You Don't Need a Graphics Card! - Cloud Gaming Services Roundup

James

Buy NVIDIA SHIELD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DpK9m
Buy Intel Core i9-10850K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/TNe4Z8q
Buy Asus ROG Maximus Hero XIII Motherboard (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/O6Z7P
Buy Asus ROG Thor 1200w 80+ Platinum PSU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/cIx4J4
Buy Phanteks p500a Digital Case (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0nwMr

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

We're back with a hands-on review of the most widely available cloud gaming services to help get you through the great GPU shortage of 2021

Was Paperspace considered? I would have liked to see that included. I use it for both gaming and CAD work, and it works very well. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I thought that this were going to be a look into APUs. Cloud gaming is though another method of going around the issue of GPU shortages to be fair, but APUs have their own advantages.

14 minutes ago, James said:

~~SNIP~~

Kinda get the impression your missing a crucial thing about those who would buy a ..well u mentioned a 3070 so we'll say a 3070.

If ur aiming for that kind of performance ....or higher, you CARE about your gaming experience, you care about Fidelity, you care about latency, and the smoothness of your games.

That means generally speaking you can assume those same people wont like the idea of sacrificing said fidelity and latency ..to play using a cloud service. it also ofc requires a internet connection, which not everyone will be fortunate enough to have 1) a stable service, 2) a cost effective one without limits.

The irony here, in regards to your video. Is that you mention the fact ur going to loose some fidelity, then say you get Nvidia exclusive goodies like Ray tracing and hair works etc ......sure ..ok ..yes it may look nice ..but ur still loosing some of that fidelity due to the stream compression. Kinda works against itself dont you think.

Your also limited on FPS.

I also kinda laughed when u mentioned the size of the TV ur using.. and said on a 48" it would be better. i think i know what TV ur referring to and im sure anyone buying that TV wouldn't be liking the idea of using Cloud streaming over a dedicated GPU.

Basically what im getting at here is.... The Cloud Streaming services for gaming on PC really is only reasonable for those in a very specific budget/performance point in PC gaming.

If they are used to running XX50 cards (or older hardware of similar performance) or lower...probably isnt worth it money wise. Why spend $120 a year on a streaming service when u usually only spend $200 on a GPU that usually lasts u 3 years.

If they are used to using XX70 or higher cards ..it isnt worth it performance wise. Why spend $120 a year for lower performance (1080p 60 ..really ?), somewhat limit functionality, lower fidelity etc, when ur used to buying high end hardware and in 'normal' times have the money to do it.

I dont want to use the word 'niche' ..because it isnt THAT limited, but it isnt exactly broad ether.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

cloud service

mega-SKIP!

Just what I need, another "always online and available" (until it isn't) "service" that can go "poof!" when the company decides it's no longer profitable.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have a freezing 1700.. I do need one!

edit: @SolarNova (Quoting you here so your notified, as im editing my own reply to not double post.)

7 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Kinda get the impression your missing a crucial thing about those who would buy a ..well u mentioned a 3070 so we'll say a 3070.

If ur aiming for that kind of performance ....or higher, you CARE about your gaming experience, you care about Fidelity, you care about latency, and the smoothness of your games.

That means generally speaking you can assume those same people wont like the idea of sacrificing said fidelity and latency ..to play using a cloud service. it also ofc requires a internet connection, which not everyone will be fortunate enough to have 1) a stable service, 2) a cost effective one without limits.

Knowing i have a 2080super and i cant use the RTX on cyberpunk or else the performance dips below 30fps half the time.. Oh man you speaking facts!

All tho, i do have (usually) a stable 150/150 internet connection, as soon as someone touches netflix or steam going at10mb/s.. oh boy its spiky time.

Spent 800$/750€ on a cheaper 2080S and i wouldnt be suprised if im gonna change it to a 3080/3090 just to get so much better performance..

Considering going for a 3090 as th 3080's is basicly non-existing in norway..

Edited by MultiGamerClub
Added a quote so i dont double post ;)

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Just use an APU...wait even those are horrifically overpriced right now...

Pre-built with an APU? but then you have to deal with likely shit RAM

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Well, Xcloud is now getting an insider preview beta starting tomorrow for select Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers. I'm curious to see how this preview program turns out.

Source

But what is the experience like if you dont have 10 gigabit internet and arent tied directly in to the internet backbone? What about data caps? You guys also kind of glanced over the fact that some game publishers are adding things to their TOS saying that their games can not be played on services like GForce now or be played remotely with programs like Teamviewer limiting the game availability.

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Just use an APU...wait even those are horrifically overpriced right now...

Pre-built with an APU? but then you have to deal with likely shit RAM

Holy crap I thought you were joking but, all the APU's are just gone.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Cloud gaming is perfectly fine. I remotely gamed quite a lot via Parsec, and also completed Bloodborne by having a friend stream it to me from his PS4. 

I even tried Geforce Now sometime ago, but I was like the 300th in the queue and I eventually got bored of waiting and uninstalled it. xD 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

"You Don't Need a Graphics Card!" ought to be changed to "You Don't Technically Need a Graphics Card!" or something.  The mediocre experience Linus showcased doesn't warrant that positive title and thumbnail lol.

How about games you can play without a graphics card?

Needs to have Anthony as the host. Emulation should also be included. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

A lot of the animosity towards game-streaming is just plain, old prejudice and misconceptions from people who have never even tried any. Sure, if you've got a shitty connection then there's simply no magic that can be done to make game-streaming work well, but these people act as if no matter what you do, the streaming will be horribly laggy and look like pixelated junk even on good-quality connections. It's fucking idiotic.

I use game-streaming and desktop-streaming quite a lot, including Steam Remote Play, Parsec and Geforce Now and e.g. Geforce Now at 50Mbps certainly doesn't look like pixelated junk.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I used nvidia for streaming, and it worked flawlesly on my internet, which is not the best. But then studios started taking games from their service out of pure greed. Lets remember how it work. You rent a pc, then you buy a game and you play it in the pc you are renting. But thanks to all the terms and conditions any company can ban anyone or anything because they want. It should be illegal for any company to block you for playing the game you have bought on a rented pc. I stopped using it because i couldnt play the games i wanted. But if the games you want are available go for the nvidia streaming servers.

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

How about games you can play without a graphics card?

Needs to have Anthony as the host. Emulation should also be included. 

Last game I played without having a GPU was... X-Wing VS Tie Fighter. Or maybe A-10 Attack!, all on a Mac. 75mhz, Performa PowerPC 5215CD.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

15 hours ago, Nystemy said:

I thought that this were going to be a look into APUs. Cloud gaming is though another method of going around the issue of GPU shortages to be fair, but APUs have their own advantages.

from zen 3+ apus gonna be something else. Not yet

14 hours ago, Roy Hill-Percival said:

Does anyone know what lapdesk/keyboard Linus is using in this video?

Looks like a Roccat Sova to me.

45 minutes ago, crocket said:

You should try to own as much as possible.

Why? I, for example, typically only play through a game once, after which I never touch it again, and thus it doesn't really make any difference if I own it or rent it.

46 minutes ago, crocket said:

Perhaps, you should stop playing games anyway because they burn your brain and make you dumber.

That's not how it works.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I tried geforce now. Does not fit my needs. Was very unimpressed. My internet is kickass.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

Is time to make an ALL iGPU PCs round (no GPU, only iGPUs) 😈