Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Configuring HDR Monitors. (Why Are mine looking OVER SATURDATED)
USB-C Monitors would also be great.
How do I use the Single Cable USB-C with my Graphics Cards (Is Dongles the only way)?!?

Step by Step for HDR Screens and setups would be great (Talking for Content Creators and Print Graphics).

Meme build idea! Reminded me of the Threadripper 1920x and GTX 1080 build. 

Intel Celeron G6900 paired with a Z690 motherboard and AMD's RX6900XT

Hello all,

I was just wondering if you could look into the M15 R5 and the over heating issues? I have found a reddit form that says some buyers of this laptop have disassembled and uncovered the fact that the heatsink is not making full contact with the CPU when they first remove and replace heatsink for repasting or using liquid metal. I just bought my M15 R5  (Ryzen 9 5900HX - RTX 3070) last month and just experienced a hard crash and reset while playing Death Standing. I had my fans at full speed and was using a laptop cooling pad as well but my temps were still 101c before the crash. I'm not totally sure that heat was a total suspect but since it's new I can't say for sure. I didn't buy a 2000 dollar gaming laptop just to role back the performance settings to keep it stable, its kinda defying the point. Here is the link to the form. 

I'm wondering if this is truly a problem as well as a manufacturing error and can it be resolved at home with hands on tinkering or not.

Thank you guys for all you do!

Idea for LTT Labs (Linus Labs? Linus Tech Labs? Linus Lab Tech?) regarding Phone batteries and could possibly extend in to software usage.

Grab multiple (need at least 2) of the same phone at launch.  Do a control test for battery life and performance/feel.  Give one of the phones to someone on the Linus Media Group Team to daily drive for the next year(s)+.  The other one leave in the package without any updates or do whatever you need to the phone that best preserves the battery life over long term without use.  Then revisit the phones at the 1 year mark, 1 and a half years, etc.  Test the old unused phone for what its battery life is, don't update it or anything.  Do a whole rigamarole of tests comparing performance of battery life, performance and feel of the phone software, etc.

Would help catch those phone makers who are intentionally making the experience of old phones worse to coerce upgrades and causing more e-waste.

I don't think I've seen you guys talk about this:
Intel® Neural Compute Stick 2 (Intel® NCS2)
It's not the little Intel PC Stick. It's a USB device for AI purposes. Very neat.

image.png.25915fb44972c6f980f8fd83fb2f0229.png

A Plug and Play Development Kit for AI Inferencing

• Build and scale with exceptional performance per watt per dollar on the Intel® Movidius™ Myriad™ X Vision Processing Unit (VPU)
  • Start developing quickly on Windows® 10, Ubuntu*, or macOS*
  • Develop on common frameworks and out-of-the-box sample applications
  • Operate without cloud compute dependence
  • Prototype with low-cost edge devices such as Raspberry Pi* 3 and other ARM* host devices
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/neural-compute-stick/overview.html

I've even got an extra one if you want me to ship it to you.

Love you guys. Hope you have a super fantastic day!

Spencer

Would probably have to be a labs thing due to the obscene amount of work required but similar to the Gaming PCs over the ages a cost of PC gaming throughout the years would be interesting. lots of ways to approach it with fixed games and fixed resolutions to the most played games of those years at resolutions that are indicative of the tech most people are running at those periods in time. Would also need to account for driver differences over the years and other nonsense like that.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

I don't know if you want to do any more videos about mice, but I found myself trying really hard to keep my mousepad clean, and then realised I don't even know if it matters at all.  

I don't know if this affects other people, but I would like to see a video (maybe a techquickie) using your mousemat testing rig to compare the performance between a few levels of dirty mousepads and a brand new one, to see if it is really important to keep it clean.  

Come to the UK, check out our amazing stock for GPUs and then watch an incompetent 13 year old build a pc 

Probably a long shot but since Linus did the video about buying an inventory full of old computer stuff and the 2005 Gigabyte water cooling system, It would be interesting to see you guys make some kind of enthusiast kind of gaming pc from that day with all of those weird and wacky stuff from early 2000 it would be interesting to see how enthusiast gaming pc look and perform back then

and another weird suggestion is to make a full watercooled pc, not just cpu and gpu watercooled but all the components that can be watercooled, like you guys made a video about watercooled ssd and psu, it would be curious to see how awful and incovenient it is and it would be interesting how it compare to a traditional air cooled system

Edited by ToasterBoogaloo

Recently I decided to try wireless charging for my AirPods, which I purchased a few years ago. I bought an iPhone 13, which also supports wireless charging. I tried a Chinese Qi charger and Apple's original charger and had an unpleasant surprise. Wireless charging actually heats up the devices. AirPods Pro case is getting so hot that the AirPods inside are feels uncomfortable in the ears. I asked this question on Quora and received a couple of responses saying that this is to be expected. I wonder why nobody made a video abut it? It would be interesting to check how hot the AirPods become after begin charged fro some time. Same for iPhone and other phones.

1: Tool boxes or other options
All my tech stuff is getting a bit out of hand and I tried looking for a toolbox or something to put it all in.... but one of the major problems I am finding is tool boxes don't seem to have the small parts trays like they use to for storing screws and such.
I know linus has shown off his backpack in a video a while ago.... but maybe a video on an actual tool box and/or what other people at LTT to for their tech kits

2: Kinda a pimp my setup type thing
Other than a graphics card and case my computer is pretty good.... but my mic, webcam and most of all my displays (one of them has a TON of dead pixels) and desk could REALLY use an upgrade. In the past I have had no problem just throwing my hat in to a giveaway.... but this last year with everything being so screwed up I haven't even tried because I know there are a lot of people that suddenly NEED a computer for working at home or schooling - And I just really need the peripherals. 

I will be renovating my home office next month and plan to get myself a new monitor and soundbar.  My budget for the two items is approx $500 CAD (combined).

In an effort to get some ideas for both, I spent some time searching Amazon this past weekend.  Obviously, there are many choices for both.  Almost too many to make a confident decision

I checked various websites for "best Monitor under $YYY.000" and again there are lots of reviews and lists, but some of the info I saw made me skeptical.  I have concerns that some reviewers are biased (aka..trying to promote a specific product line).

Sooo, I jumped on youtube today to see what LTT has for Best Monitor under $250 etc....  To my surprise, there was nothing current/relevant.  Nothing current/relevant for soundbars either.

Soo, I have suggestion for LTT:

Please create a video series that reviews and compares common accessories that are budget friendly.  Update it regularly (perhaps on a quarterly basis?).  Ideally something that the average Viewer can watch and use the info to help make an educated decision.  In my case, I'd like to see a reviews of the top 5 budget friendly monitors currently available in the market....  Soundbars too!

It would be even better if it's not limited to Amazon since I like to support the "local store" whenever possible.

Thanks!

Good news.

Just give it time. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

LTT isn't the only game in town. In fact, I rarely see them as the go-to for that type of information. For monitors, that's Hardware Unboxed. For coolers and cases, Gamers Nexus. For laptops, Jarrod's Tech.

There are tons of great tech channels that offer excellent buying advice and in-depth reviews.

18 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

LTT isn't the only game in town. In fact, I rarely see them as the go-to for that type of information. For monitors, that's Hardware Unboxed. For coolers and cases, Gamers Nexus. For laptops, Jarrod's Tech.

There are tons of great tech channels that offer excellent buying advice and in-depth reviews.

Absolutely true.  However, it is the first one that came to mind.   

I'm not a daily viewer of tech videos by any means, but I have been following on and off since the early LTT days.  Heck, I even remember some of the NCIX stuff.  It was good and relevant.

I just find it very surprising that there is no current info on something as simple as a monitor.  It's why I made the suggestion. 

I can't be the only person who wants to buy a decent monitor and soundbar without spending excessive amounts of money.

1 minute ago, Cleveland612 said:

Absolutely true.  However, it is the first one that came to mind.   

I'm not a daily viewer of tech videos by any means, but I have been following on and off since the early LTT days.  Heck, I even remember some of the NCIX stuff.  It was good and relevant.

I just find it very surprising that there is no current info on something as simple as a monitor.  It's why I made the suggestion. 

I can't be the only person who wants to buy a decent monitor and soundbar without spending excessive amounts of money.

I agree that LTT could make more of that type of content, but I'm not sure how likely that is. They seem more interested in product showcases than reviews these days.

But like I said, you're in luck when it comes to monitors at least. Just a couple months ago, Hardware Unboxed did an updated monitors video:

Tim is excellent at monitor reviews. In fact, I'm typing this in front of the Gigabyte M27Q pictured in the thumbnail and purchased based on Tim's recommendation early last year. It is an excellent monitor and I'm very happy with the work Tim and Steve do at HUB to help me make better purchasing decisions.

30 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Yeah hardware unboxed is honestly probably the best when it comes to monitors reviews as they do a ton of them and can easily compare them. I always like to look at their best monitors of whatever year it is when trying to see what monitors are worth buying. Honestly LTT is great in the fact that they are really good at giving an overview of things but I find that they aren't as in depth as some other youtube channels. That's not to say that LTT doesn't do a good job its just targeted towards different audiences as some of the more technical indepth reviews can be confusing for some. 

There are many other channels and sites filling this niche.

In general I do not consider LTT a good source for serious reviews.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

@Cleveland612 I have merged your thread into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'm building a new personal gaming system that I think might be right up LTT's alley as it's fairly crazy and IMO interesting.  Also it's inspired by an LTT video from 2017.

Here's the video it's inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbcD248n4Y

The system I'm building has even more radiator capacity (5x Alphacool triple 180mm monsta radiators)  (The 2017 video looks to have had 120mm x 18 standard thickness radiator capacity, which 120mm x18 would be 259,200 mm^s of radiator area and 180mm x15 is 486,000 mm^2)

I already have the radiators, the reservoir, the pumps, the fittings, and the computer components. 

I've also had custom panels made for mounting things (2x single radiator panels, 1x triple radiator panel, a triple 200mm Fan mounting panel, and currently in the works are the door panel and the top panel which will mount the PSU and Mobo with the Mobo hanging down into the case)

Just waiting on the GPU water block from EKWB.

For the main computer parts I already have them and I for now put a Noctua cooler on the CPU as I wanted to confirm nothing was DOA and use the system while I work on finishing the case.

The main computer components are also fairly crazy. (some more than others.)

CPU Ryzen 5950X

Ram 4x Kingston Server Primer 32GB ECC 3200GT

PSU Corsair AX1600i

NIC (because the onboard NIC uses chipset PCIe lanes and I wanted all of the off load features) Mellanox MCX621102AC-ADAT

Motherboard ASrock Taichi X570 (not very crazy but it's one of the few I could get confirmation that it supports ECC and I want ECC)

Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe

GPU (likely the craziest item and why it's taking longer to get the waterblock) RTX A6000

Here's some pictures of it.

ATM the biggest hold up to it's completion is that I'm crap at cutting glass tubes, I did find a site that I can order custom length glass tubes from, though it seems on the first set (the radiator to radiator connections I messed up and they're slightly to short so I'm going to have to order more before I even get the reservoir mounted and can start figuring the tube length for the remaining parts.

Well anyway I was thinking this system might be interesting to be an LTT video, please don't flame me for some of the insanity of it.  BTW I plan to be using this system for at least the next 5-8 years, I built my prior system in 2010 though this is my first custom water loop system.

New-Gaming-PC.jpg

Custom-Case.jpg

Anthony reviewing latest AmigaOS or at least MorphOS. I know he'd like that too!

amigaos_screenshot.png

morphos_desktop.png

Something I cant seem to find a video on that I struggled with building my PC is RGB control.

A video on connectors, softwares and compatibility would be really nice. Maybe you could even include a section on how to DIY some of the controllers with something like the Corsair Lighting Protocol.