Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A viewer named Wise asked Linus about making an Unraid VR/VM Nas setup, and mining crypto in downtime. Linus said this would be "an extreme sketchy configuration".
Nah man, that's not hard. I can help you through it. Hit me up here or Discord.

he should do a video on some of the sponsored content like software.

like the mentioned VPNs to "firewalls" (glasswire, nordvpn, PIA etc), and stuff like virtual cards from privacy (been a sponsor a few times and other virtual cards).

the risks, the benefits, sort of how they work and to use them.

15 hours ago, Frog Monster said:

A viewer named Wise asked Linus about making an Unraid VR/VM Nas setup, and mining crypto in downtime. Linus said this would be "an extreme sketchy configuration".
Nah man, that's not hard. I can help you through it. Hit me up here or Discord.

Merged to video suggestions thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Do you have cold feet when gaming?

Probably, since you live in Canada. My revolutionary idea is about using a liquid cooled computer's loop to your advantage, by having some of the heat dissipate at your feet to make them warm again! You could do this in many ways, but my initial idea has just a simple rad placed on a frame with a little cushion on top. It is not supposed be efficient at transferring heat, but just enough to make the foot rest warm.

Pros:

-No one has done it before. Trust me I looked 2 google pages.

-Relevant topic during winter.

-It's fun and stupid.

-Your feet will be warm.

Cons:

-Yes.

You all should make a pc case out of Lego! There are some really cool ones others have made that you can find on the line to get some ideas.

purtle-tower.jpg

Feed your head.

I have an idea. Linus vs Ultimate fan build off with similar PC's and see who does it better and faster. I am slow at building PC's but I know there is someone faster than Linus out there. 

A cable test and bandwidth video for the Quest 2 Link system.
How much bandwidth do we need for the search, which USB standard and what do different cables deliver?

Video idea. You both buy Linux laptops and run your day to day office off them. Or get Lenovo or System 76 to give them to you for review. System 76 seems cool I bet they would be interested in the publicity. I'd honestly love to see the experience of having a new Thinkpad with fedora and gnome 40 and a trackpad for gestures makes him more or less effective. Maybe you can do a Mac vs Linux for running a business challenge. Linus gets a MacBook as a daily driver Luke gets a Thinkpad? 

Oh how about "Linux Quickie" videos? Put together a Linux box keeping Linux in mind. Setup a duplicate workstation as someone would use at your office and ask them to do their job for like half hour to see if the switch is possible. Love to see what video editors think of the software available to Linux or what the guy with all the macros for video editing could come up with if he took up  a custom workflow on Linux. You're a pretty good test bed for this type of experiment and it might really help improve Linux if say professionals embrace it or provide feedback to stuff like kdenlive. 

I would like to suggest a very Canada-specific security related topic. Did you know that Interac e-Transfers are not as secure (nor very privacy-preserving) as Interac would have us believe? There already have been multiple cases of fraud (there seems to be an increasing number now, since CIBC themselves have a name for it: e-Transfer® Interception Fraud). There also is a paper that scientifically researched the problem (I contributed to that research) but it did not gain very much attention although billions of Canadian dollars are transferred with Interac e-Transfers every year. Perhaps LTT would like to research the problem as well and/or bring it to the attention of a wider public.

The paper can be found here: [1910.01587] On the security and privacy of Interac e-Transfers (arxiv.org)

Hi LTT and everyone,

long story short. my dad died last year and he had three laptops in his apartment that I found when cleaning it out but he never gave me his new passwords so I've had these sitting in my closet for almost a year trying to figure out a way to unlock them without losing the data on them because I know he was writing a book about his life or something and articles for work and one of his friends keeps asking about it because he wants to help finish it for him but I can't get to it. So my hope is maybe for a video you could help me unlock a widows laptop or if you don't want to make a video for security reasons you could just give me some advice on how to unlock them without losing the data on them

Have you considered hosting OpenShift to provide container-based workflows for your staff? It's technical, but I think it could be given your spin. Use it to do videos on some of the big requests on things like PiHole, NextCloud, Plex stack etc, which are all best hosted in containers. Docker and Kubernetes are getting hotter and hotter, the general public is even starting to catch on. Plus, OpenShift would allow you to take it a step further and look at the really advanced stuff: ie SR-IOV network virtualization, using Kafka to replace HW message bus for virtualized gaming stations, etc. 

I am supposedly considered an industry expert in this area, so I'm happy to help consult on any of these videos on my own time, just for the opportunity to work with you. I've been a fan for 10y, and because of your videos have reached a point where I have knowledge and experience to give back.

I have already worked with the likes of Network Chuck on his videos using Rancher on RasPi, but OpenShift is something with legitimate community & corporate interest. I am also indirectly connected to Red Hat professionally, and I would discuss with them for you their interest in a Sponsor slot in order to get brand awareness. At a minimum, I could work to get you free licenses to test it out and could even provide cloud resources if necessary. I'm happy to even meet up with Jon to discuss this idea, since we're in the same area. PM me with any questions or concerns.

Short Circuit idea for Anthony:

BoxyPixel.com has some really gorgeous Gameboy / GBA / GBA SP replacement cases.

Milled aluminum cases, anodized colors, replacement buttons, triggers, etc.

Custom USB C Charge port for the now rechargable internal battery.  Support for either an AGS 101 screen, or a repalacement IPS Screen.

They look absolutely /sick/, and seems like something Anthony would love to play with

You just recently did the show about setting up your own home NAS.  I have often wondered about the power usage of an off the shelf NAS, using an old computer, or getting old server grade hardware to use for a NAS.  Since most people leave them on 24/7, I think that it is import to know how much more power usage one might have over another option.  It might also be something that will vary with what additional things you are doing on it (Docker containers, PLEX, etc...)?  How much storage there is on the server, i.e. if you are only running 2 drives.  What about if you are running 2 spinning disks versus 2 SSD's.  Does the software running on it matter, i.e. running Windows versus running FreeNas.  There are many variations that would be great to run.  And not just "instantaneous" power, but power over a week or month, since sleep time on drives might impact things.  I would love for some of the larger 5-12 drive enclosures being included

I know there are a lot of variables here, but it would not be hard to do a few tests in groups "ok we will test all three main types of NAS with spinning disks, and compare, then swap out to SSD's...  "  

I know I could really use this information but there is no way that I could go out and buy all the needed hardware to test, but I know I need to expand my current setup.  

Thanks

Matt

11 hours ago, BigPH23 said:

Hi LTT and everyone,

long story short. my dad died last year and he had three laptops in his apartment that I found when cleaning it out but he never gave me his new passwords so I've had these sitting in my closet for almost a year trying to figure out a way to unlock them without losing the data on them because I know he was writing a book about his life or something and articles for work and one of his friends keeps asking about it because he wants to help finish it for him but I can't get to it. So my hope is maybe for a video you could help me unlock a widows laptop or if you don't want to make a video for security reasons you could just give me some advice on how to unlock them without losing the data on them

This was went over in this video. Alternatively, just pull the HDD out of the laptop, put it in an external drive dock and find the files. 

If you were to blend the PC or No PC and Celebrity Tech Trivia: Have 1 - 3 viewers answer (in person or virtually) tech questions. The "amount" they win then is turned in for PC parts, merch, or ultimate prizes being entire builds.

1 viewer: Who wants to be a millionaire style.
3 Viewers: Tech Trivia / Jeopardy style.

I would love to see Linus do a video with myself doing a live stream from Canada and Australia doing a ROG Rigboot, me directing Linus on the build would be so informational but also fun and entertaining for viewers. Hahahahaha That or a $5000 Intel upgrade would be the ultimate if he would like to fly to Australia or do via a steam. just getting into PC gaming from console has me amped to get a sick awesome system or living room/gaming room setup going where it is all synced with PC dominating overall and to have somewhat of a future proof system for at least 3 years. 

Going from console to PC also a video on what to expect when signing up to all the different gaming clients like riot games, Steam, Epic games etc, etc. It can be quite confusing when converting so a video on what to expect and also how to make it easier when signing up to everything and how to organise folders for games to quickly and easily oad while using controllers, any controller as well. 

A full run down from Linus of converting from console to PC like i have done myself at age 35. WHOAH what an experience but a good one I am glad I have made. 

Hey,

so with the new found love of testing cables for snake oil products and what not. Any chance we could get a video of the real world effects of have an Ethernet cable run alongside a power cable and what cat rating (if any) makes it negligible. I am running new powerpoints in my house and Ethernet ports but I want them in the same outlet. 

I live in Australia though we’re everything is illegal including putting data next to power and I just want to know how much I should or shouldn’t care about this law. And with 240vac what cat cable I need to make the interference from power negligible if possible. 

Me and a friend made the ultimate gaming pc for the special someone this holiday season... It may just be the best computer ever. 

I think Linus should re-create the build in a video😂

Here are the specs from PcPartpicker

This proves the Canadian education is failing high school students- It could be the worst computer for 5000$

The Ultimate gaming Pc for that special somone.pdf

I just built my first custom PC with the Hrydro X custom water loop by corsair thanks to the video you guys made about it. Now my idea is I kind of wanted to take it a step further. I want to figure out a way to incorporate dry ice, or some kind of cooling system to the water loop. I think that may be a fun idea for a video to explore. I have access to a lot of dry ice and I've personally been thinking of way I could I use that to help cool the system even further. My main concern would be the temperature threshold for the water tubes (Rubber) and the plastic on the water pump. As you may know dry ice maintains a temperature of - 80 Degrees Celsius, so some freezing could occur. Which could damage the pump, and the tubes, but there has to be a way to accomplish this ridiculousness.

Current Hard Ware I am using:

corsair crystal 680x Case

Custome Hydro X water loop 2 stage

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

M.2 Water cooling block

Liquid Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT Ultimate

On 12/14/2021 at 2:53 AM, BigPH23 said:

Hi LTT and everyone,

Not LTT related, but you remove the HDD, from the laptops and access them through a external hard drive dock. Try that to see if it helps.

It would be so good to see Linus try to get another record with the GPU overclocking and even CPU by using Nitrogen as a cooling method of the water or even direct. It could be ran from a Nitrogen tank with sleeves covering the water lines. This would remove air conditioning being needed and any form of major power. You could use a solenoid valve and a thermostat of some sort to sense temperature and apply a certain amount of Nitrigen through the solenoid to the sleeves to ensure the lines are kept chilled the entire time. This could be tested in so many ways to get temps low and boost clock speeds. 

Linus, I am an avid Linux user who is more than capable of holding my own in a super overcomplicated operating system setup. However, through my years of trying different Linux operating systems, desktop environments, and computer hardware configurations, the one Linux I consistently recommend to new users, people with slow computers, and gamers is Zorin OS. It is extremely stable, comes with Nvidia drivers in the same installer, has an excellent and super simple user interface. It is super easy to customize and running Windows programs is usually as easy as double clicking a .exe file. It has a working graphical store and is dead easy to use. It’s based on Ubuntu meaning it is very stable and has good support. It also has the easiest installation experience ever. 

I know you may be a little jaded from what a terrible experience you’ve had. I don’t blame you. What a terrible and painful experience. But this is a piece of software that I truly believe in. I’ve installed it on an old lady’s computer once and she had only ever used Windows. It was like second nature to her. I’ve given it to a complete newbie and they now use it for running all their Steam games with Nvidia graphics and they love it. No weird program names, no overcomplicated user interface, all the desktop utilities you need out of the box. Extremely stable and frequently updated.

Please give this OS a shot so you can see how good a polished Linux experience can be. They have a free version and a paid version. They are the same but you get a couple extra desktop styles in the paid version and it helps support their development. Again, out of all the Linux variants I’ve tried, this is by far the most user friendly and polished experience I’ve ever had.