Fridge turned popcorn machine - Thermaltake reveals Tower 100 mini-ITX chassis

tikker

Summary

After the absolutely massive 25 kg beast that was the Thermaltake Tower 900, in June last year the company announced its little brother: the Tower 100 mini-ITX case. At CES 2021 they have now revealed it. No pricing has been announced yet, but a release date of "end of January" for the US and Canada are mentioned. It will be available in black and white and takes up 463x266x266 mm on your desk. It focusses on a ''vertical design'', as they say, to reduce its footprint and help heat extraction through a chimney effect.

KYPz8LuiCUq2kJuW.jpg

EHgFc6Yfhf86edlm.jpg

Quotes

TechpowerUp

Thermaltake, the leading PC DIY premium brand for Case, Cooling, Gaming peripherals, and enthusiast memory solutions, announces the launch of the brand new mini-tower gaming PC case, the Tower 100. Based on the award-winning Tower 900, "Pocket-sized" down into a mini-ITX Form factor powerhouse, take on compact cooling and showcase the build with the perfect presentation.

With airflow in mind, cable management is also covered throughout the Tower 100 with a custom cover plate. Modular cut out for larger graphic cards, supporting native "No Sag" vertical mounting, provides a convenient way to hide the GPU cables and easily connect to the power supply located at the back of the case.

Backed by a limited 3-year warranty, the Tower 100 will be available in the US and Canada in late January.

AnandTech

According to Thermaltake, these chassis are designed for optimal airflow, and include two 120 mm 1000 RPM cooling fans, with one preinstalled in the top, and another in the bottom. It has support for additional fans including one 120/140 mm in the top, one 120/140 mm in above the PSU cover, and one 120/140 mm in the rear. Users can also install a 120 mm AIO CPU cooler in the top, with maximum clearance for a CPU cooler standing at 190 mm. It also includes capabilities to install graphics cards with a maximum length of up to 330 mm, which is fine for cards such as the NVIDIA RTX 3080, but a little short for the top-spec RTX 3090.

My thoughts

Personally I really liked the Tower 900, but after considering it for a bit it was just too large and heavy for me. This shrunk down version of it makes it a much more considerable option for people I think, although in some aspects such as available fan space it might be a tad too small or offer too little for its size.

I love the big open view the three glass panels give, and it's the first time I have seen a vertical GPU mount this way. They claim its verticality will have a chimney effect in removing heat from the chassis and I'm inclined to believe it may actually hold some ground. It's refreshing to see a case where the tempered glass does not obstruct the exhaust like e.g. in my Corsair 570X. On that same note however I'm a little worried/confused where it will get its supply of fresh air from and I don't see this as a particularly attractive option for watercooling (something I really hoped for when I saw it). I hope to be surprised and to see some cool loops attempted with it thought!

Any thoughts on this?

Sources

TechpowerUp

AnandTech

Thermaltake product page

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I've never bought a thermaltake product and went "you know, the quality of this is nice"

All their stuff (In the past) has felt very cheap to me.

Have they changed?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Some of their cases and PSUs are good.

Some is right lol. The smart series is historically bad.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The chimney effect by the vaguely household chimney shaped case is beyond useless.  Household chimneys are meant to use the chimney effect on what is basically a multi thousand watt heat source and the were made out of brick so the actual chimney vent was MUCH narrower.  Anyone here olde enough to remember the MacChimney?  Was used for old toaster macs and it actually did work.  Thing had a flue a foot long and about  the size of a half dollar.  

None the less.  I like this.  Good form factor.  Is it available without glass?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A quick read of the chimney effect on wikipedia causes me to call BS on the science in the marketing.

Is the GPU hard against glass?

I would prefer this with mesh panels all around and space for a mATX board.

7 minutes ago, Mling said:

A quick read of the chimney effect on wikipedia causes me to call BS on the science in the marketing.

Thatll be called Tower 100 Airflow

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The chimney effect by the vaguely household chimney shaped case is beyond useless.  Household chimneys are meant to use the chimney effect on what is basically a multi thousand watt heat source and the were made out of brick so the actual chimney vent was MUCH narrower.  Anyone here olde enough to remember the MacChimney?  Was used for old toaster macs and it actually did work.  Thing had a flue a foot long and about  the size of a half dollar.  

My next PC case will be a Mexican Chiminea.

10 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

This doesn't seem like a chimney. No perpendicular airflow on the top to suck out hot air from inside.

There is (room for) a 120mm fan on the top.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Haven't seen anything about a non-glass version so far sadly. Especially a full mesh panel for the side the GPU is on would probably be nice.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I've never bought a thermaltake product and went "you know, the quality of this is nice"

Have they changed?

I have a thermal take case (Thermaltake View 31 TG) and I think it looks/feels high quality? Was rather nice to build in thanks to the amount of space it has.

When Iook at that it reminds me of 3D printers

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 1/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Have they changed?

I've had their mice and keyboards for solid 6 years now - still work like a charm. The particular mouse (BMW design) was not the best ergonomically (the reason why I switched brands), but it sure is robust.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Interesting. If I saw a point to having a PC on a desk then this is likely something I'd consider. Always liked the look of the larger one.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Have they changed?

Their higher end mice are some of the nicest mice I've ever owned. Helps that BMW helped design them.

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Meh what's the point of going mini ITX if the case is going to be 32 liters?

Keeps the overall size of the case small if you want something of this style.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 1/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, Mling said:

I agree with the whole “not actually a chimney” thing.  I would call it ‘top vent’ there aren’t any actual chimney effect cases that aren’t fantastically expensive finned aluminum things. And they will use laminar flow effect to make a sort of 3 sided chimney using the big metal fins on the out side. The MacChimney was this goofy looking cardboard thing that was still like a foot tall. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I wonder if my playing a recent video game caused me to think differently about this thing. It was a physics simulator game.  Looking at it now, I never noticed that back vent. A top fan would I think maybe just suck air in from mostly that vent and not across the parts.  Plus negative pressure only case. It still the styling nice I guess.  I thought the form factor might be handy.  This may depend a lot on how much it sells for as to whether it’s a “worth it” or not.  I got a nasty suspicion simulations weren’t even done on this thing.

Edited by Bombastinator

I REALLY don't need any other cases/PCs right now, but I'm interested in turning it into an actual tempered glass popcorn maker.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

On 1/10/2021 at 7:37 PM, Mihle said:

When Iook at that it reminds me of 3D printers

Thats because it was made with one, apparently! 

Who thought having a gpu right against a glass wall was a good idea though...? 

I wish people would stop trying to invent the wheel all the time, but most companies seem to think their products wouldn't sell without gimmicks. 

5 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

popcorn maker

well, thanks, now I can't unsee it...  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder