Response to Linus' Terrible Non-Apology About RAID Sponsorship

LAwLz
5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I declare WereCatf's Rule of MicrotransactionsTM here:

• If a game has microtransactions, it will sooner or later attempt to pull off dirty tactics in an effort to get more money out of people. No exceptions.

In World of Warships the grind is unbearable,you can only bypass the grind by buying the ship you want in the game with real money.

The only game i know of that the micro-transaction in it didn't hinder the gameplay was Total War: Arena,

The sad news is that it was killed by Sega 😞

So here is a video of me doing an epic strategic move:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Sorry, what disaster? Dyson having campaign where they sponsored bunch of tech-tubers at once, making it look like big cliché? Are the products actually bad? AFAIK Dyson still is premium cleaning hardware manufacturer, and has sponsored another video after that said spot. Plus Linus, and iJustine, said to be using the hardware. So what disaster you mean here?

The one it did to their reputation in the algorithm.

Yes it's only one video, but that doesn't mean it had zero impact.

80/20 is really not what you want.

And while you are correct that it is premium cleaning hardware. It really didn't fit the channel.

It's just a battery powered electric motor with some fancy lights. That's barely tech tbh.

If it was a robot vacuum it wouldn't be too bad because it has actual tech in it.

Also the fact they just threw a PC in it the next time Dyson sponsored a video really shows that they had to change something to avoid such a bad ratio again.

It still had a 90/10 ratio which isn't great, but is at least a lot better than before.

PS: the damn thing was 700 bucks, you can buy a decent robot vacuum for that money. Also no RGB, WTF.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

31 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Linus said (in 2017, 2018, or 2019? Can't look up video as am on stupid Chromebook) that he had wanted to cut down on sponsorship funding, as it was around 50%, and it was then maybe 25%. He did this to make sure that LMG wasn't at the mercy of the sponsors.

lttstore.com

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

Response to the Response to the Response:

People arguing about every tiny thing LMG does is more annoying than anything LMG does.

I don't watch any of their stuff and I just can't understand why anybody gives the slightest of shits. Skip over the ad like a normal person.

#Muricaparrotgang

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That makes the whole thing worse in my eyes. Your viewers are mad that you got sponsored by a shitty product and when they try to justify it in their heads they go “well maybe they got paid a lot and it was too good of a deal, that’s why they are trying to shove a shitty product on me” and your response is “no we actually did the sponsor spot for less money than we should have.

It is not up to Linus to determine if a product is "good". On TV if you see an add for Tims but it turns out that the coffee tastes like piss and their doughnuts are hard as rocks, you don't blame the TV network for taking a Tims ad spot. Same here, someone goes to Tims because you "like" the taste of coffee-water or it is their only option. People play RAID because they "like" the experience they offer. Linus is not the judge of all things, you do that.

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I feel like you switched argument in the middle of the paragraph here, probably because it’s live but I want to address both parts.

To me it sounds like you are, again, trying to deflect criticism. I didn’t even watch the video but by your own admission the words you said in the video mislead your viewers and now you are trying to put the blame on your viewers for being mislead because “you should know I don’t do everything personally”. That’s a shitty excuse. Do you just read anything sponsors put in the teleprompter without questioning it? Because your defense right now sounds like that’s what you are doing. 

I agree with you here. At least with Hardware Canucks they make a separate "ad" to insert in post. While doing it the Linus way makes it seem like he is giving an endorsement. I think they should consider adding the sponsor in post. Since the early Floatplane videos don't have sponsor spots anyway you can wait till the Youtube upload to decide on the sponsor without wasting time during the shoot.

21 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I don’t see how this is relevant to your viewers. By choosing to be sponsored by a company, you agree to endorse their product.

I think you got sponsor and endorsement confused as the same thing, they are not. Again, the difference is like a TV ad vs a ad featuring the actor/sportsman. I still don't agree with having the host doing the ad segment on set.

The main thing that you are complaining about is that Linus took a sponsor from a game that you personally do not like. However, even if that is the majority opinion of their viewers, that doesn't make the content any less enjoyable. The rating of a game is a personal preference. There are some objective factors but it is mostly personal preference. As in the above, Tims is still in business despite serving coffee that I believe is terrible. But people keep drinking it so they must be doing something right.

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

There's so much raging about this Raid-game and its microtransactions and its scummy tactics, but then people go full 100% hypocrites and let the tank-game or the battleship-game or whatnot slide, because they happen to like those games. This thread is quite literally OOZING hypocrisy like a radioactive container with sludge inside and a hole on the side.

I hate raid, wold of .... basically anything pay to win. Even games I use to play a lot like War thunder (not insane micro transactions but still bad) I hate on how they do it

Now LTTs change over the last few years from we ask the community and vet to whatever we don't care is not something I like.
It use to be LTT didn't let bad companies sponsor them. Yes they did a few very dumb and BS paid videos, Vacuum, Monday ect.
They canned at least a few back in the day for being bad and not fixing it.

I already put LTT in the watch for fun at 2x speed and this move is making me closer to not watch at all. Certainly I won't be buying any merch again.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 minutes ago, Mao_Zedong01 said:

It is not up to Linus to determine if a product is "good". On TV if you see an add for Tims but it turns out that the coffee tastes like piss and their doughnuts are hard as rocks, you don't blame the TV network for taking a Tims ad spot. Same here, someone goes to Tims because you "like" the taste of coffee-water or it is their only option. People play RAID because they "like" the experience they offer. Linus is not the judge of all things, you do that.

thing is LTT use to say hey we've tried Tims for a while and we like it.
and if you got a bad cup and a rotting doughnut and complained to LTT with proof they'd step in pressure Tims to change and if not they'd stop being sponsored.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I declare WereCatf's Rule of MicrotransactionsTM here:

• If a game has microtransactions, it will sooner or later attempt to pull off dirty tactics in an effort to get more money out of people. No exceptions.

Sounds about right

6 hours ago, Radiolint said:

That or being forced to browse LtTsToReDoTcOm for a few hours.

Hey man, what you're trying to say? I think LTTstore.com is actually very well-designed and seems very well thought-out (I love the sort by date functionality), unlike merch sites for some other YouTubers who have to create a new freaking URL for every single different merch-selling campaign (*cough* Jacksfilms)

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Look, I don't want to be rude, but you are quite new here and there's more to my opinions on how Lawlz is than just this thread, and the one linked. If you read the one linked, I think you would understand why I'm annoyed to be quoted in this thread and out of context

No worries I understand; although TBF my first post on this forum (in the Tech News subsection) was certainly a bit clickbait-y, guess who was one of the first to repeatedly critique that post even after I apologized and revised it to the best of my abilities 😉 (don't worry I didn't actually feel harassed in anyway)

I'm still annoyed about those ad spots for LastPass and Backblaze.

Oh sht Backblaze's B2 was the only pay-by-usage backup solution that I could find and use for my Ubuntu backups before I switched to external HDDs.  I wish companies would stop treating Linux desktop distros like 2nd-tier OS's 😞

They could have hired community manager long time ago. A person who oversees (aka would be tagged) anytime sponsor, store, ID claim or anything else was troubling community. Maybe their social media rep could do some of that?

That sounds like an EXCELLENT IDEA, although TBF I think that being a community manager is already a full-time job in and of itself.  Everyone, MAKE SURE LINUS AT LEAST CONSIDERS THIS IDEA 🙂

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

thing is LTT use to say hey we've tried Tims for a while and we like it.
and if you got a bad cup and a rotting doughnut and complained to LTT with proof they'd step in pressure Tims to change and if not they'd stop being sponsored.

Guess getting big ment some of the stuff you see from large networks.

55 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:
1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Linus said (in 2017, 2018, or 2019? Can't look up video as am on stupid Chromebook) that he had wanted to cut down on sponsorship funding, as it was around 50%, and it was then maybe 25%. He did this to make sure that LMG wasn't at the mercy of the sponsors.

lttstore.com

LTTtrash.com 😜

Just now, linuxChips2600 said:

LTTtrash.com 😜

LMGsucks.net

It just works so well.

Anyway, my (few) thoughts:
1. If you're going to comment on something, have some experience in it. Don't just come barreling in with "This because this as this is how this works, so this is bad!".

2. Companies aren't run by gods. They're run by humans, and humans can make dumb mistakes.

3. We're getting close to the 1-year COVID lockdown anniversary in the US.

elephants

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

LMGsucks.net

Please see attached photo 😞 (I wasn't using a firewall at the time btw)

7 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

2. Companies aren't run by gods. They're run by humans, and humans can make dumb mistakes.

Agreed, and I found that LMG (out of basically all companies I know) is perhaps the most consistent in ultimately handling any situation with integrity (this is also to clarify a comment I made earlier about LMG ultimately solving issues with integrity).

uh_oh.png

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

The one it did to their reputation in the algorithm.

Ah, so you mean like/dislike-ratio. Since I'm not content creator in huge sense, I don't really see how much effect that would have in grand scheme. For me disliking video for ad spot, or some of the other reasons people dislike videos on YT (Youtubes own ad spots, video being randomly autoplayed for them etc.) is same as half of people who review products on Amazon or Newegg. As in they don't review product, they review courier and shop/seller. Which makes it bit pointless metric to be used. Viewer retention or time spent on videos would be more telling.

28 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

That sounds like an EXCELLENT IDEA, although TBF I think that being a community manager is already a full-time job in and of itself.  Everyone, MAKE SURE LINUS AT LEAST CONSIDERS THIS IDEA 🙂

Thing is that it takes years for LMG to take on any of my suggestions. Community manager being one, making someone producer of their live streams being another. Thought while Chase seems to be doing that (while he might have been hired for LTX?), he doesn't do it for WAN where I think they still have room to improve.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thing is that it takes years for LMG to take on any of my suggestions. Community manager being one, making someone producer of their live streams being another.

Are you positive that it simply isn't because LMG is resource-constrained (at least so far)? Like, you're a freaking moderator on one of their most important platforms (or does getting paid also have a lot to do with it?)

I guess it is at least somewhat understandable that LMG doesn't "take your advice right away" because "you're not an employee," but Lord I hope that's not actually the case and TBF I think that you deserve as much respect as a typical LMG employee if not more, as Linus himself has informed his audience that forum moderators are all volunteers willingly helping out and making sure (as much as possible) everything in the forum is following community guidelines.

6 minutes ago, linuxChips2600 said:

Are you positive that it simply isn't because LMG is resource-constrained (at least so far)? Like, you're a freaking moderator on one of their most important platforms (or does getting paid also have a lot to do with it?)

The last time they commented the producer part was that it would have only been useful for WAN Show (I disagree as someone in producer role could have been able to coordinate larger video projects). They only started even using producer-role when they started doing live-builds on Twitch/YT. It was Anthony/Jake doing it, reading chat and monitoring audio quality.

I've been moderator for only 1.5 years. Forum member from start, LTT viewer since 2012. Moderator is voluntary position without actual pay.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It currently sits at around 41%, according to their latest revenue breakdown.

I don't know why everyone is hating on RAID so hard. So people are sponsored to advertise it. Big deal. I started playing it after seeing sponsored ad for it on Demolition Ranch. Was playing it almost religiously until I upgraded all the village stuff like gem mine, that pit thing for auto XP generating. But after months I got bored of the grind and stopped playing it. Decided not to pay anything for the e-goods because they are priced beyond absurd for goods that are essentially worthless, like ALL the cosmetics in games.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

It currently sits at around 41%, according to their latest revenue breakdown.

Honestly that makes sense given everything I know so far

@LogicalDrmHave you at least contacted LMG directly about your community manager/producer ideas AND got a MINIMUM response of "Yes we'll look into it"?  I have a hard time imagining LMG ignoring even the most loyal and helpful of their community members...

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i don't like it when linus covers chinese bands such as realme/honor/xiaomi etc, i simply decide to skip those episodes. 

And I'm of the opposite opinion. I find it frustrating that true hardware alternatives like Huawei, Xiaomi et al are not covered as much as they could be, or as much as they are on other channels. Rather than the same brands consistently toted on LTT/Short Circuit, it would be nice and refreshing for LTT and its viewers to step outside the box.

Now, perhaps they've done some of those videos before, like Oppo, Xiaomi, ZTE, and the stats weren't promising, so they've shied away from them; but doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of the same stuff re-hashed a lot of the time.

8 minutes ago, divito said:

And I'm of the opposite opinion. I find it frustrating that true hardware alternatives like Huawei, Xiaomi et al are not covered as much as they could be, or as much as they are on other channels. Rather than the same brands consistently toted on LTT/Short Circuit, it would be nice and refreshing for LTT and its viewers to step outside the box.

Now, perhaps they've done some of those videos before, like Oppo, Xiaomi, ZTE, and the stats weren't promising, so they've shied away from them; but doesn't change the fact that it's a lot of the same stuff re-hashed a lot of the time.

given xiaomi and parent companies serve ads in literally everything including their file manager and some sort of data is going through a chinese server without consent, i don't trust their phones one bit, and i don't want to see tubers promoting their shit to anyone either. that's just me, becasue they only talk about day 1 experience, what they don't know is xiaomi or whatever the fuck companies start to add ads after 6-12 months, they literally add a fake screen even on install/uninstall to force users to click on an add

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

15 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

given xiaomi and parent companies serve ads in literally everything including their file manager and some sort of data is going through a chinese server without consent, i don't trust their phones one bit, and i don't want to see tubers promoting their shit to anyone either. that's just me, becasue they only talk about day 1 experience, what they don't know is xiaomi or whatever the fuck companies start to add ads after 6-12 months, they literally add a fake screen even on install/uninstall to force users to click on an add

I can't personally speak to Xiaomi, but given the phone enthusiasts that use them, if it was that bad, they wouldn't be recommended as much as they are. And for Huawei, I've had no ads in any of their applications since getting a P30 Pro when it came out.

As for the Chinese server stuff, I don't really have a tinfoil hat for that kind of stuff. I'm signed up and use most of Google's services, on top of countless other things. Even if somehow, some of my data is going through Chinese servers, it's far less actionable than all the other information I'm giving to North American companies.

3 minutes ago, divito said:

As for the Chinese server stuff, I don't really have a tinfoil hat for that kind of stuff. I'm signed up and use most of Google's services

as long as my data is not going to china, i'm happy. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

4 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

as long as my data is not going to china, i'm happy. 

Meh, as long as your devices connected to the Internet, chances are, everyone is watching you, even if you don't even go to any of the website hosted by that country or even using a VPN.

Yes, VPN can shield your data, but only from their server to your device. Whatever you do on the Internet, people can still snoop your information. They may not know where you lived or who you really are, but they can identify your pattern and know your browsing habit.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yes, VPN can shield your data, but only from their server to your device.

no, no it doesn't.

VPN isn't a security measure, this is marketing BS VPN resellers are peddling. All it does is obfuscate your ISP / location.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !