Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What console has been the biggest disappointment?

What console you've bought has been the biggest dissapointment and why?

For me:

Atari Jaguar. Got it day one. VERY expensive and poor library at the start. Very few good games were ever released for it.
The console itself wasn't that bad. I sucked at 3d, and that was all the rage back then. Could have been much better with good marketing. At least to get some developers to make/ port games for it.

 

Only games I really enjoyed on it were Cannon Fodder, Wolfenstein 3D and Tempest2000.

 

Honorable mention to Nintendo Switch lite 😄
Can't seen to find any games for it that I enjoy. Well there are, but they're available for every other console and PC for half the price.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouya. That was a piece of shit in every imaginable scenario.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhAt IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd?? HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Levent said:

Ouya. That was a piece of shit in every imaginable scenario.

😄 So I've heard. NEARLY bought that one as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wii U,

 

got one, played it for a few hours and then went back to my laptop and never looked at it again

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Count Lustig said:

What console you've bought has been the biggest dissapointment and why?

For me:

Atari Jaguar. Got it day one. VERY expensive and poor library at the start. Very few good games were ever released for it.
The console itself wasn't that bad. I sucked at 3d, and that was all the rage back then. Could have been much better with good marketing. At least to get some developers to make/ port games for it.

 

Only games I really enjoyed on it were Cannon Fodder, Wolfenstein 3D and Tempest2000.

 

Honorable mention to Ningendo Switch lite 😄
Can't seen to find any games for it that I enjoy. Well there are, but they're available for every other console and PC for half the price.

 

 

The Wii U.

 

TLOZ Wind Waker is one of my favorite titles, so of course when Nintendo announced a HD remake along with a Wii U special edition, I spent my savings on it without hesitation.

 

It was the worst decision ever. After finishing the game, I looked for other titles only to find out that none interested me. So, spent my savings in a console I only used for one game, then back to the box.

 

I would like to mention that the Switch surprised me. Got my first one last year and luckily never had drift problems, then I gave it away. Got my second Switch on January and still works perfectly. Indie games are my favorites, so I was happy to see that there was a lot of them on the eShop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Levent said:

Ouya. That was a piece of shit in every imaginable scenario.

You actually bought one? 😬

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You actually bought one? 😬

No? I would never buy a Android phone to plug into a TV to play games.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhAt IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd?? HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Levent said:

No? I would never buy a Android phone to plug into a TV to play games.

Well, the OP did ask what console you have bought and thus I was surprised you said Ouya. Nevermind me, then.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Count Lustig said:

What console you've bought has been the biggest dissapointment and why?

I haven't owned a lot of consoles, but I'd say the PS3 was rather disappointing. I thought I would play on it more than I actually ended up playing, but I really only played God of War III on it and it spent the rest of its days collecting dust. The Move - controllers were awful and never worked right, the camera - thingy was even worse, the games were horribly expensive and most of the ones I tried ran surprisingly poorly, the PS3's UI itself was horribly slow.....

 

I made a similar mistake with the PS4 as well. I got suckered into it because I wanted to try VR and PSVR was a reasonably cheap way of doing just that, but, well, I am not compatible with it, it seems. Haven't played much with the PS4, but overall it's a better experience than the PS3, still, and I regret purchasing it less than I regret getting the PS3.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wii U was a disappointment from me.

I've really wanted to love it, from the day of the unveiling, but Nintendo did such a poor job at marketing the device, no one took it seriously.

Because no consumers took it seriously, neither did publishers and developers, so there weren't many games that took full advantage of the game.

 

There were a plethora of fun games on the console, but nothing that specifically took advantage of it (and the second screen).

The re-releases were fun, but it really made it feel like "the Wii 2!"

 

The 3DS and PS Vita launches were both kind of awful too, with a lack of games and very high pricing.

Luckily the 3DS library grew larger by the year, with games like Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X/Y, etc. releasing at a later point.

The PS Vita is not something I got into, but they did release an LCD model (instead of OLED) and a lot more games, to make it a worthwhile handheld.

These two is what I would describe as a terrible launch, but not a terrible console.

 

A special mention does go to the New 3DS and the New 3DS XL, for having some of the worst names in Nintendo's history (together with Wii U, of course).

 

Another special mention goes to the GameBoy Micro, which I don't have, but would like to get now.

Let me explain, you had the GameBoy, which played GameBoy games. Then the GameBoy Color, which played its own GameBoy Color games and GameBoy (original) too! Then the GBA came along, with newer games, but it still played the original GameBoy and GameBoy Color games!

After that we got the GameBoy Micro, which had a great user experience on the outside (IMO):

- A bit small, but the wide shape is something I do like

- Backlit screen

- Rechargeable battery

 

But no way to play GameBoy (Color) games. That kind of bummed me out on a console, that released after the original  Nintendo DS.

That original Nintendo DS, which had similar characteristics (rechargeable battery, backlit screen, wide grip, but still portable because of its clamshell, can play GBA games, but not older GameBoy titles, etc.)

Because of that, the GameBoy Micro didn't sell too much, making it a hot ticket item nowadays, which is what I find most disappointing about it!

It was not good enough compared to the alternative at the time, but still a good small handheld. These two properties make it difficult/expensive to get nowadays.

 

As you can maybe tell, I like consoles/handhelds, so have some strong opinions about some of them.

This would be my picks for disappointing consoles (which most of them I have, except GameBoy Micro and PS Vita). 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I haven't owned a lot of consoles, but I'd say the PS3 was rather disappointing. I thought I would play on it more than I actually ended up playing, but I really only played God of War III on it and it spent the rest of its days collecting dust. The Move - controllers were awful and never worked right, the camera - thingy was even worse, the games were horribly expensive and most of the ones I tried ran surprisingly poorly, the PS3's UI itself was horribly slow.....

 

Wow, I've had a complete opposite experience. The PS3 is probably my all time favourite console. I liked the UI and the library of games was great. I still game on PS3 occasionally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, minibois said:

 

The PS Vita is not something I got into, but they did release an LCD model (instead of OLED) and a lot more games, to make it a worthwhile handheld.

These two is what I would describe as a terrible launch, but not a terrible console.ta). 

I got mine used a few years after launch. The original, with the OLED screen. By that time, there were plenty of games (+ emulators...) to play. I still take mine with on trips. So, I agree; terrible at launch, bad support from developers and Sony. But one of my favourites.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Count Lustig said:

Wow, I've had a complete opposite experience. The PS3 is probably my all time favourite console. I liked the UI and the library of games was great. I still game on PS3 occasionally. 

I'm in this boat, I have two PS3's right now because how can you say no to a free Playstation? I booted up LittleBigPlanet a few weeks ago, that was really nostalgic.

As for the actual topic, I'm going to upset A LOT of people. The Wii. I don't like Mario Kart Wii, I don't like Brawl, Twilight Princess is better on the GameCube, and aside from gimmicky stuff -

3745d001d4977eb9d1c08063403eeb11.gif

It never did anything better than anything before or after it. It sold amazingly, it was fun for the gimmicks, but there weren't any games that were good games on their own, enhanced by motion controls (or just stayed equal) that came out on the Wii. I know you can use the "Pro Controller" but I don't want reskinned Super Mario World. I can play that on almost anything now. If I've been blind to a game, please let me know, I can fire up Dolphin any day. I just haven't seen anything truly gripping on the Wii that isn't better on another platform. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, minibois said:

The Wii U was a disappointment from me.

I've really wanted to love it, from the day of the unveiling, but Nintendo did such a poor job at marketing the device, no one took it seriously.

Because no consumers took it seriously, neither did publishers and developers, so there weren't many games that took full advantage of the game.

 

There were a plethora of fun games on the console, but nothing that specifically took advantage of it (and the second screen).

The re-releases were fun, but it really made it feel like "the Wii 2!"

 

The 3DS and PS Vita launches were both kind of awful too, with a lack of games and very high pricing.

Luckily the 3DS library grew larger by the year, with games like Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X/Y, etc. releasing at a later point.

The PS Vita is not something I got into, but they did release an LCD model (instead of OLED) and a lot more games, to make it a worthwhile handheld.

These two is what I would describe as a terrible launch, but not a terrible console.

 

A special mention does go to the New 3DS and the New 3DS XL, for having some of the worst names in Nintendo's history (together with Wii U, of course).

 

Another special mention goes to the GameBoy Micro, which I don't have, but would like to get now.

Let me explain, you had the GameBoy, which played GameBoy games. Then the GameBoy Color, which played its own GameBoy Color games and GameBoy (original) too! Then the GBA came along, with newer games, but it still played the original GameBoy and GameBoy Color games!

After that we got the GameBoy Micro, which had a great user experience on the outside (IMO):

- A bit small, but the wide shape is something I do like

- Backlit screen

- Rechargeable battery

 

But no way to play GameBoy (Color) games. That kind of bummed me out on a console, that released after the original  Nintendo DS.

That original Nintendo DS, which had similar characteristics (rechargeable battery, backlit screen, wide grip, but still portable because of its clamshell, can play GBA games, but not older GameBoy titles, etc.)

Because of that, the GameBoy Micro didn't sell too much, making it a hot ticket item nowadays, which is what I find most disappointing about it!

It was not good enough compared to the alternative at the time, but still a good small handheld. These two properties make it difficult/expensive to get nowadays.

 

As you can maybe tell, I like consoles/handhelds, so have some strong opinions about some of them.

This would be my picks for disappointing consoles (which most of them I have, except GameBoy Micro and PS Vita). 

I don’t remember much, so please correct if I’m wrong.

 

Was it me or the Wii U catalog was really scarce? There was games ofc, but I felt that most of them focused on the big names like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda. Other than that, there was not variety.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Count Lustig said:

Wow, I've had a complete opposite experience. The PS3 is probably my all time favourite console. I liked the UI and the library of games was great. I still game on PS3 occasionally. 

PS3 is one of my favorites as well.

 

I owned many consoles and I think the PS3 was one of the bests, personally speaking at least (Talking about when the console just came out).

 

My brother has the PS4 and poor console has been through a lot in this last four years, so I want to recognize its durability. It has fallen, split apart, and nearly kicked, among other things. It keeps working just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wii U (and Xbox One), and I love the consoles

But it was a disappointment for me.

 

So I have quite a few consoles, I like to collect games as a hobby (on top of playing them, yes). 

The Wii U was the first home console I bought with my own money.  My Wii was a chirstmas present back in the day.  And in 2013, right before graduating, my buddy gave me his 360 cause he switched over to PS3.  So about two months after graduating, the Basic set hadn't even been canceled yet. So I went to Target, I picked up a deluxe set Wii U, Batman Arkham City, ZombiU, and obviously the console came with Nintendo Land. 

and... until about 2014, Nintendo wasn't doing anything with the console.  It was a slow start, and it didn't have too much.  3rd party support seemed like it was going to be super strong at first, but after the first year it tapered off hard.  I had to sell my Wii U in college for money, with all the games I owned. 

 

The Xbox One.  I was working at a now defunct retail chain and they put the wrong sales sign on the Xbox Ones.  I had warned them of this but they didn't believe me.  So I took advantage of it and got an Xbox One for the same price as a PS4 release year. I liked it more than my Wii U at first, I was liking it.  I was still on the high of that 360.  I saw the teaser that a new Halo was coming.  While I hadn't owned a 360 for long, I played it a lot with friends with games like Halo and CoD and Gears and shit.  So now I have an Xbox One.  I got a few of the games with gold titles, I tried Destiny, and Sunset Overdrive is a truly underrated game of the 8th gen, but then.. nothing.  For quite a bit.  

The 8th gen just had a super slow start.  So I got bored and even disappointed with my Xbox One.  I kept it, but I also had to sell it in college for money.

 

Now fast forward to today.  I bought another Wii U and Xbox One S.  I love both of them, and they both get a decent amount of playtime from me.  I have a few of the heavy hitter third party games, and all of the games Nintendo published in North America.  My Xbox One collection is slowly growing, and getting back to what it used to be.  The Wii U especially, holds a special place in my heart.  As the two consoles lifetime went on, I did have more fun with them, and now looking at the end with both consoles, they had good games on them.  It just took so long and I was just like, "this, kinda sucks.." at the beginning.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

The Wii U (and Xbox One), and I love the consoles

But it was a disappointment for me.

 

So I have quite a few consoles, I like to collect games as a hobby (on top of playing them, yes). 

The Wii U was the first home console I bought with my own money.  My Wii was a chirstmas present back in the day.  And in 2013, right before graduating, my buddy gave me his 360 cause he switched over to PS3.  So about two months after graduating, the Basic set hadn't even been canceled yet. So I went to Target, I picked up a deluxe set Wii U, Batman Arkham City, ZombiU, and obviously the console came with Nintendo Land. 

and... until about 2014, Nintendo wasn't doing anything with the console.  It was a slow start, and it didn't have too much.  3rd party support seemed like it was going to be super strong at first, but after the first year it tapered off hard.  I had to sell my Wii U in college for money, with all the games I owned. 

 

The Xbox One.  I was working at a now defunct retail chain and they put the wrong sales sign on the Xbox Ones.  I had warned them of this but they didn't believe me.  So I took advantage of it and got an Xbox One for the same price as a PS4 release year. I liked it more than my Wii U at first, I was liking it.  I was still on the high of that 360.  I saw the teaser that a new Halo was coming.  While I hadn't owned a 360 for long, I played it a lot with friends with games like Halo and CoD and Gears and shit.  So now I have an Xbox One.  I got a few of the games with gold titles, I tried Destiny, and Sunset Overdrive is a truly underrated game of the 8th gen, but then.. nothing.  For quite a bit.  

The 8th gen just had a super slow start.  So I got bored and even disappointed with my Xbox One.  I kept it, but I also had to sell it in college for money.

 

Now fast forward to today.  I bought another Wii U and Xbox One S.  I love both of them, and they both get a decent amount of playtime from me.  I have a few of the heavy hitter third party games, and all of the games Nintendo published in North America.  My Xbox One collection is slowly growing, and getting back to what it used to be.  The Wii U especially, holds a special place in my heart.  As the two consoles lifetime went on, I did have more fun with them, and now looking at the end with both consoles, they had good games on them.  It just took so long and I was just like, "this, kinda sucks.." at the beginning.

Perhaps  a bit out of topic, but did you ever got to play Zombie U? I just remembered the game and it really fun. Or at least what I saw because it was only like a demo, or the disc didn’t work very well, can’t remember why was that.

 

I feel the same towards my Wii U so I can understand what you are saying. It was the biggest disappointment but still have it eight years later. Back then I only traded and bought used consoles, so the Wii U was the first brand new I ever got.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

Perhaps  a bit out of topic, but did you ever got to play Zombie U? I just remembered the game and it really fun. Or at least what I saw because it was only like a demo, or the disc didn’t work very well, can’t remember why was that.

 

I feel the same towards my Wii U so I can understand what you are saying. It was the biggest disappointment but still have it eight years later. Back then I only traded and bought used consoles, so the Wii U was the first brand new I ever got.

I enjoyed Zombi U, yeah.  I thought it was one of the few games on the system that 100% justified the use of the gamepad.  

I could go on for a hot minute about why I both loved and am just so disappointed in the Wii U, and why it failed.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contrary to the consensus so far, I actually think the Wii U was great. I liked it as much as I thought I would. The whole media controller tablet/pseudo handheld console just really appealed to me. I also think it would have gotten a better rap if they hadn't tried to capitalize on the Wii's fame because it only promoted confusion for those not super into the game world (parents) and caused Nintendo fanboys to have way too lofty expectations. I still to this day meet people whose families didn't let them get a Wii U when they were young because their parents believed it was the same as the Wii.

 

All that being said, the Switch is definitely the console I regret buying. It was marketed as this portable console that was way better than Nintendo's other portable offerings while maintaining the gaming capability of a non portable console. I mean the main gimmick is it basically turns into a tablet. When I actually got one, I realized that it is kinda just a fancy tablet. As such, I was super bummed out when I found out it really sucks for that purpose. Nintendo outright refuses to allow even a simple web browser for it, which limits its functionality greatly- that really annoyed me because even the DSi and Wii had browsers that I occasionally used. It has no bluetooth capabilities which sucks greatly when  traveling.

 

The absolute most annoying thing to me is that they have trash support for the non Nintendo apps they do allow. The touch screen doesn't work for services like Hulu, so I can't just hold the switch by itself and watch in bed like I could a phone. Rather, I have to keep the joy cons connected which just makes the whole thing more cumbersome. Moreover, there is no support other streaming services like Netflix or Spotify. Which seems like a great oversight considering the amount of people who used the Wii and Wii U as decently cheap ways of adding extra functionality to their TV's. 

 

What this has resulted in is me never using its portable capabilities. Instead, I just leave it docked pretty much constantly. This sucks because I don't even use the FREAKING MAIN GIMMICK that often, and I loved how smooth it was. I literally marveled at it for like 20 minutes when I bought one. That to me is tragic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheInvisible_Dude said:

I don’t remember much, so please correct if I’m wrong.

 

Was it me or the Wii U catalog was really scarce? There was games ofc, but I felt that most of them focused on the big names like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda. Other than that, there was not variety.

The Wii U catalog was quite scarce in third party games.

If you didn't like Mario, Zelda, etc. there was very little good to play on the console.

 

Of course there are exceptions, as the Wii U did have some solid titles, but those were pretty uncommon.

That just stemmed from the vicious cycle of:

No third party support > resulting in little interest from consumers> so not many developers/publishers cared about the console > etc.

 

I did like how the controllers fro. The Wii could be used on the console and how Wii games played on it too.

That at least made it less of a big investment.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The system I was most disappointed by was the PSP. I bought one, realized GTA sucked on it, and then hacked it and put an NES emulator on and just used it as a portable NES for a while before giving it away. But that was back when I wasn't into JRPG. Nowadays I freaking love the PSP / PS1 library that could be played on it and play them on my OLED Vita. Looking back at the library now based on my current game tastes PSP was pretty badass, but I felt like I just wasted my money on it 15 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Contrary to the consensus so far, I actually think the Wii U was great. I liked it as much as I thought I would. The whole media controller tablet/pseudo handheld console just really appealed to me. I also think it would have gotten a better rap if they hadn't tried to capitalize on the Wii's fame because it only promoted confusion for those not super into the game world (parents) and caused Nintendo fanboys to have way too lofty expectations. I still to this day meet people whose families didn't let them get a Wii U when they were young because their parents believed it was the same as the Wii.

 

All that being said, the Switch is definitely the console I regret buying. It was marketed as this portable console that was way better than Nintendo's other portable offerings while maintaining the gaming capability of a non portable console. I mean the main gimmick is it basically turns into a tablet. When I actually got one, I realized that it is kinda just a fancy tablet. As such, I was super bummed out when I found out it really sucks for that purpose. Nintendo outright refuses to allow even a simple web browser for it, which limits its functionality greatly- that really annoyed me because even the DSi and Wii had browsers that I occasionally used. It has no bluetooth capabilities which sucks greatly when  traveling.

 

The absolute most annoying thing to me is that they have trash support for the non Nintendo apps they do allow. The touch screen doesn't work for services like Hulu, so I can't just hold the switch by itself and watch in bed like I could a phone. Rather, I have to keep the joy cons connected which just makes the whole thing more cumbersome. Moreover, there is no support other streaming services like Netflix or Spotify. Which seems like a great oversight considering the amount of people who used the Wii and Wii U as decently cheap ways of adding extra functionality to their TV's. 

 

What this has resulted in is me never using its portable capabilities. Instead, I just leave it docked pretty much constantly. This sucks because I don't even use the FREAKING MAIN GIMMICK that often, and I loved how smooth it was. I literally marveled at it for like 20 minutes when I bought one. That to me is tragic.

The Wii U should have just been called Wii 2.  But Nintendo tried to be cutesy with the name.  I didn't have lofty expectations of the console.  Nintendo had great games on the system, but they overshadowed it with the 3DS and just.. underdelivered.  No one really had too lofty expectations of the console, at least from what I've seen.  Nintendo just underdelivered and didn't live up to all promises.

 

As for the Switch.  I honestly don't get why people are pissed about no web browser.  I get that a lot of consoles have had them.  But being realistic here, how many times do people actually use their console browser over a proper PC or laptop, or their smartphone, or an actual tablet.  I've never once with my Wii U back in the day gone like, "I need to google that, let me open the Nintendo Wii U Browser TM!"  Nah, I just... pulled out my phone or my iPad. 

 

Every single one of my consoles, minus my Xbox One S, just because Android TV is utter garbage, I use for just games. I have more convenient ways to stream content from bed, or the couch, or my desk.  My Switch plays games and it does that well enough. I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at work no issues, and that's my favorite JRPG of all time. (as an example).

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, minibois said:

The Wii U catalog was quite scarce in third party games.

If you didn't like Mario, Zelda, etc. there was very little good to play on the console.

 

Of course there are exceptions, as the Wii U did have some solid titles, but those were pretty uncommon.

That just stemmed from the vicious cycle of:

No third party support > resulting in little interest from consumers> so not many developers/publishers cared about the console > etc.

 

I did like how the controllers fro. The Wii could be used on the console and how Wii games played on it too.

That at least made it less of a big investment.

My issue with the Wii U, and as much as I love the system... is it's games library.  Both first party and third party.

 

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Super Mario 3D World are my favorite games on the system.  They're great games, but they're very similar or straight got ported to another system.


Kirby and the Rainbow Curse granted is a sequel from the DS.  But the 3DS got three kirby games itself.  Yoshi's Woolly World is ported to the 3DS.  3D World is a sequel to 3D Land.  And a lot of Nintendo first party titles are like this.  They have straight ports or similar enough games on a 3DS that your average consumer, didn't need to drop $300 plus $60 a game to get Wii U games.  Just buy a 2DS for $70 and then pay $40 per game.  

 

There's some decent third party games too, but they're hard to find after the first year and a half cause of how fast it dropped off.  But even it's biggest third party game, ZombiU, eventually got ported to other consoles too.

 

The gamepad was comfortable as all hell, the battery life irritated me with it though.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OrangeSunshine said:

Contrary to the consensus so far, I actually think the Wii U was great. I liked it as much as I thought I would. The whole media controller tablet/pseudo handheld console just really appealed to me. I also think it would have gotten a better rap if they hadn't tried to capitalize on the Wii's fame because it only promoted confusion for those not super into the game world (parents) and caused Nintendo fanboys to have way too lofty expectations. I still to this day meet people whose families didn't let them get a Wii U when they were young because their parents believed it was the same as the Wii.

 

All that being said, the Switch is definitely the console I regret buying. It was marketed as this portable console that was way better than Nintendo's other portable offerings while maintaining the gaming capability of a non portable console. I mean the main gimmick is it basically turns into a tablet. When I actually got one, I realized that it is kinda just a fancy tablet. As such, I was super bummed out when I found out it really sucks for that purpose. Nintendo outright refuses to allow even a simple web browser for it, which limits its functionality greatly- that really annoyed me because even the DSi and Wii had browsers that I occasionally used. It has no bluetooth capabilities which sucks greatly when  traveling.

 

The absolute most annoying thing to me is that they have trash support for the non Nintendo apps they do allow. The touch screen doesn't work for services like Hulu, so I can't just hold the switch by itself and watch in bed like I could a phone. Rather, I have to keep the joy cons connected which just makes the whole thing more cumbersome. Moreover, there is no support other streaming services like Netflix or Spotify. Which seems like a great oversight considering the amount of people who used the Wii and Wii U as decently cheap ways of adding extra functionality to their TV's. 

 

What this has resulted in is me never using its portable capabilities. Instead, I just leave it docked pretty much constantly. This sucks because I don't even use the FREAKING MAIN GIMMICK that often, and I loved how smooth it was. I literally marveled at it for like 20 minutes when I bought one. That to me is tragic.

I definitely agree on the switch supposing to be portable.

 

When I got my first switch I was excited I could finally play with a friend outside—then I discovered that the switch was all but portable.

 

Got a good case for it and still it didn’t feel portable because it needed a lot of space. Sometimes I would just pack it with a book and a bottle in my bag and it didn’t feel as good. Then if you are actually playing outside you would need the most of the brightness and perhaps sound, bye bye battery then. 

 

I was quite surprised when I discovered it didn’t really support streaming apps that much. Like... most console games do that now? Why the Switch wouldn’t? Wouldn’t having a good quality on streaming apps make the console better in the video game market? Idk, most of the time Nintendo focuses way too much in their own stuff. And most of the time that doesn’t comes good for the public. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, kaiju_wars said:

I enjoyed Zombi U, yeah.  I thought it was one of the few games on the system that 100% justified the use of the gamepad.  

I could go on for a hot minute about why I both loved and am just so disappointed in the Wii U, and why it failed.  

I’m going to be honest, 

 

to this day, I’m still so mad they didn’t make Majora’s Mask for the Wii U. Such a wasted potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×