BOINC Pentathlon 2021

Going in to work to spin up three 2x 6242R servers and maybe some more 2x 2690v3 servers if I can get networking to them, or just temp plugin and pull some jobs down then physically bunker with no network at all.

Will be off forum for quite a few hours.

No shortage of units for my GPU's.

Screenshot_29.png.7ee65065a5091c017e95ee90e0b7c0e8.png

Screenshot_30.thumb.png.f87c6855246b06dd355c8c15b1367c2a.png

Current Build

Well that was annoying, installed Windows as that's what the OS is supposed to actually run on those servers, BOINC only used 1 NUMA/socket, trashed Windows and put Linux on. Bloody Windows.

Wow, most of my credits on primegrid are pending 1,557,198.43, guess the servers are a little backed up right now 😁

I'm at work today so won't be around much, I will be around for a couple of hours. I'm pushing city run and marathon rn so it shouldn't really matter that I'm not around. Keep up the good work guys

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Right I'm off to work, guys keep pushing on primegrid, we are actually seeming to be doing quite well. If you have anymore GPUs to throw at it please do, give it all shes got!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well that was annoying, installed Windows as that's what the OS is supposed to actually run on those servers, BOINC only used 1 NUMA/socket, trashed Windows and put Linux on. Bloody Windows.

What version of Windows? It's all about licensing when it comes to M$. I had BOINC running fine on 2 NUMA/sockets when my primary server was running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition.

I don't know about Home but Pro supports up to 2 NUMA nodes (dual socket). Any more and I think Enteprise might support 4 or more then the datacenter versions.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

What version of Windows? It's all about licensing when it comes to M$. I had BOINC running fine on 2 NUMA/sockets when my primary server was running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition.

I don't know about Home but Pro supports up to 2 NUMA nodes (dual socket). Any more and I think Enteprise might support 4 or more then the datacenter versions.

This is only a problem for systems with more than 64 threads, when you go above 64 Windows creates processor groups and BOINC only assigned tasks to the first group. BOINC detects all the threads and the existence of the processor groups just fine, it's just stupid and only uses the first one.

The pain of having 80 threads lol

Two groups of 40 threads FYI

I know it can work as the top system on SiDock is Windows but that's a different project and well tbh I couldn't be assed trying to fix it when a Linux server OS install is 10 mins max.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This is only a problem for systems with more than 64 threads, when you go above 64 Windows creates processor groups and BOINC only assigned tasks to the first group. BOINC detects all the threads and the existence of the processor groups just fine, it's just stupid and only uses the first one.

The pain of having 80 threads lol

Two groups of 40 threads FYI

Oh, woe is me. My highest core count systems only have 64 threads. 😆

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I know it can work as the top system on SiDock is Windows but that's a different project and well tbh I couldn't be assed trying to fix it when a Linux server OS install is 10 mins max.

What irks me when people say they're too busy to install Linux.

Installing everything for BOINC is quite literally a <2min process... 

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What irks me when people say they're too busy to install Linux.

Installing everything for BOINC is quite literally a <2min process... 

Most of the 10 mins is the HPE server boot time and loading the Ubuntu server installer lol

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Most of the 10 mins is the HPE server boot time and loading the Ubuntu server installer lol

I can see that. Try using a Supermicro board and throwing about 3 HBA's and a couple 10Gig NIC's in there.

BIOS is like "Yeah I need to initialize these one at a time and show you a splash screen for each."

Just getting the POST beep takes a solid 1~2 mins. Always gives me cold sweats as to weather or not I broke something.

Surprise night out with the new girlfriend so I won't be around until later. 

Really nice of her actually, just told me that she'll meet me after work and she's treating me to dinner

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Looks like we're doing fairly well! Top 5 in Javelin and City Run isn't half bad.

I found out today that the box I've been using for my 2060 is massively under-utilizing it (to the tune of ~40-50% depending on the task), so I'm going to get it swapped over to the 3900x machine when I swap the new motherboard in tonight.

The current Javelin throw ends in an hour, right? Would it be more prudent for me to swap my machines over to SiDock, or start bunkering WCG for the next one?

1 minute ago, Baha said:

Looks like we're doing fairly well! Top 5 in Javelin and City Run isn't half bad.

I found out today that the box I've been using for my 2060 is massively under-utilizing it (to the tune of ~40-50% depending on the task), so I'm going to get it swapped over to the 3900x machine when I swap the new motherboard in tonight.

The current Javelin throw ends in an hour, right? Would it be more prudent for me to swap my machines over to SiDock, or start bunkering WCG for the next one?

I'm not sure, 

@leadeateris handling the WCG stuff, but we are doing okay in jav how we are right now, as we are with others. So yeah, will leave it to Leadeater to device on that one

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

35 minutes ago, Baha said:

If you can bunker WCG that is also fine, basically we just need to match what we did today 2 more time and the faster that happens the sooner we can stop WCG and move to something else. It all averages out anyway but it's always good and safe to make sure we can actually match what we have 2 more times, I'd hate to fall short and have to do the 5th throw.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you can bunker WCG that is also fine, basically we just need to match what we did today 2 more time and the faster that happens the sooner we can stop WCG and move to something else. It all averages out anyway but it's always good and safe to make sure we can actually match what we have 2 more times, I'd hate to fall short and have to do the 5th throw.

Makes sense! I'll get on it, then.

Right after releasing my WCG WU's I started bunkering again. Should have quite a few more to release for the next throw. Should also help if anybody slacks off this go around.

Well gave in and created a script to turn off and on network so it'll be a hell of a lot quicker. Baby steps to actually scripting all this :old-smile:

Minimum viable product, least effort lol

I was looking at my prime grid stats page and i noticed that a got over 100 tasks (and rising)  in "Completed, waiting for validation" for some time, most of them are from the 7th of may. Is this normal , anyone else noticed this ?

47 minutes ago, Scarfy said:

I was looking at my prime grid stats page and i noticed that a got over 100 tasks (and rising)  in "Completed, waiting for validation" for some time, most of them are from the 7th of may. Is this normal , anyone else noticed this ?

Same, I'm up to 176 pending and 3,091,658.62 pending credits.

Sieve tasks make up the vast majority of my pending tasks, so I have removed them.

44 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

Same, I'm up to 176 pending and 3,091,658.62 pending credits.

Sieve tasks make up the vast majority of my pending tasks, so I have removed them.

125 tasks all Sieve, hmm guess i'll also remove them , thx