Did you think the chip shortages were getting better? Think again. Intel confirms WCCF rumour that the entire industry is running out of substrates.

Master Disaster
2 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Again though thats going to be eaten up pretty hard by the difference in scale. AMD, or rather TSMC doesn't have the production capacity to take away the majority of Intel's customer base. Intel's scale lead in terms of compute node fab capacity is just huge. they could be running at significantly reduced capacity and still have a bigger market share than AMD on that basis alone.

Even if it is true (about TSMC having their own suppliers) I find it hard to believe they'll escape totally unharmed. You have to imagine whoever is supplying TSMC will look to pick up some of the slack for everyone else.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Even if it is true (about TSMC having their own suppliers) I find it hard to believe they'll escape totally unharmed. You have to imagine whoever is supplying TSMC will look to pick up some of the slack for everyone else.

Yes and no, TSMC likely has large long-term contracts in place, said supplier will only be able to take advantage if they can fulfil all of TSMC's orders first.

Computing hardware is going up, way up in price over the next 10 years beyond the rate of inflation. With near a TRILLION USD being spent on new fabrication, that investment has to get paid off, with interest. Well, the funds to do so won't come out of thin air.

Big Silicon is the new "Big Oil". A commodity where CPU cycles are just as fungible as the hydrocarbon in terms of BTUs sought after.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting this as an investment opportunity. But what I am saying is that if you plan on building a new PC or buying a new iPhone, It's probably best you make that decision within the next year or so. That, and this news doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.

5 minutes ago, StDragon said:

That, and this news doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.

Its The Sun, calling them a rag outlet is being disrespectful to actual rags.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Its The Sun, calling them a rag outlet is being disrespectful to actual rags.

It's not the first time such threats were reported on. As for The Sun, I'm not sure if that's fake news or not. There are some choice quotes in that article that's disturbing to say the very least.

Regardless, my point still stands. I don't see prices dropping over the long haul; quite the opposite. And if WW3 breaks out, frankly there will be much bigger issues that go beyond the scope of this topic. But, the likely hood is a factor in the overall risk of pricing hardware; just to be clear on that fact.

6 hours ago, porina said:

Out of interest, are you seeing constraint in server supplies?

My employer has had huge issues in getting hardware in a timely fashion from Dell as we build out.  Stuff is late or they can only get us 5 units at a time, ect.  We got the money but they lack the supply as our data center expands.  Been an issue since late 2020.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 hours ago, Murasaki said:

So am i supposed to panic buy my future ryzen cpu now?

If new hardware takes long enough to get, every PC gamer becomes a retro PC Gamer!  Never too late to run a nice source port of Doom (1993) or Quake (1996), they'll run great on anything!

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

3 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Yes and no, TSMC likely has large long-term contracts in place, said supplier will only be able to take advantage if they can fulfil all of TSMC's orders first.

That is the reason why such small issues will have a big effect on consumer pricing just like it did with the RAM-crisis of the past.

If 90% of production is already prebooked in hard contract (which I'm sure is the case for server CPUs, but also some consumer ones) and you have a 10% downturn nothing is left for the open market, hence prices skyrocket without demand moving at all  or even declining.

So the Wafer-fab has a contract with TSMC for most of their production capacity. TSMC has contracts with Apple and other for most of their production capacity.

Add just a bit of "free" substrate going elsewhere and you hamper TSMC's ability to produce more "free" silicon which will then be sought after by costumer who couldn't get an Intel chip.

Welp, I'm never getting that new GPU. I'm converting to mobile gaming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

My employer has had huge issues in getting hardware in a timely fashion from Dell as we build out.  Stuff is late or they can only get us 5 units at a time, ect.  We got the money but they lack the supply as our data center expands.  Been an issue since late 2020.

I've noticed that too when pricing out Dell PowerEdge units too. So far our quotes are good for 30 days, but that might change if not already.

In the construction industry, builders were eating it hard when bidding for contracts only to have costs in lumber supplies run away from them to the point of being underwater. Last I heard, they factor in the price being "market rate" which means the buyer won't know the final price until after completion; if that's the terms they agreed too during negotiations. Ouch!

7 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Yeah well keep in mind intel will say anything to deflect the blame for their terrible earnings. Mountain of salt required.

• Second-quarter GAAP revenue of $19.6 billion, flat year over year (YoY), and non-GAAP revenue of $18.5 billion, up 2% YoY, which exceeded April guidance by $700 million.
  • Second-quarter GAAP earnings-per-share (EPS) was $1.24; non-GAAP EPS was $1.28, which exceeded April guidance by $0.23.
  • Exceeded Q2 guidance for revenue, EPS, and gross margin; record Q2 revenue in PC and Mobileye businesses.
  • Raising full-year 2021 guidance. Now expecting GAAP revenue of $77.6 billion and non-GAAP revenue of $73.5 billion; GAAP EPS of $4.09 and non-GAAP EPS of $4.80.

https://www.intc.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1485/intel-reports-second-quarter-2021-financial-results

Intel are doing just fine.

11 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

I think you answered your own question. Server stuff has a better margin and they are more likely to accept a price hike, so it makes sense to prioritize these customers.

If you lose the business of a few individual consumers, who cares, they'll come back eventually. If you lose business customers who order a large amount of hardware each year, it's a different story.

not to mention infrastructure is usually a bit more important than ppl playing video games lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

not to mention infrastructure is usually a bit more important than ppl playing video games lol

You think office terminals run on Xeons?

4 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Again though thats going to be eaten up pretty hard by the difference in scale. AMD, or rather TSMC doesn't have the production capacity to take away the majority of Intel's customer base. Intel's scale lead in terms of compute node fab capacity is just huge. they could be running at significantly reduced capacity and still have a bigger market share than AMD on that basis alone.

they can't take away the majority but even another 10% of intels customers moving to AMD would help AMD grow a lot and would allow AMD to push TSMC to reduce bottlenecks further on the nodes apple leaves

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

they can't really, substrait is the kind of thing you QC and test for at least a year before you bring on a new supplier. its why it back in 2020 it was expected that new substrait suppliers would take until Q2 2022

2 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

interesting, We've had 0 issues but we often have pre release stuff or massive contracts for systems

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Intel server customers are likely to buy Intel replacements no matter how much it costs them, Joe Consumer is gonna shrug, say Fuck It and buy an AMD instead. AMD is going to retake the consumer CPU crown and IMO its unlikely Intel will be in a position to retake it any time soon.

Partly true. I work for a company that makes servers, mainframes, storage and the like. We are more the customers of Intel than our customers are. I am sure most of our customers are not too bothered which brand the CPU is, as long as it performs and is compatible with their code.

As the manufacturer, it becomes harder to switch CPU brands in our kit. So many things come into play that switching becomes both complex and expensive. Even simple things like getting suppliers approved is challenging. It leads to going the easy route and to some extent stifles innovation.

17 hours ago, Freakwise said:

Silicon getting better and now we have this, what's next?, Pcb shortage?

don't you dare jinx us.

memes aside, i'm worried it could happen but i'm not going to pass judgement until numbers are revealed.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

With regard to GPU, I don't buy the so-called "GPU shortage" bullshit. If you take a look at NVIDIA's own report, they earned much more than last year. RTX 30 series has a lower price than its predecessor, and they still earn so much more, which means they produce much more GPUs. How come there is a "GPU-shortage" when the supply is much higher than last year? The only reason is the demand grows at a faster rate, but everyone knows this growth is not normal and will decline at some point.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for First Quarter Fiscal 2022

On 7/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, Master Disaster said:

the entire industry is facing a shortage as demand hugely outstrips supply.

Damn miners <shake fist at the sky>

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

15 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Interesting reading this and other comments. I wonder if it is due in part to what exactly the product is, since we are often generalising when saying "server". Maybe some specific areas are more in constraint than others.

15 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

If new hardware takes long enough to get, every PC gamer becomes a retro PC Gamer!  Never too late to run a nice source port of Doom (1993) or Quake (1996), they'll run great on anything!

Fortunately I think on the CPU side it matters much less for gamers. Let's be realistic, for a great gaming system (not necessarily top end) pretty much any 6-core CPU since Coffee Lake or Zen 2 would perform great, and you could push it a bit older on both sides if you contain expectations.

GPUs remain a problem for now but it does seem to be getting better with more GPUs appearing more often at less inflated pricing. I do wonder if DLSS/FSR would help take some pressure off the mid range PC gamer going forwards, say around x60 to x70 level. Where you still want a great experience, but are not expecting the absolute best quality.

1 hour ago, Sampsy said:

Their data centre revenue fell by 9% while the cloud computing industry is still quickly growing. They had an awful quarter.

While I'm sure they would like to do better, it is perhaps more useful to not over focus on one selective number and look at the wider picture. In a quick look 9% drop is the YoY change for their Data Center Group. Broken down, this is a 20% drop in cloud, 6% drop in comms, 6% increase in enterprise. Question then is, what is happening in cloud? Are people buying more AMD? I'm sure AMD are selling everything they can make, but is that the whole story? How many are moving to ARM servers? Or maybe it is a case of Intel transitioning to Ice Lake, so the tail end of the previous generation might not be the most desirable. Also as they are YoY results, was the previous year's comparison point unusual in any way? A longer term trend might be more insightful in taking out unexpected transitions, especially given the worldwide events of the last year and half or thereabouts. I don't have the answer to any of that, but they are things to consider.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It is weird to talk about WCCF in the OP so much, there were other sites posting the same information, perhaps later, but I don't like their flexing.

This means supply is not going to grow for now, but the big question is at where does the demand stand. The lower end GPUs can help that part of the market too using less substrate/happy user.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:24 AM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

That is what we were having with as well. The client I’m at right now is still using stuff the bought 6 years ago.

I am just glad I have what I have, it is not the best, but a lot faster than the majority.