One More One More Thing - Apple Unveils AirPods Max

NotTheFirstDaniel

at $550 it's gonna be a tough competition against the Sony

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

29 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

It's still based on an assumption:

Assuming an even split of sales between Gen 1, Gen 2, and AirPods Pro, Airpods revenue was $12 billion in 2019.

According to Toni Sacconaghi of Bernstein,a financial analyst,the Airpods business revenue in 2019 was $6 billion.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/20/airpods-a-6-billion-business-for-apple-will-be-bigger-next-year.html

It's less than the $11.716B of NVIDIA's annual revenue for 2019,but more or less the same as AMD's $6.731B revenue for 2019.

Sources:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NVDA/nvidia/revenue

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AMD/amd/revenue

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Sennheiser smashes them no problem.

Maybe, but the ANC is the variable. Its the reason why I went with airpods pro vs other earbuds with better quality. If the ANC is as good, if not better I have a feeling apple will gain some buyers because of that.

That said. 550 bucks is about 200 dollars more than I'd want to spend on these headphones. That price is yikes. Plus I prefer open backs for home listening.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

There is no specs except "high fidelity"

so I don't trust it.

But its still has a nice appearance.

But $500 HOLY CRAP that's way to crazy but makes sense its apple.

for that much I can buy.

3 other headphones

sony CD900st

sennhiser HD 600

and sony mdr 7506 or sennhiser hd280

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

50 minutes ago, sowon said:

Christ that's expensive... It looks more form over function.

Apple does have a knack for delivering very good sound (even the HomePod mini sounds better than it has any right to), but whether or not it's $549 good is another matter. These had better sound pristine!

I would love to have these for the baller status, but if I'm at all watching my money? Not so much. I'd rather throw that bling money into a gold-hued Apple Watch.

38 minutes ago, Vishera said:

According to Toni Sacconaghi of Bernstein,a financial analyst,the Airpods business revenue in 2019 was $6 billion.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/20/airpods-a-6-billion-business-for-apple-will-be-bigger-next-year.html

You realize that analyst opinions are based on assumptions too?

I would be interested to see the methodology Sacconaghi used to calculate $6n of revenue in 2019 from AirPods, and more than double YoY revenue in 2020 of $15B, but alas I am not a Bernstein client so that won't be happening ;) regardless, don't take what an analyst tells you as the absolute truth. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

"stunning"

they're just over-ear headphones :P

or maybe stunning refers to the price

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Blade of Grass said:

You realize that analyst opinions are based on assumptions too?

Considering his track record and expirience,his analysis is more likely to be correct.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

54 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's less than the $11.716B of NVIDIA's annual revenue for 2019,but more or less the same as AMD's $6.731B revenue for 2019.

Sources:

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NVDA/nvidia/revenue

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AMD/amd/revenue

According to Fortune it's around $8 billion.

The only official thing from Apple on Airpods revenue I can find is this:

During a quarterly earnings call last week with investors, Apple CEO Tim Cook merely said that AirPods were in "phenomenal demand" without providing any details. He would only say that the company's wearables division, which includes AirPods and Apple Watch, accounts for more revenue than 300 of all Fortune 500 companies.

https://fortune.com/2019/08/06/apple-airpods-business/

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Just now, Vishera said:

Considering his track record and expirience,his analysis is more likely to be correct.

Meh, I work in the industry, I don't take anyone's opinions without seeing where it came from. Show me the data or GTFO :P 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

550 dollars for a pair of headphones are not unheard of, and Apple makes so good audio products already. I wouldn't be surprised if they have really good audio quality.

I wouldn't want to pay 550 dollars for these headphones though.

They are ugly as balls.

The case you get with them seems really bad. It barely protects the headphones at all. I would much rather have the case from the Sony XM3 or Bose CQ 35 II. Those cases protects the entire headphones. This case only protects the earcups and leaves the (probably) fragile headband completely exposed.

Are they completely wireless, with no option to plug them in? I like the option of using a wire. Also, why do they use the lighting port? That sucks ass.

Just now, Random_Person1234 said:

According to Fortune it's around $8 billion.

The only official thing from Apple on Airpods revenue I can find is this:

https://fortune.com/2019/08/06/apple-airpods-business/

That's a prediction before Q4 even began.

This year, the company will sell 50 million AirPods, at $159 for a pair, according to Wedbush analyst Dan Ives. That would translate into nearly $8 billion in revenue.

August 6, 2019

1 hour ago, sowon said:

Christ that's expensive... It looks more form over function.

I have no source for this but..

Im 99% sure that the vast majority (non enthusiasts) who buy audio products dont care at all about sound quality unless its is absolutley horrible.

Just now, mousesnob said:

Im 99% sure that the vast majority (non enthusiasts) who buy audio products dont care at all about sound quality unless its is absolutley horrible.

In this class of products there is too much bass in everything,it's annoying as hell since the excessive bass really ruins the expirience,especially when there is a dialogue and a bit of music - in which the music over powers the dialogue so you have a hard time hearing it,both in movies and video games.

They're £549 here in the UK.

Just for reference, Sony XM4s cost £349.99

Sennheiser Momentum 3 cost the same as the XM4s (£300 w/ student discount)

Heck, XM3s still sell for £220 on Amazon.

Who in their right mind would pay nearly DOUBLE the price for something that lacks basic features instead of something much more functional?

550$ and it uses lightning. I can't wait to see the lack of compatibility with anything that's not an iPhone. Let's hope these are actually worth 550$ and not just cheaper headphones with a fat apple tax.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

550$ and it uses lightning. I can't wait to see the lack of compatibility with anything that's not an iPhone .

They're wireless, so they'll work with any reasonably modern device that supports Bluetooth. Lightning is only really for charging and the off chance you'll want to plug these into a physical jack (likely using a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, not Lightning to Lightning).

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They're wireless, so they'll work with any reasonably modern device that supports Bluetooth. Lightning is only really for charging and the off chance you'll want to plug these into a physical jack (likely using a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, not Lightning to Lightning).

Issue is sound quality though with wired being a lot better if you can drive them. Am genuinely curious though. Post covid I might go to a store, see what they're like and maybe get some if they handily beat my Sennheiser Bluetooth set. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They're wireless, so they'll work with any reasonably modern device that supports Bluetooth.

From what I can recall there were various issues, or lack of features when it came to connecting air pods to an android phone, I kind of expect these to have the same issues.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Lightning is only really for charging and the off chance you'll want to plug these into a physical jack

If you spend 550$ for a pair of headphones it's kind of expected to have such features considering that most people won't spend 550$ on these for casual listening. Still, we'll have to see how they compare before drawing any conclusions.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

From what I can recall there were various issues, or lack of features when it came to connecting air pods to an android phone, I kind of expect these to have the same issues.

The main things are simply that they don't pair as easily and, of course, don't offer Siri. You can also point to a lack of software controls on non-Apple phones and computers, but it's more about convenience than whether or not they work properly.

24 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

Who in their right mind would pay nearly DOUBLE the price for something that lacks basic features instead of something much more functional?

Because you get all the "Apple features" like Spatial Audio (I'm not sure if those models have something like that yet/already) and a better build, all of which is apparently worth an extra $200. Some people may be willing to make the trade off, but like I said in my OP, is it worth it to the majority of people? Will this be another AirPods Pro or will this just be a HomePod?

Personally, I'm definitely not buying these. For them to even be on my radar they A) have to be a "sport" model for $349, and B) have to get rid of that fucking digital crown. It literally pisses me off being there, it ruins what would honestly be a nice retro design...

1 hour ago, SeraphicWings said:

at $550 it's gonna be a tough competition against the Sony

Not really

An Apple logo has way more bragging right than a Sony logo.

People think everyone buys Apple stuff just because of logo. Maybe shallow Americans with their stupid fashion brands and endless need to flash brands around to feel special. I bought AirPods 2 because they are one of rare remaining earphones without garbage a** silicone tips that I absolutely despise. And I like the way EarPods that came with iPhone XR sounded so I assumed AirPods 2 sound the same. And they do. And I only use them on Windows 10 systems. Only used them with iPhone once when i bought them to check the magical pairing, but since then, never used them with phone. And I'd buy them again. I just hope Apple will keep this classic design around and won't replace them entirely with dumb silicone "Pro" model... If you like that, have it, just leave my AirPods classic design around.