Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

any updates on this? @Maki Role

Wow it's really been quite a while hasn't it?  I've just been so busy recently that I haven't been able to make a large amount of progress sadly, that and I'm having to be careful with funds this month.  I recently added the fill/drain ports to the build, although there isn't really much to photo there as they're just holes.  I'm picking up the fans tomorrow for the build, along with another radiator for my other project (which is progressing equally slowly right now).  It's annoying but there isn't much I can do right now, once I get the fans though I'll be able to get all the parts running on water properly.

I'm also working on the custom cables right now.  Turns out they're surprisingly complicated thanks to the tiny lengths I've chosen.  Because the 24pin is only 12cm long or so, trying to prevent the wires from crossing over in an ugly fashion isn't particularly easy.  Hopefully I'll be able to get this part really on the road this week though.

Sorry for those following (seriously 125 :D!) that this isn't a content update, but fear not, I'm just taking my time with this one.  Got to do it right after all.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

Wow it's really been quite a while hasn't it?  I've just been so busy recently that I haven't been able to make a large amount of progress sadly, that and I'm having to be careful with funds this month.  I recently added the fill/drain ports to the build, although there isn't really much to photo there as they're just holes.  I'm picking up the fans tomorrow for the build, along with another radiator for my other project (which is progressing equally slowly right now).  It's annoying but there isn't much I can do right now, once I get the fans though I'll be able to get all the parts running on water properly.

I'm also working on the custom cables right now.  Turns out they're surprisingly complicated thanks to the tiny lengths I've chosen.  Because the 24pin is only 12cm long or so, trying to prevent the wires from crossing over in an ugly fashion isn't particularly easy.  Hopefully I'll be able to get this part really on the road this week though.

Sorry for those following (seriously 125 :D!) that this isn't a content update, but fear not, I'm just taking my time with this one.  Got to do it right after all.

what about cable stitching?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I really like the different way to pipe the coolant through the system.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

I really like the different way to pipe the coolant through the system.

Yeah it has to be one of my favourite parts about watercooling.  There's simply so much variety and room for expression, means you can always come up with something unique and exciting.

what about cable stitching?

I will actually be sewing the cables, the issue isn't in keeping them ordered as such, it's the fact that the pinout reverses between the PSU and the motherboard.  In a normal build this isn't an issue at all as you can simply lead the cable around and twist it (it's practically a 1:1 pinout in that arrangement).  The difficulty here is that because the cable is so short and entirely visible, the wires that cross look rather unsightly, and they have to at some point.  I think I've come up with a good solution though, just going to take some time and practice.

Hi everybody!

Been following LTT for a while now, figured I should finally make an account in order to get involved with the community.  As a bit of background, I'm a student from the UK with a passion for modding and watercooling in particular.  Some of you may know me from reddit, where I'm an active member of /r/buildapc and a moderator at /r/watercooling, I'm also found on Bit-Tech under the same name.  I haven't actually been modding for that long, I probably started seriously not more than a couple years back.  Since then I've caught the bug and can't wait to launch into new projects the moment one is finished!

So to kick things off I thought I would share with you my current work in progress rig:

hnw1.jpg

The idea behind "Loramentum" was to make a rig that could be wall mounted but at the same time watercooled.  The challenge comes from how I also wanted the rig to be portable so that it could be taken to LAN events and to/fro home and university.  Naturally a simple mini-ITX rig in say an EVGA Hadron could have sufficed here, but I wanted to try something new and a bit more novel, at the expense of being a bit more portable.

The main construction itself is formed from a single piece of machined acrylic, which will not only provide the structure to the components, but also feature water channels for the coolant.  Protection during transport will be provided by a flight case that I'll also be building.

First up I'd like to thank EK Waterblocks who will be providing much of the watercooling equipment used in this build, I'd also like to thank Intel for sending me an i7 4770k to use in this build!

7kqb.jpg

So here's a hardware lowdown:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k

Motherboard: Asus Z87I-Pro

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz

GPU: Asus AMD R9 290

PSU: Corsair RM650

Storage: Samsun Evo in some undecided size (likely 512GB)

Cooling:

CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clean Gold

GPU Block: EK-FC R9-290X Acetal

Radiator: XSPC EX360 Crossflow

Pump: Laing D5 Vario with EK Clean Pump Top

Fittings: EK HD Adapters

Tubing: EK rigid acrylic tubing 10/12mm

Fans: Undecided but I'm likely to go for Noiseblocker eloops as they look simply fantastic

Concept Renders:

These were made using a combination of Autodesk Inventor and Blender, with the renders themselves being done in Cycles within Blender.  I find planning builds like this in 3D can be a great idea as it allows you to play with things like colour schemes and alternate parts very easily.

lu0b.jpg

dyxz.jpg

yci5.jpg

r1e3.jpg

21ci.jpg

jz4e.png

i4cm.png

pwd2.png

zg9t.png

3esn.png

For the case I've decided to go for the carbon vinyl look.  Not only is it easier to work with, but most of the people I asked said they preferred it, which certainly works for me.  I'm planning on having the RAM heatspreaders and GPU Plate/IO shield gold plated so that they match the theme.  You'll notice from the renders that the reservoir is actually built into the structure itself, it's definitely one of the parts I'm most looking forward to finishing.

And now for some actual components!

4rqb.jpg

iux0.jpg

I know you've all seen it before, but damn I love the look of these sticks.  Very different in person to how they appear in the promotional art though, the bars have much more texture to them, which is no bad thing.

6hwh.jpg

9uis.jpg

Dat box...

01iw.jpg

roqs.jpg

Sockets make for some cool macro shots.

eb0r.jpg

rm4b.jpg

And just for a laugh, this is where I'm keeping the components for now... Yeah I know, I don't think I've ever seen an emptier Phantom before.

96bq.jpg

And the award for the loudest stock component ever goes to the 290.  I knew the stock cooler was pretty loud, but I was truly taken aback just by how much, it's insane.

mjyh.jpg

Here's the machined part after a few goes with some coarser grit sandpaper.  I'll be slowly working my way up the grades, just need to order in some more of the high grit stuff first.

8pu6.jpg

ep7f.jpg

m5pw.jpg

Rough fitting session with the rad, pump and an old GTX 590.  That card is monstrously sized, much larger than the 290 (or at least it feels it), thankfully the holes line up with the ports etc. on the 290.

kqup.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the project!  I'm looking forward to being able to post more updates as well as getting involved with the awesome community here.like it so much im going to copy your setup but all in pink

Edited by alpenwasser
spoiler tags :)

like it so much im going to copy your setup but all in pink

Could you please remove the images when quoting someone?

-Everyone

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

subbed :)

CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87 GPU: Gigabyte WindForce 3 GTX 770 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @1600MHz 

PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD: Corsair Force GS 128GB HDD: 3TB WD Caviar Green, 2TB WD Caviar Black Headset: Steelseries 7H

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Corsair M65 Monitor: Samsung S27A950D CPU-Cooler: Corsair H100i

I am absolutely amazed by it all. Those renders make me want to get into 3d design.

My dream build is a watercooled 450D or 750D with a i7-4930k and 2 780 Ti's in SLI. My realistic build is a $1500 budget build. 

I need a job.

This is sexy, can't wait to see it progress!

Thanks man!  Hopefully I'll be able to get this one on the road a bit more pretty soon.

I am absolutely amazed by it all. Those renders make me want to get into 3d design.

Cheers man, I definitely suggest picking it up.  Not only is it really handy, but great fun once you get around things, feels great being able to put ideas down into something relatively tangible.

I think this will be one of the best builds to date, on the whole internet. It really is amazing. (I'm so exceptionally jealous)

Woah high praise indeed, just need to ensure that the final thing actually resembles the renders.  Whilst it's going pretty smoothly, I'm still unbelievably worried that it simply won't, still it's worth having something to strive for.

subbed :)

:D

like it so much im going to copy your setup but all in pink

Haha sounds a like a good idea, love a good bit of pink, very much an underused colour.  There are a load of great builds featuring it now though, which is great to see.

Teaser guys!

Well I'm currently working on the wiring, naturally it's proving to be absolutely infuriating.  Working with 16AWG wire is both bliss and hell.  On one hand it's beautiful to train, and not very hard to crimp, but fitting it into the connectors is a nightmare.  Turns out the RM650 connectors are a fair bit smaller on the PSU side.  Mobo side they're fine and it slides in without complaint, not so much on the PSU side.  So I'm taking my time with it instead, I'll probably have the 24pin done in a few days.  For now though, here are a couple of fresh shots:

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/4029/aqvn.jpg'>aqvn.jpg

7cxi9.jpg

24 pin done in a few days? That's taking your time all right. Looking great btw!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

24 pin done in a few days? That's taking your time all right. Looking great btw!

Thanks!  Yeah I could have done the whole thing yesterday, but no doubt it wouldn't have looked quite right.  The cables are almost entirely on show from PSU to mobo so there's no room for error.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, you still here? We need an update!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Holy Crap mor pics... PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU  :mellow:

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Hey Dude! This is awesome! MOAR updates! :D  Just wondering what is the dimensions of the case? Might plan one like this. Only problem is I have no experience in modding.  :mellow:

Every time I read builds like this I feel very inferior and wish I could just pay someone to make the PC for me because good grief, I know I would never have the patience or skill to do something like this.

Great build! 

• 3 weeks later...

I am extremely interested in this...

Mmh... yes, very.

Hey, you still here? We need an update!

Holy Crap mor pics... PLEASE IM BEGGING YOU  :mellow:

Let's see if we can rectify this eh?

Hey Dude! This is awesome! MOAR updates! :D  Just wondering what is the dimensions of the case? Might plan one like this. Only problem is I have no experience in modding.  :mellow:

Thanks!  I actually haven't planned the exact dimensions of the case yet, although the board itself is 550x470, should give you a decent idea, it's pretty big really.  As for experience, bah learn on the job!  Whilst people call it modding, it's really just a bit of DIY, plan and know your limits and you'll be able to go far, and by know your limits, I mean know how to push them.

Every time I read builds like this I feel very inferior and wish I could just pay someone to make the PC for me because good grief, I know I would never have the patience or skill to do something like this.

Great build! 

Cheers man!  I had never even built a PC until ~3 years ago (had been running on an iMac), so anything is possible, no point closing the doors before even exploring the room.  That being said, there are plenty of really talented guys out there who will happily take on commissions, after all it keeps their hobby fresh and can be a great opportunity to try out new things.

I see it's been quite a while since I posted an update.  In fact it's been a bloody long time.  I've just been so busy over the last couple of months that finding the time to work on this and Azure Redux has been basically impossible.

I had meant to have the wiring all done by now, but I ran into some interesting complications.  Trying to make a direct cable from the PSU to the motherboard simply looked rubbish.  It's not long enough to twist, and since the pinout isn't 1:1, it became a messy fan.  So to counteract this, I'm changing a part of the design to allow for a very short cable that corrects the pin layout, and making a 1:1 extension instead.  This should keep things very neat and similar to the original design.  I haven't made it yet, but I'll hopefully make some progress there over the weekend, shouldn't be a huge job really.

So as not to leave you hanging, I took some more pictures!  I managed to get round to making the fill and drain ports, I also received the fans and coolant dye the other day.  I've decided to go for the black Phobya NB e-loops, which I must say look stunning in person, they should fit in with the build very nicely.

6vlj.jpg

2h4u.jpg

u183.jpg

skw5.jpg

Now that I have the time, expect more regular updates!

Bp? That thing's gonna leak, bro.

Jokes aside, I'm glad you're back. Looking forward to more updates.

Hehe, at least this one wouldn't take weeks to fix, although knowing my recent hiatus, actually that's possible  :P

YEAH FOR NOISEBLOCKERS! 

These (not the black ones however) are the fans I'm really considering!

I've been considering using them for quite a while, just haven't really had the need to (can't really justify their expense for the sake of switching fans).  My main rig has gentle typhoons, love them to bits, shame they're not being produced any longer.  In any case, I'll like some Noiseblocker e-loops over some Noctuas any day (well, unless they're going in pull that is).

Bp? That thing's gonna leak, bro.

Jokes aside, I'm glad you're back. Looking forward to more updates.

SAVE THE MARINE LIFE!

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Thanks!  I actually haven't planned the exact dimensions of the case yet, although the board itself is 550x470, should give you a decent idea, it's pretty big really.  As for experience, bah learn on the job!  Whilst people call it modding, it's really just a bit of DIY, plan and know your limits and you'll be able to go far, and by know your limits, I mean know how to push them.

Thanks ! I'll plan it now! I'll better practice some cutting.. :)