Google is Discontinuing Unlimited Storage for All Education Customers

wall03

Summary

Google is changing everyone (everyone being Education customers) over to an 100TB pooled storage model

Quotes

We recently announced a new storage model, which provides schools and universities with a baseline of 100 TB of pooled storage shared across all users. The new model provides enough storage for over 100 million documents, 8 million presentations, or 400,000 hours of video. This policy will go into effect across all Google Workspace for Education editions for existing customers in July 2022 and will be effective for new customers signing up in 2022. For details, see the blog announcement.

What does “pooled storage” mean?

Pooled storage is shared storage across all of your users for everything in their accounts, including but not limited to files from Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. For details, go to How Google Workspace storage works.

When will Google be enforcing this new storage policy?

This policy will go into effect across all Google Workspace for Education editions for existing customers in July 2022 and will be effective for new customers signing up in 2022. However, to help you manage this change, we will launch new settings to help you see and manage your organization’s storage usage.

What do I do if I need more storage?

Institutions with greater than 20,000 students, faculty, and staff or 20,000 active users that follow our Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy will be provided with additional storage. This process will roll out by the end of 2021.

Google has traditionally offered unlimited storage to qualifying schools and universities for free. However, as we’ve grown to serve more schools and universities each year, storage consumption has also rapidly accelerated. Storage is not being consumed equitably across —  nor within — institutions, and school leaders often don't have the tools they need to manage this. To support schools into the future and ensure fair distribution of this valuable resource, we will be implementing a new pooled storage model and helping admins and school leaders manage their storage. Nothing is changing today and we expect that more than 99% of institutions will be within the pooled storage provided by the new policy.

We’re investing even further in Google Workspace for Education with dozens of new features on the way to support the needs of institutions. For example, saved drafts in Google Forms are coming to Education Fundamentals and Google Meet meeting transcripts are coming to the Teaching and Learning Upgrade. Education Plus will get both these features, as well as Classroom roster syncing. Stay tuned for more news throughout 2021.

My thoughts

Storage isn't free... but cmon!

Sources

1. Read about changes to the storage policy - Google Workspace Admin Help

Google Workspace for Education - The Keyword (blog.google)

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Ah yes, the good ol' bait and switch

Never fails

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

As a school IT technician, this sounds like a fun possible new wrinkle.  I'm now curious how much total space is now being used across my entire district, especially with the majority of our students currently on Chromebooks and soon the rest moving to Chrome tablets...

Current Personal Rig

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Corsair H60 AIO   MB: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 (2x16)  GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC Gaming  PSU: EVGA 750GQ Semi-Modular  Storage: 500 GB WD Black M.2 NVMe + 1 TB 2.5" SSD  WiFi: TP-Link Archer TX3000E  Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mini  Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired  Monitor: Gigabyte G27FC 27"

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Sounds reasonable if 99% institutions really are within the pool size (assuming not 100% used).
People are learning the hard way that cloud = postponing issues. 

how long before "on prem is the future" again? Lol

it's like a cycle

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

how long before "on prem is the future" again? Lol

it's like a cycle

It is, companies run great rates to get you locked in, then each renewal cost more and more.  But what are you going to do? Pay the slightly higher cost or pay a lot up front to move and risk data loss? 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

Honestly I’m not surprised that they’re doing this. I had a friend back in high school who uploaded 100GB+ of Blu-ray rips to their school Google account since it had unlimited storage.

That being said, for a college of around 50,000 students and faculty this equates to roughly 2GB per user... I seriously don’t get why they’re allocating space for all users instead doing it per user.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

And my old high school still just does things the old fashioned way - their own dedicated server with proper tape backup. With a server setup exclusively for the 2-3 rooms that have (or had when I was there) iMacs and Macbooks (good old Leopard + Core 2 Duo).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, JLO64 said:

Honestly I’m not surprised that they’re doing this. I had a friend back in high school who uploaded 100GB+ of Blu-ray rips to their school Google account since it had unlimited storage.

That being said, for a college of around 50,000 students and faculty this equates to roughly 2GB per user... I seriously don’t get why they’re allocating space for all users instead doing it per user.

3 hours ago, wall03 said:

Institutions with greater than 20,000 students, faculty, and staff or 20,000 active users

5GB per user

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, JLO64 said:

The problem with per user is that obviously some people depending on their position in the institution might require more storage. Also depending on what sort of things you work on. I had tons of 3d modeling stuff on my student account back in the day for school projects while I doubt a business major would have much more than documents and presentations. Obviously I would require more storage than a business major but less than someone like a professor. At the end of the day it is easier for them to just pool it all together than try to allocate it per person. 

Summary

Google is discontinuing unlimited storage for all education customers

Quotes

My thoughts

Storage isn't free... but cmon!

Sources

1. Read about changes to the storage policy - Google Workspace Admin Help

Google Workspace for Education - The Keyword (blog.google)

Bruh that's gonna suck a lot. And their line about this not going to affect a lot of organizations is total BS. On my google drive for schools I have almost 50GB of data, and we have 17k students, and 1.5k teachers. This is gonna be a big change especially to big organizations. They've been cutting storage for awhile now. First unlimited google photos, things in google drives trash get deleted after 30 days, and now this. Google must really be struggling to keep up with their storage demands.

We recently announced a new storage model, which provides schools and universities with a baseline of 100 TB of pooled storage shared across all users.

LOL! We have singular network shares larger than 100TB, totally useless.

1 hour ago, jrhaberland said:

I have almost 50GB of data, and we have 17k students, and 1.5k teachers

Fuck thats a lot of students.

✨FNIGE✨

53 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Fuck thats a lot of students.

Not really lol, that's just a K-12 school system. Imagine how college are going to be with over 30k students, not including graduate students or faculty.

Also this is so ironic because google used to offer unlimited google drive storage with an enterprise account. However now the most you can get now is 5TB per user unless you Contact them and you specifically ask for it. See here: https://workspace.google.com/pricing.html

Reminds me of this project LTT did a few years ago:

unsurprising. there is no such thing as unlimited when you're talking about a service provider.

Partly because of my internet, but this is why i dont store anything in the cloud, i want to control my own data as much as possible, all my backups are local.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Looks like I still have it, not sure how long it’s gonna last but I’m fine if they capped it at 100 TB as pooled storage. 

52505DC1-40B2-4CD8-B1A4-B84BCE95E04C.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

Not really lol, that's just a K-12 school system. Imagine how college are going to be with over 30k students, not including graduate students or faculty.

K-9 I used to go to had something like 1.2k - 2k students. Over here, if you go further out. Theres schools with barely any students, friend used to go to one im sure

✨FNIGE✨

1 minute ago, SlimyPython said:

K-9 I used to go to had something like 1.2k - 2k students. Over here, if you go further out. Theres schools with barely any students, friend used to go to one im sure

Yeah I'm from a pretty big school system, but it's around the average for where I live.

10 minutes ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Looks like I still have it, not sure how long it’s gonna last but I’m fine if they capped it at 100 TB as pooled storage. 

52505DC1-40B2-4CD8-B1A4-B84BCE95E04C.jpeg

Well it's not you that's capped at 100TB it is the total amount of data from everyone in your organization combined.

33.4k students at the institution where I'm a grad student and 4.4k in academic staff, which almost certainly doesn't include support and technical staff that also have .edu emails.

Not world-ending for me personally, but not fun either.  I'm sure this is gonna screw with at least one sector of the university.

8 hours ago, wall03 said:

Google has traditionally offered unlimited storage to qualifying schools and universities for free. However, as we’ve grown to serve more schools and universities each year, storage consumption has also rapidly accelerated. Storage is not being consumed equitably across —  nor within — institutions, and school leaders often don't have the tools they need to manage this. To support schools into the future and ensure fair distribution of this valuable resource, we will be implementing a new pooled storage model and helping admins and school leaders manage their storage. Nothing is changing today and we expect that more than 99% of institutions will be within the pooled storage provided by the new policy.

Okay, sure -- storage isn't free, and offering unlimited storage probably wasn't sustainable anyway.  But using this vague reasoning as a cover by saying they're doing people a favor by nixing their storage capacity just comes across to me as disingenuous.  Just say that storage doesn't grow on trees and move on.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

7 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Okay, sure -- storage isn't free, and offering unlimited storage probably wasn't sustainable anyway.  But using this vague reasoning as a cover by saying they're doing people a favor by nixing their storage capacity just comes across to me as disingenuous.  Just say that storage doesn't grow on trees and move on.

Yeah they have been cutting back on their storage a lot recently, wouldn't be surprised if something else gets cut soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if they started to put more limits on Docs, Slides, Sheets, and Sites

@wall03, your opener here is lacking personal input required for Tech News posts. Please fix;

Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.

If not corrected, this thread will be moved to another, suitable subforum, probably to Software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Sounds reasonable if 99% institutions really are within the pool size (assuming not 100% used).
People are learning the hard way that cloud = postponing issues. 

If 99% of institutions don't use more than this why limit it in the first place?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Reality of it is that they already have more than enough data to do whatever they need to. Providing more "free" storage is just lost revenue.

So I guess they should just provide the minimum service possible because more would be "lost revenue"? These are already PAYING CUSTOMERS by the way. As far as I can tell you don't get any discount if you are an institution that doesn't meet the requirements for them to give you more storage.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

LOL! We have singular network shares larger than 100TB, totally useless.

20,000 people sharing 100tb hmm thats .2gb per users, which is more than my school gives for our onsite storage at 100mb per student which is useless.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

This is why I always call BS on "Unlimited" claims. It's never unlimited. There are always some hidden limitations and if there really aren't, you can be assured whoever is offering it will soon be sacked. Like evident by Google so many times.

Only thing I've ever seen to be truly unlimited in my entire life is bandwidth of my ISP. In can run my connection 24/7 at its peak speeds and it'll never get throttled, limited or otherwise impaired. And it has been this way for many many years ever since I signed up for service. It's nice to see someone actually delivering the "unlimited" as promised.