Activision Bans More than 60,000 Accounts For Cheating

SADS

Summary

Activision today banned over 60,000 accounts from Call of Duty: Warzone for cheating. This appears to have come as a response to some high profile players quitting the game due the volume of players cheating.

Quotes

Publisher Activision revealed the game had its own “internal anti-cheat software”, which it was now enhancing following demands from players.

Several high-profile streamers had criticised the battle-royal game for being “saturated with hackers”.

It comes after UK-based Vikkstar - whose real name is Vikram Singh Barn - announced he was quitting Warzone because of its cheating problem.

“This needs to be fixed,” he told his seven million subscribers.

"Otherwise, it truly will be the death of the game."

Vikkstar has now welcomed Activision's latest announcement as “a step in the right direction".

My thoughts

In my opinion, this is a bit of a shitty move from Activision. It seems that Activision had the power to do something about the amount of hackers very easily and very quickly. It took them just a day after news of Vikkstar's quitting breaking the news to make all these bans, so why didn't they do something about it sooner?

This has surely been a problem for a long time, it's only now that it's actually causing them bad publicity that they've taken any action.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55919196

4 minutes ago, SADS said:

Summary

Activision today banned over 60,000 accounts from Call of Duty: Warzone for cheating. This appears to have come as a response to some high profile players quitting the game due the volume of players cheating.

Quotes

My thoughts

In my opinion, this is a bit of a shitty move from Activision. It seems that Activision had the power to do something about the amount of hackers very easily and very quickly. It took them just a day after news of Vikkstar's quitting breaking the news to make all these bans, so why didn't they do something about it sooner?

This has surely been a problem for a long time, it's only now that it's actually causing them bad publicity that they've taken any action.

Sources

I agree, sadly these ban waves have been common practice for 20 years give or take. It has always seemed like a very lazy approach.

I know that companies do them in waves because this is usually an effective measure.

IE; Ban a bunch of cheaters in one go, rather than one at a time.

Banning people one at a time and immediately gives cheaters a chance to know exactly what action it was they took or what software caused the ban.

Saving them up and issuing them all at once helps to stop the cheaters from learning what it was specifically that got them caught.

That said, it does mean that you have a whole bunch of time where there are cheaters ruining the game.

But it does seem a bit knee jerk of Activision to drop the ban hammer the day after they're called out so publicly.

They probably should have been banning more actively or having better systems in place beforehand.

The gaming group Im with stopped playing Warzone (7 of us in the group played) due to cheaters a while back.  The final straw was when someone killed everyone in the zone with a KAR98 so quickly, so efficiently, that there was no going back for us.  FAR TO LITTLE TO LATE.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I agree, this sounds like a "Oh shit, guess we got to actually start giving a shit now" rather than a "Oh no, people are hacking we need to do something".

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 hour ago, SADS said:

It seems that Activision had the power to do something about the amount of hackers very easily and very quickly. It took them just a day after news of Vikkstar's quitting breaking the news to make all these bans, so why didn't they do something about it sooner?

The thing is that Activision are trying to tackle cheating since day one,

If it's their Hardware ID ban system,or their requirement for a phone number in order to play,these with the goal of preventing cheaters  that were caught from opening dozens of accounts.

The problem is that Activision have no clue on how to code an anti-cheat system and insists on using their own.

Cheaters are bypassing their anti-cheat systems,the anti-cheat doesn't detect most of the cheaters.

The first and most important thing in anti-cheat systems is limiting values,if the value is out of the acceptable range it should be reset the moment it happens,

For example:

if (Speed > 1)

{

Speed = 1;

}

Another important thing is to synchronize client data,that is based on server data and not the opposite.

For example:

On the server:

Money = 18740

On the client:

Money = 999999999999

If you synchronize client data,that is based on server data then the the value of money will be 18740 regardless of what the client is saying,

The 999999999999 will be ignored,and only the 18740 will be seen.

A project for example: https://forum.cfx.re/t/release-synced-data-container-anti-cheatengine/96844

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Ban waves are normal part of anti-cheat measures. As stated, allowing time to pass obfuscates a cheat maker/user's ability to understand which cheat, function, or version was detected and makes it more difficult to counter. Increasing the frequency is a double-edged sword.

Having been a competitive CS player and on the admin/executive side of a few organizations (including one with an in-house anti-cheat), there's a fine line for some of this stuff. While the timing and optics don't seem great, we are not really privy to the behind-the-scenes with Activision and to what state they were monitoring or investigating certain cheat tools and/or players. Perhaps they were waiting for something or some type of threshold, but were then forced to do something early because of the negative publicity. 

While it does suck that some were able to cheat for an extended period, gathering more information and giving your team time to do the work is always beneficial to have a more substantial impact for the regular users to avoid cheaters.

I actually noticed an immediate improvement in Verdonsk. 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Optics aside.. no way it was just Vik's announcement that spurred the action.. this likely has been in the works for some time now. A lot of times they let it go while they study it to learn how it works and to try and figure out the best methods to combat it to prevent it in the future. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 hours ago, SADS said:

My thoughts

Sources

Been an issue ever since cod MW1 lol 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

The thing is that Activision are trying to tackle cheating since day one,

If it's their Hardware ID ban system,or their requirement for a phone number in order to play,these with the goal of preventing cheaters  that were caught from opening dozens of accounts.

The problem is that Activision have no clue on how to code an anti-cheat system and insists on using their own.

Cheaters are bypassing their anti-cheat systems,the anti-cheat doesn't detect most of the cheaters.

The first and most important thing in anti-cheat systems is limiting values,if the value is out of the acceptable range it should be reset the moment it happens,

For example:

if (Speed > 1)

{

Speed = 1;

}

Another important thing is to synchronize client data,that is based on server data and not the opposite.

For example:

On the server:

Money = 18740

On the client:

Money = 999999999999

If you synchronize client data,that is based on server data then the the value of money will be 18740 regardless of what the client is saying,

The 999999999999 will be ignored,and only the 18740 will be seen.

A project for example: https://forum.cfx.re/t/release-synced-data-container-anti-cheatengine/96844

This is harder to do than it seems.

Because you have to separate server data from player movement.

Speed hacks and going to illegal places happen because of player prediction.

The problem is, if everything is server side, then yes, hacking CAN NOT HAPPEN, except "map" hacks (vision), since the server can verify all of the data.

If your gun has an abnormal recoil, the server will see the data is wrong and will kick the player.

The problem with that is, it makes the game unplayable.  If your ping is higher than 10, it completely destroys the feel of the game and will destroy aiming and movement.  It will literally turn pros into beginners.  That's why full server sided movement simply isn't done in FPS games.  You see it in MMORPG's, yes, because MMORPG's work well with such a system.

That's why it's so hard to make a good anticheat system.  Players have to be able to compete with a 90 ping (e.g. East coast player connecting to a west coast server), because, well...that's reality.  If a 90 ping player has an extra 100ms of lag in movement and aiming and a 100ms delay when he fires his rifle, guess what?  He's not going to be playing for very long.

Maybe my knowledge about this is obsolete, as I haven't looked at this kind of stuff since F2P FPS and Korean MMO explosion at the turn of last decade.  But you get the point.  Yes you can instantly stop all cheating (besides local vision exploits and radar hacking) completely on the server, but you will lose 90% of your player base if you do that.

I'll always be perplexed of the amount of people that are cheaters, sad and pathetic.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Wooow after publicity comes out they decide to do something about people cheating

I very much doubt that Vik deserves any credit for this. EVERYONE was complaining about cheaters on social media every day. 

This is confirmation bias at its finest

19 hours ago, SADS said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Better now than never right ?

I was just playing Warzone with a couple of my ol' University buddies last night, we spectated the last few minutes of the round (we came in 4th), and it was 2 vs 1. They couldn't find the last guy, he wasn't even on the map! The gas eventually closed in completely, and the remaining two people died. He was either under the map or something.

Some next level hack. THAT is just bad.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 2/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, SADS said:

so why didn't they do something about it sooner? This has surely been a problem for a long time, it's only now that it's actually causing them bad publicity that they've taken any action.

I've been playing FPS games online since CoD original and MoH:AA, it's ALWAYS been a problem.

8 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I was just playing Warzone with a couple of my ol' University buddies last night, we spectated the last few minutes of the round (we came in 4th), and it was 2 vs 1. They couldn't find the last guy, he wasn't even on the map! The gas eventually closed in completely, and the remaining two people died. He was either under the map or something.

Some next level hack. THAT is just bad.

Yee oldee hacks were worse in my opinion. Hacker spawns in to map and within a second everyone is dead and dies immediately on spawn, boy those were the days.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:16 PM, SADS said:

My thoughts

No MMO game has ever figured out how to solve this. 

They (MMO developers) know there is a way to solve it, but it would make getting into the game inaccessible to most people. 

a) 2FA requirement, require that the 2FA always be used to login, even on forums.

b) No "free trial", full-price the game, including all DLC from the start.

c) Invite-only process for party/match-making/communication

But the bean counters and marketing execs want free trials, and people to be able to make accounts with no hurdles so they can inflate their player counts.

Then how you deal with cheaters is, to semi-permanently ban the account, and require a deposit and a physical 2FA key sent to their address to reinstate the account. Unfortunately, it's a perpetual whack-a-mole reduced to just the most annoying people.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

No MMO game has ever figured out how to solve this. 

They (MMO developers) know there is a way to solve it, but it would make getting into the game inaccessible to most people. 

a) 2FA requirement, require that the 2FA always be used to login, even on forums.

b) No "free trial", full-price the game, including all DLC from the start.

c) Invite-only process for party/match-making/communication

But the bean counters and marketing execs want free trials, and people to be able to make accounts with no hurdles so they can inflate their player counts.

Then how you deal with cheaters is, to semi-permanently ban the account, and require a deposit and a physical 2FA key sent to their address to reinstate the account.

the real way to solve this is to bring everything server side but that will greatly increase the cost of servers

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

since CoD original

The days of independently run servers. I miss the UO days, that game was the best. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

The hackers are back btw. 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

the real way to solve this is to bring everything server side but that will greatly increase the cost of servers

The Stadia route is the endgame for MMO games, but it'll just mean that only Americans and Japanese players get to play, while Australians, Brazilians, Russians, never get to play these games, ever.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:12 PM, -rascal- said:

He was either under the map or something.

He was likely exploiting the infinite stim glitch, which keeps coming back into Warzone after the developer patch it out.  The latest glitch has been "a thing" since around Christmas time or there abouts.  So odds are that's what you were seeing.  He was sitting in the gas somewhere, with an infinite number of stims, and cranking himself to stay alive until the others died to the gas.

Raven literally just patched it out today.   For now.  Until someone else finds a new way to do it.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

They could take a few lessons from Valve

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition