Sennheiser is open to selling their consumer audio busines

spartaman64

Sennheiser announced on Tuesday it’s looking for a new partner to buy its consumer audio business, which consists of headphones and soundbars. It’s going to shift its focus entirely to professional audio, including its Neumann microphone division and what Sennheiser calls business communications.

“To be best able to exploit the potential in each of these markets, we are concentrating our own resources on the three business areas in the Professional division and are looking for a strong partner to invest in our Consumer business,” Daniel Sennheiser, co-CEO of Sennheiser, says in the press release.

More recently, headphone sales haven’t been as good as expected. Daniel Sennheiser said during the summer that “competitive pressure has increased significantly,” and its profit margins at the time were “under pressure.” It also cut 650 jobs worldwide, leaving the company with around 2,800 employees currently.

Sennheiser’s press release makes it seem like the company is interested in partners to fund its consumer audio business, but it isn’t opposed to selling it off completely. The Sennheiser brothers told Handelsblatt that “all options are open,” and that “it is important to us that all business areas emerge stronger from the realignment.”

source: https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/22285497/sennheiser-investors-selling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business

It would suck if Sennheiser has to sell off their consumer business since they make some nice products and I'm not sure if we can be confident that whoever they sell to will maintain that standard. I'm not sure why they are in financial trouble since they seem to be one of the most successful headphone makers but hopefully they can get an investor to help fund their business instead. 

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Daniel Sennheiser said during the summer that “competitive pressure has increased significantly,”

I have to wonder if this is referring to the audiophile market (beyerdymanic, AKG, etc) or the gaming headset market (Hyperx, Logitech) or possibly both. 

Currently I own 4 (5?) Sennheiser headsets, primarily because I love their comfort, sound, and especially mic quality (compared to most headsets) and having the consumer portion either partially or wholly owned by a new entity would make me reconsider my position as a consumer.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

No likey 😕

but also unsure as to what kind of effect this would have..

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I have to wonder if this is referring to the audiophile market (beyerdymanic, AKG, etc) or the gaming headset market (Hyperx, Logitech) or possibly both.

IF it's referring to the audiophile market then f*ck trying to get an RTX 3000 series GPU.

I'm going to need to stock up on some Sennheiser headphones 😞 @TVwazhere

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Currently I own 4 (5?) Sennheiser headsets, primarily because I love their comfort, sound, and especially mic quality (compared to most headsets) and having the consumer portion either partially or wholly owned by a new entity would make me reconsider my position as a consumer.

Your avatar works so well for this post. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

This I find interesting since in my previous job, Sennheiser business products were in direct competition, so I had the opportunity to compare them. In that context, I'd consider their headphone business to be consumer. As expensive as they may seem, it isn't exactly high volume and probably not driving high profits, which is easier in the business world. Especially in the "work from home" world we have moved towards for many office workers. That's not to say consumer isn't profitable, just that it may not provide the profit levels they expect and it is a business choice to move away from that.

On the flip side, the business market has a lot of people going for a slice of the action, so it will take focus to deliver the right products at the right time to get that profit. Consumer would distract from that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

*sad noises

85548.jpg.7eb0f5b86816453515a3ee60fe006a55.jpg

15 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

me too

Thats the same when akg was acquired by samsung

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I was buying wired earphones from Sennheiser and AKG almost religiously. When they all switched exclusively to shitty silicone ear tip in-ears I stopped bothering. In fact entire industry shifted to this silicone tip garbage. So I ended up buying AirPods 2 which were among rare few that even had buds that fit inside outer ear part and not inside god damn ear canal. So there, now I'm an AirPods user. And not by choice. Turns out they are actually really good and sound better than all Sennheiser and AKG ones I had before. All those were basically useless for games because they just couldn't handle any kind of bass. At all. AirPods 2, easily and they actually make quite nice deep bass.

Oh fucking hell.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Scratch AKG off that list; they got sold to Samsung and their quality is not up there anymore. 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

To be fair, the average joe isn't looking for sennheiser products. 

They established themselves as more of a professional/pro-sumer solution. It was only recently they came out with lower tier products that appeal to the masses. 

Does this mean they'll get rid of the ye olde HD lineup with all their nicer headphones? 

Also recently got to experience some wireless stage-type mics from them. They are were 4 figures but god they were nice. the receivers even had oled screens lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Possibly, that market segment has never been a large part of their profit and is much more cluttered than it used to be with brands. 

They are on the other hand still a main staple and industry standard in the pro audio and production industry, and before I left audio and film production in the early 2000's made up the vast majority of equipment being used especially in theatre. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I never really saw them as a consumer focused business to begin with. Quickly looking on amazon, most of their headphones are $200+ with the cheapest being $100, so I don't think this would really be a major change? Compared to, say, Sony that makes everything from $10 headphones to $300+.

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The quality and longevity is great too (at least it has been for me)

I've had my PC350's since I was 14 years old. I'm 23 now. I've had to change the earpads a couple times but they still work great. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not surprising at all if you are into the Audio space you know by now the high end Chinese headphones (called ChiFi) are killing big name brands. They are making better sounding, better quality (I know better quality from china crazy right) and much cheaper Audio products. I would bet they sell to Drop since they do all collaborations with them.

I definitely really like the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears That I have (bought six or seven years ago?!). While I use my Airpod Pros most often when actually being active, the Momentums have a home at my bedside as they’re far more comfortable, and are less finicky.

I have to swab my ears with isopropyl (where the earbud seals)  to clear up the oils to keep my AirPods in. Otherwise, they’ll inevitably break seal and fall out within a minute, which is a shame, because they work and fit fantastic when my ears are entirely dry.

Earbuds in general really don’t work well with my ears, which sucks as they’re the only thing I can get away with at work. So religious (and possibly not great for the ears) cleaning it is. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Meeeh, all Sennheiser ear/head phones I've tried have waaaaaaay to much bass. So I really don't care. 

But this news made me realize how much I miss Pioneers head/ear phones (there are still Pioneer branded head phones, but it is not the same as it was before Pioneer sold off that part, now it's only Pioneer in name).

To be fair... most Sennheiser products in the lower price range are absolute garbage...terrible build quality and noisy cables. AKG hasn't really been the same since Samsung took over them. K 240s for instance are fantastic. The Galaxy Buds and the headphones bundled with Galaxy phones branded AKG sound alright... but the noisy ass cable just ruins it. I have a pair and they're pretty much the reason why I went Bluetooth. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580