Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I've been looking at motherboards to buy recently. Obviously the diy are tougher for the overclockers but how much more? Those diy motherboards always have selling points for example: so many phase power delivery, number of capacitors. What is the ratio exactly? When a person buys a good quality desktop from a brand name pc maker. What exactly are they getting board wise vs high end diy board. That info would really help me in deciding what diy board to get. I mean I just need a quality modern non-overclocking board that looks nice and has all the stuff to get the job done. No led, no overclocking just the normal stuff but up to date on everything. I don't need an over the top super monster of a board with 16 phases lol or maybe I do?

It's not that I want to bash band name pc makers. I actually like hp and have always had their stuff.

Sometimes I wish I could just buy an hp branded board by itself to put in my own case because I don't think the diy boardmakers are hearing what some of us want in a board. I'm not an expert but when I look at the boards. I see either too much bling and super power or old looking boards dressed up. I also don't think the brand name pc makers are hearing what people like me want either. I don't like the trend lately of smaller, smaller, lighter.

Oddly though I do like the heatsinks on everything lol. They really look cool to me ?.

I would love to watch that video! 

On 1/2/2020 at 3:23 AM, ProDigit said:

No video review, but make a Chinese media player supercluster, just because.

Just buy a bunch of cheap media players (AMLogic S905X3 CPUs are good, and are going from $25/unit on eBay and Alibaba; or the more expensive octacore versions), take out the guts, install a heat sink on all of them, mount them together with hexagonal rods and do Boinc on them.

Here's a concept with 4 boards:

spacer.pngspacer.png

My cluster (now 8 units) uses an Ethernet switch, USB hub for power, and HDMI+USB for controlling each unit with 1 keyboard and mouse, and display it on one display.

Would love to see if you could steer each unit remotely with either one Android media player, or a raspberry pi by communicating over the network with them. It would save on HDMI and USB cables.

I'm in the process of making a 24 and 48 cluster device.

I want to see a massive supercluster of these. Like 100 of them!

actually theres something made by the pine team that is really cool and comes with a builtin switch:

https://www.pine64.org/clusterboard/

get a few of these, put it in a filing cabinet with powersupplys and see how it is on boinc (i bet pretty damn quick.)

On 1/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, Intergalacticbits said:

I would like to see a no dollar wasted intel cpu build. I really enjoyed that first amd no dollar wasted video that was done a while back (sorry I can't remember that guys name who did it).

I also would like to see a big case, high end intel cpu build with the largest noctua air cooler. I love the super big desktop cases. It is on my personal wish list to own an over the top gigantic desktop some day.

Since the last amd releases it seems like everyone out there is making nothing but non-stop amd build videos.

Which is understandable but it is starting to bore me now.

the problem with this is if you use an intel cpu you are wasting dollars ?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I’ve seen a zillion different setups with hd antennas for cord cutters and there’s a lot to unpack.  Brand, roof mount, websites that help you point your non omnidirectional antenna to the right tower, recording device or sling box.  Even if there’s an older video on this it certainly could use a refresh

Dear Linus and LMG Team,

I have been analyzing LTT videos on the LTT channel from the very beginning as an interested IT engineer with over 20 years of business experience in hard and software science.

Over the past 10 years, the concept has been good and has covered the broad interests well, but a lot of interests have changed among users of technology.

My goal is not the criticism but an urgent recommendation to adapt to preserve the LTT channel.

Important recommendations for the future to maintain the LTT channel!

In addition to the content of the LMG on various platforms, my analysis also included many other important technology channels outside of the YT, practically on the Internet as a whole.

I use click numbers for analysis, search engine ratings based on clicks on topics in relation to current topics and many other statistically interesting data sources for this evaluation.

As a brief summary of this evaluation, here are the most important suggestions based on the content of the entire LMG, in order to make the LTT channel more interesting again, which I have collected over the past 10 years of my analysis of the technical interests of people.

1. MUCH MORE ABOUT PRIVACY AND SECURITY AND NOTICE OF DANGERS! For example: simple system backups, password security, secure DNS servers, secure search engines, encryption of hard drives, protection against identity theft and much much more ...

2. Highlight and use more free software and operating systems! More Linux and Open Source software projects!

3. More productive and practical systems and technology with a focus on silent and energy-saving.

4. Technology that makes you more independent. For example private VPNs, PFSense projects, NAS servers and private clouds and much more always under the focus of open source and security.

5. More practical tips make work easier and save time and make life easier. Tips with and about products in their application should be more in focus than just the product itself.

6. Software projects in connection with all priority points beforehand. (1-5)

7. Bring in more expertise! Many experts are happy to pass on their knowledge free of charge if a platform or channel with a wide range enables them to do so.

8. Creative use of old technology in connection with all priority points before. (1-7)

9. More HOW TO DOES !!!

10. More reviews of the past on old unknown technology from the past 20 years.

So these are I hope useful.

But don't forget the fun part of the videos!

Fun should be continue part of it.

PS. @LinusTech

STOP bending motherboards during RAM installation on motherboard boxes! You do this in so many Videos!!! Pls stop it!

2020-01-07_13-03-52.thumb.png.333c6279bf818458b2f1a669547ba3e5.png

Example here:

As an IT engineer let me tell you that this can break the motherboard if connections break and solder points in the CPU area change or separations change in multi-layers. In the worst case, it is completely gone! It is better to use a flat ESD pad with about 3 to 5 mm of foam underneath to stop every big movement! You can also use 1 or 2 layers of thin cardboard at home. A box is not the same as that and not an replacement for a test bench.

Thrust me its better for the future.

All the best!

6 minutes ago, h0x said:

1. MUCH MORE ABOUT PRIVACY AND SECURITY AND NOTICE OF DANGERS! For example: simple system backups, password security, secure DNS servers, secure search engines, encryption of hard drives, protection against identity theft and much much more ..

LTT is mostly about entertainment, including posting videos on cool shit. None of what you listed is fun, entertaining or cool. This also applies to almost all of your other points.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, h0x said:

STOP bending motherboards during RAM installation on motherboard boxes!

You uh.... you would be horrified by how far I have bent some motherboards with no ill effects.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@h0x

Your thread was merged with the Suggestion thread.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

24 minutes ago, h0x said:

Dear Linus and LMG Team,

-long post snip-

Thrust me its better for the future.

All the best!

While i do agree with most parts of your post, this is not the right channel for your wishes. This is an entertainment channel don't get that confused!

And how would you a mere IT-student fresh out of college know about how to manage major multi-million followed YouTube channel works. Dude that's so arrogant.

And as for the bending motherboards, yeah its not the best way to show it. But in the 500+ computers i built none of them have gone wrong there and i do it to. So there's that.

Thanks for the input but i think besides theoretical knowledge you have you need some years in real life to also get the experience of it.
Good luck and still thanks for your effort to write the post.

Ps. you want to maybe look at GamersNexus channel.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Ahoy there mariners of the silicon ocean! In my imposed role as family tech slave I am tasked with choosing a replacement for my Aunt's laptop/frisbee due to damaged sustained in the course of it's duties. Ideally she is looking for something which doubles as a tablet and laptop as her now predominantly defunct  (non-jailbroken) 1st Gen iPad is virtually useless. I am torn between offering her a decent cheap laptop (non-eMMC) and a tablet, or a more expensive dual use laptop/tablet affair, or perhaps a decent tablet for which you could purchase a small keyboard. Is there a video in this do you think? Or is it a "The Simpson's did it" situation? Selfish reasons perhaps. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-dchJPXGA

3 minutes ago, CaptainLump said:

Ahoy there mariners of the silicon ocean! In my imposed role as family tech slave I am tasked with choosing a replacement for my Aunt's laptop/frisbee due to damaged sustained in the course of it's duties. Ideally she is looking for something which doubles as a tablet and laptop as her now predominantly defunct  (non-jailbroken) 1st Gen iPad is virtually useless. I am torn between offering her a decent cheap laptop (non-eMMC) and a tablet, or a more expensive dual use laptop/tablet affair, or perhaps a decent tablet for which you could purchase a small keyboard. Is there a video in this do you think? Or is it a "The Simpson's did it" situation? Selfish reasons perhaps. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-dchJPXGA

If this is a question i would advise making your own topic about it.
You might get more response that way.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

So I know you guys don't typically do a ton of Smartphone reviews(anymore these days) but I think it'd be cool to see a phone review for buying an older person a smartphone.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

1 minute ago, spikernum1 said:

Saw Origin do an integrated Xbox One or PS4 in a PC. Thought LTT would take it a step further and do an Xbox + PS + PC all-in-one. Off a single PSU, custom watercooled off the same loop, 3 power buttons, tons of USB connections dedicated to each console/pc, 3 HDMI, etc.

Too late. Musta read the Big O specs wrong, take a second look: https://www.originpc.com/landing/2019/big-o

It has a PC, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, and Nintendo Switch all in the one case. I think LTT did a video on it too (can't find it rn though). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Hum I'm pretty sure they already did that a couple of years ago?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I think that video would be very short, as in non-existent, such a thing simply doesn't exist anymore. Expecially since you want usb media playback, and that's where the "complexity" starts.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can you guys get your hands on one of these? This is amazing and seems like a real step forward!!

MiniPC FTW?

85CD4D6E-DE7C-426C-B2C5-C591CDEDF5A0.jpeg

3B070DBB-9817-4D9B-B21B-13DE6580EE06.jpeg

90898D41-5459-47BD-8D36-6A7725CD1E8E.jpeg

FA11761C-9D96-4E46-9B0C-62D4C2294B6D.jpeg

853C5506-7174-4EDF-884E-ACFE483F1AA3.jpeg

They already covered it, but a review would be awesome as well :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 minutes ago, That Franc said:

I just wish it had an AMD option

i agree, as soon as i heard "intel" i was out, 

its not that im against intel, i just prefer more cores, as i do actual work on my pc

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 minutes ago, That Franc said:

I just wish it had an AMD option

Seeing as this is a Razer x Intel partnership I don't think we'll ever see an AMD option. :( 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it's not a step forward at all.

Laptop CPU in a desktop form-factor? No thanks.

The only thing that's really upgradeable for the average user is the GPU, which isn't too hard in a system from someone like origin/cyberpower/etc. anyway.

CPU upgrade is going to be super expensive since you have to replace the whole platform

RAM upgrade is going to be a nightmare, needing to pry into that weirdo system-on-a-PCI-e-card

No room for stuff like extra storage, 3.5inch hdd, etc.

A proper mini-itx case is better in almost every way IMO.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

But I could just get a laptop for the same price and hardware. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 3/26/2019 at 4:31 PM, BBass said:

Probably wouldn't go well with Tunnelbear, one of their sponsors that offers VPN services.

Besides, wouldn't that mean, you only get access via the country where you rent your server? Compared to the dozens provided by services

Tunnelbear got shut down

11 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Seeing as this is a Razer x Intel partnership I don't think we'll ever see an AMD option. :( 

It's a new NUC form factor, there's a number of models, but it's basically an STX motherboard, with a reversed PCI-e slot

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?