jpeg.6006c8176fa551e30692a5ea7f458ac8.jpeg

Hardware can last a LONG time provided it’s stored respectably.

Reminds me of an old HP laptop i have from my dad since the 2000's, the charger makes some weird buzzing noise after 20 odd years but the damn laptop still works.

Will try to find the partnummer/serial and hopefully find out what model it is, but somehow older laptops just never die.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

10 hours ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

was referring to the old school ones that were NiCd and NiMH from the 90s etc. are you guys here really too young to have had a pc with one of them ? lol 

Even if it was NiMH or NiCd, the battery dying shouldn't take the board with you. Unless you're talking about really old stuff - early 90's or older.

Because even back in the 90's (granted it's been a long time since I worked on a system that old) the CMOS batteries were likely still some kind of coin battery - I can't seem to find out when exactly the CR2032 came into modern use.

Either way, we're not talking about technology from the 80's here. If you make a general statement like "Dead CMOS batteries will kill the system", you had best clarify what you really meant was "Dead CMOS batteries in the 70s or 80s would kill the system", because that hasn't been the case for like 25+ years.

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

dont modren mb use better leak less caps? cause i haven't seen caps on mbs in a long time. ya there might still be caps on gpus and psu but still i think the bulging caps is a thing of the past?

There are definitely still caps on Motherboards these days - though there might be less of them. There's also a lot of different formfactors for caps - so something like a Laptop systemboard might not be using large "normal looking" caps due to space constraints.

But a standard desktop motherboard should definitely still have a few "typical looking" caps here and there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/1/2021 at 2:59 AM, Vishera said:

My desktop GTX 1660 outperforms the RTX 2070 Super laptop of my brother...

oh wow 

On 8/31/2021 at 8:04 PM, Rusty Proto said:

I'd say pick one up and build as soon as you can, then you can go back and get the card you are wanting once it becomes readily available. There are a LOT of people doing that with our current graphics card shortage.

alright then I'll make do with a 1660 for now ... 

On 8/31/2021 at 9:17 PM, Blue4130 said:

Where are you located? That will help narrow down what is available locally.

That would be Singapore, my friend. I don't know if it's me but cards are tougher to get around here.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:41 AM, dalekphalm said:

Realistically, if left in good storage conditions? Years. Literal years. Decades even for most of the components.

That's assuring 

I'm still seeing the odd new-old stock IBM XT appearing for sale (or unboxed on Youtube), so humidity+temperature depending - several decades.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm still seeing the odd new-old stock IBM XT appearing for sale (or unboxed on Youtube), so humidity+temperature depending - several decades.

Often computers such as this will cuntinue to work, though they will tend to need a recap before long, though the same can be said about 1940's era radios and wire recorders. This Does Not Compute is also a good channel to watch regarding older computing gear.