Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

hello linus, if it is possible can you redo this video, if it doesn't work, it's ok

Untitled-18.png

Dumb idea but how about a liquid cooled computer using orange juice instead of water, just to check the thermals

1 minute ago, Luremanden said:

But what about the Display Port cable crowd?

SoonTM

I can't remember where it was mentioned (last weeks WAN show maybe?) but a video testing DisplayPort cables is coming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hey, Linus Tech Tips Team!

We were interested in seeing if you wanted to review our JAMMIX IO board for MiSTer. 

We are looking for feedback and coverage on our currently released production units of JAMMIX.  

JAMMIX is the complete solution for users that want an ITX form factor or a JAMMA edge for MiSTer.

We believe that JAMMIX solves many of the issues that most users face with MiSTer's current IO boards. The JAMMIX allows users to easily build MiSTer to their needs. 

We have built JAMMIX to support many PC standards, arcade standards and power options:
  • ITX board dimensions with mounting holes for use in ITX/ATX cases 
  • Power Options: 24 pin ATX PSU 5v 2.5mm DC connectors 
  • 2 x Standard internal USB headers
  • Mounting holes for 2.5" hard drive
  • Arcade Harnesses, JAMMA, CHAMMA, MVS, and CPS2 Kick
A full list of the specifications for JAMMIX can be found at our webpage http://JAMMIX.io

Our team is a fan of your channel and felt that you and members of your team were a great fit to critically review JAMMIX because of the knowledge you all have for computers, consoles and retro gaming. We also think you might be able to build an incredible set up for JAMMIX and MiSTer. 

We would be happy to send you a returnable demo unit of JAMMIX in a console like ITX case complete with a DE10 FPGA and set up for MiSTer.

Please let us know if you have any interest in covering and reviewing JAMMIX.  

Kind regards,

The JAMMIX Team 
http://JAMMIX.io

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.png

Sub zero cooler with a reusable design.

FAO: I'm sorry but I'm not a native english speaker... Please forgive my mistakes.

What I suggest is a sub zero cooled machine without the black tapes, vaseline or any other isolator. With these stuff you are solving the wrong problem. Your problem not the air, but the water. If there is no water in the air, nothing can condense.  But how to solve it? I think we all have the solution at home in small paper bags. All have the same text on it: "Do not eat!"

I suggest a big normal air pressured but sealed box, with a lots of silace gel in it. Look the attached picture. With this design I think you can remove all of the water from the air, so you can cool the cpu and gpu (any other parts) with a normal water coolers atteched, without the ugly isolation things. So it can be shown on video...

Make the box with a big detachable back, replace the motherboard the cpu anything, close it, switch on the fans and call it a day. Let it be running overnight, or for an hour and  you can cool it with -50 C coolant without condamsation. (I think you just need some big pmma panel, and machines you already have to do it.)

Can you beat any records in it? No? Than you can switch part easily and try again... SubZero-showcase.thumb.png.45745f5b4fe3158ef5c30406c6ccfeea.png

Ps: If you want you can block the side(s) but I think it's more fancy with silica gel crystals and RGB lights.

Edited by Istvan Juhasz
typo

Hello LTT Team, 

I recently heard that Innosilicon had partnered with Imagination Technologies, and showed two new consumer graphic cards on the fantasy one, called Type A with 16GB, and Type B with 32 GB. It would be great to see (if you can get your hands on it) whether or not they can hold their own against Nvidia and AMD. 

Thanks for all the work! 

All the best, 

Ben

type b.webp

type a.webp

Hi team,

Been binging all the recent videos today and they've been fantastic. 

The quick backstory is that I've given my father my old rig with a GTX980 then come to a crossroads on what games to recommend him to play and thought this might be an interesting video idea for us to get to know the cast a bit better. Video might have parts of the following?

• Each participating cast member gives two video game recommendations: one personal rec/favorite game and another for first time gamers and/or games that run well on a budget. Might be both since I'm sure many cast members' favorite games could be fairly old. 
  • Things each member does to help boost their performance whether it's some diy hacksaw job or a sleek desk map to put their mouse on.

I feel like a video that helps people feel better about having a weaker rig because of the current shortages would be a nice addition (although you did cover this at some point when you mentioned the 970 as a benchmark in a video whose name I can't remember)

I'd love to see a holiday 2021 buyers guide. With all the supply chain chaos it's really hard to know what a good deal even looks like right now. 

Build 3 computers: one with a 1080, one with a 2080 and one with a 3080 using motherboards and CPUs from the year those GPUs came out 

Then compare 1080p gaming with Shadow of the Tomb Raider

The Appropriate Gaming PC.

My argument is, and it always has been since my first FULL PC build, the 5930k and a Titan Black Superclock(I was robbed from Nvidia) that to build a PC you want the intention that you are going to add or replace components in a eggy kind of market style. So what you would do is buy fairly cheap to then replace later, doesn't matter if you have a compatible motherboard or not, its a matter of following the market... so, to start small and to have a keen eye for prediction.. 

The two perfect starter PCs I have had in mind and in mind today are these two specifications... 

10600k.             11600k

1660ti                 2060(super or not)

16GBs RAM       16GBs RAM 

120hz + screen.

These have generally phased out already meaning I would sell the first one if I were apart of the hedonistic workforce durring a lingering pandemic. 

Essentially these PCs would be by  adjusted settings crush a 60-120hz console. I would like to invite for free, Linus Tech Tips to develope a video about what the choice "Market Console Crusher" would be and the only rules would be is to not get the top of the line equipment, AND retain a respectable resale value. WITH having more frames on any setting than say the XBOX X/S or PS5. And I guess** I'll throw a budget in there of a Cornhole $2700 including monitor, keyboard, mouse and mousepad, And Windows, AND headphones.(Before mining and microchip shortage, but not bestbuy prices) 

NEW PARTS

It's basically the ultimate consumer build. 

Goodluck if you want. 

Arduous aka an Arduousspec PC 

Bonus, if you can find the second tier other than a starter PC that you think is currently reasonable for resale. Go right ahead. 

PS. Please blow their minds. And or continue what you do. All because this is currently my favorite establishment.

8 minutes ago, Arduous11213 said:

The Appropriate Gaming PC.

I've merged this to the thread for suggesting LTT video ideas.

Seems like building a gaming PC for $2700 that could beat a console isn't really much of a fair fight. Would be more interesting if you had to beat consoles and be cheaper than the consoles.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

You should do a video with comically large parts with this "case". RTX 3090 and an Ice Giant cooler. 

How about a topic about how Logitech has been lowering its products quality the longer they are on the market? Starting with high quality products, waiting for the reviews to come out and then cutting on production costs? I have some evidence of that..

I have two G413 keyboards, the first one is 4 years old, the CTRL key and spacebar switches died on me (Warframe was the culprit, if you play Warframe you know what I mean) so I got a new G413, he is around 6 months old now and the WASD are worn down, the S key is almost a white key and the moment I knew that they changed the manufacturing process was when I went to replace the keys from the old model to the newer one, the 4 year old G413 had pristine keys so I decided to trade them.. and they don't match the rest of the keyboard, they changed the keycaps

Other users are noticing the same on "older model" keyboards such as the G613, my guess is that they decided to cheap out on the coating used on the keys of older models (or the keycaps themselves) as no new reviews will be released for those models, another good example is the G Pro X Wireless headset.. first year of release, no complaints from anyone, now that all the reviews came out a lot of new buyers are noticing that the new batch of headsets are suffering from noticeable white noise. 

It is rather sad to see that from Logitech, I have a 15 year old G31 a and also quite old G35 and both still work flawlessly.. oh, and the new MX Keys are bugging out, the backlight sensor does not seem to work anymore and the keyboard will go on a never-ending paring mode when you turn off your computer.

Long Story Short: Compare hardware that Logitech released close to day one to the newer builds that are on the market right now, and you will stop a clear decrease in their production quality. I am EU citizen and we will have a minimum 3 year warranty next month so I am not that worried about my new MX Keys keyboard dying on me (although its been almost a month from the first time I contacted Logitech support about my G413.. the last e-mail was sent around a week ago and I am still waiting for a new reply from them)..

2021 VR Headset for Racing Simulation. it's so tought to choose one. There are so many differences in price and don't know whch one should be a great go to.

High performance computing clusters may be an interesting topic to dive into. It would build off the recent foray into desktop linux, and has relevancy to how computing has helped with the response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Particularly when combined with a workflow manager like Nextflow and containerized software, it can be fun to watch an HPC manager like SLURM dig through a large hunk of scientific data, and accomplish pretty impressive feats with even older commodity PCs.

I am an academic data scientist, and would be glad to help out on background with this, if there is interest.

image.thumb.png.09d372e8ad88a219fc0809ff5d472741.png

There's a very interesting piece of new hardware: SSDs with... an ethernet port?! They use NVMe-oF (NVMe over Fabrics). Might be something for another "crazy tech" video. They're made by Kioxia and called EM6. 

How about a Raid Rebuild Race? Use a variety of drives in Raid 1 to see how long it would take to rebuild 1TB or so. Hopefully estimates can then be determined for larger data. This could be useful information for server, NAS, or personal rigs. It can help determine whether a person chooses size over speed due to the cost. Perhaps there is a sweet spot for value given that speeds tend to slow down as drives get filled.

5400RPM vs. 7200RPM

10000RPM vs. 15000RPM

HDD vs. SSD

SATA vs. SAS

SATA 3GB/s vs. SATA 6GB/s

SAS 3GB/s vs. SAS 6GB/s vs. SAS 12GB/s

NVME Gen3 vs. NVME Gen4

As a game challenge with other creators, how about a CPU Pinout Roulette? Pins/Pads on CPUs have a variety of functions whether it be power or data. Sometimes they could be placeholders for future designs or perhaps they are used in a redundant way. Each turn, a challenger will break off a pin or cover the pad with tape or a dab of nail polish. The CPU then goes into the motherboard to test if it will post. This could go a handful of rounds though going against Gamers Nexus might be difficult given Steve's level of details.

I did have an AMD CPU years ago that was missing 3 pins and still worked. This challenge is probably less scary using older components. 

How about possible ways to update an older VR headsets with a new screen or lens for a reduced screen-door effect?

Have a god tier gaming laptop that I got my self as a well done gift for getting threw some tough stuff this year ( don’t want to get too personal ) but I was just lying in bed looking at it going I wonder if I could turn it into a super small form pc ,  but I don’t want to lose certain things like the power supply, some of the rgb, the monitor ( a whilling sacrifice in my opinion ) this is in no way a full explanation. A reply ether way would be really cool 1 saying yes ( obviously ) but 2 if it is a no a simple why. Aside from have a good night as it’s 23:15 ish over on my side of the pond ( SA based in UK )

Idea for a video. NEPgroup is a company that makes TV production trucks with a factory in Penn. They make some real cool shit, each of the trailers are over $5 million USD. Crammed full of tech, networking, tvs, audio, boards, servers and so much more. 
Cool idea for a studio/factory tour and something I could help with.

i7-7800x, 1080ti

An extremely dumb idea that might be very entertaining: How many usb devices you can actually plug in into single pc and they still gonna work, i know theoretical maximumum for 2.0 was 255 but real world probably will stop sooner. Does LTT office even have enough usb splitters and devices to fully kit out a single pc? You probably cant connect that many cameras to individual port, but mices or keyboards? any other usb devices? what will break first drivers windows or power delivery? i think it will be funny

A followup/ upgrade to the chiller video:

To minimize moisture formation on the mobo when subzero, place the mobo in a bin and displace all the air with a gas like Sulphur Hexaflouride. This gas is heavier than air and will thus displace any air around the mobo. It is also an electrical insulator and is used for arcing protection on high voltage systems.

If acquiring and using the gas is hard, it might be an opportunity to seek a collaboration with fellow Canadian chemistry Youtuber, NileRed.