-1 replies?!?!

Katarok

image.thumb.png.ba1c27583e6284308683812e714468e0.png

When your reply is so unhelpful that the forum takes away a reply count.

Yes I do know that there can be errors in counting such and such I am just a making fun of it, no need to explain it in the replies

7 hours ago, Katarok said:

Yes I do know that there can be errors in counting such and such I am just a making fun of it, no need to explain it in the replies

For a moment, I thought I was on reddit, and you were talking about my karma...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

8 hours ago, Katarok said:

Well I'm going to explain anyway.

Topics get posted and then it counts the number of posts in the topic. The number of replies shown in the recent topics list are the number of posts -1 (since the original post doesn't count as a reply). The recent topics side panel is cached and updates every minute or so. It will show -1 replies if the forum caches the recent topics in between the time that the thread is created and the number of posts in the thread is counted. It's pretty uncommon, but because the side panel is cached and displayed for everyone when it does happen there tends to be a few people who notice it. It'll correct itself the next time the recent topics list updates itself.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, Katarok said:

When @ragnarok0273 replies to a post.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

2 minutes ago, The Blackhat said:

When @ragnarok0273 replies to a post.

Oof.

I saw this before (I think in November)?

EDIT:
I didn't realize I was famous enough to have haters.

Wait - I'm not famous anymore.

I'm "Admired".

I kinda preferred being "Famous".

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Oof.

I saw this before (I think in November)?

image.thumb.png.473a80602cd03b2b4c8176d4bfea7009.png

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

Well I'm going to explain anyway.

Topics get posted and then it counts the number of posts in the topic. The number of replies shown in the recent topics list are the number of posts -1 (since the original post doesn't count as a reply). The recent topics side panel is cached and updates every minute or so. It will show -1 replies if the forum caches the recent topics in between the time that the thread is created and the number of posts in the thread is counted. It's pretty uncommon, but because the side panel is cached and displayed for everyone when it does happen there tends to be a few people who notice it. It'll correct itself the next time the recent topics list updates itself.

Well now you got the software engineer in me revved up.  So there's a separate service regularly polling the database to count & cache the number of replies in threads and also a separate service creating/caching the recent topics panel?  So the sequence is something like this?

1) Thread created
2) Recent Topic Polling Service activates
3) RTPS sees new thread
4) RTPS requests reply count
5) Thread Reply Count Service has no values for the requested thread
6) RTPS shrugs and puts in the default value of -1

I started to ask myself why you wouldn't just go to the source on a cache miss, but the answer was apparent: for such a trivial piece of data, the value of increasing the efficiency of the forum outweighs it by several orders of magnitude.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

7 hours ago, Rybo said:

Well now you got the software engineer in me revved up.  So there's a separate service regularly polling the database to count & cache the number of replies in threads and also a separate service creating/caching the recent topics panel?  So the sequence is something like this?

1) Thread created
2) Recent Topic Polling Service activates
3) RTPS sees new thread
4) RTPS requests reply count
5) Thread Reply Count Service has no values for the requested thread
6) RTPS shrugs and puts in the default value of -1

I started to ask myself why you wouldn't just go to the source on a cache miss, but the answer was apparent: for such a trivial piece of data, the value of increasing the efficiency of the forum outweighs it by several orders of magnitude.  

It's not as complex as that. If user A is submitting a new topic, and user B is loading an arbitrary page:

1. For user A, the "topic" record is inserted into the database, with 0 posts (including no OP)
  2. For user B, the forum notices that the cached recent topics widget is out of date
  3. For user B, the forum retrieves the 5 most recent topics from the database, including user A's topic
  4. For user B, the forum renders the widget, setting numReplies = count(topic.posts) - 1 [= -1 here]
  5. For user A, the "post" record for their topic is inserted into the database

1 and 2 are interchangeable, as are 4 and 5 - it's the 1 -> 3 -> 5 sequence that matters here.

This could be solved using transactions, which enforce an ordering between all of A's operations and all of B's to prevent this. However, the forum software we're using doesn't support that.

HTTP/2 203

13 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

However, the forum software we're using doesn't support that.

Is it open source or relies on some free and publicly available API/software-library? If so I'd like to take a crack at it and see what I can come up with (not that I actually expect to fix any issues); as someone looking into web dev I'm interested in taking a gander at what stuff is out there, so to speak.

FYI I'm taking a computer science database class this semester so this could be a fun side project of sorts lolz.

Edited by linuxChips2600
Give extra context

15 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

Is it open source or relies on some free and publicly available API/software-library?

Nope, Invision is very not free. https://invisioncommunity.com/buy/self-hosted/

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

19 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

Is it open source or relies on some free and publicly available API/software-library? If so I'd like to take a crack at it and see what I can come up with (not that I actually expect to fix any issues); as someone looking into web dev I'm interested in taking a gander at what stuff is out there, so to speak.

FYI I'm taking a computer science database class this semester so this could be a fun side project of sorts lolz.

Unfortunately it's not open or available source.

It's also not something that can easily be changed - supporting transactions in a meaningful way would likely involve completely rearchitecting the code, because database accesses are spread out throughout it. A naive solution, like just starting a transaction at the start of the request and committing at the end, would still run into issues where one thing (such as the post creation in the example above) but some side effects still need to be seen, so it would end up being very difficult to retrofit in any practical way.

HTTP/2 203

Is there not just some operation that can be done after the fact (maybe even on the client side) that sets any negative value to 0? Essentially allowing the system to report a negative number, but not delivering that to the user?

basically if( x < 0 ) then x = 0;

14 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Is there not just some operation that can be done after the fact (maybe even on the client side) that sets any negative value to 0? Essentially allowing the system to report a negative number, but not delivering that to the user?

There are dozens of patchwork remedies to the solution, but when you apply band-aids to race conditions, the blood tends to just seep out elsewhere -- that or it doesn't cover the whole wound.  The real solution is to eliminate the race condition -- i.e., wrap the thing in a transaction.  Or in this forum's case, raise a bug with the vendor and be proud that you notified them of a problem that will never be solved.  In this case, it seems like a reasonable solution to the problem -- after all, there will never be fewer than 0 replies -- but it may leave some other bug unsolved.  By the end of it there will be weird band-aids and predicates throughout the system for the one issue that you didn't feel like solving right the first time 🙂 

15 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ah, that makes sense.  I wouldn't think the "topic" and "post" were two different records, but I guess it makes sense if you're on a version of MySQL that doesn't support recursion (IIRC the software is on MySQL -- and even if the version has been upgraded, it's reasonable to assume it was developed before recursion was supported!).  Or, y'know, the developers didn't want to tie a Gordian knot in their forum software.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

On 2/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, akio123008 said:

Yeah, we could, but it's a pretty rare race condition, caused by a very tight race, so it's not been worth it.

9 hours ago, Rybo said:

Ah, that makes sense.  I wouldn't think the "topic" and "post" were two different records, but I guess it makes sense if you're on a version of MySQL that doesn't support recursion (IIRC the software is on MySQL -- and even if the version has been upgraded, it's reasonable to assume it was developed before recursion was supported!).  Or, y'know, the developers didn't want to tie a Gordian knot in their forum software.  

There are multiple posts per topic, so unless the first post gets included in the topic record and the others are stored separately (which would result in a nightmare amount of special casing and keeping things in sync) I'm not sure how that could work - I'm curious how you would expect that to work.

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

There are multiple posts per topic, so unless the first post gets included in the topic record and the others are stored separately (which would result in a nightmare amount of special casing and keeping things in sync) I'm not sure how that could work - I'm curious how you would expect that to work.

This is SQL Server syntax, but hopefully it should still be legible.  It's also pretty ad hoc, so syntax errors are...likely.  

-- create single posts table
create tblPosts as (PostID int, Title varchar(max), Content varchar(max), ParentID int, DateCreated datetime2)

-- to create a new topic; notice parent ID of 0
insert into tblPosts values (1, 'New topic!', 'content!', 0, GETDATE());

-- to 'reply' to the topic
insert into tblPosts values (2, 'Optional response title!', 'content!', 1, GETDATE());

-- bonus feature: respond to responses!
insert into tblPosts values (3, 'Optional response title!', 'content!', 2, GETDATE());

--get all topics
select * from tblPosts where ParentID = 0 order by PostID asc;

--get full tree from a given PostID
declare @postID int = 1
with posts as (
     select * from tblPosts where PostID = @postID
     union all
     select * from tblPosts child 
     inner join posts parent where child.ParentID = parent.PostID
)
select * from posts order by PostID asc;

The mind-twisting part is the CTE, which is the last bit in the code block.  As all recursion is, it is self referencing.  The first half of the union represents the "base case", and the second part will query any posts with that parent's post ID as a parent ID.  Then it'll circle back around and query every post that has that result set's post ID as a parent ID.  This also has another bonus feature that, in loooong reply chains, you can chop off the head and just treat some random post as the topic (reddit does this extensively).  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

14 minutes ago, Rybo said:

This is SQL Server syntax, but hopefully it should still be legible.  It's also pretty ad hoc, so syntax errors are...likely.  

-- create single posts table
create tblPosts as (PostID int, Title varchar(max), Content varchar(max), ParentID int, DateCreated datetime2)

-- to create a new topic; notice parent ID of 0
insert into tblPosts values (1, 'New topic!', 'content!', 0, GETDATE());

-- to 'reply' to the topic
insert into tblPosts values (2, 'Optional response title!', 'content!', 1, GETDATE());

-- bonus feature: respond to responses!
insert into tblPosts values (3, 'Optional response title!', 'content!', 2, GETDATE());

--get all topics
select * from tblPosts where ParentID = 0 order by PostID asc;

--get full tree from a given PostID
declare @postID int = 1
with posts as (
     select * from tblPosts where PostID = @postID
     union all
     select * from tblPosts child 
     inner join posts parent where child.ParentID = parent.PostID
)
select * from posts order by PostID asc;

The mind-twisting part is the CTE, which is the last bit in the code block.  As all recursion is, it is self referencing.  The first half of the union represents the "base case", and the second part will query any posts with that parent's post ID as a parent ID.  Then it'll circle back around and query every post that has that result set's post ID as a parent ID.  This also has another bonus feature that, in loooong reply chains, you can chop off the head and just treat some random post as the topic (reddit does this extensively).  

There's a bunch of extra metadata on topics beyond that of the posts it contains (mostly denormalized data for efficient rendering, such as the number of posts or last reply), which you could put on a post but it just ends up making things unnecessarily complicated for no particular benefit.

Having a linked list of posts rather than just parenting them to the topic makes sense if you have a tree of replies (such as in Reddit), but not so much when it's just a linked list as it would be here - to get to page 41, you have to traverse the 1000 posts on pages 1 through 40 first, rather than potentially utilising an index, and stuff goes weird when you start removing posts. Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work for a forum structured like this.

HTTP/2 203

17 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Having a linked list of posts rather than just parenting them to the topic makes sense if you have a tree of replies (such as in Reddit), but not so much when it's just a linked list as it would be here - to get to page 41, you have to traverse the 1000 posts on pages 1 through 40 first, rather than potentially utilising an index, and stuff goes weird when you start removing posts. Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work for a forum structured like this.

Keep in mind that replying to replies is a fringe benefit that you don't have to utilize.  Thus, the tree can be one layer deep: the topic with a parent ID of 0 and 0 to 4 some-odd billion replies with a parent ID of 1.  So you'd get most of the benefits of having a separate 'topics' and 'posts' table -- decent indexing, windowing functions should work, etc, with the atomicity of a post and all of its relevant metadata springing into existence at the same time.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

3 hours ago, Rybo said:

So you'd get most of the benefits of having a separate 'topics' and 'posts' table

Wouldn't having topics and replies in separate tables cause further complicatons when merging or splitting posts? If you merge a post you would need to turn the topic in to a reply. Vice versa for splitting replies off in to their own thread where a reply would become a topic.

It's pretty rare to see -1 posts in the recent topic list, and aside from a little confusion on the off chance someone even notices it, it doesn't cause any actual problems. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I think the only time I've seen that was right after the forum update back in November or some time around there. Was more common then since there were performance issues with the recent posts section. So it was pretty common to see that or post counts not matching up with the count on the subforum page. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

Wouldn't having topics and replies in separate tables cause further complicatons when merging or splitting posts? If you merge a post you would need to turn the topic in to a reply. Vice versa for splitting replies off in to their own thread where a reply would become a topic.

It's pretty rare to see -1 posts in the recent topic list, and aside from a little confusion on the off chance someone even notices it, it doesn't cause any actual problems. 

Yeah, that's what I've been getting at.  The benefits I was referring to were at the system level: performance benefits, primarily.  The costs of maintaining two different tables are: you either have to wrap topic creation into a transaction (which this forum's vendor software didn't do) or put patches and band-aids all throughout the app (which I suspect they attempted to do, albeit incompletely).

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD