Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

Looking sweeeeet, loving the colour scheme too, keep it up!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Thanks guys!  There's lots of progress on the way, trust me.

Yeah they really look fantastic, so sleek and sophisticated, not to mention very solid (although not quite Aquacomputer solid).

Right so that teaser I promised?  Here it is!

Turns out I managed to not only buy the correct taps for the screw holes and the g1/4 fittings, but I also got the right glue for the O-rings.  Here are a few quick and crappy phone pics showing what I mean.

fzo6.jpg

Quite a beefy tapping wrench for quite a beefy tap, good to finally have one of these, should really really useful.

jx99.jpg

Look ma!  No hands!  Confirmation that I did indeed get the right things, this means I can progress with the main construction pretty smoothly.

zqgh.jpg

Probably the biggest surprise for me today, the glue actually worked.  I used a version of the one I was recommended for o-ring cord, it's bloody strong too.  This is a quick test piece I made (read really sloppy, the real ones will be much better) just to see if it would hold up.  The bond cured really fast, after just 5 minutes or so I couldn't even pull the thing apart, it just stretched.  This means I should be able to make all the o-rings without any issues!

hi bro, may i know what kind of glue you use for this oring cord? also, what size of o-ring cord you use? thanks

Looking sweeeeet, loving the colour scheme too, keep it up!

Thanks!

hi bro, may i know what kind of glue you use for this oring cord? also, what size of o-ring cord you use? thanks

I'm just using Loctite's rubber and plastic superglue. Basically you just need a normal cyano acrylate super glue, should bond the ends together no problem, be sure to practice getting a good, even bond though. The cord I used is 3mm, works a treat!

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

@DrewKho

Picked it up on eBay actually, you're right in that it's not particularly easy stuff to find (most places seem to deal to trade customers only). I have got a number of updates on the way, things are a little slow thanks to the World Cup taking up my time, won't be an issue from tomorrow though. They're only going to be little updates for a while, but hey that's the nature of the hobby I guess.

Update time!

Well with a little more time on my hands, I decided to crack on with some of the important bits of the project.  It's not exactly a big update, but each element is pretty important in it's own right.

Finally managed to get this bugger out of the way.  This teeny extension should allow the cables to pass 1:1 from the motherboard to the flipped PSU, it will also be completely hidden so don't worry.

v4tp.jpg

Also picked up this rather long extender, certainly looks the business.

0ahh.jpg

Seen this used to great effect before, should provide a nice golden glow rather than harsh white.

xzgv.jpg

2mlh.jpg

They seem to have come out pretty well

snsw.jpg

f1w6.jpg

Niicee. Looking forward to what's coming next.

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

This is good, so good.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

did you just buy these yellow inserts or did you made these yourself?

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Niicee. Looking forward to what's coming next.

Thanks, glad to have you on board!

wow i've never seen that one before :o looks promising :D

:D

This is good, so good.

Cheers!

did you just buy these yellow inserts or did you made these yourself?

Yeah as @Shaqalac mentioned they're really simple to make. I just removed the existing inserts from the RAM heatspreaders and went over them with a sharpie.

Hey man good to see you. I got banned from Bit-tech so not seen you about for a while !

I like what you did with the Dominators. I may get myself a purple sharpie hehe.

Mod on brother.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Update time!

Well with a little more time on my hands, I decided to crack on with some of the important bits of the project.  It's not exactly a big update, but each element is pretty important in it's own right.

Finally managed to get this bugger out of the way.  This teeny extension should allow the cables to pass 1:1 from the motherboard to the flipped PSU, it will also be completely hidden so don't worry.

Also picked up this rather long extender, certainly looks the business.

Seen this used to great effect before, should provide a nice golden glow rather than harsh white.

-snip-

They seem to have come out pretty well

-snip-

Do you still plan on gold plating the metal? or just leaving them with the "Golden glow"

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

Hey man good to see you. I got banned from Bit-tech so not seen you about for a while !

I like what you did with the Dominators. I may get myself a purple sharpie hehe.

Mod on brother.

Hey man, I had no idea you were banned :o, would certainly explain the lack of presence there recently. Yeah you should give it a go, should fit your purple monster build quite nicely. Best bit is that it costs only a couple quid to do in the first place, and if you don't like it, you can just pick up some new bars from Scan or something. Real fan of how Corsair implemented the upgrade kit, so simple and effective.

Do you still plan on gold plating the metal? or just leaving them with the "Golden glow"

Oh definitely, it's one of the defining features of the build after all :D Just would have looked a bit odd with the default lighting, the devil is in the details.

Mod on brother.

Join the club. I miss bit-tech so much. Great mods, shit moderators.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

also, is there any particular reason you went with the dominators rather than gold vengeance pro's ? or did you just really want to do this mod  :P

4690k | Asus Maximus vii hero | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb 2133mhz | EVGA GTX 780ti Reference | 120gb intel 530 ssd | 1tb WD black | 1tb WD Green | EVGA 750G2 | Corsair Air 540 | G502 | G240 | BenQ XL2411Z | K70 RGB

Team Robbo - Rest In Peace

OnePlus One owner

also, is there any particular reason you went with the dominators rather than gold vengeance pro's ? or did you just really want to do this mod  :P

I just love the look of the Platinums, they are IMO the best looking RAM sticks available right now. They hadn't been released when I built my main rig, so didn't get the chance to use them. Plus with the gold plating, they should have a sort of bullion look to them. That and yeah. I just wanted to do the mod :P

Make sure you give it a few coats of yellow. I did the same in my build. I got a green sharpie and coloured them in. The ends will light up white unless you go over them multiple times.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check that I have enough layers on (did 2 for the photos so may well need more).

awesome idea

Thanks!

Well I've finally managed to find both the time, drive and location to get the gold plating underway. I've decided to go with the GPU plate, the plugs, EK logos and of course the RAM heatspreaders. The reason it took a while to get to this stage is that quite frankly I didn't trust most of the plating people I checked out. There are 3 metals to be plated here, 2 of which (steel and aluminium) aren't usually accepted, so I wanted to find a place that would be able to manage fine whilst still working with individual pieces (many skip straight to trade customers only).

Whilst this isn't exactly a big update, I figured you guys might want to be kept in the loop. Here are the pics I sent to the plating people, sadly I only had my phone with me so they look a bit anaemic.

670c12.jpg

8b93f3.jpg

79b08f.jpg

c847f2.jpg

The 50p was just for scale since I doubted they'd be able to tell much about the size without something consistent. Sadly I didn't have a ruler to hand, would have been easier.

good luck with the plating ;)

Should be interesting to see how they come out. As I mentioned i decided to leave the finishes the way they were, so they'll all be gold, but slightly different. The RAM should have a satin look to it (which is what I put in the renders), whilst the GPU plate should be quite shiny and polished instead. The plugs will be very polished indeed and the EK logos somewhere in between the GPU block and RAM. It should be both consistent and varied enough to be interesting, fingers crossed.

Nice Elizabeth II coin

Her Majesty would approve, no doubt :P

What pci extension are you using?

It's just one I picked up on eBay, seems solid enough but I haven't had the chance to tr it out yet. It certainly doesn't feel flimsy and the seller had very good rep, so I'm inclined to believe it will work. I'd link the guy but I honestly can't remember where exactly I found it, haven't been able to access my eBay account either recently to check.