Cameras that wont turn into cloud only

I need some camera, outside and inside, that i can control fully without paying a subscription fee or worry about the camera turning into a cloud only service like we seen with a few things. What cameras do people recommend for this? I plan to use my old PC or many an independent thing as a server type thing for the cameras to record too. If possible it would also be nice if the cameras had some sort of internal storage or removable storage, like and SD card, to record to in case the network went down, even if it costs a bit more, but if that doesnt then I'm not too bothered about that. I don't really know a thing about cameras so I'm not really too sure what to look for brand wise for the non-cloud stuff.

It not going cloud only or even having the chance to (FOSS software/firmware) is paramount. I don't mind having to fiddle around with it (i actually kinda enjoy that stuff) for it to work on a local 'server' machine.

Also it would be nice if i could just plug it into the mains via a plug point (I live in UK so G Type 240v) instead of having to drill into the wall for power (for the insides ones only of course).

For the outside ones its a bit more tricky since we will have to get permission of the council to drill into the wall for power (its a council rented house) so we have more hoops to jump through for that.

For my cameras I use been mostly using amcrest POE cameras I get from amazon. None are setup to record internally, instead I use a Blue Iris to control the cameras. There are solar wifi cameras as well that the software can work with, it supports just about everything even usb cameras. I went poe since I could easily make my own cables and just have to run one. BlueIris can be configured a bunch of ways and has ai support for motion/alerts/etc.... 

19 minutes ago, voyager_ said:

For my cameras I use been mostly using amcrest POE cameras I get from amazon. None are setup to record internally, instead I use a Blue Iris to control the cameras. There are solar wifi cameras as well that the software can work with, it supports just about everything even usb cameras. I went poe since I could easily make my own cables and just have to run one. BlueIris can be configured a bunch of ways and has ai support for motion/alerts/etc.... 

Ah didnt think about POE, could use that since i might be putting ethernet through the house. Also just realised about the software like you mentioned blue iris, i forgot that existed and you can actually do that, i think i found a FOSS one that looks good zoneminder.com/ so ill keep that in mind (again, new to CCTV cameras). Do you know amcrests stance on possible going cloud only, or if they even have cloud services right now?

Posted (edited)

Ive found lorextechnology.co.uk (UK site) that looks good for the hardware side. Anyone had experience with lorex? Does anyone know if i can use 3rd party camera management software like zoneminder?

Edited by CentreMetre
hyperlink

If you're willing to spend the money (or buy used), Axis PoE cameras won't go cloud-only any time soon.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I have no idea of Amcrest going cloud, It won't affect my camera none of them can access the internet so no need to worry of forced updates and if they go that way I'll just switch brands. Blue Iris supports a ton of cameras so it's easy to find replacements. So far I have been really happy with the cameras from them and they have some that are 4k and do color at night. I will be probably switching my main cameras to these as I retire my older ones.