Do you finish your games?

digitalnav

video-game-stack.jpg

In an interesting article posted by IGN, industry affiliates stated at GDC 2014 that many gamers don't actually finish playing the games they start. Most gamers aren't actually playing through the entire storyline of games.

Most gamers do not finish games they start playing

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

As a gamer with a shit-ton of Steam games from sales and Humble Bundles, I can confirm this.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

How can you not finish Bioshock Infinite? :D

Either a game sucks and i don't play it after like 1 hour, but that hasn't happened often, i even played through GTA 4, allthough it sucks ass imo.

Or i play through it completeley.

Can't actually remember a game that i started but didn't play through.

I got a couple of games in steam, which i never touched yet though (but didn't start eitehr). :D

who cares...

I do, at least the story line, for instance I don't play to 100% in GTA but I will finish the storyline.

This is more for older games but I prefer the single player story driven game than any multiplayer game, even now I play ST:O and that is an MMO but I still prefer to play for the story.

It does help that if I know I'm not going to play the game I do not buy it, it doesn't matter if it was 99p if I'm not going to play it that's 99p down the drain.

When I start playing a game I set out to finish it, unless its really bad, like Action 52. 

it really depends on the game.

But most of the time the first hour is important and crucial.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

As a gamer with a shit-ton of Steam games from sales and Humble Bundles, I can confirm this.

COMIC SANS

If it's a game I've been following for a long or the next game in a sequel, I will finish them. If it's a game I buy on impulse and don't really know anything about, there's a chance I won't finish it because I might not even like it. I don't have many of the latter.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Story-driven games? I'm actually pretty good about completing them. However, when it comes to stuff like Mount and Blade: Warband and Crusader Kings 2, I usually end up ragequitting at the first major setback...  :ph34r:

<badjoke> I almost always finish but not on time.. :P </badjoke> 

I almost never finish a game i start :P but i mostly just play online FPS games so..

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I'm trying to finish the good ones... Doing a complete replay of the Witchers (because I didn't play 1 and I lost my save for 2). Skyrim has too much things to do with mods. I have other games that came in bundles that I probably won't touch/finish.

Very rarely I won't finish a game... I like to get my monies worth...

...Now, games I haven't even gotten around to playing, that's another story...

I blame Steam.

I always finish my game. actually i start game to finish it. i have finished almost 85 PC games past 2,5 years i have list of that. if you want i can show that list :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

u know why

because most games SUCK

why we buy them u say ?

because demos dont exist anymore !

and if ur on PC u cant sell them ! yay steam right ?

so its like a pile of crap that reminds of your horrible mistakes

this is the #1 reason i pirate 

because how else will i know how good a game is if i dont test drive it first

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Depends if it's repetitive or not. I mostly finish them, but for example, Arkham City I still haven't completed it cause it's exactly the same thing over and over from the other batman games.

u know why

because most games SUCK

why we buy them u say ?

because demos dont exist anymore !

and if ur on PC u cant sell them ! yay steam right ?

so its like a pile of crap that reminds of your horrible mistakes

this is the #1 reason i pirate 

because how else will i know how good a game is if i dont test drive it first

Or if there is a demo they make you buy another game to play that demo (The Last of Us..............)

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I rarely finish a game. When I start to play any video game it's never my intention to finish, I just want to have fun. Sometimes fun leads to finishing a game but most times it does not with me. 

Before hopping off my Scrubox 360, I used to finish 90% of the games that ever entered my disk tray. I usually borrowed or bought used games. I only ever bought a couple of games at $60. I played them often and for long durations because I often only had about two or three games worth playing at a time.

Now with Steam, Humble Bundles, GOG, etc., with games being a dime a dozen, I don't finish a lot of them. Being particularly jaded to gaming, if a game doesn't entertain me in five minutes, I stop playing. I don't feel bad about it as much as I did because I can grab PC games on the ridiculously cheap.

I do definitely go for a campaign first if a game has it before hopping in the multiplayer. The stories suck oftentimes, but there's always a few golden eggs in the goose nest.

How to pronounce: Nne ya Tano

How can you not finish Bioshock Infinite? :D

Either a game sucks and i don't play it after like 1 hour, but that hasn't happened often, i even played through GTA 4, allthough it sucks ass imo.

Or i play through it completeley.

Can't actually remember a game that i started but didn't play through.

I got a couple of games in steam, which i never touched yet though (but didn't start eitehr). :D

I got bored with infinite quickly. If a game doesn't entice me in the first hour with story, game play or something else I put it down

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I sometimes do, but there are some games where I get bored of the story and stop.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Last game I didn't finish was South Park Stick of Truth. I got bored, I don't know, maybe halfway through. If I was in my teens or new to Southpark humor I probably would have thought it a lot more funny and awesome.

Game I wish I didn't finish. Mass Effect 3. I want someone to use that memory eraser from Men in Black on me. I want the memory of that ending gone. Damn Mac Walters and his writing!

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Usually. 

The only real game that stands out as something I didn't finish was FFVIII, I couldn't stand that piece of crap after partway through the second disc.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I got bored with infinite quickly. If a game doesn't entice me in the first hour with story, game play or something else I put it down

^ and thus the story of how a man never pushed on amd felt greatness was born, badumptsss.

On topic: For me i usually complete all stories once i start it... you don't usually read a book halfway then toss it aside 

I don't really care much if it's a retro game that I got on the cheap but I tend to at least try to beat it, if It was a pricier game or if i bought it brand new. Doesn't happen too often. The last brand new games that I bought were a few Neo Geo carts @ ~$615 each and a hand full of 3DS games. (Zelda Link between Worlds, Micky Epic, Bravely Default, some of the LEGO games, Castlevania and Tales of the Abyss) Those games get as much playtime as possible and I enjoy playing them a lot.

Actually, I've got my 3DS XL in my left hand as I'm typing this. Playing Bravely Default and am trying to level up to Level 99 and all jobs maxed out so that finishing the game gets a bit easier.

Linus, if you're reading this:

Bravely Default is good, but it's not Final Fantasy 9 good. There's a serious WTF moment right around the end of champter 4. Almost made me want to stop playing the game.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.