You Don't Need a Graphics Card! - Cloud Gaming Services Roundup

James

I liked the video and it has been a service that I sincerly have been considering. I prefer PC games but have not bought any hardware in the past 11 years. Basically coasted with mobile games and a very old Wii. 
However, Stadia was the first service that I saw that I could have just a good enough laptop to run business offices work and would be able to play some story driven games. My focus is not to be competitive but to experience some of the great games relased in the past 10 years. 

On that, Stadia did a good job with image quality and responsiveness to play the demo of Phenix Rising. If xCloud has similar performace without being demanding in the PC that I am using then would be great.
For now, xcloud is not officially supported in Win10. The app that is showed in the video, seems to be the unofficial app, but basically is a copy of the Android app version ported to Win10. 
If you are going to try to use similar solution, I would suggest then use an Andriod emulator (like BlueStacks) and run the Android native app, the results on responsives are much better. 
I am really looking forward to the xCloud proper Win 10 version that would natively support Keyboard and mouse, but till then I will be using the Ultimate game pass to play old rematered games like Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. 

After watching the whole video my conclusion basically was that all of these services are useless for me. Even if i had the option to play games i otherwise couldn't because i don't have a GPU, i would probably bitch about the latency and compression artifacts more than i'd enjoy playing the game, thus making the experience more negative than positive. This is the final nail in the coffin for my opinion about cloud gaming and why i think it will never replace a local PC/Console.

And as for what david said about PS now being better on a playstation. I tried to stream a PS now game on a PS4 and input lag was pretty much like in the worst-case scene of the video. About 1-2 seconds delay, which even makes singleplayer games impossible to enjoy imo. And i have gigabit ethernet at home so i can guarantee my connection is not the problem...

The claims about "negative latency" literally made me laugh when i head it for the first time. Still unbelievable that they expected some people to actually trust these claims.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I'm still so old fashioned I like to have physical copies of games even if the discs don't mean anything anymore since the game still needs to download. 

14 hours ago, RDG said:

If xCloud has similar performace without being demanding in the PC that I am using then would be great.

None of these streaming-services are demanding. They all work in basically the same way: all the actual hard work is done on a remote PC on the Internet and only the audio and video is streamed to your PC, so all your PC has to do is show the video on display and send input from controller/keyboard/mouse back to that remote PC. Decoding that video is not a difficult task, which is why these services work fine even on total potato-PCs. (Obviously any networking-issues are a different matter, but that's got nothing to do with how powerful PC you have)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

And i have gigabit ethernet at home so i can guarantee my connection is not the problem..

Gigabit Ethernet doesn't mean anything in this context. If you have a potato-connection to your ISP, then that's the bottleneck, even if you had 10Gig Ethernet at home.

14 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

why i think it will never replace a local PC/Console.

It's mostly just marketers and hypers who make the claim that it'd replace local gaming. Anyone more realistic and practical will only say it'll be an addition, not a replacement.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, Roy Hill-Percival said:

Does anyone know what lapdesk/keyboard Linus is using in this video?

This is a Roccat Sova, I got one before Xmas and it's pretty great for couch gaming.  Honestly the best 'FPS' experience I've had on a couch.  Found it not so great for things like Civilization, but I think that was more 'I want to lean over a desk playing 4X games, not lie back on my couch' than the keyboard.

One thing I'd warn you is that it's mouse pad is super 'fast', it's a hard plastic built in mouse pad and my mouse glides over it like butter.  I added a cloth mouse pad to go ontop of the hard one and solved that, at least for my preferences.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!
Look I want to buy Linus mouse pad but I want to know just one thing because, I need it...
Does Linus use Fast Material in his mouse pads...
I mean is it will be easier to Flick or Quick Reflex while FPS games, because I'm a arm gamer and I need speed mouse pad.

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 9:21 AM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is a Roccat Sova, I got one before Xmas and it's pretty great for couch gaming.  Honestly the best 'FPS' experience I've had on a couch.  Found it not so great for things like Civilization, but I think that was more 'I want to lean over a desk playing 4X games, not lie back on my couch' than the keyboard.

One thing I'd warn you is that it's mouse pad is super 'fast', it's a hard plastic built in mouse pad and my mouse glides over it like butter.  I added a cloth mouse pad to go ontop of the hard one and solved that, at least for my preferences.

Thank you! I've been looking for something like this.