RIP Adobe Flash, you changed the internet forever but you will not be missed

Master Disaster
On 1/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, Master Disaster said:

K Lite Codec Pack installs one

Do not encourage ppl to bork their systems. Just get VLC or any other modern media player which has all of the codecs built in instead of trashing the OS.  If a file couldnt be played by these it doesnt worth the trouble.

thanks XKCD

flash_gatsby.png.46537ba76cec5d943b986d418b7298d2.png

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Do not encourage ppl to bork their systems. Just get VLC or any other modern media player which has all of the codecs built in instead of trashing the OS.  If a file couldnt be played by these it doesnt worth the trouble.

1) I mentioned it in passing, I did not recommend anyone install it.

2) I've used K Lite Codec Pack for going on 10 years, it has never caused me or anybody I know a single issue.

3) What business is it of yours what other people decide to do with their own systems?

4) Installing a codec to play weird file formats is not any trouble.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

40 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

2) I've used K Lite Codec Pack for going on 10 years, it has never caused me or anybody I know a single issue.

I dont have enough fingers and toes to count how many times i have seen an os got borked from installing codec packs...  They are pretty much obsolete at this point in time, players moved on and started to favor internal codecs instead of messing with the OS.

41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

3) What business is it of yours what other people decide to do with their own systems?

If someone is about to do something stupid i think its just fair to warn them about it.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, divito said:

Sad to say goodbye; Macromedia really helped pave the way with Flash, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks for web content. In fairness to Adobe, they did alright with them after acquisition.

Things like eBaum's before it got horrendous, Newgrounds, etc... helped the internet become a lot more fun back in the day with creative videos and games. Or marveling at places like 2Advanced Studios and others developing crazy flash websites and pushing the boundaries.

Newgrounds was my jam. The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny....as a young'un that end really got me.

This all piqued my curiosity as to how they kept all those old flash videos/games running smoothly? From their bbs, seems like they tried several approaches from 2017-2020. Does anyone know if this still the current implementation with Rust-based emulation via Ruffle?

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont have enough fingers and toes to count how many times i have seen an os got borked from installing codec packs...  They are pretty much obsolete at this point in time, players moved on and started to favor internal codecs instead of messing with the OS.

Maybe I prefer codecs to be installed and available system wide?

There's a good reason why K Lite is still in active development and popular today while its alternatives all died a long time ago. It works and it works well. Heck it even comes with its own utility that scans the system for broken codec associations and, if possible repairs them or if not then remove them from the system.

If someone is about to do something stupid i think its just fair to warn them about it.

Isn't it possible that you're applying a misconception to something that in reality is actually benign? Programs install system libraries all of the time, a codec is no different to a VC++ runtime library and as long as its installed correctly poses no danger to the system at all.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Maybe I prefer codecs to be installed and available system wide?

There's a good reason why K Lite is still in active development and popular today while its alternatives all died a long time ago. It works and it works well. Heck it even comes with its own utility that scans the system for broken codec associations and, if possible repairs them or if not then remove them from the system.

Isn't it possible that you're applying a misconception to something that in reality is actually benign? Programs install system libraries all of the time, a codec is no different to a VC++ runtime library and as long as its installed correctly poses no danger to the system at all.

This is off topic, however on this forum there was a lot of people with issues with codec packs, K Lite and CCCP included.

I am glad that now Windows 10 has all the popular codec built-in, making it useless to install any codec pack for the great majority of people.

4 hours ago, AlphaTango359 said:

Newgrounds was my jam. The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny....as a young'un that end really got me.

This all piqued my curiosity as to how they kept all those old flash videos/games running smoothly? From their bbs, seems like they tried several approaches from 2017-2020. Does anyone know if this still the current implementation with Rust-based emulation via Ruffle?

Lol, Ultimate Showdown is amazing. I remember using proxies in high school to play it in our computer lab.