RIP Adobe Flash, you changed the internet forever but you will not be missed

Master Disaster

How do I even uninstall it.

Spoiler

image.png.68aa476f40ff66df88a908a5e7d5f033.png

It's there, in my control panel, but it's nowhere in the "Programs and features" for me to uninstall it. Heck, I don't even know how the F it installed itself in the first place. I sure never installed it after my last format last November. I tried using some uninstaller tools, and it wasn't in there either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

How do I even uninstall it.

Hide contents

It's there, in my control panel, but it's nowhere in the "Programs and features" for me to uninstall it. Heck, I don't even know how the F it installed itself in the first place. I sure never installed it after my last format last November. I tried using some uninstaller tools, and it wasn't in there either.

Yeah, MS bundle it with Windows 10. This will change very soon though, they will be disabling & removing it from Windows this month.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Are there any ways to run flash games that I have after this update? Something like an emulator or converter?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Are there any ways to run flash games that I have after this update? Something like an emulator or converter?

The Internet Archive have a working Emulator and are currently on a mass preservation drive for Flash content. You can upload to Archive.org, help them out and view your content.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

You can take a look at Ruffle, which is a flash emulator of sorts.

Flash was great early on, but it was arguably in trouble a long, long time ago.

Remember 2010, when people were blasting Apple for sticking to HTML5 on the web because it saw Flash as a proprietary format with performance and security issues? And how Google, BlackBerry and other companies eagerly chained themselves to Flash because it was supposedly vital to the internet?

Oh, that was a slow motion train wreck. BlackBerry effectively built the PlayBook tablet around "but it runs Flash" and... well, we know how that turned out. Google, meanwhile, spent years backpedaling from that mistake and got to the point where it was actively blocking Flash by 2016. Hell, Adobe itself ditched mobile Flash in 2011. You could practically hear Apple's "I told you so" as the industry went from worshipping Flash to recoiling in horror.

To be clear, HTML5 had to grow to become as strong a Flash replacement as it is now, and it's easier to embrace the standard with newer hardware. But I'd say that Flash was already past its prime by 2010 and that it should've been on its way out sooner.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Flash was great early on, but it was arguably in trouble a long, long time ago.

Remember 2010, when people were blasting Apple for sticking to HTML5 on the web because it saw Flash as a proprietary format with performance and security issues? And how Google, BlackBerry and other companies eagerly chained themselves to Flash because it was supposedly vital to the internet?

Oh, that was a slow motion train wreck. BlackBerry effectively built the PlayBook tablet around "but it runs Flash" and... well, we know how that turned out. Google, meanwhile, spent years backpedaling from that mistake and got to the point where it was actively blocking Flash by 2016. Hell, Adobe itself ditched mobile Flash in 2011. You could practically hear Apple's "I told you so" as the industry went from worshipping Flash to recoiling in horror.

To be clear, HTML5 had to grow to become as strong a Flash replacement as it is now, and it's easier to embrace the standard with newer hardware. But I'd say that Flash was already past its prime by 2010 and that it should've been on its way out sooner.

You missed the best point out of this anecdote. in 2015 Adobe straight up told everyone to stop using Flash entirely. Even Adobe knew it was a trainwreck and I think by 2010 they really couldn't be bothered to maintain it and iterate on it any more so as the web changed around it, it just sat there stagnating.

Edit - Thinking about it, the fact it took so long to disappear entirely is a great testament to just how essential it was to the early days of the multimedia internet. By 2010 pretty much everyone was over it, in 2015 its creator abandoned it and it still took 5 years to reach the point where you don't need it any more.

Such a love-hate relationship for me..

So many good childhood memories, some fun starts with learning programming, and even recently in college !

But man, I do absolutely hate animating in it xD it's horrendous imo.

Even recently though, some bigger online games that were using flash were shutdown and honestly I'm going to miss them. Hordes (or die2nite for the Americans) will always remain one of my favorite online cooperative strategy game ever.

And remember when websites were made with Flash !?

Man.. the loading screen was annoying but the animations..

Goodbye 😭

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Such a love-hate relationship for me..

So many good childhood memories, some fun starts with learning programming, and even recently in college !

But man, I do absolutely hate animating in it xD it's horrendous imo.

Even recently though, some bigger online games that were using flash were shutdown and honestly I'm going to miss them. Hordes (or die2nite for the Americans) will always remain one of my favorite online cooperative strategy game ever.

And remember when websites were made with Flash !?

Man.. the loading screen was annoying but the animations..

Goodbye 😭

Farmville was closed down on Dec 30th of last year because it was built in Flash and that game was massive.

It will be missed for sure. Hundreds of hours of fun in Flash games.

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

F for the Flash games.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

43 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

F for the Flash games.

But you can to run old Windows in virtual machine for to play Flash games ;)

And I have a few little games SWF (Yeti kicks penguin and girl on bike kicks boy, for to get longest distance :D ) that works in Windows Media Classic :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

As a person that never personally had to deal with any of the negatives of Flash with its security problems and other myriad of issues, I can only say I remember it fondly. From what it looks like though, HTML5 is indeed a worthy successor and so its not like there won't be a replacement for the creativity and fun things that Flash enabled people to make. Its nice that there are a variety of projects and methods to preserve and emulate flash content so that at least a portion of the internet that was can be archived.

remember how shit HTML version of youtube was back then? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

25 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

remember how shit HTML version of youtube was back then? 

It's still, even in 2021, inexplicably missing some features - most notably the ability to force the video to buffer all the way through, thereby preventing it from pausing part way through to buffer. This was a significant boost in the experience on lower-end systems or slower connections

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm fine with things. I can still play all of my favourite flash games:
image.thumb.png.32847b3f80124ce1c5f7b0c3da370a60.png

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

32 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

It's still, even in 2021, inexplicably missing some features - most notably the ability to force the video to buffer all the way through, thereby preventing it from pausing part way through to buffer. This was a significant boost in the experience on lower-end systems or slower connections

That's more than likely done deliberately to try and prevent downloaders from being able to grab full videos.

flash still works on my machine

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yesterday was December 31st 2020, it was the end of a terrible year and also the end of what became a terrible piece of software. It was Adobes official end of life date for Flash Player.

As of yesterday Adobe recommends that anyone with Adobe Flash installed on their devices should remove it, most browsers already block flash content and Microsoft will be removing it from Windows PCs (likely on the next patch Tuesday). From January 12th 2021 Flash Player will stop playing Flash animations entirely and the final remnants of the first iteration of a multimedia internet will die forever.

Flash's death started in 2015 when Adobe recommended all web developers start using HTML5. Its taken 5 years but now its officially dead.

Of course there's now a huge push to archive as much flash content as possible before it dies permanently.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/31/22208190/adobe-flash-is-dead

Flash really did change the face of the internet. I remember the early days of the modern internet, we got our first family PC in the early 90s with dial up and 3 months free Compuserve. I remember surfing for hours, endless walls of green comic sans text on black backgrounds, larger images had to be physically downloaded to be viewed, every page had a visitor counter on it.

I was actually the perfect age for Flash, by the time I hit my late teens/twenties it was everywhere. Ebaums world was my favourite place, my mates and I would spend hours watching satire and nonsense.

RIP Flash

PC: Ryzen 7 2700X  RX 590 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3200MHZ RAM | Corsair 220T Case | MSI Gaming Plus MAX B450 Motherboard  

Phone: Samsung A41

Laptop: Asus Chromebook

Video editing enthusiast

Gameing

12 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

why does everyone hate Flash so much? i never had a security issue with it before... 

So, I used to be a ex-Flash software developer.

Here is why Flash was hated by everyone:

• Macromedia was taking real good care of Flash. I even recall light talks on considering to make it open source (so that it is integrated in web browsers, and be something like JavaScript). Of course, this never happened. This was probably due to being a big revenue for the company. And it didn't even cross the mind of the dev community really. Open-Source concept was all new to most people and seen as unproven in a way.

Then in 2005, Adobe bought Macromedia... sadly, Adobe didn't care about Flash... they bought the company for its other solutions such as: ColdFusion, Fireworks, and its various IP which they imported in their own software suites.

Soon after Adobe bought Flash, they rushed released a new version to replace Macromedia with Adobe branding, where this version was clearly in beta stages (so buggy, you could not put text in bold. Bug was never fixed... until the next version, which you had to pay hundreds to get).

• Macromedia was doing huge steps forwards in Flash development at each release. Since under the hands of Adobe, development was going at snail paste and lack luster. Worst, it also commanded Adobe pricing, making it super expensive for what you were getting, and featured Adobe quality which we all know and love. 

• Flash was too easy to develop. Flash was so easy to develop, that anyone could pick up and get started... included ad agency which didn't know anything on good coding, nor knew the strength and weaknesses of the platform... this led to VERY poorly optimized software. So, you had the following common issues:
    • Animated ads were the new thing, and no ad agency (or very few) knew how to make proper ads. They didn't know what works and doesn't. All done on the cheap, without any R&D. So, you had flash ads with 3sec music that auto-plays and loops nonstop, audio of people talking that auto plays at full blast in shit audio quality, terrible animations... everything to ruine one's web site and user experience.
    • Flash was vector-based graphics and CPU rendered. You know what CPUs hates the most? Doing vector graphics. That is why we have GPUs! GPUs love doing vectors. So, while you could do many things in Flash to pass things the GPU or reduce CPU load... it required knowledge, which most, if not all, ad makers and many developers of Flash didn't know. This ended up with shit experience to users. And if you are on a laptop, your system fan would be ramping up like crazy due to the CPU load, and your battery life being killed. Basically, you were surfing the web, but it was like you are playing a demanding game.

In fact, this is one of the reasons why ad-blockers were made in the first place. It was to kill that shit off. And this is when Google stepped in, with its new ad model, which was ads that didn't use Flash, had no animations and no images. It was text only. Google proved that you could make effective ads. But companies insisted in graphics, so we have what we have today.

• Full Flash websites. Some site where made like that. Why make a site using HTML/CSS/JS which are quick to fetch with the slow connections at the time, and easily cached, powered by powerful and super well optimized rendering engine, when you can scrap all that and use Flash, and make them wait ages with their 1-5Mbps connection because the maker decided to have this annoying, full blasted music with its annoying animations. And the cheery on the top, as it was all wonderfully made, back/forward navigation support wasn't supported. You hit back, you lost everything, you are out of the site... you had to go back, and re-download the whole things. I did encounter sites that forces you to see a "Welcome" video before you could navigate on the site. So, you had to watch that again.

I have already decompiled (easy to do) a Flash based ad, and the ad maker used a for-loop inside another for-loop, inside another for-loop, when it could have easily been done with a single for-loop.  This is the coding quality you see. No regards in anything. If you have no idea what I just said, think that this kind of coding... art.... is what gets you fired from a software developer jobs. This is how bad it is.

• Because Adobe effectively killed Flash (all devs knew) since they bought them, Adobe never worked on optimization, never worked on making it fully GPU rendered. And smartphone was a thing by now, and the lack of GPU rendered, made it that phone CPUs could not handle Flash... or at least the "quality" work made by ads and many web "developers" at the time.

Basically, Apple refusal to have Flash, "due to security concerns" was just Steve Jobs being polite to Adobe. I haven't seen Flash on any smartphone. All we got was Flash Lite, which was garbage. Basically, video playback support and that was about it... Apple knew that under Adobe hands it won't go anywhere, and just pushed HTML5. As all web devs knew that Flash was dead since Adobe got them, the push on HTML5 and JS as a solution to replace Flash was in prime focused. A few years later, we had just that, and it quickly replaced Flash. WebGL of course took care of games and any advance animations and introduced 3D graphics ('cause why not... we are now using the GPUs).

• Security issues, backed with Adobe world-renowned speed and quality work in fixing them.

So, in the end, while Flash revolutionized the Internet in huge ways, it was quickly hated by not only its users, but also security experts and even its very own developers. And I guess, the way Flash was treated by Adobe, you can say that even Adobe hated Flash. Everyone hated it.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

That's more than likely done deliberately to try and prevent downloaders from being able to grab full videos.

not like that's stopping ppl from doing just that 5 years later

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

No. It was done to reduce datacenter/service load. Why should it stream a video to a person that isn't watching?