Changes on March 16th, 2021 to Lastpass free tier will prevent you from using Lastpass on more than one type of device

kelvinhall05

So if you choose desktop I wonder if it only locks you out of the mobile app. Would it still be possible to login via requesting the desktop site on mobile and accessing your vault that way?

2 minutes ago, Dr_Whom said:

So if you choose desktop I wonder if it only locks you out of the mobile app. Would it still be possible to login via requesting the desktop site on mobile and accessing your vault that way?

It's possible but I doubt it tbh.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Why more people aren't using KeePass will forever remain a mystery to me. 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

2 minutes ago, n0stalghia said:

Why more people aren't using KeePass will forever remain a mystery to me. 

Because people don't want to deal with setting up cross-platform sync between devices. Why Keepass users don't understand that will forever remain a mystery to me...

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Because people don't want to deal with setting up cross-platform sync between devices. Why Keepass users don't understand that will forever remain a mystery to me...

What's so difficult about it? KeePass database is just a simple file. Toss it on a cloud storage of your choice - OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. - and you're set. It's as simple as moving a file to a folder. 

I like cute animal pics.

Just now, CircleTech said:

Keepass doesn't hve cloud syncing. What happens if I lose my phone and I can't get my computer to work? Then all my passwords are gone. I will pay for cloud storage if I have to for both the peace-of-mind and convience.

Just put the password DB on a cloud storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneNote, iCloud, etc.. If you lose any of the devices, the DB will stay there. 

I like cute animal pics.

Just now, n0stalghia said:

What's so difficult about it? KeePass database is just a simple file. Toss it on a cloud storage of your choice - OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. - and you're set. It's as simple as moving a file to a folder. 

Lol I knew this reply was coming. What part of "some people don't want to deal with that" don't you understand?

This is the equivalent of telling someone to just change their own oil or spark plugs on their car. Yeah, for car guys it's easy, but not everyone wants to do that when the mechanic doesn't cost much and is no hassle (which, in this analogy, is Bitwarden not having significant compromises).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Lol I knew this reply was coming. What part of "some people don't want to deal with that" don't you understand?

This is the equivalent of telling someone to just change their own oil or spark plugs on their car. Yeah, for car guys it's easy, but not everyone wants to do that when the mechanic doesn't cost much and is no hassle (which, in this analogy, is Bitwarden not having significant compromises).

What is a hassle? Registering an account at Google Drive? And how is LastPass account registration not a hassle then? Those two steps are identical; Google is actually faster because you don't have to set up payment methods.

This leaves the only other difference a "hassle", saving a file to a specific folder (the Google Drive one). If you're setting up password storage, you definitely have the literacy and the free time to move ONE file to ONE folder. It's a five second task. 

I like cute animal pics.

Just switched to Bitwarden, seems great! Haven't tested the Android auto-fill much yet, but I hope it's much better than LP's.

I'm missing the autofill button that's added into forms, but I think I can get used to that quickly.

Anyone has suggestions for a replacement for LastPass Authenticator? (with sync ofc)

🙂

3 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Anyone has suggestions for a replacement for LastPass Authenticator? (with sync ofc)

I don't use this so I may be wrong, but if I understand what it is, then Google Authenticator could work for you. I use it and it's quite nice.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

After some experience with free things growing up, I think I prefer paying for a service than riddling it with ads or taking my data and making me the product.

I think twitter and facebook would be much better if that were the case with them lol

So is this bad? I mean the sudden change sucks but does paying logmein help prevent this? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

44 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Just switched to Bitwarden, seems great! Haven't tested the Android auto-fill much yet, but I hope it's much better than LP's.

I'm missing the autofill button that's added into forms, but I think I can get used to that quickly.

I have been using Microsoft’s authenticator app for a few years now and it has been great. I’m on iOS and can’t speak to the android version, but I assume it is up to snuff judging by the general quality of M$ mobile apps.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I was always sort of mystified by why someone would pay for LastPass in their existing (soon to be old) business model. I love the service though, very convenient, will pay for it. Open to other options that are just as polished though. If Microsoft's Autofill matures and becomes a proper replacement for LastPass, I'll probably switch since it'd be free.

5 hours ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I'm on the free tier, even that is really good and I haven't even found any limitations that annoy me

Passwords sync across devices for me, I've never had to press the sync button

Basically the paid tier gets you OTP codes support so it can act like 2 factor authenticator and you get 1GB of storage to safely store important files in encrypted form. Some say it defeats the purpose if you have 2FA codes generated by same app and I agree, but each can balance security and convenience to whatever degree they want. Other than that, you're not missing out much else afaik.

Microsoft : Works on developing a multi platform, mutli browser password manager, all for free.

Lastpass : tenor.gif

Honestly, now I have to switch over the people I switched to Lastpass less than 2 months ago... They are mad at ME because of this shit, because I got them to use LP in the first place and they were "just fine" with their entirely "unique" password consisting of a single dictionary word... that they were using everywhere and got "hacked" multiple times in the past by their exes and what not. Sigh. Will just export/import into Bitwarden, seems the easiest thing to do.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I personally just use Google Password Manager. 

I can't be arsed with installing a separate app to manage my passwords, my passwords are synced between Chrome on all my devices and with pretty much every app I use on Android.

Oh, and it only costs the low, low price of all my data, something which I'm past caring about protecting!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

We all have a case of "short term memory".  LastPass's mobile solution wasn't always free.  Their desktop/browser version was.  If you wanted to share your passwords across all devices, you used to have to pay a sub fee.  They got rid of that a few years ago, and now it appears as though they've seen the error in their way$.  So it's back to a paid tier, but this time they're giving you a choice of which one to pay for.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Noooo ! Not you too LastPass, wtf.......

Hope LMG will be talking a serious word to them. Man I freaking loved this Password manager. Now to find a new one I guess...

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, soldier_ph said:

Noooo ! Not you too LastPass, wtf.......

Hope LMG will be talking a serious word to them. Man I freaking loved this Password manager. Now to find a new one I guess...

Shit, that's a good point. Would love to hear their thoughts on this.

@LinusTech any thoughts? Maybe discuss on WAN show?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

We all have a case of "short term memory".  LastPass's mobile solution wasn't always free.  Their desktop/browser version was.  If you wanted to share your passwords across all devices, you used to have to pay a sub fee.  They got rid of that a few years ago, and now it appears as though they've seen the error in their way$.  So it's back to a paid tier, but this time they're giving you a choice of which one to pay for.

Better then what I found out my mom has been using...
A folder that is falling apart and just had random crap written all over it, and being unable to tell which password is the up to date password.
You have no idea how much of a pain it was setting up her new PC...

Wait...so what would happen if you had two accounts...then exported the passwords into your other lastpass account...but you would still be able to have it on both phone and computer

Heh, great timing lastpass, I was literally reading an article about the best password managers and their pros and cons last night... looks like their article will have to be updated now, as it was suggesting lastpass as a great option for free users.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Heh, great timing lastpass, I was literally reading an article about the best password managers and their pros and cons last night... looks like their article will have to be updated now, as it was suggesting lastpass as a great option for free users.

Yep, I've always recommended Lastpass to friends and family, and now I'll be recommending Bitwarden.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yep, I've always recommended Lastpass to friends and family, and now I'll be recommending Bitwarden.

I just tried out nord, then found it had a limitation on only being able to use on one device at a time, so you get logged out... not ideal in my usage, lol.

So have also gone with bitwarden,again, it turns out, as I must have signed up sometime in the past. So had to delete my old account (beware it is possible for someone that has access to your email account to permanently delete your user account and everything), so bear that in mind, secure your email account with 2fa if you don't already.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Switching to Bitwarden was super easy.  The user experience is pretty much the same as LastPass, which is nice for my tech illiterate family members who got used to LastPass because of me.

Funnily enough, I'm now considering paying for a Bitwarden family plan.  I actually did have LastPass premium for two years in order to get cross platform access, but as soon as they made that free, I dropped it.