Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Fit a macbook mini into a TV Case to make "THE MOST POWERFUL GAMING TV", yes i see the irony. 

Video Idea that came about from a conversation with some friends of mine. 

Take a TV and build into the back of it a full fledge gaming PC. Actually, placing the parts inside the back of the tv. Having opened up a couple of LCD to replace boards and power supplies should be enough room depending on the TV to fit in motherboard and GPU, Power supply might be harder do to shape. Cut some holes for cooling or water-cool it all because why not, and bam you have the world's first true "gaming TV".  Or I guess the world's largest all in one but I think they TV sells better personally.

Cool Idea would love to see it done personally.

I'd love to see more videos on mechanical keyboards. I've been in the keyboard community for 2 years, so I know a good amount about keyboard. I have a small YouTube channel about keyboards, and I'm near the Lower Mainland, so If you needed help in any way with executing these ideas let me know.

Anyways, here are some of the ideas I've thought of:

- A really expensive keyboard kit. The process of choosing all the parts, building it, modding the switches, lubing stabilizeres, etc... Something like a Keycult, Iron180, or Mode80 might be an exciting video (cause of the premium price). Something similar but possibly more practical and realistic than your all-metal keyboard video and shows the more in-depth process of modding the keyboard more. Your last few videos on building a keyboard seemed to do quite well.

- A review on the Keychron Q1 or Q2, even just on the Shortcircuit channel.

- A comparison of membrane vs mechanical. Are mechanicals really worth the higher price? Maybe talk about special membranes, like Topre.

- Updated best keyboards under in a certain price bracket. The mainstream keyboard industry has greatly changed since the last one, and buyers could benefit from a revised or improved video.

- Collaboration videos with the likes of Glarses, Hamaji Neo, etc... would be fun and interesting.

- Do mechanical keyboards/optical switches/lower weight switches improve gaming performance?

- How much does switch lubing/stabilizer lubing affect the sound and feel?

Edited by mooshmc
(added another idea)

would love to see a comparison between flagships and mid/low range products in things like home theatre stuff. Are manufacturers actually keeping product "families" using similar components or even similar software/UI?

I ran into this when trying out Samsung's soundbars, the Q950A and Q900A are identical but Q800 and 700 are so different it's like they aren't even from the same company let alone the same family of products. This happens so often it must show up in TVs, headphones etc and in much deeper ways than just to save cost on manufacturing.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I suggest this almost every year, "frosty the gamer". Sub-Zero air cooled gaming by piping the window air straight into the intake of the case (super easy video with minimal prep work, maybe need some anti-condensation prep for the CPU/GPU but no worse than AC cooled PC.)

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

In the WAN Show from January 7th there was a talk about Linus maybe switching from YT Music to Spotify and I would love to see a comparison of the major music streaming services from an LTT perspective.

Content could be things like:

- App comparisons (+integration/compatibility with TVs and stuff)

- Payment distribution to artists

- Comparison of automatic playlists and other ways to discover new content

- Technical specs like formats/bitrates and stuff

- maybe also a small part about migrating from service to service

- other content options (audio books, podcasts and stuff)

(- I would love to hear the perspective of artists on different platforms)

Personally, I've also migrated from Google Music to YT Music and later switched to Spotify.

At the same time, I would like to maybe take a look at Tidal (mostly since many artists I like promoted it).

1 week of gaming on ONLY PC + 1 week of ONLY gaming on console. To hear what is their experience?

Sorry I posted this somewhere else, but "Dell's Silent war on S3 Sleep State":

Bit Incendiary I know, but my new dell XPS 9710 (i9/rtx3060/32gb) seems to spontaneously wake up (A LOT) and drain its battery. Sometimes it happens to the point of "going critical" and becoming nuclear level hot. Last time i caught it trying to do so under a blanket after I swear i had put it to sleep. Turns out the culprit is Modern standby and every time users find a hack for it Dell seems to counterpunch. 

I've read about the CS<something, i'm lazy> registry hack, but that no longer works after win10 2004. Then came along "PlatformAoAcOverride" (got less lazy in 2 sentences), which seems to kill modern standby altogether. That's a win right? Not so much. Now (or at least with my 11th gen laptop). "powercfg.exe" maintains that "The system firmware does not support this state" for S3. So, the system not knowing what to do just dumps into Hibernate. Which maybe is where they (Windows/Dell) want us to go... but, why? Google searches for "disable modern standby" have countless results/complaints/solutions/etc. 

In many cases, individuals will put their computer to sleep, only to find out via powercfg.exe /sleepstudy that their laptop had woken up repeatedly without intervention and subsequently drained their battery to nothing within only a day or two. Nothing more earie than to go to sleep at night with your laptop off, only to wake up at 2am to your screen turning back on from across a dark room. 

Modern standby is such a horrible solution. Apple seems to implement it well, but Windows - or just Dell - is doing a completely horrible job at it. Putting your laptop to sleep in s0(modern standby) is downright dangerous. Imagine you put your beast of a laptop with a 99Wh battery in your Eskimo backpack in the back of your Pinto for the Holiday cross-country trip. Next thing you know all the sweaters you knitted for the relatives have caught fire and you find yourself on the side of highway admitting to authorities that the TSA might actually be right to be paranoid about lithium batteries in checked-in bags (because... you know, S0 time bombs). 

Do they want to subtly force us to use hibernate instead, thus improving battery life, but killing our ssds? What is their end game? 

A 2019 article said that "Dell is going to bring back S3" - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-is-reportedly-working-to-bring-back-S3-sleep-to-the-XPS-15-9570.416301.0.html but... where is it?

A more modern article with complaints is here, and while the author hides originally the brand of laptop he had problems with, he links to his original rant in the r/Dell - wasn't surprised.  https://therightstuff.medium.com/an-investigation-into-my-new-laptops-stubborn-refusal-to-sleep-8575ccdcfc2 . 

If there is anyone that can figure out what is really going on here, its you guys. I made an account literally to just post this one thing. Again, I'm lazy.

Maybe there's a reason S0 Modern Standby is good that we just don't know about. Or maybe someone with a little weight behind them (not Linus, he looks like a buck 20 wet😄 j/k ) could force Dell and Microsoft's hand(s)? 

There is definitely a story here, and I think someone with the knowledge and skills like LTT could turn it into an expose - or simply to educate us to why things "are the way they are".

I have a GTX 770 in my possession that was meant for my first beginner gaming pc but ran into a very odd problem. The card seems to think that it's a Grid K2. Every connection is right and I've brought the problem up on many tech forums and it seems no one else has ever had this problem and even forum admins/moderators had no idea what to do. I've tried deleting drivers, changing PCIE slots, even used the command line a few times, and i even reinstalled windows just in case. If you guys wanted to check it out for a video I'd be happy to send it or even the whole pc if you really want, seeing as there's no videos or even google search results about this problem. I would just like to help out anyone in the future that  has a problem like this and I think you guys over at LTT have the best knowledge and informative skills to make a video on it. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this, 

Jadon C.

How about a video showing how game graphics quality  has improved over the years in games depending on the system you were running at the time.

Specifically - start from anywhere - 2000 - 2000 - 2010 and show what was considered high/ultra graphics and compare this to what we have not with high end systems.

My reason for this - I have had my first PC (1988) when in my country the 286 was available - I have been playing games since then... (before a mouse was a thing) - 

I have upgraded when I could over the years to newer tech - 386 - 486 - Pentium 4 - Dual Core - Quad Core - i3 - i5 - i7.... then i series going up the generations when affordable.

Currently I am not on a great PC - 9th Gen i5 with 16GB Ram and a GTX 960 2GB and a 250GB SSD for boot and current game(s) - with a 3TB Sata HDD for storage ... I recently played Cyberpunk 2077, Assasins Creed Valhalla, everspace 2, forza 5, horizen zero dawn, RDR2, The Witcher Enhanced and Halo Infinate in Campaign mode - Graphics was on low but for me was playable and I did not have an issue with frame rate or quality - Yes I am older so for me was good to be able to play at any setting.

I don't see me doing anything on Ultra with 4K on a 3090 anytime soon... 

but as above - games around 2010 on high/ultra - look the same if not worse that current releases on med/low.... So without the younger new generation of PC gamers demanding the ultra stuff - a video - comparing good older games 2010 and maybe before on high and ultra to the latest games on low/medium now.... 

Something us older gamers not running the latest tech could enjoy... and relate to... 

I would love to see LTT do a video on the coming 'Axzez interceptor' board for raspberry pi 4. 5x Sata ports, 4x gb ethernet and support for standard PSU in a small form factor. Looks interesting IMO!

Hi guys,

I have been working for the same company for a couple of years now. So long that my own personal computer is really out of date (I had it for many years before joining this company, I do everything on my company computer now so there is no real reason for me to buy a new one). I would really like to get back into gaming but I can’t be installing games without admin permission on my work laptop. Can I get around this via an external ssd or some other way? What is the best way to run games on my work pc without the admins having to step in? There is no video online for this so I really need your help here 😖. I’m not going to purchase a new computer just for this so I really really really need your help!

All the best,

viktor Andri

hello LMG team, 

I was wondering if it is possible to use a laptop GPU (MXM) in a desktop with a special adapter (well it is technically possible but there is little info about it, how to do it or if it makes sense)

I posted it on reddit, and as you can see most people want to see it too. 

The thing is, the adapters are quite expensive and you might as well get a normal GPU, the idea is to do it cheaply, so maybe get a Janky adapter "thingamajiggy" and do a vid about it,

You can get an MXM version of a GPU way cheaper than a Pci express x16 GPU.

P.S. get a few of the adapters and GPU-s, because it may now work the first try.

thanks 

1 hour ago, MrVicKara said:

Hi guys,

I have been working for the same company for a couple of years now. So long that my own personal computer is really out of date (I had it for many years before joining this company, I do everything on my company computer now so there is no real reason for me to buy a new one). I would really like to get back into gaming but I can’t be installing games without admin permission on my work laptop. Can I get around this via an external ssd or some other way? What is the best way to run games on my work pc without the admins having to step in? There is no video online for this so I really need your help here 😖. I’m not going to purchase a new computer just for this so I really really really need your help!

All the best,

viktor Andri

boot from a linux usb, and download some games. (Linux variants). you wont need an admin permission 

Can you make a video comparing Malware Bytes and Bitdefender on how much system resources they use & their virus protection.

I currently use bitdefender but I have heard you talk about Malware Bytes.

compare chinese bough parts to western bought parts and see if theres a difference.

In a recent video, you showed how the smoke goes around the inside, then vented out the back... but what would happen to the temps and the smoke if both the front and back blew out while the a fan was installed on the side and was sucking the air in?

Or just a mesh filter by the GPU/CPU letting air come in from the side while the air is getting blown out from the front and back maybe? ... better than leaving the side panel off lol

Can you PLEASE make a video where Linus reviews the new Samsung Freestyle.

New Samsung Freestyle projector/360 speaker

Does anyone else want to see a video where Linus reviews the new Samsung Freestyle? I think its a really cool piece of tech that I really want to see him review.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Does refresh rate impact GPU performance/cooling?  I've never seen this addressed.  As 240Hz and higher monitors come on to the market, then you think about driving them at 4K or 1440p ultrawide, and that's a lot of pixels to push.  Does this impact the performance of the GPU?

Or to put this another way, if I drive a monitor at 360Hz, do I have to change GPU settings from Ultra to High to compensate?  Or is pushing pixels always so much easier than transforming triangles and tesselating textures that you never need to worry about it?  (See I even gave you some nice alliterations for your video script.)

Editing to clarify that there's multiple aspects of this trrade-off.  For any given GPU there is obviously trade-off between frame-rate and detail (which bears further exploring).  But I'm interested to know if this is purely maximum computations per second limit, or is it a cooling limit or even a power limit also?  What's the baseline power and cooling measurements for a GPU doing nothing except pushing out frames at a variety of different frame rates?  Are some GPUs better at this (efficient pixel pushing) than others?

I noticed in LTT's recent Linus goes into a real girl's bedroom - Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade video Linus got her powerline adapters to use instead of WiFi. I actually have the same issue with my setup being in a basement. I use MoCa adapters to more efficiently get a hardwired internet connection. They are way better than powerline and can travel longer distances through a home without loosing any internet speeds. They only Cons are they are slightly more expensive, require a little more knowledge to set up with a PoE filter. The latency is only marginally more than using straight Ethernet from what I understand, but would love to see it tested and the results shared in a LTT Video as well as an easy guide/explanation on how to use them for the Viewers! I think its is a way better alternative for people in the same situation. 

On 1/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, Julian Mathis said:

New Samsung Freestyle projector/360 speaker

Does anyone else want to see a video where Linus reviews the new Samsung Freestyle? I think its a really cool piece of tech that I really want to see him review.

I would like to support that notion!

The Samsung Freestyle isn't being sold right now (as far as I am aware, it will be available around March?), so unless Samsung approach Linus, I am guessing we are not going to see that video soon, but one can hope.

It's interesting how Samsung are marketing this - as a very mobile replacement for a TV - and to me it sounds a bit too good to be true. Besides, I don't know how well 1080p measures up today as a display resolution even for a low budget TV set, so I'll be very eager to see what LTT's team will say.

Would great to review one of these secure workstation/desktop (IBM POWER9 CPU):  https://www.raptorcs.com/content/TL2WK2/intro.html, https://www.raptorcs.com/content/BK1SD1/intro.html

it even includes firmwares being open-source from what I sawhttps://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/OpenPOWER_Firmware

Without forgetting the ultimate 20$ screwdriver, of course: https://www.raptorcs.com/content/TL2HD1/intro.html

I didn't see it much any videos on it and it's an interesting product compared to others hardware.

A video about printers. Scan, fax. Im losing my god damn mind with these things. I just want to find a printer that I can use without their awful app, and use generic ink. like..a framework printer. Hp wont even scan a document without signing up for their app. now they did a forced online update that wont let us use generic ink anymore. theres gotta be a not evil printer company out there somewhere. I just want a quality Print,scan,fax combo that I can use without having to constantly buy proprietary crap, and sign up and download an app. PLEASE

hp.jpg

Hi Linus,

May you please run a test on the thread ripper pro 3995wx. i have the same processor [ an RTX 3090 and 128gigs of 3200mhz ram] the CPU gets very slow when I'm running Corona IR in 3ds max.

Best Regards