BOINC Pentathlon 2021

luckily all mine was marathon and city run

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

40 minutes ago, Baha said:

.... followed immediately by reading @leadeater's post and un-bombs-away. Let me know when I'm good to unbunker! Looks like only a couple dozen or so tasks got uploaded before I caught it.

39 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I still have MIP jobs in my queue I'll keep crunching them till I get the signal to bail.

Will let you know in 10 mins after the first hour points update, also if for some reason I don't post and it looks to you guys that's it's fairly good I trust you can do the math and release if you think you should.

Oh, well would you look at that I got a badge. :3

badge_vitamin-d.png.d441066d7666382343828f4be55a6e35.png

Nice.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I trust you can do the math and release if you think you should.

😅...

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just finished moving everything but my home systems to MIP, OMFG that took forever (31 systems total, I think, lost count 🤷‍♂️)

Gotta up your remote access and script game. You're doing it the hard way if it's time consuming.

Just now, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge @Baha

Looks good to release, currently at 1.18m so not bad at all.

You got it, releasing the javelins!

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Gotta up your remote access and script game. You're doing it the hard way if it's time consuming.

Yep, it's all about that lazy seesaw. Effort to create scripts vs just do it manually. There's a tipping point, well past it now though hahah but a little late. Far too tired atm so will look at it later.

Currently 6th in City Run (PrimeGrid), excellent effort everyone 👍

I'll shutdown my PC now and enable my 2nd GPU and get that going myself, only two 290X's though but it's something.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Currently 6th in City Run (PrimeGrid), excellent effort everyone 👍

I'll shutdown my PC now and enable my 2nd GPU and get that going myself, only two 290X's though but it's something.

Turn around with my 3080 on Prime is very fast. Only takes around 3 minutes per unit.

Current Build

Aaaaand Javelins are thrown. As are the City Run tasks! Hopefully that'll help take us from 6th to 5th on the next point update - I had a couple days' worth of stockpiled tasks for a 3080, 2060KO, and 970, so fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, LazyDev said:

Turn around with my 3080 on Prime is very fast. Only takes around 3 minutes per unit.

Same - really problematic for trying to bunker tasks, because it's seemingly impossible to convince PrimeGrid to keep feeding you tasks that quickly when you aren't uploading anything.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, it's all about that lazy seesaw. Effort to create scripts vs just do it manually.

My relationship with programming in a nutshell.

You can at least manage most of the machines from the same GUI for the rigs on the same VLAN. You're looking for the remote_hosts.cfg file. This is found in /var/lib/boinc/ on Debian. Not sure what folder structure RHEL uses. Put in the static IP of one of the other systems and you can make all of them do whatever you need from that one desktop. Just point the manager to the nodes static IP and you're off.

6 minutes ago, Baha said:

Same - really problematic for trying to bunker tasks, because it's seemingly impossible to convince PrimeGrid to keep feeding you tasks that quickly when you aren't uploading anything.

No problems getting tasks for me

Screenshot_27.thumb.png.02e8b13a38f21725501b5af24ed24461.png

Current Build

1 minute ago, LazyDev said:

No problems getting tasks for me

Screenshot_27.thumb.png.02e8b13a38f21725501b5af24ed24461.png

Yeah, fair - were you trying to bunker/hold back tasks at all prior to the start of the City Run phase? I've found that I have no trouble getting work as long as I'm uploading routinely, but as soon as I kill the uploads it stops giving me new tasks to work on.

Just now, Baha said:

Yeah, fair - were you trying to bunker/hold back tasks at all prior to the start of the City Run phase? I've found that I have no trouble getting work as long as I'm uploading routinely, but as soon as I kill the uploads it stops giving me new tasks to work on.

I only just singed up. Probably the quick turn around.

Current Build

17 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You can at least manage most of the machines from the same GUI for the rigs on the same VLAN

I am, it's just that I had to suspend all the SiDock tasks other than the ones about to complete, click No New Tasks on SiDock Project, add WCG.

Repeat 31 times, fml.

Edit:

Note I should be using multiple instances and doing one project per instance, but meh effort again lol

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I am, it's just that I had to suspend all the SiDock tasks other than the ones about to complete, click No New Tasks on SiDock Project, add WCG.

Repeat 31 times, fml.

I know you have some servers and rigs on other networks and VLANs so that complicates things. It's better than KVMing every individual server though ay?

Still, your sacrifice of time for the team is appreciated. Thank you.

radar-mash-salute.jpg.7c3ab60156e16978adc4b4f14c1c6eff.jpg

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I know you have some servers and rigs on other networks and VLANs so that complicates things. It's better than KVMing every individual server though ay?

This year I planned ahead and ran BOINC on port 3389 on the systems in more secure subnets, BOINC is RDP right.... 🤣

This year I planned ahead and ran BOINC on port 3389 on the systems in more secure subnets, BOINC is RDP right.... 🤣

...you crafty bastard 😆...

Better hope nobody needs to RDP into those for a while else they'll be hitting there head against a wall diagnosing a non-existent connection error.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

...you crafty bastard 😆...

Better hope nobody needs to RDP into those for a while else they'll be hitting there head against a wall diagnosing a non-existent connection error.

Yep, RDP to linux servers, good luck with that 😉

Can't speak to other distros, but Ubuntu's non-minimal installers come configured out of the box with RDP support :old-smile:

I have attempted this for ones with a GUI installed NGL. Have not figured it out on Debian yet. For some reason the built in tools aren't clear on how they work but they seem to function based on or similar to VNC.

2 minutes ago, Baha said:

Can't speak to other distros, but Ubuntu's non-minimal installers come configured out of the box with RDP support :old-smile:

Yea RDP on Linux with GUI is actually really great, better than VNC. I only run minimal server installs though.