Changes on March 16th, 2021 to Lastpass free tier will prevent you from using Lastpass on more than one type of device

kelvinhall05

Use iCloud Keychain. Free password manager. Also Apple has a Chrome Extension now for iCloud Keychain. 

Really don’t see a reason to use a third party manager. Unless of course you don’t have at least 1 Apple device. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 2/16/2021 at 7:05 PM, duncannah said:

Anyone has suggestions for a replacement for LastPass Authenticator? (with sync ofc)

I replaced Google Authenticator with Authy a while ago.  It works on mobile and PC and syncs between devices.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:39 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

This is bullshit and not even 15 minutes after I saw this, I had exported my data, imported into Bitwarden, and deleted my Lastpass account. I strongly suggest everyone currently using Lastpass to switch to either Bitwarden or maybe Keepass.

Meh, why don't you create two free account? It'll be a little tedious to sync both of them, but it should still work.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

58 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Meh, why don't you create two free account? It'll be a little tedious to sync both of them, but it should still work.

Or just use the free and superior alternative (bitwarden) so you don't have to do a clunky workaround like having two accounts and syncing them. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Or just use the free and superior alternative (bitwarden) so you don't have to do a clunky workaround like having two accounts and syncing them. 

Yeah. Or, you can keep all your account information in a book and stored it in a fire proof safe like I did.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Personally, I don't mind paying for the services I like, and I like LastPass. But I just can't support the approach of taking something away from you and then trying to sell it back to you. Guess I'll be switching to 1Password lol

I didn’t have to think much.

Saw it, asked and searched for alternatives, exported my stuff to Bitwarden and will be nuking my LP account.

Thanks for it, you fucks.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Bitwarden's subreddit is absolutely flooded with people switching lol

22 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I personally just use Google Password Manager. 

I can't be arsed with installing a separate app to manage my passwords, my passwords are synced between Chrome on all my devices and with pretty much every app I use on Android.

Oh, and it only costs the low, low price of all my data, something which I'm past caring about protecting!

Happy to see I'm not the only one lol
IMO If u r in google ecosystem, their built-in password manager is a really good option  

6 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

Happy to see I'm not the only one lol
IMO If u r in google ecosystem, their built-in password manager is a really good option  

After what happened to that Terreria dev, I switched from Google Auth to Authy.  Glad I did!  Authy’s app is far superior to Google Auth.

I moved from LastPass last year to 1Password and I'm super happy with it. My only complaint with 1Password is that doesn't play well with the Android version of Vivaldi (it doesn't autofill), so I'm currently using Bitwarden until 1Password and Vivaldi's developers get the issue worked out.

I don't mind paying for a service like a password manager, and 1Password, outside of the Android Vivalidi issue, has been well worth the $36 I pay for it.

For people who don't know you can also self host your own bitwarden vault I've been doing it for years it works great and I don't pay anything. The server is pretty lightweight and I just run it on my unraid nas. It caches all your passwords on your clients so even if the network drops out you still have access. That's another big benefit of Bitwarden over Lastpass is that it's completely opensource.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread as it's about a week old at this point but I only just found out about this!

This does annoy me somewhat, but at the same time, it is a free service after all, and there is obviously some cost to provide it.

I switched to LastPass from Bitwarden; I didn't really like Bitwarden that much as I experienced far too many bugs.

I might just switch to Firefox Lockwise, though I'm worried about that being a pain if I ever decide to change browsers - however, short of Chrome, which I dislike for many reasons, it's unclear what I would switch to.

If the people at ProtonMail did password management at a reasonable cost - which does seem like a logical step for them - I'd switch in a heartbeat, but they don't...

Ah well, Guess I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

Sorry to bump this thread as it's about a week old at this point but I only just found out about this!

This does annoy me somewhat, but at the same time, it is a free service after all, and there is obviously some cost to provide it.

I switched to LastPass from Bitwarden; I didn't really like Bitwarden that much as I experienced far too many bugs.

I might just switch to Firefox Lockwise, though I'm worried about that being a pain if I ever decide to change browsers - however, short of Chrome, which I dislike for many reasons, it's unclear what I would switch to.

If the people at ProtonMail did password management at a reasonable cost - which does seem like a logical step for them - I'd switch in a heartbeat, but they don't...

Ah well, Guess I still have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

Interesting that you found a lot of bugs on bitwarden, i was considering switching to it when my 1password subscriptions expires. I am happy, but it is expensive and bitwarden seems to be more transparent on security.

If you didn't already, maybe try 1password, because other than the price i have no problems with it. I switched from Keepass to 1password, because it was too hard and uncovenient to use.

JP

7 hours ago, JP! said:

Interesting that you found a lot of bugs on bitwarden, i was considering switching to it when my 1password subscriptions expires. I am happy, but it is expensive and bitwarden seems to be more transparent on security.

If you didn't already, maybe try 1password, because other than the price i have no problems with it. I switched from Keepass to 1password, because it was too hard and uncovenient to use.

JP

I actually ended up switching TO KeePass. I feel overall a lot more comfortable with the idea that all of my passwords are stored locally.

It works for me because all of my computing is generally done on the same machine so the internet sync functionality was redundant to me most of the time.

The only real issue I have with it is that I now have to type passwords manually if I want to log in on my phone, which is quite rare for me. That was the case with Bitwarden too given how often the app didn't work for me, and of course is now the case for Lastpass as well.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

At the time, i found Keepass complicated specially to sync with other devices, via dropbox.

I have several devices, using Android and Windows, so i need the sync. I remember that there was a Keepass implementation to Android (Keepass2Android), but i did try it and it was another pain to use. The fragmentation is/was one off the problems of Keepass, in my opinion.

Since i switched to 1password, which works great on Android, Firefox, Windows, i am happy, except for the price.

JP

9 hours ago, JP! said:

At the time, i found Keepass complicated specially to sync with other devices, via dropbox.

I have several devices, using Android and Windows, so i need the sync. I remember that there was a Keepass implementation to Android (Keepass2Android), but i did try it and it was another pain to use. The fragmentation is/was one off the problems of Keepass, in my opinion.

Since i switched to 1password, which works great on Android, Firefox, Windows, i am happy, except for the price.

JP

What issue did you have?

I use Keepass and I've never had issues with sync. Just put the database in your dropbox folder and then point all your Keepass installs to that. Easy as pie and works great.

I get that some people prefer having a more streamlined experience where they don't have to worry about database files at all though. Bitwarden and other services are far more user friendly and have more slick UIs.

I'd switch to Bitwarden if it weren't for the fact that they don't allow custom icons, or linking to external programs (so for example, clicking on an IP adress launches an SSH session in PuTTY).

Don't remember it exactly it was a few years ago.

I remember using a few logins on Keepass and some of them didn't work when copy and paste, while also having difficulties setting up a sync between Keepass and Keepass2Android, so i gave up. Ease of use is what didn't work for me on Keepass.

Regarding using password managers for a SSH session in Putty, which ones support that? Also, are you aware of any supporting 2 password for the same site/session (e.g. one password to login, another to confirm a operation?)

JP

I'm paying for LastPass as I've got a lot of accounts to manage. Also, the Authenticator apps lets me sync my 2FA keys to their cloud for ease of restoring in case my phone is damaged/replaced.

It's a qualify of life thing, no point in getting butthurt over paying for a service that provides real value day-to-day.